Prices just hit my threshold :-(

And if I recall these are both also posters who said "Don't go, someone else will take your place." Arguing that the price increase WON'T affect attendance. So I'm not sure what they really think since it can't be both ways.
All these extremes and calling each other wrong. Yes, it is both ways, only more moderate than you are depicting.

"Don't go, someone else will take your place"... this is true, in moderation. This is not saying Disney would sooner have all AP holders not go.

"The lowest payers / highest riders don't matter and Disney would sooner not have those guests"... this is true, to an extent. Not *all*. Nudging the price up will, little by little have an effect of turning lower paying guests into a little higher paying guests, or guests that wont pay a little higher have to not go. This is not the same as saying Disney wants to close their parks to only Deluxe / Mods!

These effects are governed by price elasticity. Disney knows that for $750, guests are willing to go. For $850, most will still go. For $2000, they might not. Some guests will decide not to go, or go less. These are the lowest in the pecking order of value to Disney as a paying guest. They're okay with losing these few guests because they will make up that loss plus some, on ALL other guests. Not just the top 10%. They raised the MYW prices last Feb!

No Disney is not marketing only to the top guests, nor would they sooner be done with Pop and the AS Resorts. These are all a very important part of the mix. All these guests matter, but by Disney raising the prices, they are milking a little bit more out of those AP guests who go the most often and ride more things in a year while paying less than an out of state onsite vacationing guest.

These are all SUBTLE effects. It's not like the park is going to be empty, yet this will have some effect on attendance, along with many other things that will have effects on attendance. Although this is a negative effect, we will not see lower attendance because other positive effects are greater.

I think taking everything to extremes is just a symptom of the internet. People love to look at a subtle effect and say it's a drastic effect if it makes their point either way. What? Attendance will be LOWER because of the hike pricing out unwanted guests, but attendance will be HIGHER because of the economy? How can it be both ways? It isn't like that. Both of these effects exist, and they will offset each other. It's like saying... if you have a number, say, 3... can you both add 5 to it and subtract 2? How is that possible? Of course you can do this.

Should Disney raise the AP price? Yes of course.
Will this offend some people? Of course it will.
Will most people still go? Yes they will.
Will some people be priced out based on not being able to afford the extra $100? Yes, but relatively few.
Will some people choose not to go or go less based on a perceived lower value? Sure.
Will this curb crowds by those who will not go? Yes... But it will be more than offset by higher crowds in general.
Will this turn previously the lowest paying guest who paid $750/year now into guests who must pay $850/year? Yes.
If the hike bothers you should you speak with your wallet? Of course. Unless... you still want to go.
Disney knows for the most part guests will still want to go. They have what people want -- so they set the price.

All of these effects are taking place. I am sure Disney has a marketing team that has studied them thoroughly, and they know what % will be offended, what % will still go, etc. This is all just business. Everyone will make their choices, tho Disney already knows what those choices will be en masse, in their projections.

Last edited:
I don't get the "someone will take your place" comments. As a wise DISer recently said, if these people were planning to go they'd already be there. Are they just waiting patiently until certain people quit going so they can take their place?

I will continue to comment on how I see things even with the "eager to tell you are wrong" comments. It's true for ME that the experience is less while the cost is more. I'm one of those who has been going for more than 5 years and I remember what once existed.

For the last 3 years we have done all the cost cutting we could do. We cut back on the amount of days, we went from Deluxe to moderate, when moderate was too high we rented points, when that was too high we stayed offsite. We went from park hoppers to regular passes, factor in the cost of meals at Disney which have steadily gone up and the increase in pass prices, while trying to do FP+ and worrying about missing ADR's and getting hit with penalty, these are all related to reaching our threshold. Disney vacations used to be fun but not anymore, it has turned into too much work to try to have fun. It will be Universal or cruises for us from now on. When I tell people how much onsite rooms cost and how much passes are they are floored. Disney may well be the vacation for the rich in the future, or once in a lifetime for others.

Same here. We used to do a week in a Deluxe (2000-2010) and did some extra things around the World. By 2012 we had to choose a Moderate for the first time and only for five nights and since we had less time we didn't have time for extras, just park hopping. We spent just as much if not more than we had on previous trips. Then, my last trip, in 2013, my DD and I stayed in an AS resort and got Base Tickets for the first time. We don't have another trip planned, though we were thinking of a few days after a conference next June....but it may be US/IOA again (which is where our money has gone in 2014/2015). The cost of the resorts is high, the tickets are high, the food gets more expensive and we have to resort to almost all QS, and even transportation has gone up for us. It's just so much more expensive than 10 years ago...I can't get over it.

What I really find funny is the US/IOA posters coming over telling you can now go to US/IOA. Okay, I've been there, what do you do after 3 days? You can only drink so many $8-8oz Margaritas. Ride Cat in the Hat and check for paint missing? :confused3
We haven't been to US since IOA opened but I would say 3 to 4 is where they currently are. That said I'm always amazed at the 6+ day Disney trips as well. In the old days 2012 and back we could rarely find anything to do over 5 days. You used to be able to easily do everything in the parks in a day and we would often repeat things while doing it. Now with being rationed out and SB getting longer it's attempting to create an artificial need for more time but it doesn't change the overall number of things to do.

What I really find funny is the US/IOA posters coming over telling you can now go to US/IOA. Okay, I've been there, what do you do after 3 days? You can only drink so many $8-8oz Margaritas. Ride Cat in the Hat and check for paint missing? :confused3
There's lots to do in FL outside of Disney and Universal. The Trip podcast that the DisUnplugged started this year has been showcasing some options that are actually quite enticing to me - a total Disneyphile who never wants to spend time out of the parks. We only get 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets when we go to WDW, so those other options are a great way to round out a week of vacation.

Aw heck.....I'm heading to US/IoA for two days in the middle of my Jan WDW trip. I can't spend more than 2 days there, so it's a nice break. With a Power Pass so I get a nice discount on my room!
I have to admit, there have been some trips that were longer than a week, at WDW, where I was hard pressed to find something I wanted to do. I found myself telling myself that I just couldn't bear to do SE one more time!!! After 6 days, I tend to start feeling like its the same old, same old.
Do I love Disney? Yes. Do I think there is room for a lot of improvement? Yes. Will I continue going to WDW? Yes. BUT.....not as often, and not for extended stays. I'm already starting to eat at WDW restaurants less frequently. I seldom buy much merchandise.....there just isn't much that I want. Quality has gone downhill, price has gone up.
I've made some incredible friends because of Disney....more specifically, these boards we don't all agree, and that's ok. My friends and I only ask to be able to have our opinions without worrying about being taken to task. That's worked pretty well thru the years.

We haven't been to US since IOA opened but I would say 3 to 4 is where they currently are. That said I'm always amazed at the 6+ day Disney trips as well. In the old days 2012 and back we could rarely find anything to do over 5 days. You used to be able to easily do everything in the parks in a day and we would often repeat things while doing it. Now with being rationed out and SB getting longer it's attempting to create an artificial need for more time but it doesn't change the overall number of things to do.
Depends - you ever go to Hawaii for a week? I have been to Hawaii for 2 weeks, as I have been to WDW for 2 weeks. Never bored at either. Always able to find plenty of things to do.

To each their own.

A lot of people feel the same at Disney - once you're done you're done. Others find US/IOA just as enjoyable - to each their own.

"Don't go, someone else will take your place"... this is true, in moderation.

I'm not aware of a waiting list to get in to Disney... except on Xmas/New Years/Easter maybe when they close MK briefly to guests due to fire codes but then I have never gone there during those times.

What I don't understand.....and maybe this thread isn't the place.....but the topics have shifted so much I'll throw it out. What I don't understand is the commentary here that at US there is so much less to do. I have never been there, but I have been to Disney, and really, HS and Epcot, IMO, don't have a ton to do. Is either of the US parks less than those?

Last edited:
I don't get the "someone will take your place" comments. As a wise DISer recently said, if these people were planning to go they'd already be there. Are they just waiting patiently until certain people quit going so they can take their place?

I will continue to comment on how I see things even with the "eager to tell you are wrong" comments. It's true for ME that the experience is less while the cost is more. I'm one of those who has been going for more than 5 years and I remember what once existed.

I think the point that's being made is that there are always people who are waiting or preparing to take their first Disney vacation. They aren't waiting for anyone to stop going to make room for them, but they may be waiting until their kids reach a certain age or until they are able to save enough money for the kind of trip they want to take. Some of those people will go once and never visit again, others will start taking regular trips, and some will become the type of frequent visitors who are heavily represented on boards like this.

Just like any "club" there will be inevitable turnover in membership. Some people will grow out of it, others will lose interest, and some will eventually reach the point where they are physically unable to take trips of this type. At the same time others will be "joining" for the first time.

What I don't understand.....and maybe this thread isn't the place.....but the topics has shifted so much I'll throw it out. What I don't understand is the commentary here that at US there is so much less to do. I have never been there, but I have been to Disney, and really, HS and Epcot, IMO, don't have a ton to do. Is either of the US parks less than those?
We went to IOA in 2013 (just IOA, not US)...I would definitely not say there is less there than at DHS (especially now, with all the closures there), or at Epcot. Their offerings are different than Epcot/DHS for sure, and because of the nature of the rides and more height requirements, there may be less to do than in Epcot/DHS for families with small children who don't meet height requirements (or who aren't interested/scared of those kinds of rides)...but just *purely looking at numbers of attractions, I would say IOA was on par with Epcot/DHS.

Depends - you ever go to Hawaii for a week? I have been to Hawaii for 2 weeks, as I have been to WDW for 2 weeks. Never bored at either. Always able to find plenty of things to do.

To each their own.
We've never even considered Hawaii but I could see how going to the different islands could take time and if you're into beach things maybe it's different at each island. I've even seen some people explain what they do for 2 weeks at Disney and you're right that it's competely to "each his own" but spending time touring the resorts or spending an entire day at Disney Springs sounds more like torture than vacation to me.

I'll bite, as I've posted a few comments about US/IOA. My extended family has been going to WDW since the 1970's. Over the years, we visited both, but preferred WDW.

Part of what drew us back to WDW, year after year, was the spirit of WDW. WDW celebrated All American values and patriotism. I recently watched the PBS Civil War documentary. The veterans of the Battle of Gettysburg gathered there for 75 years after the battle! They gathered to embrace each other! Their hugs personified our motto, "out of many, one." Pre Civil war, folks said, "The United States are..." Now we say, "The United States is...."

Walt Disney World celebrated the same American ideals: Hall of Presidents. Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (DL). The American Adventure. Tom Sawyer Island. Tomorrowland. To quote Sam Eagle's character, "It's called "A Salute to All Nations, But Mostly America."

That's a big part of why WDW was better than US/IoA. Though a bit sappy and commercial, visits to WDW brought out our patriotism. We could go back to our daily grind reminded of why we do the work we do. It was especially appreciated in the aftermath of 9/11.

US/IoA lacked soul. It was just a collection of rides and places to drink. So it is ironic that HP has given US/IoA a soul, but it has! Despite being British and pure fantasy, the HP franchise celebrates a number of American ideals! Chief among them, e pluribus unum.

If a majority of Americans can no longer afford to visit WDW, then it doesn't represent American values.

What I don't understand.....and maybe this thread isn't the place.....but the topics have shifted so much I'll throw it out. What I don't understand is the commentary here that at US there is so much less to do. I have never been there, but I have been to Disney, and really, HS and Epcot, IMO, don't have a ton to do. Is either of the US parks less than those?

Nope, but a couple of things I have learned about the DIS over the years

1. There is a LARGE segment of posters whose personal self worth is tied up in Disney. Therefore ANY response that Disney is not perfect and other places may offer options MUST be responded to with belittling, attacks or 'trash talk" even if the "trash talk" contains no real facts. They are determined that Disney will be better LOL!

2. Most people who trash the competition have not even been there. See #1. LOL!

Walt Disney himself said, "Tomorrow will be better as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life.”

If Walt Disney World is only a playground for the wealthy, then it isn't American.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter