Prices just hit my threshold :-(

I disagree. Disney offers a lot more in terms of entertainment for the entire family, not just character based.

I like thrill rides but after going to IOA and US once I said been there, done that, never going again. That's just my take, I know others will disagree or feel that way about WDW and that's fine. I think Universal is fine for teens and adults but Disney is really more family focused.

I respect everyone's preference of one park over another, but I do think Disney caters to the whole family from
babies to adults, where Universal is really teen and adult focused with a few attractions for the younger set sprinkled in -- but even those are pretty intense and overstimulating, IMO.

I have to agree, at least for me. I went once to Universal, but it's not my cup of tea, so to speak.

I do have friends that are older than I am, that went in their 60's, though, and loved Universal! So it's just a matter of preference, but I'm with you on that. I (obviously) will pay the higher price for Disney!

The Disney parks and the Universal parks are not interchangeable. They are all world-class and all that, but they are very different in terms of the types of rides and atmosphere. It helps to just see them as different experiences and not compare them too much. I like the Disney parks much better but when I am at Universal and I enjoy those parks for what they are, I don't compare them to Disney's. We see them all as one group of parks now, just the "Orlando" parks, actually seven if you count SeaWorld which we also enjoy.

Walt Disney himself said, "Tomorrow will be better as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life.”

If Walt Disney World is only a playground for the wealthy, then it isn't American.
Did Walt ever have any quotes about putting investors and profits first?

I’m not really sure what people are expecting out of Corporate. I’ve subbed a few words, see if this makes sense:

Dear Mercedes,

I am deeply disappointed by your recent price increase on the new S550. We are long-time admirers of your automobiles. In fact, one of my fondest memories was riding in the backseat of my Grandfather’s W116. We are a hard working family and I’m afraid that we will not be able to afford the $105,000 needed to drive our favorite automobile. We hope you lower your price and/or create a similar automobile with all the features and options for a much lower price. Thank you in advance.

I hear what you are saying and understand your point, but there is one thing you are forgetting here. I don't think that Mercedes with the price increases eliminates features or quality from it's cars, in fact the opposite is true. Mercedes is constantly adding new technology to their cars almost yearly; granted it increases the cost, but they are not eliminating features and cutting back on the consumer. The same cannot be said for Disney which continues to increase their costs while cutting back on quality and offerings (MB's and FP+ is not an improvement IMHO). I am a big Disney fan as all of us are here on the DIS, and for the foreseeable future I will continue to go. But I could also see a day if Disney continues with this business philosophy where I would seriously think of selling my DVC and not going as I do now. I hope I never have to make that decision where the cost no longer is worth the product being offered.

I hear what you are saying and understand your point, but there is one thing you are forgetting here. I don't think that Mercedes with the price increases eliminates features or quality from it's cars, in fact the opposite is true. Mercedes is constantly adding new technology to their cars almost yearly; granted it increases the cost, but they are not eliminating features and cutting back on the consumer. The same cannot be said for Disney which continues to increase their costs while cutting back on quality and offerings (MB's and FP+ is not an improvement IMHO). I am a big Disney fan as all of us are here on the DIS, and for the foreseeable future I will continue to go. But I could also see a day if Disney continues with this business philosophy where I would seriously think of selling my DVC and not going as I do now. I hope I never have to make that decision where the cost no longer is worth the product being offered.

But for a lot of people it is an improvement. I know that I personally am very happy about these changes.

But for a lot of people it is an improvement. I know that I personally am very happy about these changes.

Which is why I said IMHO... You feel they are I feel they are not. I'm not even going to argue this point, it is opinion. Area's of not improving are the quality of the food, the entertainment being cut back, the offerings in CL at the resorts, the quality of merchandise and etc; The overwhelming majority of people feel this is true as do I. I love Disney, I really do. I really hope that the plans for DHS and AK are spectacular and that they don't take 10 years to come to fruition.

Which is why I said IMHO... You feel they are I feel they are not. I'm not even going to argue this point, it is opinion. Area's of not improving are the quality of the food, the entertainment being cut back, the offerings in CL at the resorts, the quality of merchandise and etc; The overwhelming majority of people feel this is true as do I. I love Disney, I really do. I really hope that the plans for DHS and AK are spectacular and that they don't take 10 years to come to fruition.

I'll have to disagree about the food. (I'm always disagreeing about the food :o ) We were so pleasantly surprised last October at the food choices. MK had the least, definitely agree improvement is needed there, but we liked the waffle sandwiches at Sleep Hollow (I think?), Be Our Guest was great for lunch and I liked the fried shrimp at CHH.

AK had one of the best beef flatbread sandwiches I've ever had! Also had good quick service at Yak n Yeti.
Epcot - great quick service at World Showcase.
HS - we left and ate at Boardwalk Bakery - great sandwiches!!
We stayed at Beach Club - good sandwiches at the Marketplace, great dinner at Crews Cup Lounge at Yacht Club. We liked Beaches and Cream.
Jiko - fantastic!
Citricos - fantastic!
Via Napoli - great pizza!
Flying Fish had breakfast while we were there - really good!

And now with all the new stuff opening in Disney Springs - may be pricey but who cares as long as it's good. (at least we don't).

Table service? If you don't want generic/please everyone food, spring for the signatures - most are still really good. I mean, do people actually expect anything more than Olive Garden type Italian food from Tony's Town Square?

For theme park food, WDW has some of the best variety around - is it all perfect? Of course not - you can't have perfect when feeding the masses. But you can always find good stuff pretty easily (In my opinion)

In a stunning announcement today, Disney stated they are renaming their "Magic Your Way" tickets to:

http://i235.*************************************Misc/disney-world-ticket.png​

And they've released the new pricing scheme, which Disney states will reduce overcrowding in the parks.

http://i235.*************************************Misc/NewDisTicketPrices_1.png​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Got questions about DVC?
★ ☆ ★ THE DVC INFORMATION CENTER ★ ☆ ★
in the DVC Forums has the answers to your questions about the Disney Vacation Club.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

LOL

You know, the price per person is pretty similar to the really private parties that occur at the parks when someone with deep pockets rents them out for the evening. Want to go to a park with less than a thousand people attending? This is what it costs, so you're closer to the truth than you think! (and fireworks are extra).

I was shocked and kind of unhappy to see the new AP prices. You see, we've never had AP's, but it's something I've always hoped and dreamed I could talk my hubby into. Until this recent price increase, it made sense for our family. Living in GA and being close enough to drive in a day makes a couple or even more trips per year doable time-wise. But unfortunately, it won't be happening now. :( After pricing out the AP's for our family with the new prices, there's no way he'll agree to it, especially after doing a price comparison. Even at two trips a little less than a year apart, the AP price doesn't cover it or make sense for us. I understand price increases, economics, etc. My husband is a salesman and I know there has to be profit.

Honestly, I wish they had raised prices on food, merch, resorts, anything else that I could choose to purchase/not to purchase. I love Disney, and I truly hope they don't continue down this path and eventually price our family out of our vacations. :(

Been to US, and didn't like it at all. Not for me. I'm ok with SW but it's just not Disney.

So how much is your FIL charging you for his DVC points that you're using on your upcoming vacation?
http://www.disboards.com/threads/mb-credit-card-question.3448216/

It's easy to argue that Disney is a great value or totally worth the price if you're vacationing on someone else's dime. :)

AHHHH.....now I get see the true picture. This from a poster who criticized me at length because my room at BWV(where they will be vacationing shortly) was directly under jackhammering for several days and told me to suck it up! We have owned DVC since 99...long enough to have a real clue as to the loss in value to these price increases. Attacking others is easy when you have no investment, so never hold yourself out to be more than you are. Sunshine is the best disinfectant...just like Karma!

Honestly, I wish they had raised prices on food, merch, resorts, anything else that I could choose to purchase/not to purchase. I love Disney, and I truly hope they don't continue down this path and eventually price our family out of our vacations. :(
Disney has done that too. It has been all encompassing price increases.

AHHHH.....now I get see the true picture. This from a poster who criticized me at length because my room at BWV(where they will be vacationing shortly) was directly under jackhammering for several days and told me to suck it up! We have owned DVC since 99...long enough to have a real clue as to the loss in value to these price increases. Attacking others is easy when you have no investment, so never hold yourself out to be more than you are. Sunshine is the best disinfectant...just like Karma!

I saw that other thread about your stay, and had already seen this one. It seemed like someone was searching to pick a fight. :rolleyes2

The raises in pricing on the rooms and the food are what had started to turn us away from the parks well before they started to really ratchet up the ticket prices. They've really made large increases in everything at WDW. It all adds up to a much more expensive experience.

I think this is true. It will be the same pretty much crowd-wise across the board.

I agree. This is what we're already beginning to see, with crowded conditions now common even in early fall and mid-winter.

yeah the cost of our DVC annual passes is going to have me doing some calculations pretty soon also...with the weak Canadian dollar I might even sell my DVC I could make a fortune on it right now after only owning it for a year the price has gone up 15-20% and the dollar has gone down 30%

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter