PTR Ticking the boxes - Europe May 2013-update DLP

:wave: I've been reading along but can't work out why I haven't subbed in yet. :confused3

Better late than never!

Your trip sounds great and yes....great pick-up on the passport. :thumbsup2

Good thing you checked the passport. You have plenty of time before you leave to get it fixed up :thumbsup2

Don't feel like an idiot - that's why you checked! At least you're not like my DH who I kept hassling to check his passport and when he was packing the night before his trip couldn't find it :scared1:

What a wonderful trip you have planned!

I'll be very interested to hear what you think of Spain - my oldest DS is leaving (tonight) to study in San Sebastian for 6 months as part of his degree. I was disappointed that we were unable to wangle a trip while he was there - Spain sounds wonderful :thumbsup2

I'm sure you'll enjoy Scotland too, we also visited the Falkirk Wheel ( it was also on my DH's list...these guys just love an engineering marvel don't they! :rotfl2: ) and loved Glencoe, Eileen Donan etc. I remeber standing looking cross to the castle while a young boy played the bagpipes - magic memories!

We didn't get across to Skye though and it's on my "when we get back there" list so I'm particularly keen to hear about that part of your trip :)

Andona

Sounds like a fantastic trip:cool1:
I also had always wanted to go to the Alhambra after my ancient history classes in school too::yes::(as well as pompeii, Ephesus and acropolis) been able to tick them all off, the Alhambra is amazing, make sure you have have plenty of time to explore and enjoy, I was on a tour, so felt a bit rushed.
Look forward to keeping up to date and seeing all the photos:banana:

Thanks for all your comments everyone. It will be an interesting mix.

Gogo65 have ticked off Pompei, Forum, Acropolis and Delphi but not Ephesus yet. Med cruise might be the answer though we both get sick in a tinny in a river so not promising-hence my lack of enthusiasm for cruises than many of you.

Andona I hope to hear bagpipes somewhere during the trip too. Being walkers looking forward to at least one long hike while on Skye unless the weather is too bad. So exciting for your son. My daughter decided not to do an exchange when she was studying (I thought she missed a great opportunity) but she plans to go overseas later for her postdoc work. She is about to depart this weekend on a 5 week Asia trip with a friend which is exciting for her. I am jealous of some of the things they have planned but some of it is outside my comfort zone!

Excited to read on the Paris boards that thanks to the Saudi Prince we now have Aristocrats at DLP. A special one off for the prince and his family visit on Valentines Day is being tipped to become regular appearances-would love a meet and greet. Aristocrats was my first ever Disney movie and I still love it. Its the 3 kittens Toulouse, Berlioz and Marie-now if it was O'Malley I'd be mowing down any of the European pushy families with kidlets I've been reading about, to get there first!

Excited to read on the Paris boards that thanks to the Saudi Prince we now have Aristocrats at DLP. A special one off for the prince and his family visit on Valentines Day is being tipped to become regular appearances-would love a meet and greet. Aristocrats was my first ever Disney movie and I still love it. Its the 3 kittens Toulouse, Berlioz and Marie-now if it was O'Malley I'd be mowing down any of the European pushy families with kidlets I've been reading about, to get there first!

What great news! I love that movie and the music! Looking forward to your pictures of the kittens!

Just have to share-I got our Alhambra tix - yaay! I have heard these sell out so fast and people (ie Americans and some Brits) have issues buying tix due to Spanish Ticketmaster security system. Been stalking the site almost daily since mid Feb and missed it yesterday and that's when they must have snuck them up. 9am time slot had already sold out but got 9.30am and since I have (like almost all aussies) verified by Visa on my CC absolutely no probs purchasing the tix.

Just the train fares to Scotland to go-also due for release imminently too! Oh and DH booking the car hire-he often gets great discounts through a work deal so its one I can't do. Have to up the nagging!!

Aussie Wendy WOW!!!!! Your trip sounds amazing, London and Europe is definitely on my to do list and this sounds just fabulous ;)

Just have to share-I got our Alhambra tix - yaay! I have heard these sell out so fast and people (ie Americans and some Brits) have issues buying tix due to Spanish Ticketmaster security system. Been stalking the site almost daily since mid Feb and missed it yesterday and that's when they must have snuck them up. 9am time slot had already sold out but got 9.30am and since I have (like almost all aussies) verified by Visa on my CC absolutely no probs purchasing the tix.

Just the train fares to Scotland to go-also due for release imminently too! Oh and DH booking the car hire-he often gets great discounts through a work deal so its one I can't do. Have to up the nagging!!

Congratulations on getting your Alhambra tickets! My son is doing a driving tour of Spain during his mid-semester break and i know he's planning to go to Granada, but I bet he hasn't thought about buying tickets for the Alhambra in advance :worried: Thanks for letting us know how hard it can be, I'll let him know...

Have you got your Scotland train tickets yet? We used the Caledonian Sleeper when we went there, it was so lovely to wake up in the highlands :goodvibes

Hope you get your hire car sorted out soon too :)

Andona

Thanks Andona. I think there are limited numbers available in Granada for those who haven't pre-booked but it might be on a first come basis so very long queues-sorry I can't remember but its all on the web site. How is your son enjoying San Sebastian so far?

Haven't got train tix yet-we'll be catching it from Peterborough not London so depends what routes go that way-they aren't released yet but its just a 4 hours morning (or afternoon) trip from there all being well. As for car hire-its on the list for this weekend once I pin DH down-with all this continual rain he can't mow or anything so should be a captive audience!

With 25 days to go time for an update.

Booked the Singapore stopover package and wished we'd done it on the way back too but our last night has been pre-paid and I can't cancel. Checked with the lad on the phone if all the discounts applied for the day we checked out too (as that is the bulk of our time) and he said yes, so hope so as the inclusions in this are great. We went for one of the cheap hotels (Peninsular Excelsior) but its right in the centre of the colonial district so can walk to Marina Bay and down to Clarke Quay and the river or up to Raffles etc. For $78 for the night we get free airport transfers to and fro, free hop on off Singapore airline bus which circles the city, theoretically free ride on the Singapore Flyer (wheel), free HIPPO river cruise and the River Bumboat Tour, free entry to the Zoo, the Night Safari, several different museums, Orchid Garden, Gardens by the Bay, a cable car ride to Sentosa and 2 out of of a choice of attractions on Sentosa, and heaps more. The question is how many can I fit into 24 hours? and how early will we get going on Sunday given we could laze in our room til check out at 12 noon since from then on its on the go until we get on the plane at midnight.

Though they are the best value I am foregoing the zoo as we did it in 2010, and the Night Safari (did it last in 97) as I want to watch the nightly fountain show (Wonderfull) at Marina Bay (which pundits have compared to some of Disney's shows-we shall see!) Plan is on arrival (probably 5ish til checked in) walk down to the Flyer and ride it, eat at the Food Trail or Gluttons Bay and watch the show then either catch a river boat or if too packed (likely) walk back to the hotel via the Quays. The next day after breaky nearby and returning for teeth cleaning etc, have the hotel hold the bags and catch the SIA bus to Chinatown, visit the Heritage Centre and have a look around, probably catch the MRT over to Harbourtown, ride the cable car to Sentosa, use our 2 attractions here riding the Luge once and walking across to the beaches at the bottom and doing a free cycle hire for a ride along the beaches then catch the free bus to ResortWorld, walk across the broadwalk and MRT back to Bayside to visit Gardens by the Bay and my must-do Cloud Dome, eat in the Marina Mall (eg at the infamous Din Tai Fuing chain), take the HIPPO or Bumboat ride to see city in the evening from the river, then go back and collect bags and head to airport. This is probably WAY TOO ambitious!! On the day if we get going too late, think will take too long/whatever we will forego Sentosa and instead ride the free bus around to the Botanical Gardens and visit the National Orchid Garden then catch it along Orchard Rd, past Little India and get off to walk down through the colonial district to the river and do a boat trip around to Marina Bay then visit Gardens by the Bay OR after Chinatown just do the boat trip and Gardens by the Bay. Will be interesting to see how these freebies and what we can actually do all pans out! If you stay a second and subsequent nights it costs substantially more but I still think quite a good deal though reviews are mixed. There are also a lot of attractions that are D grade on it.

Paris and DLP is basically unchanged-I was given a Paris Walks book as a thank you gift at the end of my most recent contract last week which is inspiring all sorts of changes for my Paris day so we will see....

Dreams is running however-every night so get at least 2 opps for watching and picture taking with DLP closing at 10.30 pm and the Studios at 6pm. Really looking forward to this show as it looks wonderful though have avoided utubing it as I want to be surprised so just quickly passed over still pics people have put up. It is still cold there but starting to warm up-my packing list keeps changing as I was getting worried we'd be too cold with what I had originally thought to take. Trying to avoid our big coats. May cave and make restaurant bookings (available 60 days prior) in the coming week as all the Brits seem to as they often buy half or full board packages. Still complaints lots of C/S places are shut though.

We have our Eurostar tix for late Friday morning so have to make our own way using the train, to Gare Du Nord. Car is hired from Peterborough Avis but discovered our return day, May 27 is a public holiday there and the office is shut. It didn't block us booking (and paying in full up front) so now will try to contact them direct. (Central enquiries email I sent has gone into a black hole after I received a routine "thank you, here is your enquiry number, we'll be in touch" - I presume they may have tried calling the UK mobile number I gave them which isn't activated til we get there.) Given we have a train to catch that Monday to Edinburgh at 9am (pre-booked no changes cheap fare!) I am a bit twitchy and have come up with a couple of alternate emergency plans if need be. From Peterborough it is only a 4 hour train trip and the scenery along the way is meant to be very good.

Sounds like that Singapore stopover package is worth the money!

Hope you get your return tix sorted out.

Thanks PIO. I'm getting there!

Scotland plans are unchanged but thinking we will try and include Holyrood House in our Royal Mile walking day. What we do arrival day depends on the weather-if fine we will take the opportunity and walk the Royal Mile, if wet and next day forecast better will do the museum in the first afternoon. The castle is on the list for the full day morning. Debating over several nice places to eat! Waiting to see what Miss Shuttergirl recommends from her explorations!

Our last day in Scotland I have mapped a route which takes us through the top edge of the Cairngorms and over to Dufftown for a Glenfidditch Distillery Tour then can decide at the time if we pop into Balvenie Castle (just down the road) or if we end up with time, detour en route later to Huntly Castle. I do hope to detour to the Loanhead of Daviot Stone Circle (excuse my ancient history interests) before lobbing up at Dunnotar Castle on the coast. Its 3 hours no stops from our B&B. My goal is to reach Dunnotar by 3pm so as the day goes on, things en route get cut. We need to leave by 6pm (when it closes) to reach Aberdeen airport (40 mins), return car and check in for our short late evening flight to Gatwick (which means DH will start twitching probably by something ridiculous like 4pm!!-poor love-the older he gets the worse he gets - though I was late for our Dismeet lunch ;)).

And so to Spain. Seville we are now staying 4 nights at the apartment as they wrote and said late check-in is fine for a small fee if we need it and they had the extra night still available. We should arrive lunchtime and DD and I have our eyes on a Japanese place just up the road that is apparently expensive but does a great value "menu del dia" (lunch special) - so our first meal in Spain may well not be Spanish! Planning at this stage to visit the Cathedral in the pm as it doesn't open til late morning and wander along the river to the Parc de Marie Luisa with tapas for dinner in the Barrio Santa Cruz (old quarter).

The next day is a lazy start, a visit to the Casa de Lebrija (with Roman artefacts and mosaics and Arabian tiles) and the Alcazar. Then after a siesta a visit to another Casa, de Pilates which is free from 3pm on Wednesdays, and on to the new (and controversial) architecture of Metropol which has great views from its walkways at sunset and the Antiquarium (Roman town discovered when they were building a carpark) underneath.

Day 3 in Seville is off to Cordoba for the day by local train to see its Mezquita, the Juderia and the gardens of the Alcazar.

Day 4 is for doing everything we haven't yet done (like the Inquisition Museum and Iglesia El Salvadore) and shopping. Hoping to spend this evening across the river in Triana (if we can stay awake late enough for the bars to be thriving!)

Then its onto the train again to Granada. Our B&B will pick us up here and looking forward to a quiet pm exploring the town after siesta and looking at the Capilla Real and cathedral and tonight viewing the sunset over the Alhambra.

Sunday as I have said we have tix to the Alhambra-figure this will take us much of the day. Found one or two places with a good menu del dia recommended for a late lunch so will probably do that, possibly prebooking the day before so we are assured of a table.

Monday we fly to Barcelona. I have a walk mapped out for the late pm/evening modified from one in a Guidebook and including several places of interest that will be open on a Monday (lots of places are closed Mondays)-around the Barra Gotic & La Riberia. Then Tuesday is mostly Gaudi day - Batllo or Predrera first up, but also Museu d’Historia de Barcelona as this would have been closed Monday and out to Parc Guell. Back to the apartment for a siesta and late afternoon visit to Sagrida Famille which is opposite the apartment so figure can buy tix a day or two prior. Day may get rearranged subject to weather but at this stage scheduling Wed as Montserrat day. Late pm, depending when we get back, we may visit the Museum d’Historia de Catalunya as its open late Wed. For Thursday I and probably DD (DH not interested) will see if we can book a tour of Palau de la Musica Catalana (unfortunately no performances while we are there) while I expect DH will go for a walk by the beach and then in later pm we will go up Montjuic for the views and walk back down and tonight watch the fountain performance.

Experts will notice the lack of art galleries in my planning-sorry to say whilst we love architecture, we are not big fans of lots of infamous artists so we only tend to pop into an art gallery if we have an hour to spare. In particular, there are few Spanish artists who inspire us. We don't like Velazquez or Goya and Picasso and Miro leave us cold.

So what's left to do-places to eat in Barcelona-sort out a list of some of the recommended but everyday type ones. We will eat at the apartment a lot I suspect having stocked up from the great markets. Mostly what's left to do is packing type stuff-does DD and DH need new polar fleeces or will DH get by, as he insists, with his fleecy vest and windproof jacket only. Buy some packing cubes - means getting over to West End to the travel place. Buy me some noise cancelling earphones as I can't keep stealing DH's and earphones on planes are way too big for my tiny head anyway unless I can nab a child's pair. Buy me a neck pillow-having borrowed DH for part of last trip I have caved and decided its worth the hassle of carrying one and this trip involves one overnight at least when I will need it. Do the last minute stock up on hand sanitiser, wipes, under 100ml deodorants etc. Buy more of dogs special diet bics and flea/tick goop from vets. Stop worrying about the fact Dad looks more and more at death's door every week I see him. As DD says, what will be will be and my worrying isn't going to change anything.

So yes, actually we are practically ready to proceed to the gate!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter