PRINCESS Palooza 2011! 9/9 Update: Departure Day

:thumbsup2

my vote is in I vote crazy!! :laughing:

Well, I'm sure you won't be alone in your vote! :lmao:

In my defense, I will point out that I love to shoot in burst mode on the rides. Put me in BTMRR with a wide angle lens and I'll shoot most of the way around (you know, when I'm not holding on for dear life!) I'll have a few keepers out of that but will delete the rest.

My big challenge this year was trying to get a good shot while going down the big drop on Splash. I'm not sure if I got "the shot", but I learned a lot about my approach each time we went down.

Try 1: Don't sit behind strangers. I don't care that much about having their big heads in my photos

Try 2: Go wide angle for a better shot at getting the critical elements in

Try 3: Don't sit in front. Too much water! :lmao:

Try 4: Hold the camera up over your head for the best angle. Hold tight! :rotfl2:

Try 5: Don't fill your buffer getting the settings right going UP the hill. You need to shoot farther down on the hill.

Last but not least........Buy more camera rain covers..........

I haven't even looked closely at the last set yet. They looked....... interesting........ on the LCD screen, but that doesn't hold up well in bigger views sometimes. Stay tuned.........

Rock on can't wait to see your stuff... one of these days I think I should do a solo trip to WDW and bring my good camera.

I have this thing where I am either in scrapbook book photography mode, where I am telling a story and documenting the trip or...

I am in in gallery mode and all I do is artsy fartsy stuff I have no middle ground. But really though. I just need a new camera my D2X sucks, my color looks like crap and well it weighs a ton so I never shoot with it any more. I will try to post some of my favs from this last trip for you to see. I am sure you are interested in the dif in the cameras pro point and shoot vs. SLR, I know I am

I'm joining in! I've been lurking on last year's trip so now I'm hopping over heres. I love the dresses that you make for Katie, they are so good! I'm a big picture taker on our trips too. Right now I am trying to get all the pictures and momentos together from our last trip to start the scrapbook. As a Disney scarpbooker, where to you find has the best selection of Disney scrapbook supplies? We're mostly limited to Michael's and Hobby Lobby here, which has been OK but is basically limited to stickers.

We were also there from 12/10-12/13! It was a little more rainy that I would have liked but a rainey Disney day sure beats no Disney day!

Christine

Rock on can't wait to see your stuff... one of these days I think I should do a solo trip to WDW and bring my good camera.

I have this thing where I am either in scrapbook book photography mode, where I am telling a story and documenting the trip or...

I am in in gallery mode and all I do is artsy fartsy stuff I have no middle ground. But really though. I just need a new camera my D2X sucks, my color looks like crap and well it weighs a ton so I never shoot with it any more. I will try to post some of my favs from this last trip for you to see. I am sure you are interested in the dif in the cameras pro point and shoot vs. SLR, I know I am

I know exactly how you feel! I long to take a trip where I can really focus on photography. But as long as I'm in mom mode, my focus will be documenting the trip for my scrapbook pages later. I know I won't get these days back and the parks will still be waiting for me to be there one day in real creative photographer's mode. Until then, I just keep trying to sneak in a few creative shots here and there.

And yes, I'd love to see your shots. I keep thinking one day I'd like a nice quality P&S and I've heard the G12 is quite good, even better in the hands of someone like you who knows what they're doing.

I'm joining in! I've been lurking on last year's trip so now I'm hopping over heres. I love the dresses that you make for Katie, they are so good! I'm a big picture taker on our trips too. Right now I am trying to get all the pictures and momentos together from our last trip to start the scrapbook. As a Disney scarpbooker, where to you find has the best selection of Disney scrapbook supplies? We're mostly limited to Michael's and Hobby Lobby here, which has been OK but is basically limited to stickers.

We were also there from 12/10-12/13! It was a little more rainy that I would have liked but a rainey Disney day sure beats no Disney day!

Christine

:welcome:

I'm so glad you stepped out of lurker mode and decided to say hi! You somehow managed to hit that only 2 rainy days of our 10 night trip! But at least it wasn't bitter cold like last year. Yeah, that probably doesn't help, does it? We got completely soaked at the MVMCP on 12/11!

I LOVE to scrapbook and love to buy Disney scrapbook supplies! I've seen it all, and to be honest, it's all been out there some time. I have most of what I like in any of the lines available. So I'm now always looking for inspiration on new ways to scrap Disney without the licensed products. I joined a Yahoo group for Disney scrapping and have been happily inspired there for some time. If you'd like a link, let me know and I'll post it. Vanessa who posted here recently on my TR is also in the group. They have monthly challenges and swaps and is full of very talented ladies. I get inspired there on a routine basis.

I don't think there's a real "best" place for the licensed Disney stuff. I find some stuff at HL, some at JOAnn's, some online, some at a local scrapbook shop. Any time new stuff comes out, someone on our Yahoo group will usually let us know so we can hunt it down. They also let us know when non-Disney stuff comes out that would work well for Disney pages.

Thanks Carey! Happy New Year right back at you! And everyone else too :party:

We're celebrating in our traditional fashion with a special family dinner out at the Hibachi restaurant on the plaza here in KC. It's a Japanese steak house. We did eat at Teppan Edo this trip, which was a lot of fun, but we all like the food here better. The presentation is better at TE, but the food here is better. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

6k shots? Were you shooting on continous mode?:lmao:
Seriously that is a lot of shots. I think the most I came home with was 3k. My kids will start getting mad at me when I hit high numbers. I need to work to get to your level. Another 2012 New Year's Resolution for me!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
YAY! I found it!!

Glad to see that you saw your FGM again!! Living through you… waiting on Disney to call and tell me that I won one of these vacations that they are giving away…. :cloud9:

6k shots? Were you shooting on continous mode?:lmao:
Seriously that is a lot of shots. I think the most I came home with was 3k. My kids will start getting mad at me when I hit high numbers. I need to work to get to your level. Another 2012 New Year's Resolution for me!
Well, I didn't shoot continuous all the time, but did a lot of the time on the rides. I got some cool series of shots on BTMRR and on Splash. I can't wait to put them together as scrapbook pages.

I don't feel like I'm always shooting, but when I do, I take lots of shots. I really get in a zone with it when I'm watching parades, shows or fireworks. I really enjoy shooting those.

I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. Just get out there with that new camera and have FUN! It just so happens for me that fun turns out to be a large number of frames.........

When I'm at home, life is usually too crazy to get out and shoot creatively very often. Disney is my chance to stretch my wings with the camera, so who cares if I fill all the cards! :lmao:

Hi! :welcome:

Glad you found us neighbor! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like as you prepare for your trip. I'm quicker to reply here since my PM box gets full a lot.

YAY! I found it!!

Glad to see that you saw your FGM again!! Living through you… waiting on Disney to call and tell me that I won one of these vacations that they are giving away…. :cloud9:

Hey Francis! :wave: glad you found us! :cool1: How's that new baby.... ok, maybe not so new any more..... but how is she?

And LOL on waiting for that phone to ring! I'll let you know when I get MY call. :lmao:

Anyone want to meet me at the MK for 24 hours of fun on the 29th???? :rotfl2:

That would SO not be my style. As much as I go, go, go at Disney....... I'm one who needs those 8 hours of sleep. Although I'm sure I would love to be there to see the sunrise......... I still could never last.

Hi! :welcome:

Glad you found us neighbor! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like as you prepare for your trip. I'm quicker to reply here since my PM box gets full a lot.

thanks! I guess I'm just looking for ideas on a super magical experience. we are going on mlk day to mk for just the day but plan to be there allll day. then we'll be in tampa for a few days and then we may be able to get a partial day at dhs in. it'll be my dh and i, and our 6 yr old dd, 4 yr old ds, and 17 mos old ds (his first trip!). we will do a lot of character greets and some rides.

is there anywhere on these boards where people sell their too small outfits? :)

thanks! I guess I'm just looking for ideas on a super magical experience. we are going on mlk day to mk for just the day but plan to be there allll day. then we'll be in tampa for a few days and then we may be able to get a partial day at dhs in. it'll be my dh and i, and our 6 yr old dd, 4 yr old ds, and 17 mos old ds (his first trip!). we will do a lot of character greets and some rides.

is there anywhere on these boards where people sell their too small outfits? :)

First, you're doing the right thing by hanging out here on the DIS. Are you well-versed on how to maximize fastpass? This is critical since you have only one day and will want to try out as much as you can.

Be there before rope drop. Feel brave and want to get to the park 90 minutes before opening? Maybe you could be chosen to open the park! OK, so maybe not too, but you DO have a good size family to be chosen. Regardless, be there BEFORE rope drop so you can get some things done (and fastpasses accumulated) before the crowds build.

Are you aware Dumbo will be closed? Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but would hate for you to be chatting it up with the kids if you can't ride.

You're going on a holiday, but it's a Monday and I would expect most to be heading home by Monday from a long weekend, so it probably won't be too bad.

Read as many character threads here on the DIS as you can find. Look for the link to Kenny the Pirate's thread on characters. It's very detailed and up to date.

The princesses and Mickey/Minnie are on FP. DON"T miss getting these FP's. Get one for Mickey on the way in. That won't delay you getting a FP to another ride. If you choose to get one for the princesses (you should at some point as the line does get long-ish sometimes) do know it will delay you getting another FP for an hour. We got Mickey FP's every day and stopped to see him on our way out of the park. It was great fun especially knowing we waited 45 minutes to see him our first time in the MK in 1999.

Have you considered having your daughter wear a favorite Princess costume in the parks? It makes for great photos, and she's at a great age for it.

Let me know if you have other questions or a certain character you're looking for! :banana:

I wish I could really get going with the trip report, but am busy working on the Photopass pics so I can get that on its way. With Christmas right after getting home, my 30 days seems to be FLYING by! :scared1:

I certainly don't want to clog up your thread with stuff about my trip but...

I do have a plan for approaching the day which I got with help over at easywdw. I don't know if posting it here will just confuse me, as I'm sure you and others might have different advice, but the basics are to right away start collecting fast passes but start off with character greets in the morning. then add in rides later on. I don't have getting mickey and princess fast passes scheduled until 11:30 am, but hopefully that will be ok. I was planning on my kids all wearing toy story t-shirts, but bringing along our sleeping beauty dress for princess meets. I don't think we're going to make it early enough to get chosen for the family that opens the park, though that would be awesome!

yes both dumbo and btmr are closed when we are there. we are sad but will be ok!

I wish we had time to hang out and be leisurely about finding characters, etc, but with just one day we have to hope it all works out! if you want to see the actual time plan I can copy it over here. :)

Yay!! I opened the TR at random without really realizing that it was yours! But yay! I'm excited to read along with your trip!! We would be the ones that kinda ran into you in the shops on Main St at the end of MVMCP on the 16th! :yay:

My niece is 19 but she has never been. She wants to meet Aladdin and Peter Pan so far. I have a feeling she will be adding to the list. We only have 1 day in each park so we have to maximize out time. I'm very excited the part of the new Fantasyland will be open while we are there.

I wanted to ask since you just went, are the CMs sticking to the FP return times? I was hoping to collect as many fps as possible and return when we could. I know we can't return early, but I'm hoping we can return late.

Even your airport pictures are great, I mean really, hahaha.

It looks like Katie and Snow White almost have the same shoes. :goodvibes

I'm already really enjoying this TR and you've only barely checked in to Pop! Excited to read more!

We would be the ones that kinda ran into you in the shops on Main St at the end of MVMCP on the 16th! :yay:

I was at MVMCP that night too! So funny, I wonder if I ran into you at all.

I certainly don't want to clog up your thread with stuff about my trip but...

I do have a plan for approaching the day which I got with help over at easywdw. I don't know if posting it here will just confuse me, as I'm sure you and others might have different advice, but the basics are to right away start collecting fast passes but start off with character greets in the morning. then add in rides later on. I don't have getting mickey and princess fast passes scheduled until 11:30 am, but hopefully that will be ok. I was planning on my kids all wearing toy story t-shirts, but bringing along our sleeping beauty dress for princess meets. I don't think we're going to make it early enough to get chosen for the family that opens the park, though that would be awesome!

yes both dumbo and btmr are closed when we are there. we are sad but will be ok!

I wish we had time to hang out and be leisurely about finding characters, etc, but with just one day we have to hope it all works out! if you want to see the actual time plan I can copy it over here. :)

Well, PM me again if you want to email me your list. But I don't mind discussing your trip a big here while everyone is waiting for me to get going.

I have always been a big Disney planner. Heck, it's my favorite past-time in the long months between Disney trips. But mostly I just make a loose plan, like which park on which day, which ADR's, and a loose order of rides I want to do. I have never used a detailed timeline of what I expect to do when. So honestly even if you posted it, I probably wouldn't have a lot of feedback. How things work out depend SO much on the conditions and crowds that day to be able to map them out with much detail.

First, KUDOS for planning and doing your homework. But second, I do urge you to be flexible and stop to smell some roses along the way. I just finished journaling our first day in the MK on this trip. We really got a lot done, but there wasn't much time to stop and smell any roses. Mostly that's because my husband is very ride-centered and this was his only real MK Day, while Katie and I would have many other days still in the MK to go at a slower pace (you know,if we wanted to!)

It sounds like you have a good plan. Just go with it but keep flexible. In the mean time, I'll post the link to Kenny the Pirate's character times guide when I find it again. Nothing wrong with at least having a printout of character times to consult if you choose to.

In the meantime, let us all know what other questions you have.

Yay!! I opened the TR at random without really realizing that it was yours! But yay! I'm excited to read along with your trip!! We would be the ones that kinda ran into you in the shops on Main St at the end of MVMCP on the 16th! :yay:

Well, we definitely were there that night so it could have easily been us. And we were there in the shop pretty late, so the odds were pretty good! I'm glad you found us here! :welcome:

My niece is 19 but she has never been. She wants to meet Aladdin and Peter Pan so far. I have a feeling she will be adding to the list. We only have 1 day in each park so we have to maximize out time. I'm very excited the part of the new Fantasyland will be open while we are there.

I wanted to ask since you just went, are the CMs sticking to the FP return times? I was hoping to collect as many fps as possible and return when we could. I know we can't return early, but I'm hoping we can return late.

Just keep working on her Vanessa. Surely you can talk her into a couple dozen more characters????????? :teeth:

How cool that you'll get to see the first part of Fantasyland open again! I'm hoping to catch even more next fall or winter. Still not sure when though.

Not to worry on the FP front. We used a LOT of fastpasses on this trip, and I don't think we used a single one on time! And nobody so much as batted an eyeball at us. We had 4 or 5 sets of RnR fastpasses we used one after another one day at RnR late in the evening, all late. Not so much as a second look. We collected them all morning and used them when we went back that evening.

So plan away. Change could still happen one day, but I don't think it's happening soon.

Even your airport pictures are great, I mean really, hahaha.

It looks like Katie and Snow White almost have the same shoes. :goodvibes

I'm already really enjoying this TR and you've only barely checked in to Pop! Excited to read more!

I was at MVMCP that night too! So funny, I wonder if I ran into you at all.

Man, you guys are good to me. I'm glad you like the airport pictures! I always love to get my camera out at the airport because THAT is when it feels like the trip has officially begun! :banana:

I love your enthusiasm! I hope the TR does not disappoint! Sorry for the slow start. I edited a TON of photopass pics today and got my journal done for the first 2 days. And boy are my fingers tired! :lmao: I need to get the journal done before I forget it all, then I'll start posting parts here with pictures. I'm just now finally looking at the photos myself for the first time. It's amazing to me how long ago it all seems already. :sad:

The 16th was pretty crazy at the party, wasn't it? The weather was great though, so that helped.

Thanks - I am actually thinking of starting my own thread. I'll let you know when it's ready! I definitely know we'll have to be flexible, and I do want to stop for rose smelling too, so hopefully that will happen!

Thanks - I am actually thinking of starting my own thread. I'll let you know when it's ready! I definitely know we'll have to be flexible, and I do want to stop for rose smelling too, so hopefully that will happen!

That sounds like a great idea. You'll get lots of great suggestions I'm sure.

Do you plan to watch any shows or parades?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter