Question about charging to your room

loser1824

In love with Pixie Dust!
Okay, so we go to Disney every year but this year our Budget is really tight. Our package has been paid for and we are only allowing ourselves a certain amount of spending money.

Usually we just charge to our room using our key to the world card. But, since we are really budgeting we want to know what we spend but also don't want to carry cash. So my question is this: Can we purchase a gift card and put the gift card on our key to the world card for charging? :confused:

Thanks.

Yes, I understand that you can do that, or you can put cash or a debit card against your account as well. I have not done either.

We were in the same boat on our June trip, and I just purchased gift cards before we went and used them all week and only charged 1 or 2 small things on our KTTW card (which had a regular credit card attached). It was very nice to come home and not feel like we had overspent while we were there, which is so easy to do with the KTTW card, to me.

we always take cash and put that on our room card. once a guy checking us in said they really hated when people do that but the other 6 trips they have said it is fine. They just gave us back any cash left at the end... never very much cash left at the end though

Okay, so we go to Disney every year but this year our Budget is really tight. Our package has been paid for and we are only allowing ourselves a certain amount of spending money.

Usually we just charge to our room using our key to the world card. But, since we are really budgeting we want to know what we spend but also don't want to carry cash. So my question is this: Can we purchase a gift card and put the gift card on our key to the world card for charging? :confused:

Thanks.

It would be two cards but you can just use the gift card in the parks. That's what we do for our trips. My husband gets gift cards as thank yous from one of his vendors so that's our spending money.

I don't know about the gift cards, but on our last trip, if we purchased anything with the KTTW, we went to the concierge when we got back (or before we left for the parks the next morning) and settled up with cash. You could probably settle up with the gift cards that way.

I don't know if that would curb your spending because you'd see your total every night...:confused3

for the first time ever..... I will be charging things to our room. Seeing as we will be enjoying ourselves at the F&WF and all those carts, it will be easier to have the resort hold my card number and use my room key for it all.

I don't know if it will help curb your spending since I don't know if your key will be denied if you hit your limit. It may just charge it against the room and you would still owe money on your room when you checked out.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! Settling it with cash at night or the next morning sounds like a good idea. We might put a cc on the room and just settle it with cash, and when the cash is done - that's it. (Let's hope):lmao:

If you don't want to take cash with you at all, I believe you can set a limit for every person in your room.
They automatically set it at a certain amount, but you can change the amount to lower, or none at all.
You'll still have a credit card attached to your KTTW, but it will only be charged to a certain point.

You can attach a gift card if you want, but if you have any money left over (haha!) then it will still be on the gift card.

I don't know if it will help curb your spending since I don't know if your key will be denied if you hit your limit. It may just charge it against the room and you would still owe money on your room when you checked out.
It doesn't work that way if you're using cash or a gift card to back up the room charge. In that case, if you exceed your limit, the Key To The World card WILL be denied. The room charge has to be backed up with something ... Disney doesn't extend credit to you. If your cash or gift card is used up by the room charge account meeting the upper limit, then no other room charges can be made unless you go to the front desk and set up another room charge.

In the case of credit/debit cards, different resorts and perhaps even different CMs do different things. Some automatically set up a new room charge account after the limit is met (that is, the credit/debit card is charged, and then a fresh room charge account is automatically started), and some won't have it done automatically and instead you have to call or visit the front desk to verbally authorize a new room charge to be set up.

1) In your case, just leave a cash deposit to back up KTTW charges.
2) When the cash is gone, there is no more charging to that key card.
3) In fact, everyone could have a different limit on their key card.
. . . each of the kids can have a different limit
. . . each of the adults can have a different limit
. . . example: four people can have four different limits

Every year, I keep myself to a budgeted amount. I take a binder clip and a calculator. Each night, I add up what I have spent and add the previous days and keep a running tally of what I have spent to date......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter