Princess 1/2 walkers?

After two attempts to contact the ChiWalking trainer, I still haven't heard from her. So, I have nothing to report back unfortunately..... :(

Bummer that you haven't made contact. Try again and maybe I can help if need be.

Dreamer - your baby toe is broken in three places! I didn't even know your baby toe would have three places to break - yikes!!! I do hope that heals quickly and doesn't mess up your training too drastically. Maybe you should wear pillows from now until the end of February ::yes:: to keep your feet from further harm????

I have a cool story from this weekend...I had signed up for a 10 mile race this weekend and have done 2 s-l-o-w 10 mile walks to prepare [along with lots of other 8 and 9 mile walks all summer].

The race was yesterday and I was well-prepared...went to bed early with my stuff all packed up, had visited the race site and train-walked a good part of the course beforehand, got up early, left the house early, arrived at the large state park early, and promptly got completely lost getting to the race! I finally arrived at 6:45 [race started at 7] and had to park a half-mile away. Half way to the start, I realized I had forgotten my bib so had to traipse back to my car, then go back to the start line. On the way there, the race started so I had to wait until all of the racers passed me. Being a walker, I am really self-conscious of being the one everyone has to wait for in order to go home. My trial walk a week ago had been so slow that I just knew I would be there all day!

I was mortified about being late but the race officials were so sweet and encouraging. All of that adrenaline and training kicked in, though, and I barreled on through that race, even passing people who had started 10-15 minutes before I did! My energy was good throughout and I finished strong. The official race time had me at a 16:58 mm pace which was a full minute faster per mile than what I had done the week before. My phone told me I was walking in the 15-16 mm range until mile 8.7 when its battery died.

Anyway, that experience, as crazy as it was, taught me that training really does make a difference. All of those hours in that heat this summer really paid off to keep my endurance in miles 8-10. Thank you, John, for reminding us of that, even if I was discouraged at not going faster than I wanted.

That experience also told me that, even if the sweepers are within sight, I do have the stamina and discipline to keep ahead of them, especially with five more months of training ahead of me.

I really think I can do this!

5 months of cooler weather for training will equal much faster times. BELIEVE!! :thumbsup2

Hey Debbieandroo...good job on all your miles! Quite impressive! Like JohnVN said theres still lots of time to train! I think you are right about me needing pillows to protect my feet!! Seems this year has been a tough year for my poor toes! Hopefully it will be ready to get back to work soon! Probably atleast two more weeks :(

Hello walkers!

It's so sad to see our sweet thread off of the front page! I guess we're all too busy training to post.

Thank you, John, for your great tips on your walking thread.

Dreamer, how's that toe?

My big news is that I WALKED MY FIRST HALF MARATHON!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

And I managed a 16:37 mm average pace [my Garmin watch told me 16:24 but who's counting, right? ;)]. And, while I was so tired all day yesterday - took a 3 hour nap and still slept a long time last night, I am not sore at all today except for a little tightness in my calves.

I started off at a steady pace and slowly passed a few people. They managed to pass me again but I passed them again - and these were mostly runners.

The next half marathon [the last race of a 10 race series] will be in two weeks. Here's hoping I can shave a little bit of time off of that first effort.

So relieved that this is behind me. Now I respect but don't fear that distance. Princess Half Marathon - here I come!

Hello walkers!

It's so sad to see our sweet thread off of the front page! I guess we're all too busy training to post.

Thank you, John, for your great tips on your walking thread.

Dreamer, how's that toe?

My big news is that I WALKED MY FIRST HALF MARATHON!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

And I managed a 16:37 mm average pace [my Garmin watch told me 16:24 but who's counting, right? ;)]. And, while I was so tired all day yesterday - took a 3 hour nap and still slept a long time last night, I am not sore at all today except for a little tightness in my calves.

I started off at a steady pace and slowly passed a few people. They managed to pass me again but I passed them again - and these were mostly runners.

The next half marathon [the last race of a 10 race series] will be in two weeks. Here's hoping I can shave a little bit of time off of that first effort.

So relieved that this is behind me. Now I respect but don't fear that distance. Princess Half Marathon - here I come!

All I can say is,

AWESOME

Hi all my PHM WALKERS! Cant believe how fast time is going...Feb will be here before we know it! How is everyone feeling? How is training going? Any newbies out there?

I'm new to the thread. I found this posting while looking for walking information amongst the group. I am not in training for the Princess 2013, but for the ToT 10 Miler in Sept 2013. If I can finish that, I'm hoping to do the Princess 2014.

Just wanted to congratulate you on your success in your race! Very awesome and very motivating!

I'm currently working on diet and mild exercise. I'm planning to start the training plan from Run Disney in the next few weeks; I want to build up some endurance first. I did time my mile the other day - first mile was 18:30, second was 16:50. My goal is to be about 13-14 mins, but I hope to alternate some running if I have to.

This thread has had some great tips, advice, and motivation. I hope that in 2014 I can say I finished my first half marathon! :goodvibes

I'm new to the thread. I found this posting while looking for walking information amongst the group. I am not in training for the Princess 2013, but for the ToT 10 Miler in Sept 2013. If I can finish that, I'm hoping to do the Princess 2014.

Just wanted to congratulate you on your success in your race! Very awesome and very motivating!

I'm currently working on diet and mild exercise. I'm planning to start the training plan from Run Disney in the next few weeks; I want to build up some endurance first. I did time my mile the other day - first mile was 18:30, second was 16:50. My goal is to be about 13-14 mins, but I hope to alternate some running if I have to.

This thread has had some great tips, advice, and motivation. I hope that in 2014 I can say I finished my first half marathon! :goodvibes

Welcome to this thread. :cool1: Being honest to yourself and focused on training, a completed half marathon is within reach in 2014 or even 2013.

Regarding my bolding, I had no desire to add jogging/running to my repertoire when starting my training because knee issues were very prevalent. Unlike vertually everybody, I stayed focused on improving my walking technique to the point where a 10 minute mile pace was achieved. After 2 1/2 years of training/racing by only walking, I am only now able to slowly introduce my knees to the extra pressures caused by jogging and running. The time you spend training as a walker should be used to create a great base, as in the bottom of a pyramid, with the addition of jogging/running done slow enough so no injuries occur.

Enjoy your journey to a half marathon by keeping it safe and fun.

Welcome to this thread. :cool1: Being honest to yourself and focused on training, a completed half marathon is within reach in 2014 or even 2013.

Regarding my bolding, I had no desire to add jogging/running to my repertoire when starting my training because knee issues were very prevalent. Unlike vertually everybody, I stayed focused on improving my walking technique to the point where a 10 minute mile pace was achieved. After 2 1/2 years of training/racing by only walking, I am only now able to slowly introduce my knees to the extra pressures caused by jogging and running. The time you spend training as a walker should be used to create a great base, as in the bottom of a pyramid, with the addition of jogging/running done slow enough so no injuries occur.

Enjoy your journey to a half marathon by keeping it safe and fun.

Thank you for the advice John. I checked out the videos you posted in another thread of Chi Walking and have started to try that on short distances. So far, so good. As of now, I'm getting used to distance and know that time will come. Thank you always being so uplifting and motivating!

Hi everyone...I am struggling and need some help...my toe is completely healed and yet I just can not seem to get myself moving. Its sooo cold outside and dark in the early morning where I live that walking outside at that time is not an option anymore. In order to get to the gym and be back in time for the school bus I have to get up at 4:30 out of the house by 4:45 At the gym for 5 - home by 6 to make lunches and catch the bus - then shower and ready for work...Its just daunting to even think about, let alone do it! I am worried that I will let my DD down because I just can not seem to get going again...she is doing well. She swims daily and could run the entire PHM today if she wanted. What is going on? Have any of you ever gone through this? Any suggestions that might help me get my "get up and go" back again? Ugh......

Hi everyone...I am struggling and need some help...my toe is completely healed and yet I just can not seem to get myself moving. Its sooo cold outside and dark in the early morning where I live that walking outside at that time is not an option anymore. In order to get to the gym and be back in time for the school bus I have to get up at 4:30 out of the house by 4:45 At the gym for 5 - home by 6 to make lunches and catch the bus - then shower and ready for work...Its just daunting to even think about, let alone do it! I am worried that I will let my DD down because I just can not seem to get going again...she is doing well. She swims daily and could run the entire PHM today if she wanted. What is going on? Have any of you ever gone through this? Any suggestions that might help me get my "get up and go" back again? Ugh......

Understanding your commitment to complete the PHM, I am at a loss for giving advice on this matter. I am in awe of all you wonderful women athletes who juggle your incredibly hectic lives in such a manner that you can complete the daily tasks at hand and also train for upcoming events. I find the need to defer this matter to those who are much more qualified than myself. Some pixiedust: sent your way to help you find the solution to your schedule dilemma.

Having faith in yourself and the bond you have with your DD, I'm sure you will prevail. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

John

Hi! :wave2: I'm new to these parts (or this thread I should say...), but understand your struggle very well.

Morning workouts just don't work for me. I'm in the same boat as you: trying to get husband and kids up and out the door, dogs out for potty, then back in to get myself out the door for work. I've been taking the time out during the day here at work (usually eat lunch at my desk and then walk around 2pm when that sleepy feeling kicks in ;)) to walk. I usually get about 2-2.5 miles in here - we have a covered walkway and I just circle. I probably look ridiculous, but that's okay. Then after work, after dinner is done and family is fed, I try hit the treadmill. It's not uncommon for this to happen around 7-7:30pm. I then do another 30 minutes and then wind down. This had been my plan for a few weeks, but the past few weeks I have not been able to do the evening, just the day walking. Things are going to slow down again here soon, so I hope to get back on track again.

I've also been using an app called Striiv on my iPhone. It's a great pedometer app that has a game associated to it - the more you move, the more coins you get, and therefore, the better the game becomes. It's really kept me motivated to keep up my activity. I've also used the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of calories and intake - the Striiv app and the MFP app sync so the activity connects to MFP and tracks automatically.

Know you're not alone. You CAN do this! :cheer2:

All I can say is,

AWESOME

Thank you, John! Truly, I never thought I could ever do such a thing - I still can't believe it!!!

Thank you for saying that. I stumbled upon this thread last winter, just before the 2012 PHM. The inspiration I received here was a HUGE part of my deciding to walk the 2013 PHM.

You're doing well - keep up the good work. At the beginning of the thread, several posted that it does take months to get your leg muscles stretched out enough to see an improvement. I'm finally getting to the point that I am not sore after I walk. I don't know that I'm really getting that much faster but I just noticed yesterday that I only began to get tired after two hours of walking.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to keep plugging away and the results will come in ways you're not expecting - like not being fatigued after walking for a long time. John has been so kind to encourage me not to focus on time as much and I *think* I am finally at that point. I know, now, I can do that half-marathon distance and I will spend the next four months simply building up the strength and endurance that can only help me go faster [even if the 'faster' seems to happen in small increments].

I love the fact that you're looking forward to a farther-away goal, in order to set up walking/exercise as a change for life. You'll enjoy the ToT that much more if you have completely trained for it, instead of risking injury by undertraining.

Looking forward to reading more about your progress!

Aw, Dreamer, that's a bummer! That kind of early early morning schedule would be so discouraging for anyone to tackle. Exercise is supposed to take away stress, not add to it!

What did you do last year, training-wise?

You Northern Princesses have the opposite problem than us down here in the South. We're getting into the best outdoor season while you're getting into your worst outdoor season.

I don't know about advice but I have some ideas....you already know that you can walk the PHM and you have walked a lot of longer distances this summer. Will you have time to keep doing the longer walking in the gym this winter? You could put in a couple of treadmill hours on the weekends and that would keep up your endurance.

Also, instead of driving to the gym in the mornings during the week, perhaps you could do a DVD workout at home? Seems kind of lame, I know, but it would only be a few days per week and you'd have the chance to condition other parts of your body besides your legs. As for ideas on which DVD, I'm not sure. Our public library system has a wide variety to check out - perhaps yours does as well?

There is even a DVD walking workout by Leslie Sansome - here's one available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sanson...6&sr=8-1&keywords=leslie+sansone+walk+at+home

I've never tried it since I'm really blessed to have a shady walking trail almost next door to my house. But, that might be an option for those yucky winter evenings?

I have read some but not all of this awesome thread. I too am a walker. New to walking and new to marathoning.

I have been fitted properly for shoes. I am all about proper sox, Body Glide and gear. Working on hydration and nutrition too. Altohugh...that is a bit tricky as I have had gastric bypass surgery 3.5 years ago and sugar is not in my vocabulary....often times not even natural sugar. And the combo of food and beverage at the same time is a no no for me. Lots to learn and figure out, indeed.

Anyway....I am trying to figure out how to accomplish this 13.1 miles and walk. I am currently doing the C25K three days a week and the recommended long walks from Galloway's program in hopes of increasing my walking time. I am currently starting 3 weeks today. I have seen my times increase. I am happy about this...but of course these times are for just about 2 miles. I have 11 more miles to go to get to the finish.

Is there a better way to train for just walking? Add me to the I fear I will not make it if I don't run a but bunch!!

Thoughts??????

I have read some but not all of this awesome thread. I too am a walker. New to walking and new to marathoning.

I have been fitted properly for shoes. I am all about proper sox, Body Glide and gear. Working on hydration and nutrition too. Altohugh...that is a bit tricky as I have had gastric bypass surgery 3.5 years ago and sugar is not in my vocabulary....often times not even natural sugar. And the combo of food and beverage at the same time is a no no for me. Lots to learn and figure out, indeed.

Anyway....I am trying to figure out how to accomplish this 13.1 miles and walk. I am currently doing the C25K three days a week and the recommended long walks from Galloway's program in hopes of increasing my walking time. I am currently starting 3 weeks today. I have seen my times increase. I am happy about this...but of course these times are for just about 2 miles. I have 11 more miles to go to get to the finish.

Is there a better way to train for just walking? Add me to the I fear I will not make it if I don't run a but bunch!!

Thoughts??????

I applaud your desire to accomplish a half marathon with your plate being so full. :thumbsup2

Before concerning yourself about how fast you can walk, you must build up the miles to strengthen your entire body. Rushing things can result in injuries that could set you back. Schedules such as Galloway's are great but not necessarily for all people. Build miles and have a fun time doing it.

I applaud your desire to accomplish a half marathon with your plate being so full. :thumbsup2

Before concerning yourself about how fast you can walk, you must build up the miles to strengthen your entire body. Rushing things can result in injuries that could set you back. Schedules such as Galloway's are great but not necessarily for all people. Build miles and have a fun time doing it.

I am a pretty seasoned walker in that my job has groomed me well!! I walked anywhere from 5 to 7 miles a day at my job in fast food. It is not the distance that frightens me....just the time limit.

And I do get that there is a huge difference in walking at work...and walking in a race!:flower3:

Hello all. Haven't checked in for a few weeks. I got sick and ended up scaling back my training a bit; I'm training to walk the marathon in January. Wish I could also afford to join all of you in the Princess in February but the budget doesn't allow.

At any rate, I've done two 15 mile walks so far and have a 16 or 17 mile walk planned for this weekend. I'm a bit nervous now that we're closing in on the end about not having a marathon distance training walk in my program. Everything I've read says if you train to 20 miles, the adrenaline of race day will carry you the last 6.2...but seriously, yesterday, the last 2 miles were killing me for some reason....and the thought that I will have another 11 miles on top of that distance is scary. My training plan has 3 20 mile walks in it, I"m thinking about trying to up one (or more) of those to 22 or 23 just to get a bit closer. What do y'all think about that? I'm really worrying about that last 6 miles if I've never gone that far...

Speed continues to be a concern. I was making nice strides in pace until I got sick...now my long walks are back up in the 18 minute/mile range...and I've not been getting enough miles in during the week. Feeling like this week I'll be able to get back on track, but I'm worried I'm "behind" know what I mean?

I did meet with a ChiWalking instructor once and plan to meet with her again in a couple of weeks--trying to strengthen my core some more before I see her again. I got one of those audible metronome things from the chiwalking site and oh my goodness, that helped me a lot. I did a 5 mile walk last week using the metronome and was able to do two miles under 16 minutes which was really fast for me. Will keep using it on my shorter walks during the week, hopefully that willl help with the long walk pace..but I feel like I'm running out of time to see improvement and I'm scared.

On the upside, my "morning after" recovery seems to be getting better. I'm usually walking pretty funny the night of a long walk...but most weeks now, I'm fine the next morning. I keep having some tenderness with my left achilles tendon, not sure why...from what I've read, it's probably tied to calf tightness (which makes sense as I've had issues with lower leg tightness since I started walking) and I'm trying to roll it out but zowee! That hurts!

Another kinda silly question: Now that we're well into fall, the bathrooms in the forest preserve are all locked for the season. I usually do an out and back walk to sort of force me to "go the distance"...for example, yesterday I went out 7.5 miles and then back 7.5...but I'm stressing out a lot about there being no open bathrooms around. The reality was, I really didn't need one...but it's like a big mental block in my head and I'm worrying already about this week's walk. What are you all doing on your longer training walks? Laps closer to home? I don't like to walk in busy congested areas, but logically maybe that makes sense to do now?

Finally, I suspect my struggle yesterday with the last couple miles was food related...I had a bagel with peanut butter and a banana before I started and I drank a lot of water throughout...I did a lifesaver every mile or so...but I didn't have any other food...I had planned to do a another bagel and a banana at mile 10 but ended up routing myself where I wouldn't be back to the car until the end. (I was afraid I'd stop). So I guess I should carry my food with me...just wondering what you all do as you are doing longer training walks??

Sorry this is long winded! I hope everyone's training is going well. Did any of you do the Tower of Terror or the Wine and Dine race? If so how did it go?

Have a great night!
Brooke

Bewitch324-quite honestly, for myself, the adrenaline is huge at the start but after so many miles it just fades away like a setting sun. It is then the physical training and powerful mindset created by all that training that takes over as you get closer to the finish line. I like getting in a distance of over 20 miles, say 22/23, just for the extra wear and tear on my feet. The base you built up doing the longer distances can take you to the 26.2 but the extra time on your feet is new to your feet/legs and getting in that 22/23 miler, if you can, is just for your own mental satisfaction.

Make doubly sure that you hydrate and eat for those greater miles. You don't want to go into a fuel shortage zone as the end is approaching. By being fueled up you can always slow down towards the end but being out of fuel will cause a slow down and the BONK where the body just starts to shut down.

There is still time to include some shorter and then longer speed workouts just to get your legs used to faster turn-over and to get the heart beating faster. The metronome can get those legs moving faster with a good constant rhythm. Starting at the front of your corral will also give you some extra time.

I loop close to my house for the "just in case" scenario. I don't mind the repetition because it also makes it easier to compare same distance moving paces/heart rates.

Still time left so train effectively and have fun.

Hello everyone! Nice to check in and read how well everyone is doing! Makes me happy to see some newbies join in too! Things should ease up here time wise now that I have lost my 2nd part-time job. Bad for the budget, but hopefully good for giving me some much needed time in the afternoon to get back to training...have to look for the silver lining!I am planning on hitting the gym instead of the cold outdoors starting Monday. That will be the start of the new schedule week. I have been putting out some resumes, but until then I plan to use the time I have been given to get back on the PHM track! I am also counting on reading all the motivating things all of you are doing to get me back in the swing! Thanks for all the suggestions. Hey Princess124 - do you know if those phone apps are for android too? I do not have an IPhone - I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 - that sounds like it would be very motivating for me too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter