Possible to see Rocket Launch from Cruise Terminal

My thoughts: 1) yes, you could see it from the cruise terminal area. Not necessarily totally from the ground, however, since it's a distance away, but you'd see it once it got high enough in the air.

2) I don't know that I'd risk trying to watch the launch at KSC and then hightail it to the port, as launches are quite likely to be delayed or even cancelled. And they don't tell you about it until you figure out the rocket didn't launch (in our experience).

3) Even if it did go off on time, the time it would take you to get from the viewing area at KSC to where your car would be parked, and make it to the rental car place then to the terminal is pretty tight.

Thanks! If we get to see it, it will be a real bonus. Worth the effort of flying 12 time zones. :goodvibes

We were fortunate enough to have a rental car co van driver tell us about a launch set to happen the day we boarded the Magic (1/6/14) and dh and I were just outside the Cove Café on the port side and we were able to see the entire thing, from ground through the clouds 'til it was completely gone from view... it was amazing and awe-inspiring... one of our favorite cruise moments!!

We were fortunate enough to have a rental car co van driver tell us about a launch set to happen the day we boarded the Magic (1/6/14) and dh and I were just outside the Cove Café on the port side and we were able to see the entire thing, from ground through the clouds 'til it was completely gone from view... it was amazing and awe-inspiring... one of our favorite cruise moments!!

Sounds cool! Hope we'll be as lucky.

There is no "normal" time for a rocket launch. It really depends on what is being launched and where they are trying to get it to in orbit as they have to wait for everything to line up and create a launch "window". Since we are continually moving through space the window gives them a range of time that if they launch during they know the trajectories will line up and get them where they need to go.

For launches I recommend using followspaceflight.com. They have a launch schedule link at the top of their page that gets updated as soon as anything is announced. They will also have stories specific to the launch as the date draws closer usually with cool pictures of the payloads being processed and readied for launch.

If you're wondering when they might announce the Feb 22 launch, it's really anybody's guess. It's a SpaceX launch which means it's a private company and it's at their whim to disclose the launch time. They will need to notify the Eastern Range of a launch time at some point, so it won't be too last minute. That being said, it's also not unheard of for them to push out a launch date to a later day due to various issues.

KSC can take a full day depending on the interests of those in the party. To be safe, I'd estimate 6-8 hours to go see everything. The transportation alone to get out the the Saturn V center and back is going to take you about 45 minutes since they load you on a bus and drive you around the complex a little bit before dropping you off to tour the Saturn V. Just make sure you at least go see the new Atlantis exhibit which is located within the main Visitor Complex. They did such an amazing job with the presentation and history of the Shuttle program!

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! It does help!! I am really hoping they do not reschedule my little 6 year son is super excited about seeing a rocket launch so is my 60 year old mom!:thumbsup2 Thanks again!

Looks like they've moved this. (unfortunate for us but that's how it goes.)

Looks like a night launch on the 20th now.

I just wanted to say that this is a really amazing opportunity for you, and I'm really jealous, and I hope it works out that you can see it from the ship because that is SO COOL.

Also, it's a crime that we have no astronaut or rocket ship smiley on this forum!

Anyway, have a wonderful cruise!

We watch the night rocket launches all the time and we're two hours south. You will definitely be able to see it from the terminal/ship.

We don't arrive until the 21st. Darn it. Not sure when OP is going to be around. Hopefully they'll have better luck.

So sad :sad:We intentionally planned our trip for the 22nd so we could see a rocket launch before our cruise on the 23rd. We got our tickets for the KSC for that day! I even looked yesterday and they had added the launch on the 20th but still had the 22nd on the schedule just did not have a time :confused3 Now on NASA's site there are no American launches on the schedule :confused3 maybe they will put the launch on the 22nd back on the schedule! ::yes::

Now on NASA's site there are no American launches on the schedule :confused3 maybe they will put the launch on the 22nd back on the schedule! ::yes::

That website is notorious for not getting updated quickly... use this one instead: http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

That website updates ASAP after changes are made. The launch originally scheduled on the 22nd was SpaceX and there's no chance it will be moved back to the 22nd, sorry :( The "new" launch on the night of the 20th with an airforce payload actually had its launch window extended since SpaceX told the Eastern Range they weren't going to launch on the 22nd. If I count correctly, this is the 7th time SpaceX has delayed this particular launch... (Delayed from April 6, Sept. 30, Nov. 11, Dec. 9, Jan. 15, Feb. 11 and Feb. 22.)

Not sure when you arrive into the PC area, but if you are here the night of the 20th you will have an excellent view from anywhere near the Port. The beach at jetty park is a good viewing spot. Others also pull off the road along SR 528 as well as the road that goes to the DCL terminal. Just please be careful if you do this, the traffic gets heavy sometimes and I've seen kids a little too close to the road for my comfort as I drove by.

That website is notorious for not getting updated quickly... use this one instead: http://spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

That website updates ASAP after changes are made. The launch originally scheduled on the 22nd was SpaceX and there's no chance it will be moved back to the 22nd, sorry :( The "new" launch on the night of the 20th with an airforce payload actually had its launch window extended since SpaceX told the Eastern Range they weren't going to launch on the 22nd. If I count correctly, this is the 7th time SpaceX has delayed this particular launch... (Delayed from April 6, Sept. 30, Nov. 11, Dec. 9, Jan. 15, Feb. 11 and Feb. 22.)

Not sure when you arrive into the PC area, but if you are here the night of the 20th you will have an excellent view from anywhere near the Port. The beach at jetty park is a good viewing spot. Others also pull off the road along SR 528 as well as the road that goes to the DCL terminal. Just please be careful if you do this, the traffic gets heavy sometimes and I've seen kids a little too close to the road for my comfort as I drove by.

We don't drive in until the 22nd:sad1:. We are stopping in Jacksonville on the 21st. Hoping for a early launch on March 1st we are leaving that day!

Thanks! Very useful information. I can still make it for the 20th Feb launch, just not onboard the ship though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!