PTR: 6 adults, 2 kids, 3 states, 1 holiday, and a lot of Disney Dining!- Updtd 11/11

Hellllooooo Everyone! I know that updates have been a little ummm...non-existent (is that word I'm looking for?) lately. I'm finding it very hard to sit down and write about Disney food without getting (1) extremely hungry and (2) very sad. Hungry because...well does that really need an explanation? And sad because according to my Phunware Disney Undercover Tourist app I am currently 1,528,498 yds away from Tusker House. Not exactly a convenient location :rolleyes2

But in other, more pleasant, Real World news one of the reasons I've been unable to update is because the past few weekends I've travelled to both TN and IL for this guy's birthday! He's getting to be a such a big boy :)
538911_485042138180396_1020797237_n.jpg

I think Emily and I may have mentioned that Rick is an avid hunter, so his Mom ordered this awesome cake for his birthday. You can't really see the top of the cake, but it has a Browning logo (for you non-hunters or non-hunter's girlfriends/wives Browning is a gun/outdoor clothing manufacturer) along with some fall leaves. The cake was really beautiful (and this is coming from a girl who has seen her fair share of Camouflage Wedding cakes :eek:...i kid you not). The designer did a great job of making a hunting theme aesthetically pleasing...and it tasted GREAT!

One of the great parts of visiting Rick while he is in TN is that I get to see his whole family, including Minnie_Mom! We had a great weekend of shopping, eating, talking about shopping at Disney, talking about eating at Disney, talking about what we're going to wear to Disney...we're not obsessed..:confused3... But we ALSO hauled ourselves out of bed early Saturday morning and participated in a 5K run. Well..most of us did, the birthday boy chose not to participate (I think he was afraid of losing to a girl..). We had a great time, we brought home 2 medals AND it's possible you guys may see a Princess Half Dining Report in the future party:!

Speaking of Dining Reports...I should start talking about some Disney Food...right?

Our Day 3 plans start out bright and early with an 8:00 am reservation at....TUSKER HOUSE :yay:! Well..actually mine and Rick's res is at 8:25, but the rest of the group is at 8:00, so we're going early and hoping for a little luck in getting seated together:rolleyes1 if it doesn't work out no worries because we're at TUSKER HOUSE :yay:!

Tusker House is my favorite restaurant at Disney...not because of the food (although I do LOVE the food)...and not because of the atmosphere (although I do LOVE the atmosphere)...I love Tusker House because it's the first time I ever met....
IMG_1408.jpg

Rick! Just kidding...I knew him for like 3 days before our trip... it's the first place I met MICKEY MOUSE!!! I cannot describe how I excited and overwhelmed I became when I first hugged Mickey. I'm pretty sure that Rick and Emily's Dad even caught me tearing up a little bit. It was just unexplainable, one of the best feelings in the world (I felt a lot better when my sister had the same reaction when I brought her to WDW in January). Sidebar: Would someone please explain my outfit? I actually woke up in the morning and intentionally (apparently :confused3) put on a button down shirt and bright green plaid running shorts...I swear I wasn't drinking or self medicating...so I'm going to blame sleep deprivation and...no...I have no other excuses.

Lunch plans for this Day are still a little up in the air. Originally I was DETERMINED to eat at Yak and Yeti at least once on this trip. I've never eaten there before and it kind of became an obsession. Turns out, I was just craving Chinese food in general, so I travelled down to the good ol' China Star (a local eatery), helped myself to some Moo-Goo Gai Pan and a little Sesame Chicken and guess what? Obsession over. So while I still have a reservation for Y&Y, I think I would rather spend that time with the rest of the group at Art of Animation Food Court, or DTD. If everyone else decides to do Flame Tree I may do Y&Y as a CS (we eat a lot of Flame Tree type cuisine her in the 'Homa, so I don't think I'll be missing too much). Has anyone tried the Art of Animation Food Court? Any favorites yet?

Rick and I will be wrapping up the dining day here

ResortatNight.jpg
photo from disneybabiesblog.com

at the Cape May Clam Bake. This is another new place for both of us. We plan on spending most of the evening at Epcot then walking over for dinner. We both LOVE seafood, and even though I've read iffy reviews, we're excited about the crab legs. I've also heard that the Oreo Bon Bons are not on the menu, but if you ask for them they will make them has anyone had any luck with this? I've never tried them, but they look amazing!

images-2.jpg
photo from google

What are your "must eat" foods at the Clam Bake?

I'm also really excited to explore the Beach Club. This is where Beaches and Cream is, right? Of course we'll probably be STUFFED from the buffet...but my stomach has this amazing ability to always make room for ice cream...i don't know...must be magic :confused3 Any can't miss spots that we need to check out while at The Beach Club?

I'm baaaaaaack!

So, so sorry to leave all you guys hanging for the last TWO months! Wow, has it really been that long? Yes, it has and I'm so sorry. It has basically been that long since I've been on the Disboards. I put myself on Disboard time-out until I had time to post on this PTR!

The good news... I have a lot of posts ready to go. In fact, enough I had enough for 2 a day until we leave next week!

So, sit back, buckle-up, and get ready to read!!

To make it a little easier to explain, I’m going to break each restaurant down by why we chose it, how it fits into our plans, past experiences, expectations and what we hope to try.

Day Three

BREAKFAST: Tusker House
Why: We’re not big breakfast eaters but do like to have at least one breakfast at WDW. To me, there is no place in WDW like Animal Kingdom in the mornings. I love going into an almost empty park, walking through the early morning mist and becoming absorbed into my surroundings. Some would argue that MK is the place to be for a before park opening. While I would agree that getting an unspoiled castle picture is special, I still prefer my misty mornings in Animal Kingdom! As far as the food goes, it is fairly standard breakfast fare and everyone always leave with full tummies.

How it fits into our plans: Obviously, we are going to be at AK this morning. We have a before park opening reservation. I’m sure after we finish we’ll head over to Kilimanjaro Safaris for a post-breakfast animal trek.

Past experiences: Tusker House is consistently our favorite breakfast place. The boys like a traditional breakfast. The kids like Mickey Waffles. Mom likes yogurt, granola, pastries. I like trying different foods. Tusker House has always come through for us in these areas. My biggest complaint from past visits is that the meal can feel a little rushed and chaotic. I do not like the rushed feeling you get when the characters stop by the table. It can get a little stressful when trying to coordinate characters while getting to and from a buffet. Not to mention the dishes that pile up. In general, I prefer plated meals with the character experiences. I am making a promise to myself that this time we will take our time and not rush… even if it means leaving breakfast a little later than usual.

Expectations: A good breakfast and fun characters

What we hope to try: Mickey Waffles, interesting breakfast items

LUNCH: Flame Tree or AoA Food Court or DTD, but no set plans on lunch, yet. I’m guessing we will still be fairly full from breakfast. Maybe, I’ll grab a jalapeno pretzel for my lunch, and I’ve heard rumor that Rick and Jahni might be trying Yak and Yeti.

DINNER: Tangerine Cafe
Why we chose it: There really is no “we chose it” in this one. This is more of an “I chose it.” I suspect that I will be getting mine to go and meeting everyone else in another location in the showcase. I love their platters and can’t visit without having a least one!
How it fits into our plans: We will be in Epcot this evening exploring one of my favorite places... the World Showcase
Past experiences: I’ve always enjoyed this CS. Never had a bad experience!
Expectations: A yummy meal.
What we hope to try: Chicken and lamb platter and baklava

Since I promised two posts a day...

DAY FOUR

BREAKFAST: In-room
Why we chose it: Because we love Pop Tarts and granola bars? No, because it is fast and we are not huge breakfast eaters.
How it fits into our plans: It is fast and we like to be at the gates when the parks open!
Past experiences: Always pleasant
Expectations: A fast meal on the go
What we hope to try: I have a variety of items Pop Tarts, cereal bars, peanut butter crackers, and granola bars

LUNCH: CHH
Why we chose it: This is our favorite CS in MK.
How it fits into our plans: We will be in MK this morning for the Family Magic Tour.
Past experiences: We have always gotten yummy food here.
Expectations: Looking forward to trying to eat upstairs where it might be a little quieter.
What we hope to try: Fish, shrimp. I wanted to try the lobster roll, but some of the reviews have changed my mind!

Dinner: Sci-FI Drive-In
Why we chose it: This is P’s favorite restaurant. Originally, Sci-FI had not made our list. But one day we were talking about our favorite things at WDW and Porter said his favorite restaurant was the place with the cars and big TV. I have to admit that I was a little surprised. We’d only been here one time and hadn’t talked about it that much. However, maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised, he is a boy... and boys love cars & TVs.
How it fits into our plans: We are going to at HS of the Osborne Festival of Lights. We have the latest dinner reservation and plan to eat after viewing the light.
Past experiences: We enjoyed the food. I always welcome a yummy burger, especially on vacation!
Expectations: A yummy milkshake and P to have a great time!
What we hope to try: I will get my standard cheeseburger and Oreo milkshake. I am hoping that someone will try the All-American burger. I would love a taste, but don’t think I’d want an entire burger!

Hope you ENJOY...

DAY FIVE- FE OPENS!!! We will probably try to sneak over to MK at some point just to say we were there.

Why we chose it: FAST
How it fits into our plans: We want to be at rope drop
Past experiences:
Expectations:
What we hope to try:

LUNCH: Boulangerie Patisserie
Why we chose it: This is one place in the WS that everyone agrees on
How it fits into our plans: We will be in Epcot all morning and will be ready to go to the world showcase once it opens.
Past experiences: We ate here for the first time last October. I am still thinking about their napoleons.
Expectations: Yummy bakery items
What we hope to try: Ham and Cheese croissant and napoleon

DINNER: La Hacendia (Jahni and Rick eat a Tutto Italia)
Why we chose it: We love mexican food. Mom and dad have never eaten here so I wanted them to try it.
How it fits into our plans: We will be a Epcot this evening. Our reservations are timed were we could see Illuminations! from the restaurant IF we get lucky with our table placement. If not, we have it in our schedule to see later in the week. Jahni and Rick will the at Tutto Italia, so they will not be eating with us.
Past experiences: Jonathan, the kiddos, and I ate here last year. We enjoyed the food but found the serivce, specifically our waiter and the host, to be a little lacking. We are going to give it another shot this year. Hopefully, the service will be better
Expectations: Neither high nor low. I love mexican food, so I am really just hoping for a good meal. It doesn’t have to be the best food I’ve ever eaten just so long as it is not the worst!
What we hope to try: Not really sure and completely open to suggestions of menu items to try (or not try) if anyone has some. Thinking maybe the Taquiza and/or Taco de Camerones.

I promised 2 updates a day until we leave next week. So, here is post #2 for today...

DAY SIX

Why we chose it: By now you should know we eat in the room because it is fast and we like to be at rope drop :)
How it fits into our plans:
Past experiences:
Expectations:
What we hope to try:

LUNCH: BOG
Why we chose it: This will be the second day that BOG is open and the only chance for Rick and Jahni to try it.
How it fits into our plans: We will be touring in MK on this day.
Past experiences: Brand new!
Expectations: None
What we hope to try: Not sure... anyone have suggestions from the lunch menu?

DINNER: Cinderella Royal Table
Why we chose it: We have our own little princess so of course she needs to visit the castle!
How it fits into our plans: We will be in MK for the entire day. P has a Pirates League appointment scheduled and AA has a BBB appointment scheduled. I hope the princesses dont ming a pirate in their presence!
Past experiences: We have eaten two other times with the kids and they always enjoy it. We have been really lucky to get excellent waiters both times who have really catered to our prince and princess. Although the food is not as fantastic as most signatures, it has always been good and weve never had any problems with cleaning our plates. Lets face it, you are really not paying for the food here. You are paying to eat in the castle and thats ok with us. In addition to excellent service, we have also had excellent interaction with the princesses. Two years ago, Snow White danced around the table with P. Last year, Belle, P, and AA had a lengthy discussion about how the Beast could not fit through the doors of Cinderellas castle so they were building him a new castle next door. I had forgotten about this conversation until P reminded me of it a few weeks ago when I thought I was surprising him with new information about Beasts castle. He promptly replied, I know mommy. Dont you remember? Belle told us at Cinderellas house. He was, however, super excited to learn we were getting to eat at Beasts castle!
Expectations: Good service, fun with the princesses, and hopefully better pictures than last year. Anyone have tips on getting pictures at character meals without meesy plates everywhere? Also, its our latest dinner so Im also hoping that AA doesnt fall asleep!
What we hope to try: I want the cheese plate and the dessert trio! Porter is excited for the make-your-own sundae/cupcake option. Can you tell we both have sweet tooth?

Not going to lie... feeling a bit of Disney envy with you leaving so soon :)
Can't wait for the food to start. Should be fun getting two different perspectives from you and judgyjudgerson

I'm baaaaaaack!

Yay!! :cheer2:

So, so sorry to leave all you guys hanging for the last TWO months! Wow, has it really been that long? Yes, it has and I'm so sorry. It has basically been that long since I've been on the Disboards. I put myself on Disboard time-out until I had time to post on this PTR!

You're so disciplined...I've been lurking like stalker...it's almost shameful:crazy2:

The good news... I have a lot of posts ready to go. In fact, enough I had enough for 2 a day until we leave next week!

I have lots of posts ready too!! I mean, they're all still in my head and not really typed out or written down...but they are in there....somewhere...or not. Let's go with not. But they're coming!!!

So, sit back, buckle-up, and get ready to ready!!

:wave2:

While I would agree that getting an unspoiled castle picture is special, I still prefer my misty mornings in Animal Kingdom!
As do I..unfortunately, my hair does not enjoy the mist quite as much :clown: ponytail day, FOR SURE.

Maybe, I’ll grab a jalapeno pretzel for my lunch, and I’ve heard rumor that Rick and Jahni might be trying Yak and Yeti.
Rumors Rumors Rumors...I'm thinking we're sticking with the group on this one...unless the group decides to do Flame Tree, then I may do Y&Y as a CS (QS?) I've had BBQ twice this week and Mexican 3 times, I need to branch out. :scratchin

Happy Friday, everyone!

So, so nice to know that this time next week we will finishing up a nice dinner at California Grill. I can't wait!

Here is post #1 for today...

DAY SEVEN

BREAKFAST: Yep, you guessed... in the room!
Why we chose it:
Past experiences:
Expectations:
What we hope to try:

LUNCH: Min and Bill’s Dockside Dinner/Pizza Planet/Starring Rolls
Why we chose it: I want to try the stuffed sandwiches at the dockside diner, Porter is a Toy Story fanatic and wants experience Pizza Planet, and I am guessing my mom will want Starring Rolls (hopefully she’ll share a cupcake with me) :)
How it fits into our plans: We will be at Hollywood Studios for the day enjoying Toy Story Mania, Little Mermaid, and Indiana Jones
Past experiences: We have never tried the Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner or Pizza Planet
Expectations: I am hoping for a neat and yummy sandwich!
What we hope to try: Chicken Caesar Sandwich and Pizza

DINNER: WGP Express
Why we chose it: It is hands down our favorite CS at DTD
How it fits into our plans: This is our DTD night so it is the perfect time to enjoy WGPE
Past experiences: We have always enjoyed good meals and excellent service here
Expectations: We are expecting for the food and service to be consistent with our other visits.
What we hope to try: Meatloaf Sandwiches

Not going to lie... feeling a bit of Disney envy with you leaving so soon :)
Can't wait for the food to start. Should be fun getting two different perspectives from you and judgyjudgerson

I am so excited to be leaving in just a few days, but I still feel like I have so much planning to do. So many details to finish...

Please stick around... not only will you get 2 viewpoints but you'll also get some *bonus* reviews since there are times we will all split up!

You're so disciplined...I've been lurking like stalker...it's almost shameful

You should be ashamed of yourself. If I had more time, I'd go fine a great picture or quote or something to post right here. But lucky for you, I don't have time. I am disappointed in your behavior. You made a bad choice, but now let's focus on making good choices. Oops, sorry. Those last two sentence just slipped out. It seems to be my mantra these days with P and AA.

I was giving myself a self-imposed punishment... and it was NOT easy. Now I am so far behind on planning. YIKES!

I have lots of posts ready too!! I mean, they're all still in my head and not really typed out or written down...but they are in there....somewhere...or not. Let's go with not. But they're coming!!!

Sure, you do. I say, prove it! Put the pen to the paper, lady. Or, I guess, put the fingers to the keyboard?

As do I..unfortunately, my hair does not enjoy the mist quite as much :clown: ponytail day, FOR SURE.

I'm sure that I'll have a ponytail everyday. High ponytail, low ponytail, side part ponytail, ponytail with a small side twist, and the list goes on. All this hair I have... a ponytail is the only way to contain it! I am going Wednesday for a pre-trip cut. I told my hair stylist that I was ready for a change. She's been texting me pictures... We'll see if I can actually go through with it. I think she is most exited about the prospect of not have to deal with all my hair at every appointment! She has to set aside extra time for my appointments because there is so much hair. When your 3 year-old call you "Tangled" you know there is a problem.

All that to say... I'll be right there rocking the ponytail with you. Audrey Anne will be supporting us in pigtails. Mom, are you in, too? I know you are reading this. You can just text me. I know you won't post. :)

]Rumors Rumors Rumors...I'm thinking we're sticking with the group on this one...unless the group decides to do Flame Tree, then I may do Y&Y as a CS (QS?) I've had BBQ twice this week and Mexican 3 times, I need to branch out. :scratchin

Do you know where I live? Hello, BBQ capital of the world... But, I don't let that stop me. Nope, I'm tough. I'm having ribs 2-3 times on this trip.

Seriously, I understand. It is the same way with Chinese/Japanese food for us. We have a Chinese restaurant and a Japanese restaurant a mile away from our house. It is our go-to spot for take-out. I find myself running from Chinese/Japanese restaurants when we are on vacation.

Here you go. Post #2 for today.

[DAY EIGHT- It's THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

BREAKFAST: Capt. Cook’s
Why we chose it: We want to try the infamous Tonga Toast
How it fits into our plans: Since this is Thanksgiving, we are trying to avoid the parks. One of the things on our Holidays at WDW to-do list is a Christmas decoration tour of the monorail resorts. So that is what we will be doing on this morning. When we get to the Poly we’ll hop off to try a little Tonga Toast
Past experiences: New place
Expectations: To have the best french toast that I’ve ever eaten :)
What we hope to try: Tonga Toast, of course!

LUNCH: Not sure, maybe just a snack?
Why we chose it:
How it fits into our plans: We are currently debating going to play mini golf, going swimming or watching a little football after breakfast. Not sure what will win out!
Past experiences:
Expectations:
What we hope to try:

DINNER: Hoop-De-Doo
Why we chose it: We were looking for a fun, festive non-park option for Thanksgiving.
How it fits into our plans: We are going to do pony rides before dinner along with the campfire and hayride after dinner if time permits. We did not want to go into the parks on Thanksgiving but did want to do something fun and unique. We have never spent time at Fort Wilderness but have always wanted to. This seemed like the perfect time!
Past experiences: This will be a first for us!
Expectations: We are expecting some fun (and corny) entertainment and full bellies!
What we hope to try: EVERYTHING!

We were out of town yesterday so I did not get to post any updates. So, I'll try to give you four today.

Here's the first one...

DAY NINE... It's BE OUR GUEST day!

Why we chose it: You already know!
Past experiences:
Expectations:
What we hope to try:

LUNCH: Restaurantosaurus/Flame Tree
Why we chose it: Restaurantosaurus because I want the kids to get to try, especially for the kids meals which are served in pails with shovels. They can use them at the dig site. I added Flame Tree in case the grown-up want an alternate restaurant.
How it fits into our plans: We will be in AK this morning and will probably spend some time at the dig site
Past experiences: Never tried Restaurantosaurus, but love Flame Tree
Expectations: None
What we hope to try: Ribs for the grown-ups!

DINNER: Be Our Guest
Why we chose it: Once the opening was announced I knew I had to get a reservation here. I was up before the sun, called 300+ times to 4 different numbers from 2 phones for 2-3 hours before finally getting our reservation! We are so excited to get to have dinner at WDW’s newest restaurant.
How it fits into our plans: We will be in MK most of the day, probably in the newly opened FE.
Past experiences: None
Expectations: Since this will only be 4th day BOG is officially opened, we are expecting a few glitches to occur, but as long as that glitch does not include losing our reservation, I’m sure we will adapt. As with any restaurant, we are expecting yummy food and good service.
What we hope to try: I am a little nervous about what to try since I don’t have any reviews to pick from. I normally already know what the best/worst menu items are based off the Disboards reviews. I guess I’m taking one for the team on this one! Anyone have a particular item they would like reviewed?

One more update before we head out the door to church...

DAY ELEVEN- MVMCP... Our last park day :sad:

Why we chose it:
Past experiences:
Expectations:
What we hope to try:

LUNCH: Sleepy Hollow
Why we chose it: I really want to try the waffle sandwiches. Has anyone tried one? If so, which one do you suggest?
How it fits into our plans: Our last fun day at MK for the trip
Past experiences: Never tried Sleepy Hollow
Expectations: Fairly high. I’ve read a lot of shining reviews!
What we hope to try: I’d really like to try the both the Sweet and Spicy Chicken Sandwich and the Ham Sandwich. Hopefully, I can find someone to share with me!

DINNER: Casey’s
Why we chose it: AA and P love it!
How it fits into our plans: We will going to MVMCP on this night. IMO, Casey’s is a great place to eat if you are already in MK when the party is starting. For example, I like to see Main Street and experience it as the party begins, but I will already be in MK. So, we will eat between 6-7pm as the MK is transforming for the party as a way to say, “Good-bye regular day, Hello MVMCP!”
Past experiences: Love the location. Love, love that the kids will clean their plates.
Expectations: Good Views and fun atmosphere!
What we hope to try: P and AA want corn dog nuggets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter