Question about PDA at Gay Days- Read first post please!

I can assure you my wife and I are not going to make out in public. We're not going during the Gay Days though. We'll be there in September. Every day at Disney is a Gay Day for us!

It's not a gay club...it's a theme park. Why would gays be insanely overaffectionate just because it's gay day?
Love is love, and that is always better than hate. If you're going to spend time worrying about other's behavior then you should focus on a negative trait rather than who those people love.

We were at DW in 2009 during Gay Days week. Historically, the week started out as one day...the first Saturday in the month of June. Gay Day has since expanded to Gay Days...and each day a different park is designated with the first saturday in June designated to the MK.

However, most other events are held off site at the host hotel (Double Tree Resort Orlando on International Drive) as well as some other non-Disney Resort hotels.

We did avoid the parks on the designated days...only because we wanted to avoid crowded parks(and I don't even know if the parks were crowded as we did not go to the designated park on the designated day...we just went to a different park). If 150,000 cub scouts designated the first Saturday in June as cubscout day at the park...we would still avoid it...again, because we were trying to avoid the crowds.

With that said...we did not not even notice PDA Straight...Gay...or any other type...and I notice detail (just ask my DH). You will have a great time!!

I can assure you my wife and I are not going to make out in public. We're not going during the Gay Days though. We'll be there in September. Every day at Disney is a Gay Day for us!

:sunny::sunny:
Nicely said! We will be there in September too! Can't wait!!!

I see no difference in the way that a gay couple acts as oppossed to a herto crouple. I also think the hand holding is adorable, btw. It's nice to see people happy!

Due to my children's school/camp schedules, we've been at WDW for Gay Day at least 6 times in the past 10 years.

IME, pda isn't the most common problem -- language is. 99% of the time, the unpleasantness gets started by a straight person who just has to taunt a gay couple for doing something totally innocuous like holding hands, and then the argument will escalate into a vulgar shouting match. WDW is usually pretty good about having CM's intervene quickly. One time (when the children we thankfully asleep), it got very ugly on a crowded resort monorail, so there was no easy escape. (That one was started by a group of teen boys, and there were no obvious gay couples in the car -- they were just being foul-mouthed braggarts and going on and on about how much they hated [insert vulgar epithets here.])

IME, since WDW switched to selling non-hopper tickets, Gay Day at the MK has gotten a lot less crowded, particularly at night. Straight families have begun avoiding MK on that day, and the childless gay couples tend to prefer going to Universal on the weekend instead, so the majority of folks who are left are gay families with young children.

When I was probably 10 years old they had gay day at Kings Island. That was early 80's. It wasn't a big deal then for me so I doubt anything will phase my kids. PDA is typically worse when it's the redneck that's had too much to drink starts feeling up his girlfriend w/ too few clothes on. I get tired of seeing T&A, put some clothes on.

:rotfl:, at first I was like......huh :confused3 what is T&A and then I was like :rotfl2:, I know, I'm a little slow at first:rolleyes1

Awesome Sauce RainbowBrite!

It's not a gay club...it's a theme park. Why would gays be insanely overaffectionate just because it's gay day?
Love is love, and that is always better than hate. If you're going to spend time worrying about other's behavior then you should focus on a negative trait rather than who those people love.

I don't think you understand. This thread is not for being offensive (which I found your post to be). I started this thread because I was merely curious. I read other people's opinions on other sites and they said some nasty things. I just wanted to confirm or disprove. I'm not saying that people who are gay, bi, or transgender are insanely overaffectionate. I'm just curious. And yes, watching two men or two women make out makes me uncomfortable. It's just not what I'm accustomed to.

Awesome Sauce RainbowBrite!

I don't think you understand. This thread is not for being offensive (which I found your post to be). I started this thread because I was merely curious. I read other people's opinions on other sites and they said some nasty things. I just wanted to confirm or disprove. I'm not saying that gays are insanely overaffectionate. I'm just curious. And yes, watching two men or two women make out makes me uncomfortable. It's just not what I'm accustomed to.

Personally, seeing any two people "make out" in a family environment makes me uncomfortable, straight or gay!:thumbsup2

We were there last year during gay days and did not see anything inappropriate in the parks. Were they couples holding hands, yes....was the occasionally quick smooch on the cheek or lips, yes....to me, perfectly acceptable loving gestures. We didn't notice anything vulgar or over the top.

That being said, I do understand why the OP is asking. There does seem to a be a VERY small minority in the Gay and Lesbian community that want to be "in-your-face" about things like this, just as there are a small minority of heterosexuals (mostly males) that want to make it into issue if the see a same sex couple holding hands.

Honestly, I think those incidents are few and far between at DW Gay Days, because MOST of the families there are there to have fun as a family or a couple, and just be themselves, whether they are straight, homosexual, or bisexual. I think you should go and enjoy yourself and your family. It certainly didn't have any impact on our vacation last year. :goodvibes

I guess I just don't worry about PDA anywhere. If someone (gay, bi, straight, or any other) is being inappropriate with their partner at the wrong time in a public place I'll say something.

JMHO here, I don't think your question is inappropriate, however, I do think your language might be, although, I bet it was unintentional. When you say things like "The Gays" or "gays" to me, it makes it sound like you think of the individuals you are describing as a disease you don't want to catch, or some sort of scary alien you don't want to be around. Again, i'm sure it was unintentional, but nevertheless, some could find it insulting. I find using people first language is usually the best way to not sound offensive. All that means is instead of saying "the gays" or whatever you say something a little more wordy like the people who are gay, or whatever works with your sentence formation. I may be way off base here, but I worked for an Independent Living Center for about 10 years, working with individuals from various backgrounds, and always found people first language to be less likely to cause conflict.

*steps off soapbox*

I have been during Gay Days a few times. It falls during my birthday and hey... I like to spend my birthday at Disney. The first time I went I didn't realize it. I do have to say though that I had finally gotten to see my favorite parade. I called my BFF to tell her about it and mentioned the really great "scenery". Tons of really cute guys in the Magic Kingdom. She reminded me that it was Gay Days. I enjoyed the view anyway.
I have never notice anything offensive during Gay Days. I did overhear something offensive. I was waiting for the boys to finish checking out Tattoine Traders when I overheard a woman thowing an absolute fit because there were gay people around her and her child. Seriously? If you have made it to around 4PM and hadn't noticed then your child will not be scared for life.

I went last year during gay days and I dsnt notice anymore PDA than a straight couple. Some of the gay couples had really great shirts on that were really entertainig to read in the lines! I was actually disappointed we were missing Gay Days this year! Have a great time!

Same here! I saw some awesome t-shirts (including one with a rainbow colored storm trooper that I would LOVE to have for one of my best friends). We are going in August this year, and I actually got a little sad that we won't be there during Gay Days (and SWW).

We are usually on our WDW vacation during Gay Days (falls on my Birthday) and have never, ever had any problems or issues at all. The only noticable difference is a lot more matching shirts;) Hopefully, you'll be having too much fun with your own family to notice what any other families are doing. Seriously, you won't likely see anything that you'd wouldn't see on any given day at WDW. Have fun:thumbsup2

Do you ever see teens at the mall kissing or handing hands or having their hands around someones waist, well expect to see some of that but in most cases it is just couples being couples.

I have been to Disney many times and have witnessed straight Newlyweds, teens and couples acting R rated at the parks. Their are always people like that everyday.

During Gay Days there will be a few times you might see something, but it is not the norm.

An easy way to explain to kids at Gay Days is
Sometimes a Prince wants a Princess
Other times a Prince wants a Prince
or if it is two women - A Princess wants a Princess

Why would it be any different than any other day? Just because a bunch of straight people get together does the PDA level go up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter