Princess 1/2 walkers?

and she did it with only 9 toenails!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

This made me laugh out loud!!! Thanks to everyone who celebrated my little victory! My DD14 and I are heading out in the morning for a our long walk day. We have been doing 6 miles (all the way to our favorite breakfast restaurant!) but tomorrow we are going to increase to 8 miles...I was hoping that we would add only 1 mile but there were no restaurants in that range!! :rotfl: So we have to go for the 8...WISH US LUCK:cheer2:

This made me laugh out loud!!! Thanks to everyone who celebrated my little victory! My DD14 and I are heading out in the morning for a our long walk day. We have been doing 6 miles (all the way to our favorite breakfast restaurant!) but tomorrow we are going to increase to 8 miles...I was hoping that we would add only 1 mile but there were no restaurants in that range!! :rotfl: So we have to go for the 8...WISH US LUCK:cheer2:

6 to 8, that's great. :cool1:

Be careful and safe.

Hey everyone. Thanks for posting the video links last night John. I tried to apply some of it this morning during my 11 mile walk, and I think it helped. As you pointed out, good form is something you have to keep reminding yourself to do...it's hard to do and keep doing!

Overall, I feel pretty good about the walk. I was slow, overall was 18 min/mile, but I was more worried about focusing on getting the distance in than worrying about speed. Most of my miles were in the 17.5 min/mile range with a couple longer ones due to bathroom breaks and having to stop and get rocks out of my shoes from the prairie path portion of the walk. Had great weather, sun was shining but there was a nice breeze. Felt really pretty strong the whole way through. My feet are not super happy with me tonight and my legs definitely feel worked, but I still feel really good.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Brooke

We were approx 3 miles into our 7.5 (though it was going to 8) mile walk to breakfast this morning when we came upon and must have startled a young black bear!:scared1::scared1::scared1: We stopped dead in our tracks as he was approx 20/25 feet ahead of us - we knew that although we were getting faster neither of us could out run the bear! He stopped and looked at us....for what seemed like mins. but in reality was just a few secs.- then he turned away and playfully scampered off. he was big but seemed to move more like a young bear than older one, which made us concerned that the Mama may have been near by. We never saw a Mama though. I did manage to take a quick pic as it was leaving but I do not know how to add a photo here - sorry. It was VERY SCARY to be that close. By the way we were NOT in the woods, but on a well known road with homes on it and widely traveled between towns....The good news (beside the fact that we were not bear breakfast...) is that we did make it to our destination...we walked 7.55 miles in 2hrs 2 min and 37 secs - making our avg pace 16:15 - 15 secs off the needed pace for PHM but we were super happy with it!:banana::banana:

Hey everyone. Thanks for posting the video links last night John. I tried to apply some of it this morning during my 11 mile walk, and I think it helped. As you pointed out, good form is something you have to keep reminding yourself to do...it's hard to do and keep doing!

Overall, I feel pretty good about the walk. I was slow, overall was 18 min/mile, but I was more worried about focusing on getting the distance in than worrying about speed. Most of my miles were in the 17.5 min/mile range with a couple longer ones due to bathroom breaks and having to stop and get rocks out of my shoes from the prairie path portion of the walk. Had great weather, sun was shining but there was a nice breeze. Felt really pretty strong the whole way through. My feet are not super happy with me tonight and my legs definitely feel worked, but I still feel really good.

Brooke

Glad to read, I feel pretty good about the walk. :thumbsup2

Until form is second nature, all the thinking can detract from speed. I never really had as much of a problem as others because my 60+ year old brain is so empty it is easy for me to concentrate on task at hand. ;)

Stay on tract and it will get easier.

2012-Holy Cow!!!!!!! and great job. :thumbsup2

Brooke

Great job on the 11 miles! I am still so impressed that you'll be walking an entire marathon. :worship: Someday, maybe for me - gotta conquer the half, first.

I've been trying the chi-walking form, too - sneaking a few steps here at work. They really are going to send me into the loony bin if I keep this up! I have the book [checked it out from the library again] and I'll try a couple of drills this weekend. This morning, I did notice that I don't do a heel plant and that I land more on the ball of my foot. That's kinda close, right?

We were approx 3 miles into our 7.5 (though it was going to 8) mile walk to breakfast this morning when we came upon and must have startled a young black bear!:scared1::scared1::scared1: We stopped dead in our tracks as he was approx 20/25 feet ahead of us - we knew that although we were getting faster neither of us could out run the bear! He stopped and looked at us....for what seemed like mins. but in reality was just a few secs.- then he turned away and playfully scampered off. he was big but seemed to move more like a young bear than older one, which made us concerned that the Mama may have been near by. We never saw a Mama though. I did manage to take a quick pic as it was leaving but I do not know how to add a photo here - sorry. It was VERY SCARY to be that close. By the way we were NOT in the woods, but on a well known road with homes on it and widely traveled between towns....The good news (beside the fact that we were not bear breakfast...) is that we did make it to our destination...we walked 7.55 miles in 2hrs 2 min and 37 secs - making our avg pace 16:15 - 15 secs off the needed pace for PHM but we were super happy with it!:banana::banana:

:faint: You have the craziest adventures, Dreamer! No way that I would have been composed enough to think of taking a picture. So glad you and your DD are okay.

Question about the breakfast walking [great idea by the way] - do you walk back home afterwards?

I did walk my first 10K on Sunday. Afterwards, I was so excited that my endomondo app told me I had kept a 15:59 pace. Unfortunately, the official race time has me at 16:48 mm - phooey! To be honest I do think my time was faster because I started way in the back and this time would have had me start at the very front. That's my story, at least, and I'm sticking with it! :)

Hope everyone is doing well and the weather is becoming kinder. Our weather has been beautiful here - finally!

Ball of foot is way better than heel. Make sure you are not POUNDING too hard as you land. A soft foot plant has much less of a chance of causing an injury.

Something interesting when I am walking fast in a race is when I have a runner behind me trying to pace off of me making enough noise that it drowns out my really bad tinnitus. :rotfl2:

I'm happy you are reading C-W and trying it out. It took me some time to finally have the mechanics kick in but when it did my body felt weirdly freed up or smooth. Like driving over cobblestone road then on new pavement.

Ok friends...I think I need a little pep talk tonight...since my DD had morning swim team practice today we didnt do our usual "walk to bfast". Then we made family plans to celebrate a birthday at a restaurant. I googled the distance and its 9.5 miles away. Last weekend we did 7.5 @ 16:13 and we both said we felt like we could have kept going...but now I'm worried...think adding two miles is too much? Is it too soon in our training to do such a long distance? Am I just over thinking this...YIKES!! HELP!

Ok friends...I think I need a little pep talk tonight...since my DD had morning swim team practice today we didnt do our usual "walk to bfast". Then we made family plans to celebrate a birthday at a restaurant. I googled the distance and its 9.5 miles away. Last weekend we did 7.5 @ 16:13 and we both said we felt like we could have kept going...but now I'm worried...think adding two miles is too much? Is it too soon in our training to do such a long distance? Am I just over thinking this...YIKES!! HELP!

I see no problem as long as you two don't go out trying to set a super pace. Enjoy the walk not work the walk. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the do not exceed the 10% added distance mantra, it is meant for running and all the pounding that goes with it.

If at any time either of you feel a funny twinge, take note of it immediately and take action to mitigate it by slowing down or modifying your stride. Good luck and let us know how things went.

Thanks Johnvn I can always count on you! We are going to give a good try...we definitely will NOT be going for speed - but like you said just trying to enjoy the walk and make the distance. The weather here is PERFECT! The sun is shining although much of our walk will be in the shade...and it is a nice 70/75 degrees. I do not think we could have ordered better! I will let you know the results tonight...hope we do not encounter anything more wild than a turkey or two! :wave2:

Dreamer2012 said:
Thanks Johnvn I can always count on you! We are going to give a good try...we definitely will NOT be going for speed - but like you said just trying to enjoy the walk and make the distance. The weather here is PERFECT! The sun is shining although much of our walk will be in the shade...and it is a nice 70/75 degrees. I do not think we could have ordered better! I will let you know the results tonight...hope we do not encounter anything more wild than a turkey or two!

Dreamer, I hope you and your DD had a great walk. AND an uneventful one, at that.

I changed up my course a bit to include more hills and pavement and managed to walk 9.99 miles today. Probably should have walked next door and back to get to 10, but I was pretty well spent by that time. My pace averaged 17:34, which was better than my last long walk.

The best part for me is that I can still move. Don't get me wrong, I am still tired but, tonight at church, I had to make several trips up and down stairs, make a fast trip to the grocery store, and stand up quite a bit. And I could do all of that without hobbling.

During this walk, I focused mainly on keeping my stride short. Last week, at the end of a 10k, I was taking long strides and over extended my hip. I was really hobbling then! The shorter strides are making a difference for me, perhaps not in my pace just yet, but definitely in my recovery time.

Dreamer, I hope you and your DD had a great walk. AND an uneventful one, at that.

I changed up my course a bit to include more hills and pavement and managed to walk 9.99 miles today. Probably should have walked next door and back to get to 10, but I was pretty well spent by that time. My pace averaged 17:34, which was better than my last long walk.

The best part for me is that I can still move. Don't get me wrong, I am still tired but, tonight at church, I had to make several trips up and down stairs, make a fast trip to the grocery store, and stand up quite a bit. And I could do all of that without hobbling.

During this walk, I focused mainly on keeping my stride short. Last week, at the end of a 10k, I was taking long strides and over extended my hip. I was really hobbling then! The shorter strides are making a difference for me, perhaps not in my pace just yet, but definitely in my recovery time.

Congratulations on the distance.

It takes time to adjust to a shorter stride and then comes the faster turn-over which requires even more time and effort but the rewards can be greater than running. Fast walking burns more calories and is a better workout than running.

But JohnVn no matter how fast I walk it seems I will never cover the same distance in the same time as the runners do...true or false?

Totally subscribing to this thread. I've read through a couple of pages thus far and afterwork will go back and read more but this thread gives me hope! This will be my first 1/2 Marathon. I'm doing it with a good friend. I've never run in a competitive state before so i figured after doing some research and seeing that you can walk that I would aim for that. I want to at LEAST finish in the time given so I've also like many of you adopted the Galloway training and tweaked it to fit what my body can handle right now. I'm overweight so since I LOVE Disney and I want to make a change, I set this as my goal!

So Good Luck everyone and thanks for giving me some hope and insperation! :thumbsup2

I haven't registered yet, but here's my story. My daughter and I want to participate in the PHM. This is her senior year, and we both thought it would be fun to do together before she leave for college. I, along with many of you, have the additional motivation of getting back in shape and living a healthier lifestyle. I'm 47 and 15-20 pounds overweight. I have also had 3 surgeries on my right knee, two of them to replace my ACL. In the last surgery 5 years ago, they removed 1/3 of my quad tendon to rebuild my ACL, and I only had 20% of the cartilage left. So, I think I will have to walk most, if not all, of the PHM.

My husband and some of my friends think there is no way I can finish the PHM. I agree that I could not finish it TODAY. But with hard work and dedication, I think I can do it. There are so many reasons to TRY.

But JohnVn no matter how fast I walk it seems I will never cover the same distance in the same time as the runners do...true or false?

D2012-First off, I am very happy that you and all the other women athletes on this thread are trying so hard to improve your times. I would rather watch a person walk as fast as they can and complete their goal without injury rather than try to jog or run in an attempt to go faster and wind up with an injury.

You might max out in your ability to walk fast and then have to proceed to jogging or running to go faster. If that be true, be careful. Walking fast is hard and that is why so many people just start jogging or running.

Totally subscribing to this thread. I've read through a couple of pages thus far and afterwork will go back and read more but this thread gives me hope! This will be my first 1/2 Marathon. I'm doing it with a good friend. I've never run in a competitive state before so i figured after doing some research and seeing that you can walk that I would aim for that. I want to at LEAST finish in the time given so I've also like many of you adopted the Galloway training and tweaked it to fit what my body can handle right now. I'm overweight so since I LOVE Disney and I want to make a change, I set this as my goal!

So Good Luck everyone and thanks for giving me some hope and insperation! :thumbsup2

Welcome to Dreamer2012's thread and good luck.

I haven't registered yet, but here's my story. My daughter and I want to participate in the PHM. This is her senior year, and we both thought it would be fun to do together before she leave for college. I, along with many of you, have the additional motivation of getting back in shape and living a healthier lifestyle. I'm 47 and 15-20 pounds overweight. I have also had 3 surgeries on my right knee, two of them to replace my ACL. In the last surgery 5 years ago, they removed 1/3 of my quad tendon to rebuild my ACL, and I only had 20% of the cartilage left. So, I think I will have to walk most, if not all, of the PHM.

My husband and some of my friends think there is no way I can finish the PHM. I agree that I could not finish it TODAY. But with hard work and dedication, I think I can do it. There are so many reasons to TRY.

Registering is the key that unlocks the door for many people because they then have some $$$$ on the line. I think the in your face attitude is even more productive because it is a purely emotional motivator and the rewards for completion are that much sweeter.

Welcome! I have learned so much from the information in this thread - it's what cemented my resolve to walk instead of run the PHM. Have fun with training.

Welcome to you, too. Dreamer started this thread a little over a year ago and was able to finish the PHM, with time to spare. She's been a great inspiration.

That's tough about your knee. What walking will do, I think, will strengthen that joint so, even if you didn't finish, you'll be that much stronger for having started. You go, girl!

Congratulations on the distance.

It takes time to adjust to a shorter stride and then comes the faster turn-over which requires even more time and effort but the rewards can be greater than running. Fast walking burns more calories and is a better workout than running.

I really have enjoyed that aspect of walking as a workout. I may not go full throttle but I do feel spent at the end of a walk - and that makes for a nice sense of accomplishment.

This morning, I worked on the leaning forward - neck extended and core engaged. I found some more videos demonstrating that technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8VXrv2KVeE&feature=relmfu

I felt like a little machine from the waist up. My feet still don't know what to do but that'll be for another day.

I really have enjoyed that aspect of walking as a workout. I may not go full throttle but I do feel spent at the end of a walk - and that makes for a nice sense of accomplishment.

This morning, I worked on the leaning forward - neck extended and core engaged. I found some more videos demonstrating that technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8VXrv2KVeE&feature=relmfu

I felt like a little machine from the waist up. My feet still don't know what to do but that'll be for another day.

I remember this video from long ago. There are many that I have forgotten, so GREAT for you in searching for more info.

What happens some times as I begin to walk is that I still get out of alignment, yes-bad me for being lazy, but when I wake up from my cosmic drift and get into shape the feeling is undeniably relaxing and smooth.

I was a non-believer for a time but when things CLICKED it was like when I finally got my first pair of glasses. So that is what I've been missing. ::yes::

I remember this video from long ago. There are many that I have forgotten, so GREAT for you in searching for more info.

What happens some times as I begin to walk is that I still get out of alignment, yes-bad me for being lazy, but when I wake up from my cosmic drift and get into shape the feeling is undeniably relaxing and smooth.

I was a non-believer for a time but when things CLICKED it was like when I finally got my first pair of glasses. So that is what I've been missing. ::yes::

Thank you again for pointing us in this direction. I was reading more in the ChiWalking book about practicing posture so I've been doing that for the past few days. Oddly enough, I've also had some twinges in my back for the past few weeks - asked a PT friend about it and she told me that good posture will go a long way in making those twinges go away. Mom was right when she told me to stand up straight!

Yet another question, have you ever trained with a metronome? Danny Dreyer had a video on how to use it and his site sells a portable one. I'm tempted to try it because I'm always walking by myself and have no way of keeping myself at pace. I also get sidetracked easily [not by black bears, thankfully though!] and wondered if this would be a good way to keep my attention.

Thanks again! I am really thinking that this is the training direction I would like go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter