PSA: Common Courtesy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylersmith

Mousketeer
Hi, I wanted to start a thread for common courtesy rules that some people need to read.

1.) If your party member, for whatever reason, leaves the line or enters the line after you, you go to the back. Don't have them cut however many people to be with you. It's just plain rude. (I'm in line for the Farris wheel right now and over a course of 10 minutes, 5 people, all walking separately, have done it)
EDIT: I understand if you have a child that needs to go to the bathroom. Otherwise, not so much.

2.) If you're walking in a crowd, and suddenly feel the need to stop, go off to the side. Don't stand in the middle of people traffic and stop dead center, looking frustrated when people bump you.

If you have any more, feel free to add them. Thank you

1.) If your party member, for whatever reason, leaves the line or enters the line after you, you go to the back. Don't have them cut however many people to be with you. It's just plain rude. (I'm in line for the Farris wheel right now and over a course of 10 minutes, 5 people, all walking separately, have done it)

You are never going to get consensus on this issue...it's just to broad and blank of a statement. There have been numerous threads on the Disneyland and Disney World boards about line holding and it usually splits into two camps: those that agree with you and those that feel that are situations when line holding is acceptable.

Here is a recent thread on the very subject:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3262726

I don't think this will go well as there is already a long thread with opinions about holding line spots. In September, 7 people in my group got in line for the Ferris wheel. I stayed back with my youngest. 35 minutes into the wait, my 4 year old had to potty. They had about a 10-15 minute wait left. Her grandpa took her out, she went to the bathroom then they returned. They shouldn't have to start their wait all over so you aren't inconvenienced for two seconds while they politely excuse their way back to the rest of their group. And yes, we made frequent potty trips but a kids bladder is very unpredictable so that doesn't always work out. Just my 2 cents. I know many agree with me and many agree with you, but you come off as rude in your OP, demanding that people do things your way.

figment_jii said:
You are never going to get consensus on this issue...it's just to broad and blank of a statement. There have been numerous threads on the Disneyland and Disney World boards about line holding and it usually splits into two camps: those that agree with you and those that feel that are situations when line holding is acceptable.

Here is a recent thread on the very subject:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3262726

The way I see it, it's okay if you have a young one and they have to go to the bathroom. If you have six 14-year-olds who want to go ride another ride while you wait, no.

The way I see it, it's okay if you have a young one and they have to go to the bathroom. If you have six 14-year-olds who want to go ride another ride while you wait, no.

But you didn't state that in your OP. You gave a blanket statement without any exceptions. Either way, the link PP gave to the other thread touches on the very topic. It's not universally accepted either way so as much as you consider it common courtesy, its not a widely accepted rule and there are definitely instances which are much more acceptable than others.

This paints with too broad of a brush. Depends upon the particular queue -- some queues lend themselves to rejoining party members, and some don't, and I'm much less forgiving of someone if they have to engage in all sorts of gymnastics to get by every single person they have to jump. If there is a spot where they can just duck under a rope and rejoin the party, it's a different matter.

The reason is the big thing for me, though. If someone has already been in line for 45 minutes and their child announces that they have to go to the bathroom, I'm not going to fault them for not starting the process over again entirely. Also, it can sometimes be better for all involved to have a small child waiting somewhere nearby and joining the rest of the party when they get close to getting on the attraction. Point is, I can think of legitimate reasons why someone ought to be given a little leeway when rejoining a party is involved.

Able bodied adults need to wait in line, though, barring a really good excuse. That would NOT include:

-Ran to grab FPs
-Ran to grab soda
-Had to hit the restroom before getting in line

Anything like that, your party should wait for you before joining the line, IMO.

How about the people that bump into your backside for the ENTIRE duration of the line queue? :headache:

1. Can you not see me at all?
2. Can you not try harder to keep your distance after the first 5 times you hit me?
3. Do I need to hang a tennis ball between us?
4. Do you really think you'll get on the ride faster by standing this close to me?

bakerudall said:
How about the people that bump into your backside for the ENTIRE duration of the line queue? :headache:

2. Can you not try harder to keep your distance after the first 5 times you hit me?
4. Do you really think you'll get on the ride faster by standing this close to me?

I feel such a spiritual connection to that comment

Totally! :rotfl2: I want to say being all up in my business is only going to make me move a little more slowly. ;)

People who stop without moving to the side drive me crazy, I will walk right into you on purpose. Only at the mall at Christmas though. I try to be nice at Disney lol, honestly nothing gets to me there.:)

So true!! :thumbsup2

I hate when the line does a 90 degree turn and you go to the outside of the rail to get a bit of space, just to have the person behind you try to take the "inside" position so when the line straightens out again, you're behind them!

This isn't Nascar. But now it's awkward as I now have to accidentally step on your heels for the remainder of the line. :wave2:

How about the people that bump into your backside for the ENTIRE duration of the line queue? :headache: 1. Can you not see me at all? 2. Can you not try harder to keep your distance after the first 5 times you hit me? 3. Do I need to hang a tennis ball between us? 4. Do you really think you'll get on the ride faster by standing this close to me?
The toddler situation comes into play here too... I swear, I can put my daughter in front of me or behind me and she will manage to bump into people. I apologize and AGAIN tell my daughter to be more aware of her surroundings, but she is a toddler! Now, adults, teens, and older children... In another year or so if my daughter can not be more observant, she will need a time-out from rides to remind her to be more courteous to others.
In non-formal queues like the entry to the carousel or the train,or during shows where we need to stand, I hold my son and he swings his legs. I try to leave room, but people fill in the couple of feet I leave and get kicked. I don't apologize to them; it was their fault for pushing in front of me.

This paints with too broad of a brush. Depends upon the particular queue -- some queues lend themselves to rejoining party members, and some don't, and I'm much less forgiving of someone if they have to engage in all sorts of gymnastics to get by every single person they have to jump. If there is a spot where they can just duck under a rope and rejoin the party, it's a different matter.

The reason is the big thing for me, though. If someone has already been in line for 45 minutes and their child announces that they have to go to the bathroom, I'm not going to fault them for not starting the process over again entirely. Also, it can sometimes be better for all involved to have a small child waiting somewhere nearby and joining the rest of the party when they get close to getting on the attraction. Point is, I can think of legitimate reasons why someone ought to be given a little leeway when rejoining a party is involved.

Able bodied adults need to wait in line, though, barring a really good excuse. That would NOT include:

-Ran to grab FPs
-Ran to grab soda
-Had to hit the restroom before getting in line

Anything like that, your party should wait for you before joining the line, IMO.

Looking able bodied and being able bodied are two different things....just because an adult looks able bodied on the outside doesn't mean they are on the inside...perhaps they have bladder issues as well and just because they aren't a child means they have to suffer. You can usually tell when people are cutting the line because they didn't want to have to wait the whole time and are now meeting up with their family since they are at the start of the ride, there are usually a bunch of them (those people do not get passed me) and those that have taken themselves or a child to use the rest room due to the wait.

The toddler situation comes into play here too... I swear, I can put my daughter in front of me or behind me and she will manage to bump into people. I apologize and AGAIN tell my daughter to be more aware of her surroundings, but she is a toddler! Now, adults, teens, and older children... In another year or so if my daughter can not be more observant, she will need a time-out from rides to remind her to be more courteous to others.
In non-formal queues like the entry to the carousel or the train,or during shows where we need to stand, I hold my son and he swings his legs. I try to leave room, but people fill in the couple of feet I leave and get kicked. I don't apologize to them; it was their fault for pushing in front of me.

Oh, the younger children don't bother me (I have six), unless I'm getting smacked with a lightsaber or fairy wand. They have yet to figure out what all the buttons and switches in their body do.

I hate when the line does a 90 degree turn and you go to the outside of the rail to get a bit of space, just to have the person behind you try to take the "inside" position so when the line straightens out again, you're behind them!

This isn't Nascar. But now it's awkward as I now have to accidentally step on your heels for the remainder of the line. :wave2:

:rotfl:

Remember, if you need to spin them out, aim for the left-rear quarter panel. :thumbsup2

Looking able bodied and being able bodied are two different things....just because an adult looks able bodied on the outside doesn't mean they are on the inside...perhaps they have bladder issues as well and just because they aren't a child means they have to suffer. You can usually tell when people are cutting the line because they didn't want to have to wait the whole time and are now meeting up with their family since they are at the start of the ride, there are usually a bunch of them (those people do not get passed me) and those that have taken themselves or a child to use the rest room due to the wait.

:thumbsup2
This!! The truth is, you just don't know. I have a weird thing that makes me have to use the restroom often, some days I'm fine for hours but others not so much, it's sort of random but I know when I have to go I have to go, there's no waiting. It's a physical thing that I can't control so I have left the line, ran to the bathroom and then rejoined my group. Why is that a problem? My kids have also had to go mid-line and so they have and then rejoined us, again, why an issue? There have been times I've missed catching up in a good place, usually I just skip the ride but a few times (when the family knew I really wanted to go on that ride) they have said something and the CM has waved me through the exit so I could ride. Of course, we are a party of 4 so generally if I'm not there that spot just goes empty, rarely does a SR get put with my family. lol
I think that it is up to everyone to use common sense and good judgement and not be rude or push your way through a line that you really can't get through but it should be on a case by case basis.

Pixiewing me too- i hate how often i sometimes have to go yet my doc says nothings wrong with me. Ya i don't think this thread will go over to well seeing that we do have a long post all about line holding and cutting.
OP- maybe you should take the line holding part out of the first post and try again. I do think some of this thread will be ok, others will not.

If you need to leave the queue because of a [bathroom reason] then if you rejoin the queue you should go back to the EXACT same spot you left, not fifty spots ahead where your family is. If a queue is 30 minutes, then you should queue for 30 minutes, not 23 minutes plus a seven minute bathroom trip to make up the difference.

I have absolutely no problem with people joining their group in line.
Entering the line later doesn't affect my wait-time anymore than if they waited the whole time. People need to ease up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter