Princess Mya's MAW Trip Report: First Day and Going Away Party Posted 3/6/09

Yeah...:cool1: :cool1: Happy to hear you have all your flight information, must feel really real now huh...:thumbsup2

I hope Aiden is feeling better soon, and more so is feeling good for his trip. Everytime Jake ends up in the hospital, I fear he will get sick for his wish trip, I will keep Aiden in my thoughts and prayers over this next month.

Again Congrats on getting all your ticket info...:banana: :banana: :banana:

We got Ticket Info.

Leave Dallas 10 am arrive around 1:30

Leave Orlando 5:30 the following Saturday!

I'm hoping we might get something in on both days. Was hoping for an earlier flight the first day, but guess we don't have to get up at crazy hours now.
that is great we leave the same day as you but our flight is at 1 pm

Arriving at MCO at 1:30, figure it will take you about an hour out to GKTW by the time you get the car. You'll have your meeting and get your passes - it will be a really good time to get in some of the GKTW activities - I don't know that I would expend a park ticket on the partial day - and learn your way around. I forget what the Saturday night activity is . . . Maroo? do you remember?

It is Mayor Clayton's Birthday party. We had fun with that. Lots of games, birthday cake, and they can meet Mayor Clayton and his wife, too! :) But that could change, they sometimes swap it up!

With that much time, I would probably do as much GKTW stuff as possible...go to Walmart to get snacks, etc...get settled in your villa...and if it looks like the kids are getting restless (which I sort of doubt) AND you have already done your orientation...then you could maybe use a Universal/IOA ticket, since you get two of those. :) Gosh...that sounded confusing!

But, since you also have a good half day on Saturday, you could also use that "extra" Universal ticket on Saturday, if you wanted. You have 6 full park days and the half day Saturday, right? Because you are going an extra day?

We got Ticket Info.

Leave Dallas 10 am arrive around 1:30

Leave Orlando 5:30 the following Saturday!

I'm hoping we might get something in on both days. Was hoping for an earlier flight the first day, but guess we don't have to get up at crazy hours now.

Those flights are GREAT!!!!! perfect arrival and departure! :) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Wow, your trip is getting closer. Hopefully you will enjoy on your trip. You have an amazing family, I wish that God will shower more blessing for your family. God bless...:)

Have a safe trip. :)

YEA for ticket info!!! doesn't that feel better to know when you leave? :)

Yes, but me being the planner I almost switched my tickets yesterday to an earlier flight via the airline website. That is why they don't give the info away as of yet!

Matthew this entire trip is a blessing for your family. Even if it isn't the exact trip that you would have planned it will still be packed with fun. Try to relax and enjoy it. You can't overdo it as the kids will be exhausted if you do. I'm certain that this will not be your last trip so start a folder with ideas for next time and don't spend too much money this time. Money is a hard commodity for most most of us these days so cutting back on things that we would like to do is a certainty and cutting back on frequency is something that most are considering. Just remember, it will be perfect even without the potential add ons and you will be much happier not coming home to a huge bill :hug:

The flight times that you got will start you off with well rested kids and will end your trip with kids in bed at a near normal time. That is perfect in its own way. :goodvibes

Matthew this entire trip is a blessing for your family. Even if it isn't the exact trip that you would have planned it will still be packed with fun. Try to relax and enjoy it. You can't overdo it as the kids will be exhausted if you do. I'm certain that this will not be your last trip so start a folder with ideas for next time and don't spend too much money this time. Money is a hard commodity for most most of us these days so cutting back on things that we would like to do is a certainty and cutting back on frequency is something that most are considering. Just remember, it will be perfect even without the potential add ons and you will be much happier not coming home to a huge bill :hug:

The flight times that you got will start you off with well rested kids and will end your trip with kids in bed at a near normal time. That is perfect in its own way. :goodvibes

Thank you for the much needed reminder. This is HER trip and I have planned out many fun activities for her. Now I just need to worry about getting my pins together for trading and have her at the three meals we have planned and the one Boutique appointment and the rest, well we will play by ear. We have a park assigned for each day and enough time to do it all.

Commando out, proud daddy back in the game. :thumbsup2

I would like her to do a journal though on the trip so many years down the road we can look back and remember what it was all about. I think we are awfully lucky to go.

We had a friend denied by Make a Wish the other day, whom in my opinion is much worse then Mya. They stated to them, that it must be a terminal illness. Everything I have been told is that Mya isn't terminal, so I'm not quite sure how we were selected, but am thankful for the opportunity and will try not to knock anyone's block off for telling Mya otherwise. :rolleyes1

Thank you for the much needed reminder. This is HER trip and I have planned out many fun activities for her. Now I just need to worry about getting my pins together for trading and have her at the three meals we have planned and the one Boutique appointment and the rest, well we will play by ear. We have a park assigned for each day and enough time to do it all.

I would like her to do a journal though on the trip so many years down the road we can look back and remember what it was all about. I think we are awfully lucky to go.

We had a friend denied by Make a Wish the other day, whom in my opinion is much worse then Mya. They stated to them, that it must be a terminal illness. Everything I have been told is that Mya isn't terminal, so I'm not quite sure how we were selected, but am thankful for the opportunity and will try not to knock anyone's block off for telling Mya otherwise. :rolleyes1

That is exactly right. Now enjoy yourselves and take a ton of pictures. You need to journal too as we need a detailed trip report. My next trip will be vicariously through you :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

I thought it was but I wasnt sure :) We call it O2

Anyways, I digress.
We are traveling with O2.
Airlines do not allow you to take your own O2 on the plane. You have to hire a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (one that is approved by the airline)
Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POC) work in such a way that they only release O2 on inhale, they dont release O2 on exhale. This is to conserve the battery.

Aiden is only quite young isnt he? Does he use a mask or a nasal cannula? I do not know what POC's are available for masks.

As far as documentation as concerned. You have to have a letter from your Doctor to show the airline approving the use of the POC, you also have to have an acknowledgment form signed by yourself stating that you agree to the rules and regulations set out by the airline.

Here are some links
Oxygen to go

Airline travel with Oxygen

Air travel with Oxygen press release

This is the kind of documentation our airline is going to require of us, just to give an idea
Air Tran Airways Special Needs

If you do feel that you have to travel with O2 you are going to have to contact MAW about it immediately as they will have to arrange it all.

I hope this helps.
Mandy

There is so much confusion around what "terminal" means and how MAW works. The MAW website says that any child with a malignancy and any progressive disease qualifies. That is where Lauren fit in, her CP is so progressive (she has gotten a lot worse over the last few years - even in the 2 years I have known her). But, they also have to be "approved" by their physician. And some doctors won't sign off, either because they don't think the illness is "progressive" enough. MAW told us, "If the doctor says you qualify, you qualify"...period.

Your friend should re-apply at some point in the future and maybe even list a different physician, if appropriate. And if your friends child gets worse, re-apply sooner, rather than later. MAW wants to grant wishes.

I think the journal is such a great idea! You could even let her "write" part of your trip report. I read a neat TR where the parent wrote about the day and then the child came behind and told "their side" of the story...or perspective.

She could dictate to you as you write your TR and that would be so cool to look back on over the years! I should have done that with Lauren...because she saw some things differently than I did! :)

You guys are going to have so much fun!!

Yay !!! I am caught up!!

Your kids are gorgeous!!

I may try your suggestion about the DVC thing. I asked MAW to schedule my flight 2 days later. My grandpa lives very close by and is pretty old. I would not be able to live with myself if we didn't go see him. So I was just planning on a value resort but the week we are there it turns into peak season and prices go way up. Maybe some pts would be cheaper.

Just wanted to say 'Hi' and I'll be reading too!!!!
Great start!!!

Well I thought I would add a few recent photo's from the holidays.

Don't they just love one another:
Christmas2008013.jpg

Big kid on his first motor bike:
Christmas2008021.jpg

Two days after Christmas, Texas weather you have to love:
Christmas2008037.jpg

Aidan's home trach removal:
Christmas2008028.jpg

Not sure if she will ever have enough Build A Bears:
Christmas2008005.jpg

Oh I almost forgot, hearing the coughs in the background Aidan is coming down with drainage and such again. Please think of him if you get a chance.

Mya also was Nominated for the Gifted and Talented Program at her school. We have a form we must complete and then she will have some tests to take, but we were also told it is very political and not to get our hopes up. I'm just excited they recognized her creativity and her desire to learn more. I don't really care if the stuck up decision makers don't like us for one reason or another, her teacher's noticed and we know she's gifted!

Aidan remains in our prayers that the congestion will clear soon and without doctor intervention.

Congrats to Mya! What an honor. I hope she makes it through the political loops.

I will also pray for Aidan!

Very interesting on the GT program! :) Go Mya! You are right...it is cool enough to be selected to test for that.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

So I asked our planners a few questions about Mya's trip and got some answers.

They will not plan her travel to and from the airport this is to be done by us and covered by us.

They have no relationship with the airlines so I need to call the airlines about the extra baggage expense.

Going away party is given by her planners and NOT MAW, so they pay for it I guess. Naomi thinks we should just let this go so they don't worry about the expense. I don't really know what we would do or where we would go here. Any advice?

Expenses, we are still waiting on the amount. I have decided it doesn't matter what we get. We will still plan the character meals we have set and move on from there.

Mya lost another tooth the other night and the the "tooth fairy" brought her $5 Disney Dollars. She say's she want's to buy Mickey Ears with it. She's never gotten ears on any trip and I'm excited she want's them this time.

Gosh...I would make sure you get a ride to and from the airport, then...because parking for that long can be costly.

Maybe you could contact a limo company and see if they would give you a "wish trip" discount?

I can't imagine the wish granters doing a party? That could get expensive. ?? I guess they could show up with cake and ice cream and it not be that expensive? Just do it at your house? I don't know?? :confused3

The amounts from MAW vary greatly. I wish I could give you a clue here. But I do hope it will be enough to cover your meals, etc. We saved a lot by buying snacks at Walmart for the parks and drinking water at meals. We also saved a lot by getting the free water at the counter service places. That helped keep us full when we were around in the parks. And useful for taking meds, etc.

And you get to fill up on YUMMY breakfast at GKTW, too! :)

Contrats on her tooth!!! :) How cool it is that the Tooth Fairy knew to bring Disney dollars! pixiedust:

I almost forgot... Mya got a postcard from a very kind Ferry Grandma. It featured the princess's and she was quite excited.

She also received from a friend who went at Christmas a full autographed photo with all of the princess's, except Mulan, which she was quick to point out.

We are under the 30 day mark now! I still need to order a few blank t-shirts. Any recomendations?

I'm awaiting to see what we get from the Big Give before making anything however. I know whatever I make, will not be half as good as what others here can do, it's also not half as thoughtful.

I found out MAW will issue us a parking permit to park at an off site facility, but I'm going to try and persue a Limo service if possible at little to no cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter