PTR; Joshua and Samantha's 1st Trip (Sep 17-26 '09) [Train Tour Pics!]

Going to try and get caught up on some more of the letters we have already covered. I left off with the letter "D" last.

Letter E
Ride - Spaceship Earth (hey...Earth starts with E)
Non-ride - Epcot (later in the PTR, I'll let you know our gameplan for how to tackle this big park)
Characters: Eve, Eeyore, Eric, Esmeralda, Ed (Lion King), Edgar (Aristocats), Eilonwy, Emile, Edna

eve.png

Letter F
Ride - Gran Fiesta Tour (Fiesta! Some people don't like the new changes to this Mexico ride, but I like it. I love Donald and have no problem with putting some new life into a ride that had gotten somewhat boring)
Non-ride - FASTPASS (problem now, is making my son understand that not on every ride can we take the shortcut line)
Characters: Ferb, Fillmore, Flo, Flounder, Friar Tuck, Flower, Figment, Flicker, Felipe, Frollo, Figaro, Flik, Ferdinand

Figment(1).jpg

Letter G
Ride - Goofy's Barnstormer (hoping kids will like this "rollercoaster")
Non-ride - Gates (showed pics of all the entrances to the parks. We'll be doing rope drops, so we'll have to get used to seeing these gates)
Characters: Gabriella, Guido, Goofy, Gaston, Gus Gus, Gepetto, Grumpy, Gopher, Gyro Gearloose, Genie, Goliath (JoJo), Giselle (Enchanted)

movie-cars-portrait-Guido.jpg

Letter H
Ride - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Set (not exactly a ride, but a play attraction atleast...should be interesting since my kids are anti-bugs)
Non-ride - Hollywood Studios (depending on popularity of DHS shows, we could stay really busy trying to get everything done at this fun park)
Characters: Huey, Capt. Hook, Hercules, Hades, Happy, Hamm, Hopper, Heimlich, Horace Horsecollar

logo

Well, there's 4 more letters. I will try to get I through J done tomorrow...which will at least get me caught up to where we're currently at.

:wizard:

Oh my goodness! What a fabulous pre-trip! Your ideas are great! My sister homeschools, as does one of my best friends - kudos to you for doing that! I think it's fabulous!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

That birthday looks amazing - how creative you guys are! The cake looks so cute and I love all of the "eat me" cookies and "drink me" drinks!

You have a beautiful family and I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful trip! I'm so glad I popped over and started reading! :goodvibes

Sara

Trip planning udpate:

Yesterday (thanks to an ebay seller tip from "cheap traveler") I ordered 20 Disney pins for us to trade when we go on our trip. I'll try to update with a picture once the pins arrive.

Last night's discussions. Bridgette and I discussed T-shirt designs. Thanks to our own creativity and wonderful designs by DISigners...we're working on what kind of T-shirts we might want to make for our trip. Also trying to decide on the best method of making them.

Should we try to do it ourselves? Use an Internet custom T-shirt website? Still trying to figure it out.

Oh my goodness! What a fabulous pre-trip! Your ideas are great! My sister homeschools, as does one of my best friends - kudos to you for doing that! I think it's fabulous!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

That birthday looks amazing - how creative you guys are! The cake looks so cute and I love all of the "eat me" cookies and "drink me" drinks!

You have a beautiful family and I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful trip! I'm so glad I popped over and started reading! :goodvibes

Sara
Thanks, Sara.

Glad to have you on board.....I know that your current pics from your report are keeping my Disney-itis alive and flaring.

Hey thanks for the mention!! I have been trying to get a picture of my pins, but I have to do it when the kids are asleep. So Sunday I can't find the camera, Monday the battery is dead, wonder what tonight will bring:rotfl:.

I absolutely love the birthday cake, and you daughter looks so cute in her Alice dress. My DD would love a Cinderella party, but she is with her father on her birthday and a big party isn't in the budget this year. There is always next year.

I will love to see if we both got the same pins. Mine are mostly pirate theme. There is only one we might keep - it's dumbo and just too cute.

Can't wait to hear more of your letters :teacher:

Okay, time to get caught up on our weekly letter projects.

Letter I
Ride - it's a small world (figuring that Samantha will like this one)
Non-ride - Innoventions (though we skipped this on our quick December trip, I've always enjoyed Innoventions and think Joshua will have a lot of fun in here)
Characters: Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible, Iago, Ichabod, Isabella (Phineas & Ferb)

Elastigirl.jpg

Letter J
Ride - Jungle Cruise (Samantha loves elephants! [Note: our Oklahoma City elephants are currently in Tulsa so they can have babies...we miss them)
Non-ride - Jedi Training Academy (Joshua will love this. From what I've read, I'm going to prepare him in case he doesn't get picked...if not...try, try again!)
Characters: Jeremy (Phineas & Ferb), Jessie, Jacques, Jiminy Cricket, Jane (Tarzan), JoJo, Prince John, Jafar, Jasmine, Jose Carioca, June (Einsteins)

prince_john.jpg

Letter K
Ride - Kilimanjaro Safari (I think kids will really love seeing animals while riding)
Non-ride - Kidcot (Both kids, especially Joshua, love crafts...so think Kidcot will help them enjoy our time spent in the World Showcase)
Characters: Kelsi (HSM), Kelly (Handy Manny), The King, Kanga, Kaa, Kuzco, Kronk, Kit Cloudkicker, Kim Possible, Kermit the Frog, Koda, Kevin (UP)

left.jpg

Letter L
Ride - Living with the Land (I love this ride! Also think kids will have fun seeing the different things that Disney has growing)
Non-ride - LEGO Imagination Center (Joshua loves LEGOs and will no doubt have a good time playing and planning purchases in this area)
Characters: Lopart (Handy Manny), Lightning McQueen, Luigi (Cars), Ludgwin Von Drake, Louie (nephew), Lilo, Lumierre, Lady, Little John, Leo (Einsteins), Linguini, Launchpad McQuack, Lewis (Meet the Robinsons)

meet_the_robinsons.jpg

Well, that gets us caught up. The kids are currently working on the letter L until we start M on Thursday. From this point on, each week, I'll update with info about whatever letter we are starting (and yes, some letters down the homestretch get tricky).

Still to come....initial gameplan for our 10 days in Disney......

Oh and today is an important day

1) My wife and I are celebrating our 8th Wedding Anniversary today!!!

2) We have now reached the 100 Days until Disney mark!!

Sorry I missed it yesterday, Happy Anniversary:yay

Isn't it great to be out of 3 digit numbers?! I am down to 70 and loving it.:woohoo:

Can't wait to hear your plans

hey! i just found your trip report. I just have to compliment you on all the academics that you do with your children at a young age! I have a bachelors degree in early childhood education and have worked with all ages of children for over 5 years and it's very rare to find someone who is so invested in their child's education at such a young age. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

This morning has been productive as far as getting some important "details" lined up for the trip.

First, my sister booked our Magical Express today. The tags will be coming to her address about 6 weeks before our trip. Luckily, that 6 weeks will be plenty of time to get our tags from her (in Plano, TX) to the rest of us (in Moore, OK).
-- EXCITED ABOUT GETTING ON THAT BUS!! --

Also, we finally got around to getting park tickets for the kids. Since Bridgette and I went on the short December trip last year, we went ahead and got annual passes for that trip so that we wouldn't have to purchase tickets two separate times (good savings!). So, we have our passes for the September trip, but the kids don't have tickets yet. So, Bridgette got online this morning and ordered two 10-day park-hopper tickets.
-- YAY, THE KIDS WILL ACTUALLY BE ALLOWED INTO THE PARKS NOW!! --

Also confirmed that the strollers we will be bringing can go on the plane with us for no extra charge. Good. :thumbsup2

hey! i just found your trip report. I just have to compliment you on all the academics that you do with your children at a young age! I have a bachelors degree in early childhood education and have worked with all ages of children for over 5 years and it's very rare to find someone who is so invested in their child's education at such a young age. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Thanks! Joshua seems to enjoy learning for the most part...especially Math and anything project-related.
Samantha....she's such a "pretty girl." She'll give learning a try but gets bored quickly. I think we just have to get used to hear learning style. A) she's still young...just turned 3 and B) she's a good listener. When we read books outloud, she'll be "messing around" but she does a good job of answering the "are-you-paying-attention questions." That's weird to me, because I'm a visual learner, but she may end up being an auditory learner.

Another Thursday is upon us, which means we are 1 week closer to the trip and a new letter gets started.

Today, the kids will be starting a week's worth of "M"

The Letter M
Ride - Mad Hatter's Tea Party (Samantha will probably want to spin slowly)
Non-ride - Monorail (hopefully we'll get a couple chances to ride the Monorail)
Characters: Mittens, Manny, Mater, Mac, Marlin, Mike Wazowski (on the Disney day-by-day calendar today), MO (Wall-E), Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Meghara, Mowgli, Mufasa, Mulan, Mushu, Maid Marian, Merlin, Mad Hatter, Maleficient, Mary Poppins, Marie, Milo Thatch

maleficent_02.jpg

Later today....plan on revealing our gameplan.

Well, today ended up being busier than I was hoping, but I've been promising an itinerary and I'm GOING TO DELIVER!! :surfweb:

Alright, here we go --

Sep 17, Thu) Leave OKC at 6:30am...stop in Houston...then finish in Orlando. (Originally, we were to arrive at about 12:30pm, but flight changed and now it is almost 2:00pm) :sad2: less Disney time. This will be the kids' first time in a plane. Hopefully we get smooth flights and not too much time taxi'ing around. Rest of the day = check-in at AKV, dinner at 'Ohana, check out the resort.

Sep 18, Fri) 8am at Crystal Palace and MK day. We wanted to make sure the first park for the kids is Magic Kingdom. And Crystal Palace before the park opens sounds like a great way to start that day. Try to stick around for 3 o'clock parade, then head out. Probably also try to hit Downtown Disney during the evening.

Sep 19, Sat) 8am rope drop at Hollywood Studios! Probably go until kids get tired, take a break and then finish the day at MK for Spectro/Wishes.

Sep 20, Sun) Epcot day. This will probably be the only day we aren't at a park at/before opening time. We will get some good rest, but still get around in good enough time to make what will hopefully be a 10am slot for Akershus breakfast. Afterward, the rest of the day will be spent focusing on the World Showcase.

Sep 21, Mon) 8am rope drop at Animal Kingdom! We will have a late breakfast at Tusker House. Will try to do all we can at AK this day and stay toward closing. Then, Bridgette, my dad, and my sister will have dinner at Boma, while my mom, the kids, and I find a fun CS place to eat. :laughing: Probably spend rest of the night playing at the resort.

TRIP = HALFWAY OVER :grouphug: ALRIGHT TEAM, FINISH STRONG!!

Sep 22, Tue) 8am rope drop at Epcot! Focus of the day will be Future World. Try to get through all we can and then take a break. Come back during the evening to do a few more things and get ready for Illuminations.

Sep 23, Wed) 9am rope drop at HS. Do whatever we really liked or didn't get to...try to stick around for the 3 o'clock parade. Evening = ?

Sep 24, Thu) 8am rope drop at Magic Kingdom! That's all I got....just have a great day!!

Sep 25, Fri) [last full day] This will be the separate day. My wife and the kids doing are own thing. My sister and parents doing their own thing. :cheer2: We will start the morning with an 8am Play 'n' Dine breakfast. Then, the rest of the day is letting the kids tell us what they really want to do. As for my family...they will start the day at Kona Cafe and probably get over to Epcot at some point to take in a little bit of the first day of Food & Wine Festival.

Sep 26, Sat) [leaving day] Plane leaves at 6pm...so, probably plan on being ready for the bus by 3pm. That gives us a lot of time to play! Probably another morning/afternoon of park-hopping/shopping before the Magical ride back to MCO.

Gonna be a great trip! 14 weeks to go!! :woohoo:

Friday, June 19th.....so one more week to go.

Since we're going DVC, we're not doing the Free Dining deal. We looked at just simply buying the CS-dining plan, but b/c of our eating style and the fact that we've got 6 TS meals we want to do, mathematically it just didn't make sense to me -- maybe on another trip.

One's I'm most worried about are 'Ohana that first night and Crystal Palace the morning of the 18th. Not only are both popular, but they are also right at the beginning of the trip, so earlier trip-goers can be booking those slots due to the 90+10 rule.

Your kids are adorable!! And wow, you guys went all out for her birthday party. That is some cake!! :) I love that you're doing a letter of the week countdown to Disney. What a great idea!

How excited are you about staying at AKV? We're staying for two nights at the end of our trip and I absolutely cannot wait! It looks gorgeous and I've never stayed deluxe before!

VERY Excited about staying at AKV :banana: (that's right...banana dance-excited)

Last summer, when plans were very preliminary, I wasn't sure where my parents and sis would be staying, but my family of 4 was planning on staying at All-Star Movies (where my wife and I stayed in 2002).
Then, my sister joins DVC and says she will be able to get us a 2-bedroom suite at Animal Kingdom which is getting new villas. Awesome!!!!

So, with the savings from not having to pay at Movies....we bought my sister's airline ticket and are figuring out something else cool to do for her.

But yes...very excited about staying there. I've visited AKL before and it is beautiful, plus pictures of the new rooms look great!

That's so funny because originally we were going to spend our last two nights at ASMo! :rotfl: I upgraded as a surprise for my DBf.

Samantha update!

The kids decided they wanted haircuts, so Bridgette took them both today. For Samantha, who just turned 3, this is actually her first ever haircut. Her Aunt comes over occassionally to clip her bangs, but she's never had a full haircut before.

Here's the pic she sent after they got home (earlier this afternoon):

FirstHaircut.jpg

[proud daddy moment] oh, she's so cute!

I miss them. Won't see them at all today.
Why?
Well, our anniversary was Tuesday, but due to Vacation Bible School this week we didn't get to celebrate that night. So, in a couple hours, Bridgette is shipping the kids off to my parents for the night. Then later, we'll have a nice dinner and go see a late-night showing of Star Trek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter