Possible to only bring a carryon to Disney?

Please share your secrets on what you pack in the carry-on to last you the whole vacation. I'm a terrible packer and bring everything but the kitchen sink. Even the 3 night trip we did in January, I brought 2 suitcases and a couple carry-on for 3 people.
Oh my. I'd have no idea how to fill that much luggage. We pack what we need and are fine with wearing things like jeans 2-3 times. I roll my clothes to save space.

We had to pack a lot in December, because the weather changed daily. I can imagine it would be much easier to just carry on during other times of year.

Please share your secrets on what you pack in the carry-on to last you the whole vacation. I'm a terrible packer and bring everything but the kitchen sink. Even the 3 night trip we did in January, I brought 2 suitcases and a couple carry-on for 3 people.

So for our trip, I'm planning to bring one pair of leggings (wear multiple times if chilly), two pairs of shorts, four tee shirts, one cardigan, one zip up hoodie sweatshirt (which I will wear on the plane), flip flops, sneakers (wear on the plane), 6 pairs of underwear, one bra, one pair of shorts and three tank tops for sleeping. My husband will wear jeans and sneakers on the plane, bring two pairs of shorts, three tee shirts, one sweatshirt (wear on plane), four pairs of boxers, three undershirts for sleeping. All of that will easily fit into one carryon. I'll also bring my hair dryer, a brush, my makeup, and toiletries. I can overflow into a tote bag as my "personal item" if I need to. It's really just about if you can get by with less for a few days for the convenience of less bags.

OP Maybe you could consider sending the quantities needed of all your body care items in small bottles to the resort in advance of your trip? You would be amazed at what you can fit in the boxes that the postal service has available for a set fee - my personal favorite is the long, medium size and its less than $12 to ship it, the large size is less than $18 I think. By thinking ahead of what you would need for your short trip, transferring it to small bottles from the bottles you might already have, throw in small tubes of toothpaste/toothbrushes that are used and ready to be thrown out etc you would free up space in your carry on and the 3-1-1 quart bag each of you are allowed. I love being able to mail boxes ahead of time :)

I've never mailed anything to the resort in advance before. I know people do it all the time so maybe I'll give that a try.

I can't remember if we had to check a bag for a 4 night trip in December. I think no - we wore pants and our winter coats on the plane, did not bring swim suits, so just had a change of shoes and a few more pairs of pants and shirts, plus a few shorts and shirts.

For warm weather it's no problem. I don't bring things like makeup or wrinkle release, usually only have an extra pair of sneakers and sandals. Shorts and T shirts don't take up much room, nor does a swimsuit and cover up. I've done a 5 night trip with just a carryon and my personal bag.

I haven't read all the replies, but we did carry on only when I went with my then 5 year old DD. It was sufficient space, and we used a backapck as our personal item to add flexibility. I ordered a bottle of sunscreen from walmart and had it shipped to the resort. Added a pair of new PJS for DD and a few snack items to qualify for free shipping. We just gave the remaining sunscreen to someone checking in, and they seemed very grateful! It was a win win for us. We really enjoyed packing light and will be trying to do so each trip from now on. It was very free-ing.

I haven't read all the replies, but we did carry on only when I went with my then 5 year old DD. It was sufficient space, and we used a backapck as our personal item to add flexibility. I ordered a bottle of sunscreen from walmart and had it shipped to the resort. Added a pair of new PJS for DD and a few snack items to qualify for free shipping. We just gave the remaining sunscreen to someone checking in, and they seemed very grateful! It was a win win for us. We really enjoyed packing light and will be trying to do so each trip from now on. It was very free-ing.

What a nice idea to pass along the unused sunscreen! I'm definitely going to do that, thanks!

For a 3 night trip? :faint:

we've done carryon only for a 12 day trip in the past,just did laundry half way thru.... we have an upcoming 4 day trip- planning on just carryons for that- bring your sunscreen in multiple smaller bottles in a baggie, no problem. Packing light isn't hard once the kids are older IMHO- we all rewear jeans/shorts anyway- and small things are easily rinsed in the sink if needed, laundry room is there if we have a laundry emergency

One way to become a better packer is to make a list of everything you brought last time. Cross off all the things you didn't use on your trip, or at least could have gotten by without using. Take a look at the remaining list with a very critical eye, and try to narrow it down further.

As for toiletries, I don't ever take full sizes of anything. I take whatever's available in a travel size, and I try to consolidate where possible. For instance, i don't pack a face sunscreen and moisturizer and foundation - I use a BB cream when traveling. That's one small tube. I don't use my regular shampoo and conditioner, I take individual packets of Wen, or something from the drugstore in a travel size. It won't ruin my hair to use something different for a few days. Travel size deodorant from the drug store. I use whatever soap or body wash they have at the resort. I buy sunscreen at the resort. I take as few cosmetics as possible, in as small a size as possible. I just pick neutral shades of eyeshadow and lipstick that go with anything. If it doesn't fit in a small cosmetic bag, it doesn't go.

Oh my. I'd have no idea how to fill that much luggage. We pack what we need and are fine with wearing things like jeans 2-3 times. I roll my clothes to save space.

It was rainy. Cool and rainy at check in and very cold that night. The next day was cool with the night cold. The third day was warm with a cool night. I brought layers and extra clothing because I knew or pants would be getting wet. At least when it's warm or hot and rainy, shorts are in order and are hidden under a poncho. Only feet get wet. Our shoes and pants bottoms were soaked that check in day. There were even heaters up outside for CM at OPR. Us Floridian don't know how to handle cold like northerners. I even wore a winter coat one night.

I use carry-ons for trips 4 nights and under. I usually have a small suitcase and a backpack. I do a quart ziplock with sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant (mine's liquid), 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, body lotion and face lotion. For the lotions I fill the tiny round pill containers with each lotion. It's enough to get me through. I am very pale and burn easily and don't use the entire tube of sunscreen on a short trip. (Only use it on my face, ears and shoulders if exposed.) My face lotion has SPF in it as well. You can also get tiny packs of sunscreen from First Aid in every park if you run out. I agree with PP about shipping items. It might be easiest to order a tube of sunscreen from Amazon and have it delivered to your resort.

For a 3 night trip? :faint:

Yep. I'm the worse packer ever!

One way to become a better packer is to make a list of everything you brought last time. Cross off all the things you didn't use on your trip, or at least could have gotten by without using. Take a look at the remaining list with a very critical eye, and try to narrow it down further.

As for toiletries, I don't ever take full sizes of anything. I take whatever's available in a travel size, and I try to consolidate where possible. For instance, i don't pack a face sunscreen and moisturizer and foundation - I use a BB cream when traveling. That's one small tube. I don't use my regular shampoo and conditioner, I take individual packets of Wen, or something from the drugstore in a travel size. It won't ruin my hair to use something different for a few days. Travel size deodorant from the drug store. I use whatever soap or body wash they have at the resort. I buy sunscreen at the resort. I take as few cosmetics as possible, in as small a size as possible. I just pick neutral shades of eyeshadow and lipstick that go with anything. If it doesn't fit in a small cosmetic bag, it doesn't go.

Thanks. I had all full size toiletries. Make up fit in a very small bag. I made a list, but then added a suitcase the morning we left of things I might need. I definitely didn't use everything I packed.

My mom and I only travel with carry-ons and we usually stay at Disney for a minimum of 5 nights. I use packing cubes (like from ebags.com) to help condense our clothes to make room for stuff like souvenirs. Also, I have my backpack that I use for travel between home and Disney and try to fit stuff in there too. Like my jacket since we visit in the Winter, snacks for the plane, and popcorn bucket because we end up buying one everytime we go. haha

I only carry basic toiletries since I don't wear make up and I buy anything I need more of at the resort. I never finish my sunscreen tube when at WDW,but it's easy to them around Disney property.

Last edited:
Thanks. I had all full size toiletries. Make up fit in a very small bag. I made a list, but then added a suitcase the morning we left of things I might need. I definitely didn't use everything I packed.

I think making up a list helps a lot, because that's what keeps you from the "I might need this...". I have a standard packing list that I keep on my iPad; I use it for any trip, anywhere, and only make slight modifications for specific trips. It makes packing go really quickly, too.

Actually, I think what makes an over-packer into a light packer is changing your packing mindset from "I might need...." to "I can't live without this for a few days." I only take things that I can't get by without. Medications, obviously. Chargers for my phone and iPad. Reading glasses. Body lotion? It won't kill me to not have it for a few days. Slippers? Nah, the same flip-flops I use for going to the pool will do fine.

My mom and I only travel with carry-ons and we usually stay at Disney for a minimum of 5 nights. I use packing cubes (like from ebags.com) to help condense our clothes to make room for stuff like souvenirs. Also, I have my backpack that I use for travel between home and Disney and try to fit stuff in there too. Like my jacket since we visit in the Winter, snacks for the plane, and popcorn bucket because we end up buying one everytime we go. haha

I only carry basic toiletries since I don't wear make up and I buy anything I need more of at the resort. I never finish my sunscreen tube when at WDW,but it's easy to them around Disney property.

I just bought a set of packing cubes on Amazon! I'm hopeful they'll be useful for packing on this trip and for condensing our stroller crap on our next trip with our daughter.

I am an underpacker. I cannot stand the thought of dragging a bunch of luggage around. (My mom is a SUPREME overpacker, she drives me crazy.)
I lay everything out and plan clothes that work together, so if something gets wet or stained or its warmer than I thought, no big deal the entire outfit isnt ruined, just swap in something else. Layers are essential. Multiple tank tops that match multiple cardigans or a solid black or grey hoodie that goes with several things. Pajamas can be worn twice. (I do ALWAYS overpack on underwear though. But they are small and take up no room.) I take 1-2 tide pods with me just incase I end up doing a load of laundry. I don't think its awful to repeat an outfit on vacation if it saves me space and money on baggage fees.
Toiletries are simple to downsize. Do you need an entire 6oz jar of facecream? Nope, get a contact case and fill both sides with moisturizer or whatever you only going to need a little bit of. Most makeup has smaller travel sizes or palettes. I have a nice Tarte palette with 6 eyeshadows, a blush, a bronzer, and a highlighter. Bam, toss that in the bag. I consolidate things with my teenage daughter. We can both use the same hairbrush for a week. Same for shampoo/conditioner. We decide which hair styling products we'll both use and only bring those. We bring one stick of deoderant. I put everything in a makeup bag 2-3 days before and only use out of the bag for a couple days to make sure I didn't forget anything.
Make a very small first aid kit, with just a few of each thing. Don't bring a whole bottle of Ibuprofen, bring, say 6. A couple benedryl tabs, etc. You can definitely be prepared for "what ifs" without bringing too much stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter