PTR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family does DLR *(new October 9th)*

Hi! :wave2:
Found this PTR from Rob's TR so pootled over to have a read - really enjoying it so far - always encouraging (read 'a relief') to see other obsessive planners :thumbsup2
Looking forward to more :goodvibes

:welcome: thank you for joining! This site is definitely has its share of obsessive planners ... though, with Disneyland I am feeling like I am forced to plan less which is taking me out of my comfort zone a bit. But without fear you don't get to be brave, right?

We also stayed at the Howard Johnson! We didn't try the water park, but the rooms are great and you can't beat the walk to Disneyland. You'll love it.

I'm glad you added the Minnie and Friends breakfast to your list of contenders, we really loved it! And Bengal Barbecue is my LIFE. Love it so much. Meat on a stick is the best kind of meat. Also I'm sure you saw that Trader Sam's is open at WDW...I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time there over the six months I'm at WDW.

I am VERY intrigued by Churro Waffles. We did both the zoo and SeaWorld and both are great, but I think SeaWorld might be a bit more manageable with little ones. The zoo is a LOT of walking, whereas SeaWorld has shows where you can sit down and relax for a bit.

Glad to hear you liked the HoJo and that the walk wasn't too bad for you. Also glad to hear that you liked Bengal Barbecue - it looks like a place right up Judi's alley so hoping she does like it

Thanks for chiming in about the zoo and Sea World - I am definitely thinking we will only be able to do one (more in my next update) and if that is the case it will be Sea World.

All caught up.Sorry, I don't know why I wasn't watching this thread before.

I admire your dedication to food is so strong that you are actually planning a first and second lunch.

Hey having enough points to cover the stay is reason enough to stay anywhere, if you ask me.

I have never been to Sea World but I think that doing both it and the zoo will be great activities :)

All the food options look great, I'm sure if you get to them you'll have lots of awesome meals.

No need to apologize Amber - though very glad you are here!

First and second lunch ... and then for San Diego leaning towards a first and second brunch - so the dedication definitely is there!

Yeah, definitely seeing where we can save is a necessity now, so having enough points for the hotel and then hoping to have enough airline points for at least a couple of the plane tickets.

If we had more time I would love to do both the zoo and Sea World but I think we will just do one and I think Sea World will win out.

Thanks! I am actually really excited about the different food options at DLR compared to WDW almost as much as the different attractions - though some of the recent announcements to updates to attractions has me very excited (more in the next update)

San Diego sounds like it'll be a nice start to the trip. If you have enough points to cover your stay at either hotel then I'd do that! I love using AirBnB for rentals - esp with 3 kids you could maybe find a beach side home for pretty inexpensive, but obv not free! So that'd be my suggestion to look into just as an idea if budget permits.

My last foray to SD was with work in 2009, I think. I was there for a week by myself and had a lot of time to myself because I am not a mix n mingler type so didn't really hang out with any co-workers (though none I knew went, either). Anywayy I just looked up the name of a place I went that I would def return to on another trip - Old Town San Diego. At least when I was there, there was a local winery with some really good wines, along with some fun shops and great history. I did the Zoo (yes by myself). It's expensive, esp for a family of 4, but very nice.

Thanks for the thoughts Lauren. Can you do rentals like that for only a few nights? Something to consider if that is the case as with the 5 of us some extra room would be nice.

Old Town looks pretty cool. Definitely would like to get some legit Mexican food while out there and looks like a lot of options there - plus a Tequila Factory ;) Also a Double Tree only a mile away from that so that could be an option and would have enough points for that one. Definitely something to think about.

Finally back on the DIS after almost two weeks of craziness at work and our trip to Phoenix.

San Diego looks lovely. I've heard great things about it and would really like to visit sometime. I can't offer advice; I can say that the pictures of the food you posted are making me totally drool everything and it is not a pretty site when you work for a prestigious law firm. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think you are right that the Zoo and Sea World might be too much, especially if you want a beach day. You can go to a Zoo anytime; I'd go with the Sea World option. Our kids always enjoyed it when they were young.

It's ok Kathy - the pictures of the food are making me drool as well :lmao: ... I don't think I could ever travel to a place that didn't have good food option

I am definitely leaning towards just doing Sea World - I think both would be tough (both time and money wise) and we live close to some good zoos (maybe not as good, but still)

Joining in! I'm thinking of a very similar SD/DL combo trip for us next year. We are doing WDW this Sept again and I think it might be time to change it up.

:welcome: thank you for joining and hope this PTR (and eventual TR) helps your planning some. Glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks Disneyland counts as "changing it up" from Disney World :lmao:

Just checking back in. OMG!!!! I would have to do BOTH Pacific Coast Grill and Snooze an AM Eatery!!! The relaxing veiw from Pacific Coast Grill plus Churro waffles and Creme brulee brioche french toat looks AMAZING!!! Yet the pancakes at Snooze also looks AWESOME!!! Gosh how do you choose. Don't really think you can go wrong with either of these. Love how you added the link for each one. This is very helpful to anyone whom may want to plan a simular trip. LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the Manta ride at Sea World. This alone would make me want to go there. So excited for you guys!!! Can't wait to see your plans in action. Just think your trip is really just around the corner and will be here before you know it. Just seems once it hits that 6 month period everything starts to take shape and the excitment really builds.

I know - don't they both look awesome! Definitely think we need a term for 1st brunch and 2nd brunch so I don't feel like such a glutton. :lmao: Yeah, very excited for Sea World - I think it will be a nice thing to do. I some ways it seems like it will be here soon but I still have several months before I can book ADRs or anything and they keep adding new things for the 60th anniversary so in other ways still seems way off.

Part 7 - Real Life Update and some thoughts on 60th Anniversary Activities

First, thanks to everyone with thoughts on San Diego ... I know it is not in the scope of most of our expertise so taking any and all thoughts! Definitely think taking it easy will be the best course of action and just relax a bit ... and eat (a lot) obviously ;)

So we've had a bit of excitement around our house lately - generally centered in the kitchen. About a month ago we had a fire in the kitchen. Peter turned the stove on without Judi knowing it before they left the house. Fortunately the only thing that really burned was a few oven gloves but it made the house very smoky and we had to clean everything in the upper cabinets and was basically a pain in the bum. Then, on Easter morning we woke up to water pouring out of the kitchen ceiling. Apparently the previous owners punctured a pipe in the ceiling and just clamped a rubber seal over it and after 10 years or so it gave out. Here is roughly what the kitchen looks like now but we know a bunch more cabinets will have to come out as they got a bit wet - just drying everything out now after having the water remediation company in

kitchen.jpg

We filed a claim and at least in the past our insurance company has been very good about covering things - but only expect them to cover what got damages which was only 1/2 the kitchen so will definitely take some other funds if we want it all to match and just redo it all. On the plus side we will have a new kitchen and of a style we pick - but will put a dent in the bank account so definitely will be on even more of a budget for the Disneyland trip.

Long of the short - definitely will be only doing Sea World OR the Zoo, and thinking Sea World. We do only live about 40 mins from the Bronx Zoo which is pretty cool - might not be as good as the San Diego Zoo but we definitely don't have a Sea World. So, one decision made :D

I did also want to cover some of the 60th Anniversary Activities.

JDR075517.jpg

So far, the announced activities for the 60th anniversary sounds pretty cool. I am very excited for the update to the fireworks show which is to now include projections throughout the park - including on the Matterhorn mountain and the Fantasmic stage area along the Rivers of America in addition to the castle and Small World locations. It will also include a new song written by Richard Sherman which is pretty darn cool, I feel.

There will also be a "celebrate" overlay for the World of Color which I expect to be cool - but given that I haven't seen the original WoC yet not as excited about this

What I am super excited about it the new night time parade as "Paint the Night" is coming to Disneyland will feature 1.5 million LED lights. Hopefully they will also bring the interactive elements (the "paint brushes" you buy or the new app that was developed) - either way, it should be really cool and is considered by some as the the successor to the "Main Street Electrical Parade.”

Paint the night 2.jpg Paint the night 1.jpg

They just posted a new video about the overlay to Sleeping Beauty Castle - I think it is going to be very neat ... and certainly won't look like a giant birthday cake ;)

... and they just had a few new announcements that I am very excited for:

1) New effects are being added to the Matterhorn Bobsled right and Peter Pan's Flight will be updated to include a reimagined nursery scene and a variety of special effects. Not a lot of details are out yet but I like the concepts and generally, when they add new effects to older attractions it has been a positive movement, so that is cool

2) The Hatbox Ghost is returning to the Haunted Mansion! This is just so, so cool to me and I was very excited to hear about this. Again, not a lot of details, but come'on - it's the Hatbox Ghost!

Hatbox Ghost.jpg

All in all I am very excited about the announced events going on - though I wish they would give some indication of timing so that I know it will all still be going on when we are there. Also glad to see that nothing seems to be changing the feel of the park or anything.

TTFN

About a month ago we had a fire in the kitchen. Peter turned the stove on without Judi knowing it before they left the house.
:scared1::scared1::scared1: Oh my gosh, that is terrifying! So glad it didn't turn out worse, but wow! Sorry you then had the water issue. :sad2: Your house is just not cutting you any breaks lately, is it? The new kitchen for 1/2 price is exciting, other than limiting your vacation a bit. Sounds like you have it all worked out okay, though.

I did also want to cover some of the 60th Anniversary Activities.
Thank you, as I have very little idea of what is going on and might be going there. I did hear about a couple of those things from following the Disney Parks Blog recently on FB, but otherwise no clue on most. Dug just told me today that his company did decide to go back to Palm Springs for the retreat in November, so we are seriously looking at Disneyland (but we don't have dates yet). :cool1: I am going to have to take lots of notes on your planning. :goodvibes

What a bummer about your double kitchen disasters - but how nice to get a kitchen remodel out of it. That is always worth the money IMHO.

The events for the 60th anniversary look really amazing. It makes planning even that much more fun!

Thanks for the thoughts Lauren. Can you do rentals like that for only a few nights? Something to consider if that is the case as with the 5 of us some extra room would be nice.

Oh yeah, check out Airbnb with your dates. It'll bring up ones that work for the # of nights you plan to go. All of our rentals in France are between 2-4 nights, and Miami was 2 nights.

RE the Disneyland 60th anniversary things going on - SO cool. That nighttime parade looks awesome. What's the paintbrush or app thing you mentioned? Do you know if this and the fireworks will be JUST for this year or are they simply introducing them this year?

And I've seen the posts on Facebook - that is just terrible about your kitchen :( What a pain to deal with it all. (I dont' think I knew about peter leaving the stove on - OMG!) I hope for your sakes that it is taken care of quickly and you don't have to shell out too much out of pocket.

So sorry to hear about your house troubles!

The Paint the Night parade definitely sounds like the most exciting part of the 60th! From what I've read, you should have no problem experiencing the new stuff as they expect it to stick around for a bit!

I'm so sorry to hear about the kitchen catastrophes! I'm with you--at least you'll get a kitchen u like. Gotta find the bright side!

I think going to sea world sounds perfect! We haven't been since before we had kids. I can't wait until we can go again and take the girls.

The anniversary activities sound cool!

Fortunately the only thing that really burned was a few oven gloves but it made the house very smoky and we had to clean everything in the upper cabinets and was basically a pain in the bum.
I'm glad it wasn't worse. We had a small fire in our attic a few years ago. Our satellite dish got hit by lightning and it arced over to an electric wire in the attic and caused some insulation to start smoldering. It wasn't anything bad, but getting the smoky smell out of the house took forever!

Then, on Easter morning we woke up to water pouring out of the kitchen ceiling. Apparently the previous owners punctured a pipe in the ceiling and just clamped a rubber seal over it and after 10 years or so it gave out.
:crazy2: :faint: :headache:

On the plus side we will have a new kitchen and of a style we pick - but will put a dent in the bank account so definitely will be on even more of a budget for the Disneyland trip.
It will be nice to update the kitchen at about half of the cost... but definitely not something you want to have happen when you're not ready for it. I hope it doesn't impact your trip significantly.

What I am super excited about it the new night time parade as "Paint the Night" is coming to Disneyland will feature 1.5 million LED lights. Hopefully they will also bring the interactive elements (the "paint brushes" you buy or the new app that was developed) - either way, it should be really cool and is considered by some as the the successor to the "Main Street Electrical Parade.”
That really looks like an awesome parade.

1) New effects are being added to the Matterhorn Bobsled right and Peter Pan's Flight will be updated to include a reimagined nursery scene and a variety of special effects. Not a lot of details are out yet but I like the concepts and generally, when they add new effects to older attractions it has been a positive movement, so that is cool

2) The Hatbox Ghost is returning to the Haunted Mansion! This is just so, so cool to me and I was very excited to hear about this. Again, not a lot of details, but come'on - it's the Hatbox Ghost!
Nice! I agree with you about the updates to the attractions. I love seeing them make minor changes that don't really have a huge impact on the ride or the story it tells, but just gives something extra for returning visitors.

About a month ago we had a fire in the kitchen. Peter turned the stove on without Judi knowing it before they left the house. Fortunately the only thing that really burned was a few oven gloves but it made the house very smoky and we had to clean everything in the upper cabinets and was basically a pain in the bum. Then, on Easter morning we woke up to water pouring out of the kitchen ceiling. Apparently the previous owners punctured a pipe in the ceiling and just clamped a rubber seal over it and after 10 years or so it gave out. Here is roughly what the kitchen looks like now but we know a bunch more cabinets will have to come out as they got a bit wet - just drying everything out now after having the water remediation company in

:scared1:

A fire is my absolute worst nightmare. I often imagine driving home from work and seeing smoke come from my house. Glad the fire didn't spread!

And glad you're getting some money from insurance for the water damage. Will be a pain to update the cabinets, but I bet it will look nice and both you and Judi will be happy with it!

Long of the short - definitely will be only doing Sea World OR the Zoo, and thinking Sea World. We do only live about 40 mins from the Bronx Zoo which is pretty cool - might not be as good as the San Diego Zoo but we definitely don't have a Sea World. So, one decision made :D

Good decision :thumbsup2 I would have chosen that too.

There will also be a "celebrate" overlay for the World of Color which I expect to be cool - but given that I haven't seen the original WoC yet not as excited about this

Usually their seasonal overlays are pretty good, so I imagine this one will be really neat! Get excited! :hyper:

paint-the-night-2-jpg.88016

Very very cool! I bet it's going to be beautiful.

Wonder what they're doing to the Matterhorn? And glad they're doing something to update Peter Pan, that will be neat. I think DLR's version is so much better than the MK's version, I think you guys will like it :thumbsup2

That is so scary about the fire in your kitchen. I'm so glad that it didn't turn out to be a much worse situation!

Very cool that you'll get to experience the 60th anniversary events. That parade looks awesome!

Oh wow, that's some rough and scary kitchen events in a short span. Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been though.

As legendary as the San Diego Zoo is, I think Sea World is a good call. I've heard the Zoo is very hilly as well so Sea World probably more relaxing.

I bet the new fireworks will be beyond amazing. The 50th show (Remember... Dreams Come True) is the show I saw when I was there in 2012. And it was amazing. I imagine this will only plus on that.

and certainly won't look like a giant birthday cake

Oh God, don't remind me.

Honestly, I expect most 60th events to run for at least the year, but probably longer, so I have a feeling you'll be safe. And MY GOD that parade looks fabulous.

I saw/read about your kitchen on FB. Again...ugh and so sorry.

I think you made the right decision with Sea World. :)

I am loving everything I'm reading about for Disneyland's 60th and so glad you are going to experience it.

I'm sorry for the kitchen problems - it can't be easy living with your kitchen in limbo especially with 3 kids!

I think Sea World is a great choice. We're going to be visiting Sea World in Orlando this summer and it will be a first for us. Excited to try something new! We're also hitting up Legoland and Kennedy Space Center. The boys will be in heaven!

This parade sounds amazing! Interested to read more about the interactive features.

They just posted a new video about the overlay to Sleeping Beauty Castle - I think it is going to be very neat ... and certainly won't look like a giant birthday cake ;)

Oh my. I've only seen pictures but I think we can all agree that's a moment in Disney history that never need be revisited!

I am envious about your DL trip during the 60th anniversary celebration! From what I've read about the events and prizes, it will be fantastic!!

So I haven't read all 8 pages nor am I familiar with your family except breezing through Page 1 but I would like to throw in my 2cents that San Diego Safari Park is BY FAR our favorite thing to do when we visit. We have family and friends in SD so we go often but my DD4 always insists on the Safari Park (She and her cousin call it Jambo because of the sign).

And I won't bore you with the SeaWorld controversy that I'm sure you've already heard, but we used to go there often and have now made the choice not to support them and are just as happy doing Safari Park.
I think we pay about $60 each visit (our BFF's have passes so it's been free a few times as well)
My daughter's favorite is the Cheetah Run and the elevator down to the trams. We once also paid extra for the Sightline Safari which is just UNREAL! http://sdzsafaripark.org/safari/flightline-safari

Even leaving out my political views on SeaWorld - I'd vote Safari Park everytime.
A friend is a SeaWorld stockholder and mentioned they are drastically reducing their prices in a bid for better PR so I'm glad to see SDSP having deals as the above poster mentioned.

We've eaten our way through that city so if you have any culinary questions - I'm your chubby expert - I didn't get this body from eating kale :flower1:

Wow this is my first post EVER but I couldn't resist throwing out some information for San Diego!

Do you like cheese? (of course you do, everyone likes cheese) While in San Diego I discovered the most amazing novelty in the world to me... A gourmet cheese shop! Its called Venissimo Cheese and theres about 3 or 4 locations all over SD. The workers there will take their time to sample any cheese you want and pick and choose cheeses you might like based on your tastes or what you want to pair it with. So if you find the need for some snacks or a random charcuterie platter, seriously go check this place out. I nearly cried, I was so in love.

As for dinner, I would check out the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown SD. Its a pain to find parking but its full of great energy and wonderful restaurants. One place that really caught my eye while looking for restaurants down there was a place called Gaslamp Strip Club. It sounds sketchy, but its actually a really unique place where you order your steak and they give it to you wrapped and raw. You take it to a marinating station where they have sauces and dry rubs and then head over to one of the 4 grills where you grill your steak yourself! How fun is that? I always love a hands on experience :) Also I would recommend seafood while you're down there, it doesn't get fresher than San Diego!

Good luck on your trip and I cannot wait to see all your dining reviews on the next trip report. I'm a disneyland foodie and it'll be so fun to see your opinions on all my favorites! :)

Hi!
I'm joining in! I love the planning process! Your plans look really good. I know you have meals locked in but if you're interested in another counter service I'm fond of the Hungry Bear. One of the best things about it is the seating. The tables are all along the Rivers of America. You can watch the river traffic go by. It makes for a nice break on a warm day.

I'm sorry about all your kitchen damage. A new kitchen is nice though.

:scared1::scared1::scared1: Oh my gosh, that is terrifying! So glad it didn't turn out worse, but wow! Sorry you then had the water issue. :sad2: Your house is just not cutting you any breaks lately, is it? The new kitchen for 1/2 price is exciting, other than limiting your vacation a bit. Sounds like you have it all worked out okay, though.

Thank you, as I have very little idea of what is going on and might be going there. I did hear about a couple of those things from following the Disney Parks Blog recently on FB, but otherwise no clue on most. Dug just told me today that his company did decide to go back to Palm Springs for the retreat in November, so we are seriously looking at Disneyland (but we don't have dates yet). :cool1: I am going to have to take lots of notes on your planning. :goodvibes

To make things work I was at a work off site when the whole fire thing happened and thus felt pretty powerless over the situation. Definitely very thankful that it wasn't worse than it was though - as it could have been a lot worse!

That's great that DLR is back in the planning as Dug's retreat is set! Hopefully my planning / research helps you out a bit! Too bad our trips don't overlap though ... one of these years!

What a bummer about your double kitchen disasters - but how nice to get a kitchen remodel out of it. That is always worth the money IMHO.

The events for the 60th anniversary look really amazing. It makes planning even that much more fun!

we are trying to be positive about things and actually kind of excited talking about some design changes we can make ... just definitely not money we planned to spend. We have one of the bathrooms in our house that has been on the list to have redone for about 3 years now but other things keep coming up. I thought this would be the year, but obviously not.

The 60th anniversary stuff definitely was a big motivator in going this year rather than waiting - so far excited about the expected events and saw some of the special merchandise and some looks pretty cool - plus, just look at these cupcakes!

asdfjk654321-613x409.jpg

Oh yeah, check out Airbnb with your dates. It'll bring up ones that work for the # of nights you plan to go. All of our rentals in France are between 2-4 nights, and Miami was 2 nights.

RE the Disneyland 60th anniversary things going on - SO cool. That nighttime parade looks awesome. What's the paintbrush or app thing you mentioned? Do you know if this and the fireworks will be JUST for this year or are they simply introducing them this year?

And I've seen the posts on Facebook - that is just terrible about your kitchen :( What a pain to deal with it all. (I dont' think I knew about peter leaving the stove on - OMG!) I hope for your sakes that it is taken care of quickly and you don't have to shell out too much out of pocket.

Thanks! Just checked AirBnb and nothing came up for our dates - but maybe too far out? :confused3

So they have interactive paintbrushes you can buy that "interact" with the floats as they come by. Kinda makes me think of a combination of Glow with the Show the HP wands (but we haven't done that so I could be way off). They have been developing an app to do the same/similar with your phone. For example, if one of the performers with an LED costume comes near you, you can "paint" the costume with the magic paintbrush and that will change the color of the LEDs in the costume:

Here's a video (you can see the paintbrush working at about the 1:30 mark):

Thanks - the issues with the kitchen have just been stressful - but we know things could have been much worse. Part of the issue is water got into the oven and there is a convection fan in it and the plumber told us to not use the oven if water got into it (this is also our stove) so that has limited the cooking in our house. As least the weather has warmed up some so we can bar-b-q

So sorry to hear about your house troubles!

The Paint the Night parade definitely sounds like the most exciting part of the 60th! From what I've read, you should have no problem experiencing the new stuff as they expect it to stick around for a bit!

Thank you Alexis - definitely could have been worse, and we are thankful for that and know others aren't so lucky. Just definitely will limit the disposable income a little this year

Very excited about some of the new stuff - paint the night but also the new fireworks with projections, etc. sounds really cool. Figured some of the big stuff would be around for a while - but still makes me nervous when there aren't specific dates provided.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter