PTR Ticking the boxes - Europe May 2013-update DLP

Aussie Wendy

DIS Veteran
Inspired by all the PTRs for 2013 decided I need to share the excitement with those who don’t roll their eyes in response to my answer when they ask me “So where’s your next trip?” Answer: May/June Disneyland Paris, England to visit friends, Scotland and Spain.

This was actually going to be a Sept or Oct trip but work deadlines intervened and it was a case of perhaps not going at all – so I manipulated our lives and the planets aligned to allow DH and I to head off in May with DD-who refuses to miss out totally, hopefully joining us for the Scotland and Spain expeditions.

The cast-me, a 50-something travel-holic, fantasy-nerd, who works to support her next fix.
DH, also 50-something-says he just comes to carry the bags, really a convert.
DD-21, postgraduate student, science and fantasy geek, who never wants to be left out and wangles as much leave as she can into a year to combine tripping with us with adventures of her own.

The Plan in brief

Sat 11 May. Fly Singapore airlines Brisbane to Singapore, using a Singapore Airlines Stopover+attractions package at Hotel Peninsular Excelsior.
Sun 12 May. Flight out just after midnight Sat. Singapore to DLP, staying at the Hotel Cheyenne
http://hotels.disneylandparis.co.uk/hotels/hotel-cheyenne/index.xhtml
Mon-Fri 13-17 May. DLP including one day in Paris
Fri 17 May. Travel to London and then by train up to Peterborough and hire a car. Stay in self-contained lodgings so can visit friends in area:
http://www.flipkey.com/peterborough-vacation-rentals/p181432/
Monday 20th May. Drive down to Ware to visit rellies in area. Stay for a week in self-contained barn
http://www.dalmondsbarns.co.uk/badgersgallery.html
Thursday 23. Tix to Chelsea Flower Show. Possibly overnight with friends in London.
Friday 24th. Sightseeing/shopping London. Collect DD from Heathrow in eve, back to Ware.
Sat 25th. Visit Leavensden Studios for the Harry Potter Studio Tour
http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/
Sun 26th. Back up to Peterborough for DD to see friends. Overnight to be organised when there. Return car.
Mon 27th May. Train to Edinburgh. Overnight 2 nights
http://www.bluerainbowapartments.com/index.html#
Wed 29th May. Collect hire car and drive to Skye 3 nights
http://www.skyepicturehouse.com/#!skye-picture-house-home-page/mainPage
Sat 1 June. Drive to Inverness and stay at Kingussie 2 nights
http://arden-house.info/index.html
Mon 3 June. Fly from Aberdeen airport to Gatwick. Overnight Travelodge.
Tues 4 June-Sat 8 June. Fly to Seville. 4 nights self contained apartment in Seville. Includes one day, a day trip by train to Cordoba.
http://www.apartments-lacasadelconde.com/apartments-lacasadelconde.com/WELCOME.html
Sat 8 June. Train to Granada 2 nights, staying at
http://solarmontesclaros.es/Ingles/LaCasa.html
Sun 9 June. Focus of the day the Alhambra (pre book tix).
Mon 10 June. Flight to Barcelona. 4 nights self contained apartment
http://gaudisnest.com/
Fri 14 June. Fly to Singapore
Sat 15 June. Arrive Singapore. Stay Capri by Fraser
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294265-d3291174-Reviews-Capri_by_Fraser_Changi_City-Singapore.html
DD flies back to Aus later in day.
Sun 16 June. We fly home.

I'm on board! So much visiting and sight-seeing, and the Chelsea flower show - sounds like a great trip!

The Detail

Singapore
DH and I are whimps and can’t face the long haul to Europe in one go so break for the night in Singapore and as the flight out doesn’t leave til midnight Sun have 24 hours to do some sightseeing in Singapore-last visited properly in 1997 so expect to see lots of changes. Waiting to see if Singapore airlines continue their current wonderful deal with good value hotel, free HoHo bus, free entry to tons of attractions and airport transfers-currently only extends to 31 March. For this OCD planner getting twitchy as good (non refundable) hotel deals are being advertised but I am hanging out for a SA deal.

Paris
We arrive early am on Monday so plan to head out to Disney-probably catch the VEA shuttle bus rather than cope with the train and my rustic French while dopey from lack of sleep. Visit the parks til room availability + jetlag kicks in. Staying at Hotel Cheyenne-essentially a “value” hotel, wild west theme and I like the village-style layout and, like all on-site hotels, includes continental breakfast and early hours entry (not that a lot of rides are open). Of the next 3 full days, I have planned that we spend Tues and Thursday in the parks and Wed, most likely, in Paris. Plan to eat at Agrabah café one lunch
http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/disneyland-park/adventureland/agrabah-cafe-restaurant/

and probably Walt’s, one of the signature restaurants another.
http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/disneyland-park/main-street-usa/walts-an-american-restaurant/

We don't know what hours the park will be open yet but they are still advertising the 20th celebrations for another year so here's hoping we score one late night with the Dreams show (otherwise its too light when they close at eg 8pm for the show). Given we are only there week nights in a low season week I am not holding my breath though.

We will spend one day and evening in Paris-catching the train into the city. I have a wet weather option and a dry weather option and some shortlisted restaurants for a nice lunch for each. Both include starting the day climbing the stairs to the second level of the Eiffel Tower with the option of buying an add-on ticket to the top if the weather is good (we have never been up the Tower in fine weather yet!) Then on a fine day we will walk the Promenade Plantee (the inspiration for the Highline in NYC) and a wet day we will fight the hordes and queues at the Musee D'Orsay and do the discount entry to Musee de L'Orangerie. Its late night opening to the Louvre so we will end the day there before heading to the Arc de Triomphe for the view of the Tower (twinkling on the hour) from the top and catch one of the last trains back to DLP (if our stamina holds up).

Friday plan to catch the Eurostar to London-from central Paris as the DLP direct leaves too late in the day, then the train up to Peterborough where we will hire a car for a week. We spend the weekend visiting old school friends of mine who live in and around this area.

I really like Cheyenne. Yes, it's a 'value' but I think it's better themed than the US ones. The rooms are more value than the hotel as a complex. The lobby, bar, and exteriors are pretty impressive with really great theming.

It sounds wonderful. You are in for a fabulous time.

Barcelona was my favourite European city, the Gaudi architecture is a sight to behold. The apartment buildings with the funny statues on the roof (name fails me at present) was my favourite Gaudi building. It has (had?) a really interesting museum inside.

There is also a music hall (Palau de la Musica Catalana) which was the most beautiful building I've ever been in. Make sure you book yourself on one of the tours.

England

After a weekend of anticipated non-stop talking, on Monday 20th we head southwards to a place called Ware, where I have rellies and friends in the surrounding area. We have booked a self-contained barn cottage for the week-looks really nice. In the past we have stayed in grotty, noisy Travelodges while visiting here (rellies have no room at the inn unfortunately) so this will be a nice change!

Thursday we were meant to be staying with friends in London but I skyboshed plans a bit by getting tix to the Chelsea Flower Show which happened to be open to the public from Thursday. Since I have always talked of visiting here I snapped them up. All being well we will still stay with our friends then spend Friday doing some sightseeing or shopping in London-haven't planned this bit yet and need to think about what we want to do that's new for us-possibly the Sir John Soames Museum.

Friday evening DD flies in to Heathrow. We will go out to the airport to meet her and train back to Ware. Saturday I plan to book the Harry Potter tour at Leavesden Studios (not very far from where we are staying). A must for HP fans and lots of enticing pics on other people’s TR on the Disboards. Sunday we head back up to Peterborough so DD gets to say hello and we say a final farewell to friends. Plan a random hotel for the night near the train station.

Scotland
Monday 27th-train to Edinburgh (3.5 hrs vs 6-7 hrs drive). Staying in an aparthotel. A lot of the great B&Bs either didn’t fit 3 or were already booked out! And I wanted to be close to the centre with such a short time. They get mixed reviews but for only 2 nights they should be fine.

I am still planning our day and half here, where we’ll eat etc but starred on our list is the Castle, the Royal Mile, St Giles Cathedral and the Museum. Still making up our minds about visiting Holyrood House and Carlton Hill or Arthur's Seat. I have been studying the ABD trip to see what they see and do!

Wednesday we collect a hire car and head north to Skye for 3 nights via stops at Falkirk for the Falkirk Wheel (engineering marvel for DH), Doune Castle (MP & The Holy Grail filmed here), Glencoe, Ben Nevis Mountain Experience outside Fort William (gondola up Aonach Mor the 8th highest mountain in Britain and provided time, a short hike up top) and if time, Eileen Doonan Castle. Probably picnic or pub lunch.

We are staying near Broadford on Skye as we plan to spend our 2 days in different directions so this is the most central though apparently not as scenic as the main town of Portree. Staying at Skye Picture House right on the shore of the loch-gets great reviews. Sometimes they have otters in front on the shore-so here’s hoping!

Thursday we will do the Trotterness Peninsular drive up past the main town of Portree and around the tip stopping at all the lookouts and detouring to do the 3 hours Quiraing hike and perhaps the hike to Rubha Humish at the northernmost tip if we have time/energy/it’s fine. Picnic lunch.

Friday unless the weather is awful, I will book a boat trip out of Elgol to Loch Scaivaig with views of the Cuillens (for readers of William Horwood’s The Stonor Eagles a must-do). Then in the afternoon we will check out the Kylerhea otter hides and if time catch the ferry across to Glenelg to see the Iron Age Brochs (or do them on the way out tomorrow).

Saturday we drive across to Inverness. DH and DD are keen to visit the Loch Ness Exhibition at the Visitors Centre (very scientific orientated debunking myths and for that reason not popular with reviewers it seems!) then Urqurhart Castle. Lunch at either the VC or the Castle-both have recommended cafes. Hope to have time to pop out to the Clava Cairns (Neolithic) outside Inverness (and if the day goes amazingly slowly Culloden Battlefield managed by the National Trust that gets rave reviews).
Saturday and Sunday nights we are staying at Arden House B&B at Kingussie- a converted highland Victorian villa.

Sunday DD wants a horse ride at Rothiemurchis Estate in the nearby Cairngorms so DH and I will do one of their walks I expect as I am not up to the DD’s intermediate riding level or we could catch the funicular railway to the top of the Cairn Gorm mountain and ski area for the views (can’t go out of the station unless on one of their rare guided walks). Then in the pm we will go the Highland Wildlife Park which looks really good with lots of native wildlife like Scottish wildcats, pine martens, otters as well as European wolves, polar bears and tigers.

Monday-we head across to the coast. Still planning the route. We could go via the whiskey producing area with its tasting distilleries (but we aren't keen on whiskey?) but definitely fitting in Dunnottar Castle over on the coast (inspiration for Merida’s castle in Brave, also home to William Wallace aka Braveheart). From here its not far up to Aberdeen airport where we have an evening flight to Gatwick, a cheap overnighter in a Travelodge (£17 for 3) and we fly out for Spain very early the next morning.

Spain
When I was researching flights out of Edinburgh we were getting in very late Tues night to Seville so I needed a 24 hr reception hotel near the airport bus drop-off hence we booked into Hotel Alcantara. As its happened we now should get in midday but decided in case of probs (flying cheap airlines after all) I would leave the booking stand.

Wed-Fri we have 3 more nights in Seville staying in a self-contained apartment in the historical centre of Seville in a converted 17thC manor house. Over two of the days we will visit the Cathedral and Alcazar, wander the narrow windy streets of the Barrio de Santa Cruz, visit the Parque de Maria Luisa ( can I persuade DH to let us take a horse and carriage-debatable given his track record!) and probably visit Casa de Pilatos renowned for its Arabian tilework. Also would like to see the modern Metropol Parasol at Plaza de la Encarnacion. Haven’t researched where to eat yet anywhere in Spain-that’s next but will also see what our various hosts recommend. One evening here or in Granada we will probably join the throngs to see a flamenco show.

On the Thursday or Friday we will train to Cordoba for the day to visit the infamous Mezquita-one of the earliest & most beautiful examples of Moorish religious architecture. Inside from pics it’s like a forest of 850 columns in jasper, marble, granite & onyx and 2 tier candy-striped arches. We’ll also wander the labyrinth medieval Juderia-bit like Seville’s Santa Cruz and visit the gardens of the Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos.

Saturday we catch an early train to Granada. Staying at a wonderful sounding B&B – they even meet you from the airport or train station. Located in the Albayzin, the old Arab quarter and perched on a hill with views across to the Alhambra. Don’t know which room we will be in –apparently they put a 3rd bed for DD into the room-be a nice surprise as they all look wonderful on the web! Breakfasts get rated very highly here too.

Sunday I will prebook tickets to the Alhambra (must get onto that soon!)-my whole reason for going to Spain- well a major one! I have wanted to see if ever since studying Ancient History in high school. As well as the Palace and gardens, back downtown we will also explore the Capilla Real-the private chapel and burial place of the Catholic monarchs Isabella of Castile & Ferdinand of Aragon.

Monday we will fly to Barcelona. Had hoped to get a later pm flight but looks like it will be in the am. I am sure when we arrive I will wish we had one day less in Seville and one more day at the guesthouse in Granada-however Seville got booked first! But everyone raves about Seville so we will see.

We stay 4 nights til Friday in Barcelona at Gaudi’s Nest apartments directly opposite the Sagrida Famille-we will be able to watch its evening light-up from our windows or the shared top floor terrace. This place also gets rave reviews.

So far plans are Tuesday explore the Barri Gotic, the Cathedral, Museu d’Historia de la Cuitat in the Palau Reial Major, El Born and Las Ramblas. IF we manage to do some of this Monday then in the later pm hope to catch the cable car up to Montjuic and walk back down and watch the fountain display in the evening (if it’s on that day).

Wednesday is Gaudi Day visiting inside the Sagrada, inside Casa Batllo, walking tour past the other Gaudi sights in l’Eixample and out to Parc Guell.

Thursday is probably a half day trip by train and cable car out to Monserrat. The other half of the day Montjuic if haven’t done that or whatever else we have missed and is a must-see.

Friday-I had hoped to have most of the day for last minute sightseeing and shopping but they recently changed the flights and we now leave early am getting back to Brisbane still on Sunday so shopping may now occupy Thurs pm.

That's the plans-details and tix for various things still to be sorted but I can't wait- 1) I get to see another castle and get my DL fix and 2) I tick off an item that has long been on my bucket list plus a short tour of Scotland, another place on my to do list. As always lots of help has been garnered from Dis trip reports, especially cruise boards (pre and post Barcelona stops) and the Paris and British site. I know me too well to know I won't blog whilst away - I am amazed how so many of you find time/energy but will do a trippie with pics on return.

It was annoying me trying to think of the name of that Gaudi building so I googled it - La Pedrera.
The outside is not as ornate as some of the other Gaudi buildings, but the exhibits inside are really interesting.

I really like Cheyenne. Yes, it's a 'value' but I think it's better themed than the US ones. The rooms are more value than the hotel as a complex. The lobby, bar, and exteriors are pretty impressive with really great theming.

Thanks-that's reassuring. With a big trip I just couldn't justify the extra $ to go more upmarket though Hotel NY was tempting. On past experience at DLR's We just tend to sleep in our rooms anyway (apart from a slower week we spent at WDW where we had a bit more down time).

It sounds wonderful. You are in for a fabulous time.

Barcelona was my favourite European city, the Gaudi architecture is a sight to behold. The apartment buildings with the funny statues on the roof (name fails me at present) was my favourite Gaudi building. It has (had?) a really interesting museum inside.

There is also a music hall (Palau de la Musica Catalana) which was the most beautiful building I've ever been in. Make sure you book yourself on one of the tours.

Music Hall duly noted and added to list to research further (times etc)-thanks! I have one friend who has visited and loved Barcelona but it was a long time ago. Of all the Spanish cities it has always appealed the most and I still doubt my 3 full days in Seville-sure I should have subtracted 1 day and added it elsewhere instead but it also is my thought one day might be more of a down time day-we will need it!

It was annoying me trying to think of the name of that Gaudi building so I googled it - La Pedrera.
The outside is not as ornate as some of the other Gaudi buildings, but the exhibits inside are really interesting.

I keep changing my mind whether to see this one or Battlo-so far leaning towards Battlo from descriptions from others and pics but not made my mind up properly yet.

Aussie Wendy said:
I keep changing my mind whether to see this one or Battlo-so far leaning towards Battlo from descriptions from others and pics but not made my mind up properly yet.

Perhaps do both :-)
I was only in Barcelona a few days but managed to see heaps. The Hop on hop off bus was an easy way of getting around.
Admitedly, I only saw Casa Batllo from the outside - it is stunning - and I'd still love to see the inside. I went to Pedrera instead on advice from my best friend and tour guide. I'm so happy she took me there. There's a period apartment set up inside (furniture and all) that you can walk around. It's just beautiful. I still daydream about living there.

Although, my favourite place in all of Barcelona was the music hall I mentioned. Do visit it, it's truely something spectacular. Just make sure you organise a tour (or book seats at a concert). Tourists can't wander in on their own.

AussieWendy, this is the first time I've read about your trip in detail. Wow! It is awesome. I am jealous already. Like most of us here, I have places to go...and England and Scotland are on the list. I last went as a child and have no memory of it. We went to Barcelona in April 2010 and we loved it! A city so vibrant and full of life. I would love to visit the rest of Spain and so will be following your TR very close.

Just finally catching up. Been lurking but haven't posted. Spain is on our bucket list; somewhere near the top. Looking forward to this planning and trip report.

AussieWendy, this is the first time I've read about your trip in detail. Wow! It is awesome. I am jealous already. Like most of us here, I have places to go...and England and Scotland are on the list. I last went as a child and have no memory of it. We went to Barcelona in April 2010 and we loved it! A city so vibrant and full of life. I would love to visit the rest of Spain and so will be following your TR very close.

When you get back from your current adventure and have any tips like Wanderlust NZ to share on Barcelona-share away!! I always get scared when it starts getting close like this and I am excited about it something will go wrong and prevent us from going. I know you all know what I mean.

What a fabulous trip you have in store! I'm pulling up a pew.

You've chosen some interesting places to visit in England & Scotland. I'm looking forward to reading about the details and seeing the photos. Barcelona was also my favourite European city - another vote for the hop on hop off bus.

Just reading the latest Frequent Flyer website goss and a thread about a whether a passport expiry date was too close to meet the visiting country's requirements made me ask DH-when do our passports expire? 2020 for me and DD he says-yours isn't til next year (which he said when I mentioned it 6 months ago too but silly me didn't check for myself)... Well I double checked...opps-guess who needs to get a new passport NOW! Thank heavens for useful blogsites! Where did those 10 years go-it feels like just yesterday I was in doing the renewal form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter