Presidential Election

Who do you think will win this years presidential election?

• McCain

• Obama

Results are only viewable after voting.
Idk, but i think thats total bs

Lets put this into a prospective of gpa.

We have little johnny who works his butt off to get good grades in highschool. He studies for tests somtimes for up to 4 hours a night. He ends up his Sr. year with a gpa of 4.0.

We also have little suzy who doesnt care about school. Goes out partying everynight and has a rough homelife. Thinks shes the hot stuff of the school and she gets a gpa of 3.0.

Now the school board wants to take johnny's hard earned gpa score of a 4.0 and give .3 gpa points away from him and give it to partying suzy. So now johnny have a jpa of 3.7 and suzy has a gpa of 3.3.

Cause no one actually needs a 4.0, they only need a 3.7 :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I think it's total BS that we should make someone who makes $250,000 pay the same taxes as someone who makes $40,000. But that person who makes $40,000 shouldnt have the same healthcare as the person who makes $250,000 either, right? Because that person who makes $40,000 obviously doesn't work as hard as that person making $250,000.

Yeah..alright. :rolleyes:

We have little johnny who works his butt off to get good grades in highschool. He studies for tests somtimes for up to 4 hours a night. He ends up his Sr. year with a gpa of 4.0.

We also have little suzy who doesnt care about school. Goes out partying everynight and has a rough homelife. Thinks shes the hot stuff of the school and she gets a gpa of 3.0.

Now the school board wants to take johnny's hard earned gpa score of a 4.0 and give .3 gpa points away from him and give it to partying suzy. So now johnny have a jpa of 3.7 and suzy has a gpa of 3.3.

Oh, perfect example.
Because the amount of income that someone earns is a direct result of how hard they work.

Let's compare.
Well-to-do office worker. Works the typical 9-5.
OR
Lower class worker struggling to support their family that puts in 72 hours a week just to bring food to the table.

The office worker makes nearly double that of the lower class worker, and yet exerts less than half of the energy than the lower class worker.

Your "Little Johnny" and "Partying Suzy" are honestly insulting.

The fact remains:
HEALTHCARE IS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT.
Who are you to say that just because your parent maybe had a little extra luck or was born into a different class, you deserve the benefit of being able to be healthy? If your mom was bussing at a restaurant and was constantly worried about paying rent, my guess is you'd be singing a different tune.

Since when was someone's health dependent upon how much money they make?

I agree Mickey.
I personally find denying healthcare just as inhumane as abortion. I don't get how someone can say abortion is killing a life, but so is denying healthcare. Especially in the elderly.

Give me a second to stop laughing at this comparison. Cause I can reverse it.

I'm a total slacker in school. Mostly in courses I don't like. I don't go out and party or anything, but I also don't study 24/7. I have a 3.7 GPA. My friend, M, studies for 3 hours a night, does all her homework, is an honours student, and has a 3.2. It's not always more hours=higher grades.

Just like it's not always more hours=higher pay.

what if johnny's family is very wealthy, can afford private tutors, and afford a good college for johnny? and suzy's family is very poor, can't afford tutors to help suzy, and college isn't an option? wouldn't that .3 gpa help suzy do better in life?

:rolleyes:

I think it's total BS that we should make someone who makes $250,000 pay the same taxes as someone who makes $40,000. But that person who makes $40,000 shouldnt have the same healthcare as the person who makes $250,000 either, right? Because that person who makes $40,000 obviously doesn't work as hard as that person making $250,000.

Yeah..alright. :rolleyes:

if you are making 250k, you're sitting behind a desk.

if you're making 40k, you could be doing anything from sitting behind a desk, to teaching, to working in factory (but i doubt you'd make 40 putting car parts together)

amount of money =/= intensity of labor.

oh, and about your gpa comparison.
i'm a highschool senior AND a college freshman. i take eight classes every day, two college and six highschool. i work my *** off. my gpa is not as high as someone who takes useless gimmie classes. but i work a billion times harder than them. gpa is not a reflection of how hard you work, just like money isn't.

I must agree.

A person who worked hard deserves quality health insurance.

But a person who's very smart, has a college education, and being lazy, does not deserve full health insurance. (Just an example)

I'll elaborate more later.

It was taken out of context.

I'm not going into it more right now.
But I think some programs should be initiated for health care such as...

for single parents who are struggling to provied for their children.

for people have been recently layed off of work, and give them a 6 month period of somewhat of a health insurance while they can find a new job. (6 months is plenty time)

During a recession, 6 monthes is not a lot of time, especially if we are on the way to a depression.

I think 6 months is at least enough time to find a part time job somewhere, no?

i can't find a job to save my life. i have work experience, references, and i've applied at at least 30 places.

people just aren't hiring.

i can't find a job to save my life. i have work experience, references, and i've applied at at least 30 places.

people just aren't hiring.

This is why I'm glad I live in a tourist trap town. People are always hiring for the tourist seasons. I'm currently applying to about 6 different places looking for seasonal help so I should have a job at least over the winter.

what if johnny's family is very wealthy, can afford private tutors, and afford a good college for johnny? and suzy's family is very poor, can't afford tutors to help suzy, and college isn't an option? wouldn't that .3 gpa help suzy do better in life?

...If college isn't an option, why would the .3 gpa help suzy? Also, there are colleges where 3.0 is a good enough GPA to be accepted. Also, if school isn't high on her priorities (which it doesn't seem like it is), why would it matter anyway?

I'm sorry, but this bullcrap about what is and isn't basic human rights is downright maddening. Healthcare is NOT a basic human right. Marriage is NOT a basic human right. Our basic human rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Just because we are pursuing happiness by means of healthcare or marriage doesn't mean the government has to give it.

By regulating healthcare you're going to cause any doctor worth your time to go to private practice, charge up the ying-yang and make them practically inaccessible to anyone with lower than a six digit income. Look at Canada...they're practically BEGGING the doctors to come back to canada. I'm speaking from the standpoint of someone who can't even get the most expensive health care because I have a pre-existing condition, so regulating healthcare would in some ways benefit me, I'd rather search high and low for a provider who will provide healthcare with a good doctor for me rather than get stuck with a makeshift doctor who didn't know my disease even existed until I came through the door. Also, besides some high-profile retail jobs (think starbucks), what company gives part-time workers healthcare? I'd like to know so I can be hired by them because I've worked in retail for 3 years and I don't know of ANY mall jobs that give part-time workers healthcare benefits. And health benefits have always been dependent on how much money people make. Nobody would be paid if it wasn't. Also, there are SO many different programs for children under the age of 19 to get health care for 20 bucks or less that I don't see how they can even be complaining. I had healthy families and I got everything from kaiser for FREE for 7 bucks a month. I really, really don't think people who actually invested time into their children's healthcare and found deals like that would be stressing so much.

Also, the person who makes 250k in most cases has an exceedingly harder time getting to the position they're in than the person making 40k. People aren't usually just handed jobs that make that money without fighting for it. Usually, 250k jobs are held for people with higher education than undergraduate, and people who've been with the company for a while. It just makes me so mad that people assume that people who make a lot of money don't work at all and that people who don't make a lot of money are struggling to keep food on the table for their family. The inner-city scenario will never work for me. I don't care what environment you live in, you always have a chance to be above and beyond that environment. Colleges are more likely to accept you if you have high grades from an inner-city school and a kick butt essay about the struggles you went through than a yuppie from the suburbs who are using their name to get them into school. We are not in the 50's where whites and status are supreme when it comes to colleges (well, schools such as harvard and yale still have a little bit of that, but most state colleges don't), and colleges are striving for diversity, whether it be race or socioeconomically. Why should I give sympathy to a person who brought children into this world when they couldn't afford it and that's why they're struggling? Or a person who could've achieved a lot more, but used their situations as an excuse to not prosper and that's why their struggling? I think anyone can do anything they put their minds to, but I'm not going to grieve or be ok paying higher taxes for people who didn't even try. Community colleges are making it even easier for people who made mistakes in their past to make up for it. They have classes at all times of the day, and they have television and internet classes, making it virtually impossible to have an excuse not to get an education.

Advice: Go to school, get an education, and then you'll be out of the laborious jobs and into the "desk" work that supposedly all people who make a lot of money work in.
:rolleyes2 please.

I'm sorry, but this bullcrap about what is and isn't basic human rights is downright maddening. Healthcare is NOT a basic human right. Marriage is NOT a basic human right. Our basic human rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Just because we are pursuing happiness by means of healthcare or marriage doesn't mean the government has to give it.

Also, the person who makes 250k in most cases has an exceedingly harder time getting to the position they're in than the person making 40k. People aren't usually just handed jobs that make that money without fighting for it. Usually, 250k jobs are held for people with higher education than undergraduate, and people who've been with the company for a while. It just makes me so mad that people assume that people who make a lot of money don't work at all and that people who don't make a lot of money are struggling to keep food on the table for their family. The inner-city scenario will never work for me. I don't care what environment you live in, you always have a chance to be above and beyond that environment. Colleges are more likely to accept you if you have high grades from an inner-city school and a kick butt essay about the struggles you went through than a yuppie from the suburbs who are using their name to get them into school. We are not in the 50's where whites and status are supreme when it comes to colleges (well, schools such as harvard and yale still have a little bit of that, but most state colleges don't), and colleges are striving for diversity, whether it be race or socioeconomically. Why should I give sympathy to a person who brought children into this world when they couldn't afford it and that's why they're struggling? Or a person who could've achieved a lot more, but used their situations as an excuse to not prosper and that's why their struggling? I think anyone can do anything they put their minds to, but I'm not going to grieve or be ok paying higher taxes for people who didn't even try. Community colleges are making it even easier for people who made mistakes in their past to make up for it. They have classes at all times of the day, and they have television and internet classes, making it virtually impossible to have an excuse not to get an education.

Advice: Go to school, get an education, and then you'll be out of the laborious jobs and into the "desk" work that supposedly all people who make a lot of money work in.
:rolleyes2 please.

I'm sorry, what?
Life and the pursuit of happiness are two of our basic human rights. If I wanted to pursue that happiness, what deal is it to you if I want to be happy as a gay or lesbian? It's not harming you is it?
As for healthcare, essentially in some cases you can be denying that person's right to life. Would you like it if the government were to say, oh sorry, we don't legally have to provide you a treatment so you can just go die in that corner over there?

As for your second paragraph, that's not necessarily true. My dad isn't college educated. College was too expensive and his parents were of the mentality "Once you're 18 you're on your own. Bye!". He just celebrated his 20th anniversary at his job. His annual salary? Less that $60,000 a year. Seniority doesn't always give you a higher pay.

As for college, what about those who aren't cut out to go? Maybe those with learning disabilities who aren't BOOK smart? What can we do for them??

Also in Arizona, they took away all the ESL programs at the schools. Essentially they're letting those who aren't english proficient, fail. It isn't fair to those students, AND it makes the schools look bad. Why can't we provide those to them.

Besides the No Child Left Behind Act, it was one of the other reasons we had the AIMS developed. (Arizona's Instrument to Measure Standards). Its pretty easy if your even just a little bit bright. However, it does pretty much exclude the ESL students.

:headache:

Oh, perfect example.
Because the amount of income that someone earns is a direct result of how hard they work.

Let's compare.
Well-to-do office worker. Works the typical 9-5.
OR
Lower class worker struggling to support their family that puts in 72 hours a week just to bring food to the table.

The office worker makes nearly double that of the lower class worker, and yet exerts less than half of the energy than the lower class worker.

Acutally it is, The office worker wasnt just handed the job, he/she had to work for that position and all the hard work they put in makes them have a better life.

The office worker was doing the same jobs as the poor person, once upon a time.

Give me a second to stop laughing at this comparison. Cause I can reverse it.

I'm a total slacker in school. Mostly in courses I don't like. I don't go out and party or anything, but I also don't study 24/7. I have a 3.7 GPA. My friend, M, studies for 3 hours a night, does all her homework, is an honours student, and has a 3.2. It's not always more hours=higher grades.

Just like it's not always more hours=higher pay.

Thats not the point. Its to show that its not fair that people achieve better grades and yet they still have to help out the rest of the world. Well maybe your honors student M should drop of honors?! that might help her a little. Or maybe she can study a little bit longer.

The more time you put in school, the chance of succeding in life is greater

It would, but it is dentromental to johnny's succuess

And sparx, my brother is in 5 college classes and 2 regular and he is a senior in highschool. So before you think your all high and mighty, my brother is doubling your work load. He puts in the time and effort and yes some kids get a high gpa than he does because of the "gimmie classes". Most colleges look at class rank which is determined generally by weighted gpa, so these gimmie classes are penalized.

ohdisco, nice post :thumbsup2

I'm sorry, what?
Life and the pursuit of happiness are two of our basic human rights. If I wanted to pursue that happiness, what deal is it to you if I want to be happy as a gay or lesbian? It's not harming you is it?
As for healthcare, essentially in some cases you can be denying that person's right to life. Would you like it if the government were to say, oh sorry, we don't legally have to provide you a treatment so you can just go die in that corner over there?

As for your second paragraph, that's not necessarily true. My dad isn't college educated. College was too expensive and his parents were of the mentality "Once you're 18 you're on your own. Bye!". He just celebrated his 20th anniversary at his job. His annual salary? Less that $60,000 a year. Seniority doesn't always give you a higher pay.

I never said that I had a problem with you (or anyone for that matter) being gay or lesbian. I said the government doesn't HAVE to allow you to get married because it's not a basic human right. Heck, they could ban ALL marriage if they really wanted to. Also, "life" in those terms means they can't kill you for an invalid reason, it doesn't mean they have to provide you with the care to keep that life. By the way, all health care plans (yes, even government run healthcare plans like medi-cal) have said, "No, we don't have to provide you with treatment for your disease because your disease was pre-existing when you asked for the plan" so please don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about. Healthcare, while it is a very nice perk, is definitely NOT a basic human right...seeing as there are 80 million people in the United States that don't have it.

Also, if you had read everything I said, I stated that higher paying jobs were for people who ARE college educated AND have been with the company for a long time. People who are college educated can sometimes get pretty high paying jobs without being with the company for a while, but being with the company for a while doesn't guarantee you high wages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter