Public School State Mandated Tests

Tinijocaro

DIS Veteran
Do you share with your children the grades they receive on these state mandated tests? In New York State, the tests are required at various grade levels for ELA and Math. They are graded on a rubric of 1-4.

I have never shared with my children the grades they receive. Just as I would never share an IQ test score. They receive the results so far after the test is taken it would serve no purpose to share that information. I also do not believe these tests serve anyone except the state and are a complete waste of time and money. The poor teachers having to prepare students for these tests. The poor students having to get stressed out by these tests.

Shortly we will all be going to have Federal testing. Same test every state. According to the teachers in our school.

And no I don't share their results with my kids.

Do you share with your children the grades they receive on these state mandated tests? In New York State, the tests are required at various grade levels for ELA and Math. They are graded on a rubric of 1-4.

I have never shared with my children the grades they receive. Just as I would never share an IQ test score. They receive the results so far after the test is taken it would serve no purpose to share that information. I also do not believe these tests serve anyone except the state and are a complete waste of time and money. The poor teachers having to prepare students for these tests. The poor students having to get stressed out by these tests.

Our kids are given a 3 digit number score. Passing grade is different by grade level. They send them home with the kids. They see the scores before I do. My twins have a competition every year. The rest of them really don't seem to care. They all count how many Met, Exemplary, or Not Met's they have, but they forget about them in a few days. At the middle school level it affects what classes they're placed in. My twins both scored Exemplary in English/Reading, along with decent MAP (computer test taken 2x a year) scores, and both were placed in Honors English in 8th grade. They didn't do nearly as well in math, so they're in lower level math classes.

I agree they're a total waste of time and I'm a teacher. Teachers have to drill nothing but test material into the kids heads. A kid having a bad day gets a low score, but may get great grades on their report card. Thank your politicians for the testing craze.

My daughters school always shared the scores with the kids....

Not sure why I wouldn't want her to know.:confused3

I have always shared them with my kids, my DD and one of her friends would always compare scores. I guess I never saw a reason why they shouldn't know what they scored.

Ours don't begin until later elementary school. I don't see any problem with telling my kids the results. They work hard all year with these tests in mind so I know they want to know how they did. If I had a child who had trouble with test taking I might try to downplay the results, but my kids always seem to score right about where I would expect based on their intelligence and their performance in school.

I have always shared them with my kids, my DD and one of her friends would always compare scores. I guess I never saw a reason why they shouldn't know what they scored.

Not only did my DD (and each of my boys) know their scores, but DD was recognized for her score. Don't know why the scores should be kept from them.:confused3

My oldest took his firs standardized test last year and will take the "big" one this year.

Of course we shared the scores with him..why wouldn't we? :confused3 He looked at them, asked questions about what they meant and that was it. When I took the skills testing in elementary school I always saw and reviewed my scores as well. I don't get the big deal or understand why they should be hidden from them.

The school has always shared the scores but they never meant much until now. This year she take the algebra 1 test and bio test. If they don't pass the state test they don't pass the class regardless what their final grade is

Not only did my DD (and each of my boys) know their scores, but DD was recognized for her score. Don't know why the scores should be kept from them.:confused3

I agree, and would add, I have never heard of a school not sharing the scores with students.

Of course I do. They worked for them and earned them. Why wouldn't I?

Yes, I did. Here in CT, the grades are given as "does not meet goal" "achieved goal" "exceeded goal" or something like that (it's been a few years so I dont' remember exactly) in each area, and there is also a percentile score of where the score falls relative to all other students in that grade level in the state. I did tell my daughter what her scores were. Last eyar when she took the PSATs and the CAPT (the test for 10th graders) I also shared the score reports with her because she was interested in knowing how she did.

Oh, and I always always stressed to her that she should do her best so that she gets a good score, but I tell her that these tests are NOT to evaluate her, but rather that they are for evaluating the teachers and the curriculum (at least that is still true in my state, I know it's not the case in all states).

It's my understanding that our testing will change this year but in NC, they take EOG's ( end of grade test ) in grades 3-8. Each child's score is categorized at 1-4 ( 4 being the highest, 2 or 1 is not passing ). The kids all know within days of taking the tests whether or not the got at least a 3 because if they got a 2 or 1, they will retest. The parents are not notified of scores unless their child goes to remediation to retest. About a week after they do retests, my child's teachers have always told them their score. As a parent, I have rarely known my child's score until the last day of school when they send them home with report cards.

The school has always shared the scores but they never meant much until now. This year she take the algebra 1 test and bio test. If they don't pass the state test they don't pass the class regardless what their final grade is

Yup, Last year DD had to pass the Algebra test or her graduation would be in jeopardy. I got the results, but DD only cared if she passed or not.

Our children haven't taken any standardized tests yet, but I honestly cannot imagine not telling our DD7 how she did on a test. Out son has special needs, so I suppose that one we will play by ear when the time comes, but I cannot understand why I wouldn't tell my daughter how she's doing.

I have always shared my kid's scores with them. They took the test, they should know their score. :confused3

I seriously don't understand why I wouldn't tell my kid how they did on any test. They school tells them how they did on them anyway so it isn't up to the parents.

No, and we are also in NY. For one of my kids, these tests are random number generators. One year she gets in the 95th percentile for Language Arts and in the 60% percentile for math. The following year the scores are similar, but completely reversed. There is no consistency, and I don't think they measure anything meaningful at all.

It's my understanding that our testing will change this year but in NC, they take EOG's ( end of grade test ) in grades 3-8. Each child's score is categorized at 1-4 ( 4 being the highest, 2 or 1 is not passing ). The kids all know within days of taking the tests whether or not the got at least a 3 because if they got a 2 or 1, they will retest. The parents are not notified of scores unless their child goes to remediation to retest. About a week after they do retests, my child's teachers have always told them their score. As a parent, I have rarely known my child's score until the last day of school when they send them home with report cards.

Same here. I'm also in NC. My kids are past all that testing, but they've been the ones to inform me of their grades for them. As noted above, if they don't get a 3 or 4, they have to retest right away, but my kids have always done well on them, so no retesting. And we do get a breakdown with their final report card...which I also let my kids see.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want your kids to see their test grades. ??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter