Princess 1/2 2013...anyone else???

First of all Congrats on all of your accomplishments - I hope doing it with my daughter will be incentive enough to get me through it...we are beginning to "train" - and will be doing the "color-me-rad" race near us at the end of this month. Have any of you heard of or done this race?

First of all Congrats on all of your accomplishments - I hope doing it with my daughter will be incentive enough to get me through it...we are beginning to "train" - and will be doing the "color-me-rad" race near us at the end of this month. Have any of you heard of or done this race?

I wanted to do something like that! It was unfortunately the same day as a concert I was going to.... Too bad!

Thanks! I haven't done the color run but it looks like a lot of fun. Along the way they throw colored corn starch (?) at you. My neighbor is planning to do it in NYC.

I would love to join your group! I did a triathlon last year and am training for another one this septemer.:yay: But oddly running has always scared me. Doing the princess half would be great because I would get a vacation at the same time.

I would love to join your group! I did a triathlon last year and am training for another one this septemer.:yay: But oddly running has always scared me. Doing the princess half would be great because I would get a vacation at the same time.

Welcome !!!! You will find lots of support here.

RunDisney races and vacations are a great combo. Sometimes running the 13.1 miles is the easiest part of the vacation.:rotfl2:

ColleenG - Yes thats the one - I will report back after we do ours here in Hartford, Ct. on the 26th of this month.

Tinkerbye - Welcome! This is agreat place to learn from verterans and to get lots of info - any question you have just ask SOMEONE will know the answer!

I would like to know where you think the most reasonable accomadations are for the race. We stayed off property this year and had no problems at all, so I would not hesitate to do so again. Tell me where you stayed and the good, bad and cost please....the most important thing is that there be a hot tub! Other than that we are open...Thanks!

We stayed at Saratoga Springs last year, we are DVC members. I think most of the DVC villas have jacuzzis in them and I know Saratoga has a hot tub by the main pool and the new pool over by the Padock. Renting DVC points can be reasonable. Check out the rent/trade board on the DVC section of the Dis.

ColleenG - Yes thats the one - I will report back after we do ours here in Hartford, Ct. on the 26th of this month.

Tinkerbye - Welcome! This is agreat place to learn from verterans and to get lots of info - any question you have just ask SOMEONE will know the answer!

I would like to know where you think the most reasonable accomadations are for the race. We stayed off property this year and had no problems at all, so I would not hesitate to do so again. Tell me where you stayed and the good, bad and cost please....the most important thing is that there be a hot tub! Other than that we are open...Thanks!

Just wondering about the drive the morning of the race. How early did you get there? We will be staying on property close to Epcot but we are thinking of still driving to the race start. With my DH and our son + stroller (my CHear Squad) driving sounds easier than a bus.

I haven't raced yet, but I know for a fact that SSR, POR and POFQ all have hot tubs! I think that Mods and Above all have hot tubs, but none at Values. I love the hot tub at SSR! The one at POR is at the main pool on Ol Man Island.

IMO, I would suggest staying on-site, for the transportation factor alone - hop on a bus and it will take you to the staging area, then when the race is over it will take you home, and to that hot tub!

I'm definitely doing this one again! I just started running 5/11, and when I started I couldn't jog more than a minute without having to slow to walk. I've completed 2 5Ks (one was the Castaway Cay 5K on Disney's island!) and the Princess half this year. I ran them all! Training for the Tower of Terror 10 miler first, then a holiday break, then back to training for the Princess half 2013! :cool1:

I'm in! I'm new to running but I really want to do this. I have a huge bucket list of things to accomplish and this is on it. I'm trying to talk a friend into coming down with me. I'd love to have a girls weekend on top of the Princess!

Good Morning

It's been a awhile since I have been able to read this thread, work continues to get in the way ;)

Update on my progress and my best friend (partner in crime also named Jennifer) we are training for a 5k in June, can't wait. But we have run into a snag. With the training that we have been doing it has agrivated 2 past injuries of her's so it looks like we will be doing a fast walk for the 5K. 2nd snag has been me, darn shins! We have had to cut back on trainig for the last 2 weeks so she can heal and I can get another new pair of shoes and also give my shins a break. So for those of you on this thread, what do you do for problems with you shins?

On a positive note, we have our hotel reservation already for the Princess in February (Boardwalk). Ok have to get back to work.

Good Morning

It's been a awhile since I have been able to read this thread, work continues to get in the way ;)

Update on my progress and my best friend (partner in crime also named Jennifer) we are training for a 5k in June, can't wait. But we have run into a snag. With the training that we have been doing it has agrivated 2 past injuries of her's so it looks like we will be doing a fast walk for the 5K. 2nd snag has been me, darn shins! We have had to cut back on trainig for the last 2 weeks so she can heal and I can get another new pair of shoes and also give my shins a break. So for those of you on this thread, what do you do for problems with you shins?

On a positive note, we have our hotel reservation already for the Princess in February (Boardwalk). Ok have to get back to work.

Sorry to hear about your and your friend's injuries. I have had really bad shin splints too. The best thing to do is stretch, ice massage, and foam roll. Freeze a paper cup of water and rub it along your shin after running and stretching. Ice until it is red and numb. If you search YouTube there are a lot of videos for foam rolling, it basically acts as a deep tissue massage. Works wonders! Good luck.

I too have run into injuries. It just breaks my heart that I have to stop for a bit. Does anyone know what the room rates will be during the race (peak or regular rates)?

I haven't been posting for a while as I have run into injuries as well.
I was diagnosed with two stress fractures in my shin 5 weeks ago. I just saw my dr yesterday and they are healing, so I am off the crutches and in a walking boot now for a month. But he is hopeful I will still make this race.

Two things he really stressed to me are cross training and I have been rehabing by doing deep water running and the 10% rule which is do not increase your mileage or your time by more than 10% a week.

Tiszbear- I had shin splints once and they had me do four exercises after I ran each time in addition to icing and resting:
Do calf raises and lowers on a step so you can go lower than the step for a great stretch
Walk around a room on your toes and then on your heels
Sit on a chair and raise your toes as fast as you can for 60 seconds
Use a band around your foot and point your toes, then have someone hold the band away from you around your foot and flex your foot.
HTH and take care of those shins

Dreamer 2012- We are hoping to do the color run in DC in september as a family

Amykay- congrats on your first 5K, may it lead to many more.

Stay well everyone and I will be back in a few more weeks.
Heather

I didn't realize we had two princess half threads going. I am a relatively new runner - started at the beginning of 2012 and am in for the princess half this year!

Amykay- congrats on your first 5K, may it lead to many more.
Heather

Thanks! I did my second on 5/19 in 50 minutes. Not bad, considering my DD14 was doing it with me and I wanted to stay with her so she wasn't last!

Can someone post the link that shows the 1/2 route? I wanted to see the path of the course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter