Possible Additions/Changes to WDW Transportation

Why don't they just expand the monorail? :duck::stir:

Monorail is very expensive, but too it's not as efficient from a crowd handling standpoint or from a time standpoint when you factor in all the Resorts.

There have been many designs over the years... From a Monorail loop to the parks and light rail to each resort from the hub at each Park resort area hub. To a complete light rail system that worked more along the lines of an elevator system. But in most all cases... they could build two new theme parks for the price of these transportation system.

At this point they probably have their eyes on a future bus system without drivers.... wouldn't be too hard even today, if they could remove other traffic from the roads.

Lol...I was a FD OPS and a GSM for a couple of years during that period...

...I feel like we used to have intimate conversations with each other at one time or another...
;)

Ha! Interesting. I did a couple of different things at DRC, but most of the time I was a Training Facilitator (aka Trainer). I loved doing the New Hire classes, but hated all the office politics. Plus, DRC was on mandatory overtime basically the entire time I worked there due to the hiring freeze instituted after 9/11.

I also did a temporary assignment as a Magic Music Days host based in the Magic Kingdom office. That was the best job I've ever had, despite being outside all day. If it hadn't been temporary, I'd have stayed many more years.

Ha! Interesting. I did a couple of different things at DRC, but most of the time I was a Training Facilitator (aka Trainer). I loved doing the New Hire classes, but hated all the office politics. Plus, DRC was on mandatory overtime basically the entire time I worked there due to the hiring freeze instituted after 9/11.

I also did a temporary assignment as a Magic Music Days host based in the Magic Kingdom office. That was the best job I've ever had, despite being outside all day. If it hadn't been temporary, I'd have stayed many more years.

Delete...wrong post

Monorail is very expensive, but too it's not as efficient from a crowd handling standpoint or from a time standpoint when you factor in all the Resorts.

There have been many designs over the years... From a Monorail loop to the parks and light rail to each resort from the hub at each Park resort area hub. To a complete light rail system that worked more along the lines of an elevator system. But in most all cases... they could build two new theme parks for the price of these transportation system.

At this point they probably have their eyes on a future bus system without drivers.... wouldn't be too hard even today, if they could remove other traffic from the roads.

Attention!!

You have activated the sarcasm defense grid...
STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this would be a very short sighted solution to the Disney transportation problem?

Disney freaking OWNS all the land that they set on. They even setup their own town to avoid any possible ordinance rules. They only interact with two state/federal roads, I4 and US192.

This problem can and will be solved by fully automated vehicles. The two biggest problem in automated vehicles is human drivers and road markings. Guess what? Disney can solve both of them. The could easily, and fairly cheaply remark all the roads on their owned properties to support automated vehicles, then create a massive parking lot, say at the US192 and I4 interchange and force all people to park there and transfer to automated transportation (yes I know this would piss many people off, but they can be accommodated with special vehicles for transporting luggage/supplies/etc). Magical Express could be a hybrid that until it gets to the "entrance" is human driven then is taken over by an automated driver.

The efficiency that could be attained is crazy. You could do this with busses, vans, cars, even the mini cars. You could request transportation that fits your party. Heck they could even convert to fully electric at the same time. This would greatly speed up transportation. You have the automated busses run like they do now (but more often now that they are automated) and then you have an "add-on" service that you can request any other form of transportation to/from any destination within the Disney property. They could even do "surge pricing" like uber for times like park closes or opens.

I just don't see any place like Disney not moving to a fully automated system and it's much, much cheaper to do automated vehicles than light rail. Automated vehicles also have much greater flexibility than rail does.

Anyway, just my idea and where I see Disney eventually getting to.

Am I the only one who thinks this would be a very short sighted solution to the Disney transportation problem?

Disney freaking OWNS all the land that they set on. They even setup their own town to avoid any possible ordinance rules. They only interact with two state/federal roads, I4 and US192.

This problem can and will be solved by fully automated vehicles. The two biggest problem in automated vehicles is human drivers and road markings. Guess what? Disney can solve both of them. The could easily, and fairly cheaply remark all the roads on their owned properties to support automated vehicles, then create a massive parking lot, say at the US192 and I4 interchange and force all people to park there and transfer to automated transportation (yes I know this would piss many people off, but they can be accommodated with special vehicles for transporting luggage/supplies/etc). Magical Express could be a hybrid that until it gets to the "entrance" is human driven then is taken over by an automated driver.

The efficiency that could be attained is crazy. You could do this with busses, vans, cars, even the mini cars. You could request transportation that fits your party. Heck they could even convert to fully electric at the same time. This would greatly speed up transportation. You have the automated busses run like they do now (but more often now that they are automated) and then you have an "add-on" service that you can request any other form of transportation to/from any destination within the Disney property. They could even do "surge pricing" like uber for times like park closes or opens.

I just don't see any place like Disney not moving to a fully automated system and it's much, much cheaper to do automated vehicles than light rail. Automated vehicles also have much greater flexibility than rail does.

Anyway, just my idea and where I see Disney eventually getting to.

Sounds like a....oh, I dunno,....maybe Peoplemover...system? Time to make the Disney Transit Authority a reality!

Makes me wonder if this could be at least a 2 fold issue with WDW. 1. Are they considering taxis on property for revenue. 2. Are they concerned with UBER drivers on property maybe causing issue from a safety factor
Just food for thought

I also received this survey and like the OP was taken aback at the notion of Magic Express potentially going away. I obviously don't know that will be the case, but it definitely raised my brow a bit when it inquired if I would be interested in a paid option to and from the airport. Hopefully it would be an additional service, but it does make me wonder. As to the paid resort to resort option - that would be fine if the price is reasonable. I do use Uber for resort to resort transport as well as to Universal. It is all very interesting!

I also received this survey and like the OP was taken aback at the notion of Magic Express potentially going away. I obviously don't know that will be the case, but it definitely raised my brow a bit when it inquired if I would be interested in a paid option to and from the airport. Hopefully it would be an additional service, but it does make me wonder. As to the paid resort to resort option - that would be fine if the price is reasonable. I do use Uber for resort to resort transport as well as to Universal. It is all very interesting!

So then how you get to WDW from MCO/Bright line train?

Disney and GM are partners and GM did just invest heavily into Lyft, maybe there is something in the works

I sit in bumper to bumper traffic for about 2.5 hours a day and I'd still rather drive than wait forever for a bus any time. I don't want to make this a drive vs Disney transportation thread but there are viable alternatives.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I cannot tell you how many times I've had to hold one of my sleeping children in my arms on an evening bus ride back to my hotel room STANDING on the bus. I'm a 5'3" woman no less, holding a child that is half my weight.

There were a couple of trips that I went without my husband - Just my daughter and I - Of course bought her way too much at the parks and was not only burdened with her weight on me, but also struggled the whole ride holding the Disney bags and her stroller.

Totally shocked that no one offered a seat, and there were definitely able-bodied men that could have offered one. Chivalry is dead.

Anyhow, after several of those experiences, I now just rent a car. I hate waiting for 20-30 minutes for the bus to come only to stand the whole way. Doesn't always happen, but happens enough.

We have never used Magical Express to get from MCO to our resort. Our modes of transportation are a rental car, taxi, or limo service. We're excited to get our vacation started and from everything we've read, ME is too slow. On a couple of occasions, we have use ME to get from our resort to MCO when we leave. It's adequate but slower than we like.

In May, we used Magical Express to go to the Grand Floridian. On the plane we met a couple who were also going there. They were renting a car and offered to take us to the Resort. We declined. We checked in, went to our room, came back down to the lobby and met the couple who rented a car. Magical Express is not always the "slower" option.

In May, we used Magical Express to go to the Grand Floridian. On the plane we met a couple who were also going there. They were renting a car and offered to take us to the Resort. We declined. We checked in, went to our room, came back down to the lobby and met the couple who rented a car. Magical Express is not always the "slower" option.

Well there are some variables in that situation.

Maybe they got lost?
Maybe they stopped somewhere on the way to get a bite to eat?

Well there are some variables in that situation.

Maybe they got lost?
Maybe they stopped somewhere on the way to get a bite to eat?

Maybe there was a long line at the rental car counter. That's why they said "not always".

I read a blog post a while back where a couple split up at the airport and one took ME and the other a rental car and for them, the ME was faster.

I'm sure it's not always the case but that time it was, by something like 30 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter