PTR: December 2012 - Disneyland, LA & Hawaii

areweindisneyyet said:
We went to Pearl Harbor by using the local bus. They are a great and easy way to get around. 2.50 each on arrival you are given a time to take a boat out to the Arizona memorial. The earlier in the day you get there the earlier the launch time and you are also there before the groups. We left around 0830 from Waikiki. There is a short movie you watch before taking the launch. Quite a few museums. To go to the bowfin submarine and I think the newer Missouri museum you can purchase the tickets there. The menfolk took the girls to the bowfin which was about $20. We bussed back to town and stopped at ala moana on the way. The bus. Has a great website with timetables. The stops are really easy to find and the drivers helpful.

Thanks for that, have heard good things about the bus I found on my web travels a site to pre book for the tour $1.50 per person instead of free but worth it seeing as there will be 14 of us - have told mum about it but will have to follow up on our sunday chat to see if she has done it. Its the one thing on the trip the mr. really wants to do so I doing want to miss out.

On other news I will be harassing the mr to make a final decision about hiring a rental car on the weekend. he's away for two weeks from next week so want to get that sorted once and for all.

Thanks for that, have heard good things about the bus I found on my web travels a site to pre book for the tour $1.50 per person instead of free but worth it seeing as there will be 14 of us - have told mum about it but will have to follow up on our sunday chat to see if she has done it. Its the one thing on the trip the mr. really wants to do so I doing want to miss out.

On other news I will be harassing the mr to make a final decision about hiring a rental car on the weekend. he's away for two weeks from next week so want to get that sorted once and for all.

car hire...use the codes from mousesavers........or I do love bid for a car on priceline...nothing beats $9 a day for car rental:thumbsup2

australiankaren said:
car hire...use the codes from mousesavers........or I do love bid for a car on priceline...nothing beats $9 a day for car rental:thumbsup2

great tip thanks! Right thats it, at $9 a day he will be driving from disneyland to hollywood - cheapest shuttle I can find is $90...

Sounds like you are really getting on top of that list of things to do. You are making serious progress.

The work stuff will sort itself out, don't worry about it.

Yay for going to Disney next month.

:cheer2: have just convinced/badgered the mr into hiring a car - so am now in the process of finding said car and then will cancel the last night at the hollywood accommodation and book something close to the airport so we will all get a sleep in before our flight to hawaii :thumbsup2

Just joining in on your PTR! Your trip sounds AMAZING! I LOVE Hawaii. I've read a lot, but haven't read your whole PTR yet, but will get reading and get caught up!

You can also get the fixed price taxis, too. We stayed at the celebrity hotel behind H&H centre and when we needed to get to the airport to fly to Montana the desk lady told us it was the cheapest option, especially as were leaving during peak hour.

thanks Marlea, will have to look into that next time - last night I booked the LAX Mariott at $US79 for our last night in LA and they have a complimentary shuttle to the airport. Am a bit worried as they have not sent me a confirmation email and someone closed my browser before I had printed out the details so I will have to check on monday that it has all gone through ok before I cancel our 3rd night at Orchid Suites in Hollywood.

Yesterday I also made a list of what clothes to pack, but have put the list down somewhere and can't find it anywhere so shall have to do that again today. Either that or clean my house so I find the list, think a new list is less effort :rotfl:

Today I am going to organise my itinerary more now that I have DL dining all booked, park hours have been released and I have times for car pick up and drop off set up. I have us picking up the car at 1pm and going via the ham radio outlet for the Mr to hollywood - hoping that way we will miss the worst of the traffic...:drive:

thanks Marlea, will have to look into that next time - last night I booked the LAX Mariott at $US79 for our last night in LA and they have a complimentary shuttle to the airport. Am a bit worried as they have not sent me a confirmation email and someone closed my browser before I had printed out the details so I will have to check on monday that it has all gone through ok before I cancel our 3rd night at Orchid Suites in Hollywood.

Yesterday I also made a list of what clothes to pack, but have put the list down somewhere and can't find it anywhere so shall have to do that again today. Either that or clean my house so I find the list, think a new list is less effort :rotfl:

Today I am going to organise my itinerary more now that I have DL dining all booked, park hours have been released and I have times for car pick up and drop off set up. I have us picking up the car at 1pm and going via the ham radio outlet for the Mr to hollywood - hoping that way we will miss the worst of the traffic...:drive:

Don't you just hate it when you lose things like packing lists. I get so frustrated with myself wondering what I did with it.

You really seem to be getting things very organised now, well done. :woohoo:

Don't you just hate it when you lose things like packing lists. I get so frustrated with myself wondering what I did with it.

Yes! this seems to be happening to me more and more which is why I usually use my phone to make lists as at least I can ring myself to find my phone :rotfl2:

So i've spent the morning playing around with touring plans - will probably only use them for the first couple of days to get through the must sees and will do whatever takes our fancy from then on working around dining reservations. LA is a loose plan of things we'd like to see apart from Warner Bros which I've booked and paid for - the traffic is a bit of an unknown for us, not sure how long it will take to get from A to B so we will just prioritise on the day and see where that takes us. Hawaii I have not really planned anything, too hard with 14 of us and I'm not really sure how my health will be by that point so easier to be a bit more relaxed about our days.

Sunday 9th - arrive at LAX at 10.30am, DL express to DLH. I am hoping our room will be ready so we can have a shower and a little rest. If not, a late lunch in DTD then sorting out passes & photopass plus and into Disneyland for a bit of a look around - no real plan for what we will see as I'm expecting it to be busy and just being there taking in the atmosphere will be awesome - if we can get on a ride or two that will be a bonus. Then onto Fantasmic! for dessert seating which I think I can book next weekend. After that I think I will be heading back to the hotel and bed, the Mr & DD are expecting to close the park at 12am :faint: as long as they are up bright eyed and bushy tailed for EMH at DCA the next morning we will all be happy!

Monday 10th - EMH (8am) at DCA - focus for this morning will be Carsland and RSR, lunch at Flo's, DL in the afternoon and dinner at BTR BBQ.

Tuesday 11th - EMH (8am) at DL - focus for the morning will be Fantasyland. Then over to DCA for lunch at Carthay Circle (for WOC seating) , afternoon in DCA & WOC in the evening.

Wednesday 12th - EMH (8am) at DCA, maybe afternoon at DL, and then back to DCA for dinner at Ariel's Grotto.

Thursday 13th - EMH (8am) at DL and lunch at Cafe Orleans.

Friday 14th - Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen, Check out of DLH, shopping at DTD, pick up car at 1pm, drive to Hollywood via ham radio outlet in anaheim, Check into Orchid Suites, afternoon spent looking around Hollywood.

Saturday 15th - Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, Beverly hills, griffith park

Sunday 16th - Warner Bros tour at 8.30am, Olvera st, california science center, check into LAX Marriott then drop car off at LAX at 5pm, shuttle to hotel.

Monday 17th - shuttle to LAX, flight to Honolulu, arrive 1.30pm. Taxi to hotel, afternoon spent looking around beachwalk shops, swim at the beach, probably early night.

Tuesday 18th - everyone arrives 7am, check out of hotel and move to embassy suites for the rest of the Holiday. Only thing on the agenda so far is Pearl Harbour for one day, the remainder of the holiday will consist of shopping and swimming :beach:

Monday 24th - fly home late afternoon :sad:

thats a bargain for the LAX marriott...now have you signed up for their program to earn points?????

when you do, just log in and attach your resi to your name...if you booked in DH name, then sign him up....name has to match resi for points....also see if there is a promo to sign up eg: special offer extra points etc....just look for marriott sign up promo code:wave2:

thats a bargain for the LAX marriott...now have you signed up for their program to earn points?????

when you do, just log in and attach your resi to your name...if you booked in DH name, then sign him up....name has to match resi for points....also see if there is a promo to sign up eg: special offer extra points etc....just look for marriott sign up promo code:wave2:

yes I thought it was a great price, I was almost tempted to book all three nights there! thanks for the tip, have now signed up for rewards, but again no email - if still nothing tomorrow I will have to ring them to get the reservation number.

Ok, so being new to this credit card game I have a question...when I booked the marriott on saturday night it said my cc would be charged on booking to get that cheap rate. I didn't get a chance to note down the confirmation number and I never got an email confirmation and my cc hasnt been charged. Do I assume for some strange reason the booking didn't go through and should try again?

I would ring and check. I have always received an email confirmation almost immediately from all the places I have booked, including Marriott chain hotels.

Ok, so being new to this credit card game I have a question...when I booked the marriott on saturday night it said my cc would be charged on booking to get that cheap rate. I didn't get a chance to note down the confirmation number and I never got an email confirmation and my cc hasnt been charged. Do I assume for some strange reason the booking didn't go through and should try again?

I ended up emailing them to check and no record at all of the booking so I am now looking at the radisson, the Mr would enjoy watching the planes taking off and landing and they have free internet - $US101 so not much more than the Marriot, or maybe the courtyard or sheraton gateway, I am becoming so indecisive :confused3.

You may want to call your bank and double check. They can often check what you can't see yet on your online statements etc. I did this just recently with our v aus fares as the screen froze as we hit "purchase"

Woohoo, 28 sleeps to go....So another list update:

• passport for me - done
  • passport for Mr - done
  • transport - LAX-DLH - discount coupons printed for Disneyland Express, will pay cash on the day
  • transport - DL-Hollywood - rental car booked with Alamo - will pick up from DTD :drive:
  • transport - Hollywood-LAX - dropping rental car off at their LAX depot and will taxi to yet to be decided LAX hotel
  • Book LAX Hotel, and cancel 3rd night at Orchid Suites
  • ESTAs - done
  • take dog for orientation visit to pet hotel - will do this next Sunday when the Mr is back from his week and a half working out of town.
  • buy universal studios tickets - decided to do Warner Bros tour instead, tickets booked and paid for
  • book disney restaurants - BTR BBQ, Carthay Circle, Ariel's Grotto, Cafe Orleans and Goofy's Kitchen are all booked
  • Book Fantasmic dessert package - done, have the 9pm showing on the 9th December
  • figure out what we are doing for the Saturday in LA - vague plans of Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive, Griffith Park, maybe a sleep in - we'll just see where the day takes us
  • investigate some kind of pearl harbour tour - I have outsourced this job to my mum :cool1:
  • change DLH booking to AP rate - done, saved about $250 :thumbsup2
  • pay deposit for the pet hotel - done

All looking pretty good, only thing left to do really is take the dog for her visit to the pet hotel and book the LAX hotel which I will do on Monday at work where I have access to a printer that works :thumbsup2
So, all appears to be going to plan and I can focus on work stuff for the next couple of weeks and saving those last few dollars :banana:

I kind of hate you right now :rotfl:. My to do list isn't looking nearly as "done" as yours. In fact, reading your list has made me feel stressed. I'm going now :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I kind of hate you right now :rotfl:. My to do list isn't looking nearly as "done" as yours. In fact, reading your list has made me feel stressed. I'm going now :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

haha, if it makes you feel better I could post my work to do list, that makes me feel sick just thinking about it :crazy2: I realised yesterday I have 20 days left at work and have no idea how I am going to get everything done :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter