PSA: Common Courtesy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the original post and some of the responses rather disturbing.
I feel like I need to be watching what I do so that I don't violate any of these rules, for fear of what might happen to me.

Everybody is so uptight these days...it's sad.

When all said and done, it is not going to matter that someone cut me in line. I will not let another person's rudeness ruin my experience.

So, what exactly IS "common courtesy"? Here's an interesting (short) article I found ...... http://******************/article/common-courtesy

Basically, common courtesy is going above and beyond, treating people with politeness, respect and kindness. IMHO, that doesn't mean spending more than 2 seconds worrying about someone leaving the line to take a kid to the bathroom, much less thinking up some "rules" about when and how they can return.

I recall a thread in the Disney World forum where someone posted their family had a system to keep people from barging ahead of them in line - line jumpers as well as parents returning from the bathroom with a small child. They would spread out and form a barrier so they couldn't pass, and the mother proudly proclaimed that her daughter played soccer or rugby or something, so she was no push-over.

So, guess who had a better time at Disney? That family, worrying about anyone getting ahead of them in line, just waiting for the opportunity to potentially get aggressive ..... or the person who displayed "common courtesy"?

If you need to leave the queue because of a [bathroom reason] then if you rejoin the queue you should go back to the EXACT same spot you left, not fifty spots ahead where your family is. If a queue is 30 minutes, then you should queue for 30 minutes, not 23 minutes plus a seven minute bathroom trip to make up the difference.

How does it affect you? They join their party and load as they would have had they stayed in line. Most likely not affecting when you load at all but if so, maybe for 1 ride. Which again, would have been your wait had they not left to go run to the bathroom.

People seriously take this stuff way too seriously. I get the frustration if a party of 2 all the sudden turns in to a party of 10 or more but at the same time, why get so uptight about it. Different cultures, location, upbringing, etc affect people's version of common courtesy and what's the social norm. No one is ever going to agree on this topic.

On our last trip to WDW there were 14 of us. We were all in line to ride Winnie the Pooh. Suddenly, my 17 month old began to smell foul! For the sake of my DS and everyone around us, I exited the line to change him. I told the first CM I saw what my emergency was and she directed me to the closest restroom. She also told me the exact spot to come back to to rejoin my family. Once DS was cleaned up, I went to that spot and the same CM let me through a gate and directed me to pass by others waiting in line to rejoin my family. I did not have to go very far to catch up to them. By the way she handled the situation I could tell this happened often! The 12 other members of our group kept moving along in line while I stepped out, so I don't feel like we were "cutting" the line to rejoin the others. Believe me, no one, family or not, would have wanted to stand next to my DS in line had I not exited with him! LOL

I hate when the line does a 90 degree turn and you go to the outside of the rail to get a bit of space, just to have the person behind you try to take the "inside" position so when the line straightens out again, you're behind them!

This isn't Nascar. But now it's awkward as I now have to accidentally step on your heels for the remainder of the line. :wave2:

:lmao::rotfl: This had me rolling but I TOTALLY agree with you.

If you need to leave the queue because of a [bathroom reason] then if you rejoin the queue you should go back to the EXACT same spot you left, not fifty spots ahead where your family is. If a queue is 30 minutes, then you should queue for 30 minutes, not 23 minutes plus a seven minute bathroom trip to make up the difference.

you say that, but would you do it if you were with friends/family and suddenly had to leave and they're 10-15 min ahead of where you last stood? or do you think it's nice to ask your party to wait in that exact spot for you while you go do something else?

I have absolutely no problem with people joining their group in line.
Entering the line later doesn't affect my wait-time anymore than if they waited the whole time. People need to ease up.

:cool2:

I find the original post and some of the responses rather disturbing.
I feel like I need to be watching what I do so that I don't violate any of these rules, for fear of what might happen to me.

Everybody is so uptight these days...it's sad.

When all said and done, it is not going to matter that someone cut me in line. I will not let another person's rudeness ruin my experience.

:hug:

----------------------

in regards to the OP.. personally, because I have an AP, I am MUCH nicer and more accommodating to families and their friends visiting and waiting, and ESPECIALLY to their children. However, I can see the frustration on the tourist's view.. having spent hundreds of dollars just to be in line for hours is very agitating. While those "common courtesies" are things you would think are "common", it's not.

Parents with strollers especially have NONE, ZERO, "common courtesy", and why is that? Mostly because the child they are pushing just demanded (rarely asked) for a drink or food or something that is hard to reach without stopping abruptly in the middle of the walkway and bending over so everyone behind you sees all sorts of things :eek: or tries to avoid bumping into you.

THEN! You have those same people with strollers who use their stroller as a crowd dividing device. Ankles are pretty important, in my honest opinion. There isn't much holding up our bodies between the leg bones to our feet bones.. it's just a couple of bones and that darned Achilles. But stroller aggressive parents LOVE to attack those. And then whine and cry when THEIR OWN ankles get hit. Gee, not a fan of Karma are ya? :rolleyes:

My list of grievances for "common courtesy" have only just to do with stroller courtesy to be honest. line cutting/holding is fine, we all do it. But not all of us have kids, nor do we all use the strollers like we should.. Same with wheelchairs and ECVs.. vehicles in crowded spaces are a nightmare. Especially after shows like Fantasmic, World of Color, or Fireworks. Yes, it's crowded, Yes we know you want to leave.. What do you think we're trying to do? Be in your way on purpose?? We're all trying to get to the same place you are, you're no more important than we are, we all paid hundreds if not thousands to be where we all are at that exact moment. /vent&rant.

Sigh.

PS: Walking through crowds in your party while everyone has their hands held together making a chain/string/train... SUPER ANNOYING. This is 2014, the digital age.. You all have cell phones and/or tracking devices on each other.. Tell everyone in your party before things get busy/crowded where you are all meeting at, at what time, and just get there. You do NOT need to be there at the same time, doing that just aggravates others and/or accidentally smacks a poor child or elderly person in the head/face because you decide you're going to lose everyone between point A & B. If everyone knows where they're going, just meet there, it's safer and faster to be honest! "hey everyone, after the fireworks are over, meet at in front of captain EO ok? it's over to the right of the Germ/water Ball". How hard was that? Much easier than trying to keep everyone attached to the un-hip and making long lanky armed trains. And if you get lost? Ask a CM where you're trying to get to! You're at Disneyland! You're not out in the wilderness and there's always someone somewhere that can help you find your way!!

/soapbox.

I think the majority of DLR visitors--the locals--deal with this stuff easily. It's just part of DLR's (and SoCal's) laid back attitude. The locals always seem to be able to determine when it's okay (i.e. a mom coming back from an unexpected potty break with her child) vs. when it's not (line cutting teens, etc.), and self-police accordingly. It's easier for this to happen at DLR because guests, being locals, tend to follow the rules in the parks, anyway.

I tend to think it's probably out-of-town visitors who get more bent out of shape at DLR about these things. Unlike locals, who have done everything at DLR over and over throughout their lives, out-of-town visitors have more at stake in terms of maximizing their time, so perceived issues that affect their waiting time and passage through the park are magnified for them.

Although I will add, unlike WDW, SoCal locals know their way around DLR like the back of their hands, so they tend to *fly* through the parks, along walkways and sidewalks, hurtling along at light-speed--even with strollers and kids in tow--without taking prisoners, so to speak. Those people flinging you out of the way along crowded paths are locals. This will never change--it's just one of the quirks of DLR. (For OP, who like me is from Chicago, this behavior is similar to the way we treat each other politely face-to-face here in Chicago, but drive like maniacs when we get behind the wheel. SoCal DLR vets are polite in queues, but all business when walking across the parks.)

My two cents.

Something I wish people would have had a little more common courtesy with when we were at DW: Get out of the way of our picture, please. I know not every picture is going to work out perfectly but when the Disney photographer is trying to take a picture of our family they are CLEARLY in it like they could have been the fifth member of our family (I don't mean the background) please just step to the side for 15 seconds.

I have absolutely no problem with people joining their group in line.
Entering the line later doesn't affect my wait-time anymore than if they waited the whole time. People need to ease up.

:thumbsup2
For me it's all about how many people are joining, 4 people joining is not on but 1 or an adult with a kid or two then fine....
For all the people saying in this case yes but in this one no....you don't know the reason and you don't have the right to ask...

I like that in the RSR queue they sell snacks and drinks when standby lines can be so long it really can make it more pleasant...

rydersmommy said:
On our last trip to WDW there were 14 of us. We were all in line to ride Winnie the Pooh. Suddenly, my 17 month old began to smell foul! For the sake of my DS and everyone around us, I exited the line to change him. I told the first CM I saw what my emergency was and she directed me to the closest restroom. She also told me the exact spot to come back to to rejoin my family. Once DS was cleaned up, I went to that spot and the same CM let me through a gate and directed me to pass by others waiting in line to rejoin my family. I did not have to go very far to catch up to them. By the way she handled the situation I could tell this happened often! The 12 other members of our group kept moving along in line while I stepped out, so I don't feel like we were "cutting" the line to rejoin the others. Believe me, no one, family or not, would have wanted to stand next to my DS in line had I not exited with him! LOL

Something like that is completely understandable

I read the OP and thought excellent I'm going to rant about people with wheels being ignorant but SultanPprShkr beat me to it :D

My pet peeve is people with the attitude that they have paid more to be there than I have. We all paid the same, basically, to get in the gate, and we are all trying to enjoy a good time.

What do you have to be so uptight about? Is the concept of lineups something that surprised you when you got there? Disney is 50% magic and 50% lineups. LOL. If you're going to be all tense about every little thing in terms of dealing with crowds, you going to ruin your own vacation and everyone's around you.

It's funny how people on wheels or parents putting the kids in strollers can't win for losing. If your kid is out of the stroller, he's a nuisance if he's in a stroller, he's a nuisance. If you behind somebody who's walking too slow, you're annoyed. If they're on an ECV, you're annoyed.

If everyone lowered their expectations just a tiny bit, everyone would be able to have a better time at the parks.

Tomato, I so agree with you.

Parents pushing strollers do not set out at DLR wanting to hurt or annoy anyone. But there are going to be times when accidents happen or a tired baby whines or cries.

In the words of my dear father (RIP), "You were a baby once, and you bothered people."

Tomato, I so agree with you.

Parents pushing strollers do not set out at DLR wanting to hurt or annoy anyone. But there are going to be times when accidents happen or a tired baby whines or cries.

In the words of my dear father (RIP), "You were a baby once, and you bothered people."

Thank you! My 70 year old father was pushing my DD in the crowd after Halloween fireworks. He has stage 4 terminal cancer and the stroller helped give him an extra support when he needed it. He never used it to push through crowds but in the sea of people in the dark near tomorrowland, he did accidentally bump an older woman in front him. He apologized immediately but instead of accepting the policy and moving on, the lady started talking crap to her grandson about how they need to watch out and yelling at my dad for being rude. I was so heated, it was a complete accident and she still acted like he intentionally rammed her. Maybe 5% of people with strollers use them to get through people but 95% if the families with strollers are just trying to get from point a to b with little kids in tow.

I think a lot of it has to do with perspective and how the person's day has gone. I read this thread thinking of my own opinions and who I agreed with and who I didn't but the more I thought about it the more I realized I think a lot of it is circumstantial. Most of us start off our DL morning all excitement and glee. You need to join your wife and son who's way up front? Sure, no problem, we all know how bathrooms, etc happen. I don't even have an issue with the FP runner joining back up. I'm usually a "as long as it's only a couple people" regardless of age kind of line person, but then it's 3pm and I've been in line for Space for an hour and 15 minutes and 30 something people have gone in front of me and then I start to get aggravated. I think the same applies to stroller people and I will be the first to say that I wish they did exist but they do and I deal. I think stroller people get to the same point at some point in the day like I do with line cutting/joining. They start off the morning with people running ahead of them but it's no big, they've got all day, but then it's 2pm and another group of teenagers has just cut them off jumping in front of them in line for the Matterhorn.

I too have a "space issue" in lines though. It drives me nuts when people keep bumping into me. A couple times okay, accident, but it gets to a point where I want to turn around and bump back. I understand that there are little ones all around, but if your child has bumped into me over and over and over and I keep looking at you, it's your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again. Pick them up, put them in the stroller, engage their attention. The gal who mentioned that she holds her son is right, if people are standing close enough to her that he kicks them, it is their fault. Toddlers legs are not that long, you should not be so close that they reach you.
I also think some parents need to be more aware of their child's needs. Too many parents these days do not want to be inconvenienced by their own children. If your child is hungry or tired then it's your responsibility to see to that now, not after the Story Book Canal boats when your child has kicked me three times. My niece threw a fit while in line for Dumbo so we left the line. It was no one else's responsibility to see to her, it was mine. I understand you want to get the value of your vacation but if you take a little time to respond to your child it'll go a lot more smoothly for everyone. Obviously this does not apply to everyone but our world in general is becoming more and more about entitlement and less and less about responsibility and that has got to change.

I read the OP and thought excellent I'm going to rant about people with wheels being ignorant but SultanPprShkr beat me to it :D
:cool1: lmao.

Thank you! My 70 year old father was pushing my DD in the crowd after Halloween fireworks. He has stage 4 terminal cancer and the stroller helped give him an extra support when he needed it. He never used it to push through crowds but in the sea of people in the dark near tomorrowland, he did accidentally bump an older woman in front him. He apologized immediately but instead of accepting the policy and moving on, the lady started talking crap to her grandson about how they need to watch out and yelling at my dad for being rude. I was so heated, it was a complete accident and she still acted like he intentionally rammed her. Maybe 5% of people with strollers use them to get through people but 95% if the families with strollers are just trying to get from point a to b with little kids in tow.

All i ask for are a small, "sorry!" when being bumped into. I run half marathons and races pretty frequently and my ankles are pretty important to me.. most of the time I don't get an apology, just a glare like, "why are you standing there in my way?!" instead.. the rare occasions will follow with a "oops! Sorry!" and that i'm fine with. it's the sheer obliviousness and/or purposely doing so that's maddening. :mad:

So from what I gather, expect others to be at your standards of common courtesy. Otherwise, its ok to take revenge when they break that common courtesy. EXCELLENT, can't wait to enjoy the park with everyone here.:thumbsup2

:cool1: lmao.

All i ask for are a small, "sorry!" when being bumped into. I run half marathons and races pretty frequently and my ankles are pretty important to me.. most of the time I don't get an apology, just a glare like, "why are you standing there in my way?!" instead.. the rare occasions will follow with a "oops! Sorry!" and that i'm fine with. it's the sheer obliviousness and/or purposely doing so that's maddening. :mad:

I remember before having children how annoyed I would feel about strollers hitting me. Now I am the one pushing a stroller, so I try to keep that in mind. In the many, many visits I have taken with my kids, I only ever remember hitting someone twice. Both times I apologized profusely (even though both times the people walked out right in front of me and suddenly stopped). I take great care in pushing my stroller and do my best to navigate so I don't hit anyone (just like I do when driving my car). I think it's unfortunate that others don't try as hard to do the same, but as anything in life there will be people who are oblivious or don't think about others. It's very hard to navigate sometimes, especially after fireworks or Fantasmic. We learned early on to let the masses go ahead of us while we linger back. It's easier for us. For sure looking forward to the no stroller days in the future =)

I try not to let others bother me on my vacation. Why be angry at the Happiest Place on Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter