Princess 1/2 walkers?

Hello all. I read the article about the drills, thank you for sharing. I'm going to try and incorporate some of these and see how I do. I definitely don't have the option on adding in jogging at this point as that is how I screwed up my knee last September and ended up NOT being able to do the half last January.

Doc basically said that I would NEVER be able to run...but I don't believe him. I think it's more like I will not be able to run until I get some significant weight off...which I'm working on but that will be a LONG process...

Planning an 18 for Sunday, will see how I do...It is supposed to rain though, really hoping I can get outside to do it, but I don't think walking for 5 - 6 hours in the rain would be my smartest move a month before the marathon, so I may end up doing some of it on the treadmill yuck.

Have a great night!
Brooke

Perfecting your walking technique, in my opinion, will benefit you far more than trying to jog any time soon. I was out today and watched others slow down to a slow and awkward walking stride when they came off their run during their Galloway run/walk plan. If they only took time to really improve their walking, they could be much faster at a lower risk of injury.

Stay true to your plan and the rewards will follow.

Hi Fellow Walkers! Its been quite sometime....I can not believe that the PHM is a mere weeks away! Seems that just yesterday I had just finished it and was swearing that I would "NEVER do that again" - but here I go again...This time I am ALOT less anxious, worried and single focused. I have been enjoying not just my journey but that of my DD15 (on Sunday!) as she works towards her very first medal! I am wondering if there are any fellow walkers coming this year? How are all of you are doing? Can I help you in any way?

Hi Fellow Walkers! Its been quite sometime....I can not believe that the PHM is a mere weeks away! Seems that just yesterday I had just finished it and was swearing that I would "NEVER do that again" - but here I go again...This time I am ALOT less anxious, worried and single focused. I have been enjoying not just my journey but that of my DD15 (on Sunday!) as she works towards her very first medal! I am wondering if there are any fellow walkers coming this year? How are all of you are doing? Can I help you in any way?

D2012-just dropped by to say, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you, your DD and all other wonderful walkers. Best of luck in the PHM to all. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I'm here! And still in training for the PHM. Can't believe it is getting so close!!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.

Brooke, I've been thinking about you!!! How are you doing, these few days before your big race on Sunday? I'll be praying for you!!!!!

Good luck to you all as you get closer to the PHM! Hope you all have a healthy and successful run! Hope to see you all in 2014!

Hi All! Someone forwarded me this thread to read through! I am so happy to see there are more walkers!

My training was going great until October and then derailed until Christmas, when I got back into it. My furthest has been 6.8 miles so far. My plan was for 8 miles yesterday but at the 6.8 mile marker I could walk no more with serious back problem. My husband had to come and get me. I went to the ER and I have a pinched nerve and on a bunch of meds, hoping that goes away. He said by next weekend I should be good to walk again.

My pace is at 15-15:25mm. I hope that is fast enough. The 10k I did my pace was 14:55. I am hopeful. I need to get the distance up there. I have only gotten half way there. I need to at least get in 10 miles. I was hoping for 12. Not much time left for that. But I can try!

I worry about this het they are having. I am in Michigan and been training outside in the cold. With temps in the 80's and humidity at 90%, I am a tad nervous... I am getting to the point I am going to try my best. At least I am trying.

I am extra chunky. I am ok with that right now. I know I am moving more and that is good for me. I will work on eating next. Not that being chunky matters, but it does play a part, for me at least. I think if I had lost weight this whole time of training, I would have a better training experience. :)

Thanks for reading and for posting all of the info already posted!!

Hi Everyone!
I haven't read all the posts in the thread, but the ones I have read are helping to calm my fears for the PHM. I signed up back in July with great hopes, but got sidelined during hurricane Isaac and have really struggled with getting the motivation for training since. I am working at it now, and am hoping adrenaline with help me get through the race.

I am really hoping this thread can help me find someone to meet up with at the race and walk with them. I only know one other person doing the race and she is a runner, which I am by far not. I think having to do the race alone is really freaking my out, and I really want to do it!

Hi Everyone!
I haven't read all the posts in the thread, but the ones I have read are helping to calm my fears for the PHM. I signed up back in July with great hopes, but got sidelined during hurricane Isaac and have really struggled with getting the motivation for training since. I am working at it now, and am hoping adrenaline with help me get through the race.

I am really hoping this thread can help me find someone to meet up with at the race and walk with them. I only know one other person doing the race and she is a runner, which I am by far not. I think having to do the race alone is really freaking my out, and I really want to do it!

I wouldn't mind walking with you! What is your pace? I pretty much just walk. Right now I am dealing with a possible herniated disc, but as of this past Saturday I was at a 15-15:25 mm. Hoping I can continue my training soon, along with physical therapy. So let's keep in touch! I am doing it alone too, my friend is a runner who is going with me. I am doing it to enjoy :)

Hi ladies! My daughter and I are strictly walkers and at your pace. Your welcome to join along with us if you like...the more the merrier!! Where are you ladies from and where will you be staying?

I wouldn't mind walking with you! What is your pace? I pretty much just walk. Right now I am dealing with a possible herniated disc, but as of this past Saturday I was at a 15-15:25 mm. Hoping I can continue my training soon, along with physical therapy. So let's keep in touch! I am doing it alone too, my friend is a runner who is going with me. I am doing it to enjoy :)

Hi PattiPooh,
I hope you're feeling at least a little better today! My pace right now is about 15:30 or so. I'm trying to get it down to at least 15 by the time of the race. My only goal is to finish, I don't really care how long it takes me as long as I don't get picked up. :)

Hi ladies! My daughter and I are strictly walkers and at your pace. Your welcome to join along with us if you like...the more the merrier!! Where are you ladies from and where will you be staying?

Hi Dreamer2012,
I currently live in Louisiana, since that is where the Navy is making us live. LOL My family and I are staying at Boardwalk. What about you guys?

Thank you both for offering to let me join you! I feel much better knowing I will have ladies to enjoy the race with!

Stopping in to say hello! I am a slow runner/walker. My walk pace is very close to my run pace, so I will be doing both this race at around a 15:30 mm.

I'm getting so nervous!

You're going to be fine. I walked the Princess 2 years ago and finished in 3 hours and 31 minutes. I stopped twice for bathroom breaks and once for pic with Minnie. I was so happy that I just finished. I never saw the sweeper and there were a lot of princess still behind me when i crossed the finish line.
You will do great. Have fun!!

Hey everyone, I am back for another Princess Half! I just walked my 6th Disney race this past weekend doing the Donald Half, and had a blast. Looking forward to spending the new month or so cheering each other on as we prep and ready for the Princess. Happy training all!

Another walker here. This will be my 5th Princess half but I get just as nervous as I did before my first one. Because I have gotten older (65) I am trying to do a lot more strength training, core training and stationary bike work. Today I did 8 miles with a lot of hill work at a 16:30 pace. Hopefully, flat Florida will be kinder to my arthritic knees, feet and hips so that I can get that time closer to 15:00. 5 weeks to worry about the sweepers,

I am glad to see there are so many other walkers. This is my first 1/2. I am coming with others but they are runners. I've been training but I am still about 16 min/mile. I am just hoping to keep up with others and prayfully finish.

Queen mimi...I walked with a wonderful woman last year I met along the way...is it you? Is your name Jean?

Nope, my name is Meg. I walked with my daughter who is pregnant this year. But, I did meet a great lady before the race who was walking. we started talking because we were all going for the Coast to Coast medal, having just completed the Tinkerbell in Dl. We ran into her again at the end of the race and had our pictures taken together. That was one of the most emotional times I have had in completing 20 half marathons. But I still get so worried about this race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter