• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post your Eastern Caribbean Excursions here!!!

Trying to decide between the 2. Was thinking (and still considering) a 3rd party tour but IDK about weather cancellations and we are going through 2 countries etc. Just more comfortable doing a DCL tour this day.
We want to see St John, really just the beaches.
My DW and DM will be content with a cold drink and soaking up the sun either on a boat or beach, maybe a swim here or there.
My DD8 and myself are water rats. She is getting down snorkeling and loves wildlife so we will be in the water the whole time.
My conflict:
Trunk Bay beach is supposedly THE beach to see. But it looks crowded and the boat looks like a ferry that is just transportation and nothing else.
Honeymoon Bay (catamaran) looks like a beautiful ride and like the ride is half the fun. My DM and DW would love to lay out on that cruising above the blue see. But it doesn't go to Trunk Bay.
SO...does anybody have any thoughts or experiences? Anybody done one or both? Thanks!

I agree, St John / Trunk Bay was just gorgeous. I chickened out on the snorkeling part of my excursion there (sea creatures scare me and DH isn't much of a swimmer), but I loved just wading/swimming in the crystal clear, calm water in the bay while DH sat on the beach. It was so relaxing!

We aren't swimmers either but would love to go to Trunk Bay. Do they dock near shore while people snorkel?

We are going on the Fantasy in Jan. 2015 so this is a very helpful thread!!

I'm looking at doing the Caribbean Sea Safari and beach tour in St. Thomas. Has anyone done that one? It takes you to snorkel Buck Island and Honeymoon Beach (Water Island) I believe. I'm wondering if Honeymoon Beach gets crowded when there are several ships in port.

There are going to be 6 ships in port that day so I'm wondering how crowded all the beaches will be. I was thinking about doing the Trunk Bay excursion, but I figured with that many ships in port it would be really crowded. Does anyone know? I have no idea how many Trunk Bay can handle.

In San Juan I think we are just going to explore on our own. If anyone has any tips for that I'd love to hear them! I'm not sure if we need to get a taxi or if we can walk. I've heard the forts are a must see. I'm just not sure how to get to them.

It's been a while since I've been there, but being from there there's trolleys that take you throughout Old San Juan. They used to be free. For those worried about language issues, keep in mind that PR is a US Commonwealth, and especially with the US tourists in the OSJ area a lot speak English as well.

The forts are a must-see but I always loved El Morro more...but that's because I used to go there as a little girl :)

For rum tasters, yes, Bacardi is a nice factory but if you're into tasting most locals/other Puerto Ricans love Don Q waaaaaaaaaaaay more.

Wear comfy shoes - lots of brick roads and steep areas.

I'm hoping to talk my husband out of the West. Car and go Eastern because, if nothing else, I can save on the excursions :lmao: Last time we went (by plane...hurricane Irene was there) we didn't get to see my great grandparents, who are actually buried in the catacombs of one of the cathedrals. Yes you can go down, especially if you have a relative there. Again, used to go there as a kid and very cool...or at least I thought so. :)

If we do a tour, though, I'll probably book separately because of some of those age restrictions. And the amount of money they charge for the beach days in San Juan, when I can book something privately and go to Luquillo Beach and El Yunque Rain Forest (it's close enough to see from the hotels in Rio Grande/Luquillo)...just probably won't go through Disney on those ;)

Hi all! My family is sailing the Fantasy end of November. This will be the 3rd DCL trip for myself, DH and DD1 (age 7), and the first trip for DD2, who will be 14 mths at time of sailing. None of us have done Eastern Caribbean before.

I'm looking for suggestions for independent excursions for both both St. Thomas and San Juan. Preferably something that we can all at least attend, though DH and I may have to switch off on participating! We definitely want to snorkel, we usually try to fit in a tour, but definitely want a great tour guide who is both informative and fun, and I'd love to see a rainforest!

Some things on DD1 list of "like to do" in luxe parasailing and zip lining as well.

So there you have it! Now....flood me with suggestions and links please!
TIA!

Hi! I am trying to decide if I even want to do excursions. When we were in Nassau, we just did everything on our own. On my next cruise, we go to St Thomas and San Juan. Is it possible to either walk or take a cheap/free ride into town? I would just like to check out some sight and do a little shopping in each port. Thanks.

We just had the best excursion on St. Martin during our New Years Eve cruise. Soualiga Destinations run by Captain Bob Cass is an excellent way to spend your time on the Island. Capt Bob has a few speed boats that will take you around the island to various snorkeling excursions and a excellent lunch in Grand Case. Our captain for the day was Chris and even though we had rough seas he was able to get us through to all of the sites. http://www.soualigadestinations.com/soualiga_destinations/Welcome.html

Thank you so much for this!!! I just requested availability and I really hope it's available.

Hi! I am trying to decide if I even want to do excursions. When we were in Nassau, we just did everything on our own. On my next cruise, we go to St Thomas and San Juan. Is it possible to either walk or take a cheap/free ride into town? I would just like to check out some sight and do a little shopping in each port. Thanks.
There is a free trolley in San Juan and the forts only cost $5 per person to go to both ;)
http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/kids-in-old-san-juan/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

I think we are going to go with the Castaway Catamaran Sail and Snorkel at St. Thomas. We have 3 DD's (12, 9, 6), all good swimmers, of course the weakest is the 6 year old. What are opinions on this particular excursion?

For San Juan I am torn. Assuming we do an excursion at St. Thomas we will not likely do one in San Juan. I am concerned however that our kids will not enjoy touring things all day. Maybe the forts but that will last half the day. Is the next best thing to find a beach?

I think we are going to go with the Castaway Catamaran Sail and Snorkel at St. Thomas. We have 3 DD's (12, 9, 6), all good swimmers, of course the weakest is the 6 year old. What are opinions on this particular excursion? For San Juan I am torn. Assuming we do an excursion at St. Thomas we will not likely do one in San Juan. I am concerned however that our kids will not enjoy touring things all day. Maybe the forts but that will last half the day. Is the next best thing to find a beach?

Ok, I've not seen any people mention the kite flying in San Juan. Yes, it sounds silly but I read about it before our trip. We walked to El Morro and ran across a fountain that our daughter gladly cooled off in on the way there. There was a guy selling kites in the broad lawn leading up to El Morro--I'm not sure that he's there everyday. We bought a kite and had THE BEST time. Wide open spaces. Beautiful day. What kid doesn't love kite flying:) We then toured the fort. I have pictures but do not know how to post from the app.

This November will be our 3rd stop in St Thomas. We've always just rented a tour on our own. It's an easy way to see the island but you just stop here and there and take some photos. It's just fine for a first visit but this time we wanted to do something different. We read about Sail with Liberty on Trip Advisor and we couldn't be more excited about this small charter where we will visit snorkeling spots and small islands in the BVI. We had originally booked the Captain Nautica's snorkel and sail through Disney but once we saw the prices were the same through Sail with Liberty we chose to do that instead:) www.sailwithliberty.com.

I hope that helps!

Does anyone know if the beach concession at Magens Bay accepts credit cards, or should we bring cash? TIA!!

Thanks for the input. I read about the kite flying before and I guess the first thing that popped into my head is "I can fly a kite at home, what can I do/see in San Juan I won't be able to at home." But after reading maybe it is something we try. I will bring it up to the crew.

Thanks also for the link to Sail With Liberty.

Trying to decide between the 2. Was thinking (and still considering) a 3rd party tour but IDK about weather cancellations and we are going through 2 countries etc. Just more comfortable doing a DCL tour this day.
My DW and DM will be content with a cold drink and soaking up the sun either on a boat or beach, maybe a swim here or there.
My DD8 and myself are water rats. She is getting down snorkeling and loves wildlife so we will be in the water the whole time.
My conflict:
Trunk Bay beach is supposedly THE beach to see. But it looks crowded and the boat looks like a ferry that is just transportation and nothing else.
Honeymoon Bay (catamaran) looks like a beautiful ride and like the ride is half the fun. My DM and DW would love to lay out on that cruising above the blue see. But it doesn't go to Trunk Bay.
SO...does anybody have any thoughts or experiences? Anybody done one or both? Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing? :confused3

AKMamaT said:
Does anyone know if the beach concession at Magens Bay accepts credit cards, or should we bring cash? TIA!!

They take plastic. :) There is also a shop to buy sunscreen, etc.

I am looking for suggestions for our stop in San Juan. We would love to see the rainforest. Has anyone taken the DCL excursion that goes hiking there? Does anyone have any information on private tours that they would suggest that go to the rainforest? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I have done a ton of research and have narrowed our St. Thomas excursion down to the Doubloon Turtle Cove or the Full Day Sail and Snorkel Turtle Cove/Honeymoon Beach. I have two questions though:

1. Are these 'family friendly' excursions? I have a young child and I am not looking to spend the day on a half naked, drunken party boat. I know alcohol is served, but do they keep it G-rated after that?

2. Are there bathrooms on the pirate ships (or catamaran as I've heard some people get put on those)?

I'd also like to know if there is any nudity on Honeymoon Beach in St. Thomas, or at Great Bay Beach in St. Maarten (the beach/boardwalk area right where the ships dock). Thanks for your help! We just don't want to stumble upon any unexpected scenery. :laughing:

My conflict:

We have the same concerns. Sounds like Trunk Bay is the beach to go to, but with 6 other cruise ships in St. Thomas that day, I fear Trunk Bay will be way too crowded to fully enjoy. So we decided to do the Champagne Catamaran to St. John. The sail over will be part of the experience. We have 6 adults in our party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter