• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure to check the safe also to make sure it latched. There was one time I heard the lock pulled out with the key. So it was still unlocked. CMs were superfast on replacing it.

I was just checking out your link to your poly trip. I saw the Jessie doll pic. Funny story...we bought that for my DD during our Dec 2011 trip at WL. The doll would not shut up! It kept talking throughout the night. We stuffed it in a drawer and wrapped clothes around it so we wouldn't hear it. We took it back the next day. My 5 year old DD loved it, but my 12 year old DS thought it was creepy and possessed. :lmao:!

They will leave towels too? That's all ill need really, I'm bringing all shampoo soap etc... I'd rather not have them in my room if I can help it.

The whole time we were there the end of May, my parents room and our room we never had mousekeeping in there (had the do not disturb sign on the door the whole time). We either caught them in the morning or they left a bag on the door with everything in it. We preferred to not have any one in our room when we were not there. But we still did lock things up in the luggage, just in case.

Thanks so much for this report! I'm so excited! We will be arriving on Monday for our first Disney trip ever! Yay! Can't wait. I hope we have a fridge too. Thanks for the tip on the pizza, what a great deal, we will have to do that one night. The surrey bike is something I'd like to do with my hb and kids too, think that will be fun, and for 22 bucks, can't beat that! Glad you had an awesome time!

My son and parents split a whole pizza twice and it seems to be the best priced pizza in WDW over all. Good size for a good price (we paid OOP)

So have done all parks now and I'm checking out on Saturday morning and moving to a hotel near Universal for a week so I can visit them and seaworld etc.

To sum up everything, Hollywood Studios is my favourite park! Tower of terror is awesome! It is definitely in my top 5 favourite rides. Star Tours is amazing, fast queues as I never needed a fast pass nor spend more than 15 minutes queuing.

My second favourite park is Epcot. I went yesterday and got completely soaked by loved being able to walk on to Mission Space and Test Track quickly.

I agree that Magic Kingdom is too much and that I shouldn't have started with it I also learned from going to Animal Kingdom today that seeing animals isn't my thing.

Not sure what to do on my last day tomorrow. I finally got to spend two uninterrupted in the pool today and it is not to shallow, not too deep.

As for POR,I love it! I have had food at the food court for one meal each day. Breakfast is amazing and I haven't run out of choices yet when I have lunch or dinner. Also the price is good and the staff are so friendly.

Room location as I said before is great, except my new neighbours are a bit too much! Yesterday I came back to my room for a nap and was woken by crying out in the walk way. The mother next door was spray tanning her 5 or 6 year old daughter and the poor girl was crying her eyes out as her brother could go to the pool. On the other side is a group of guys who seem to be testing how well their livers work based on the amount of bottles of alcohol that housekeeping is bringing out everyday.

Had to post a quick update...the cords did "turn up" in a pocket that was overlooked twice! Wow now my friend feels like an idiot, but she did go down to the desk and apologize. Another perfect day!!

Had to post a quick update...the cords did "turn up" in a pocket that was overlooked twice! Wow now my friend feels like an idiot, but she did go down to the desk and apologize. Another perfect day!!

Glad to hear that, especially since chargers are the most often left behind items in hotel rooms, so to have one stolen seemed a bit odd.

Thanks for the update!

Not feelings tons of pixie dust as a first timer to POR. .

Unfortunately, you have chosen to visit during an off-peak time (hence why Disney offers free dining deals at this time of year) so you do need to expect some maintenance to be going on - they have to do the work sometime, and off-peak inconveniences the least number of people. Sadly though, you are one of those people.

The bridge (well, one bridge out of the three) over to the island is closed daytime-only for a few days for decking replacement. It should probably be done by today or tomorrow I'd have thought. The pool lifeguards (and hence the slide too) usually finish at 8pm, or 10pm during peak summer periods. The pools are still open (and yes, they do have to shut the whole pool at least once a year for routine maintenance) but they do shut the slide and water features when there is no one on duty. The lifeguards might be on duty longer at the weekend, but I can't say for sure.

The campfire firepit is being updated (I believe to fit in with safety regulations, but I'm not sure). It's due to re-open sometime mid/late September after a month's downtime, but the exact date is a bit flexible as some of the work is weather dependent. In the meantime, the POFQ one is lovely and the resort is worth a visit anyway (if you don't fancy the walk ask if they can take you over there for the firepit, or get the water ferry).

The aircon in the laundry seems a relatively small point unless you want to set up camp in there, but I guess on top of the other things it's an extra annoyance for you - however again, they do need to do work sometime.

Towel animals are a nice bit of pixie dust if you get them, but not a listed room feature as far as I recall so it'd be hard to make a complaint based on that.

And do remember that these same sorts of jobs needs to be done at Values and Deluxes, so it could just as easily happen to you there. Well, apart from the pool slide anyway, the Values don't have one to close.

Andre

I was just checking out your link to your poly trip. I saw the Jessie doll pic. Funny story...we bought that for my DD during our Dec 2011 trip at WL. The doll would not shut up! It kept talking throughout the night. We stuffed it in a drawer and wrapped clothes around it so we wouldn't hear it. We took it back the next day. My 5 year old DD loved it, but my 12 year old DS thought it was creepy and possessed. :lmao:!

See I knew it. I just knew it. I can just see a Disney/Stephen King Movie there. Thanks for checking the trip out.

Make sure to check the safe also to make sure it latched. There was one time I heard the lock pulled out with the key. So it was still unlocked. CMs were superfast on replacing it.

Thanks for the tip! I know the locks are sometimes funky on those safes...the deluxe ones that are electronic or easy peasy! Wish they were all over. Oh well! I'll take what I get in that respect. I will just be happy to be back! We have stayed at all the resort levels POP, POR, Poly, Contemporary and AKV. My kids chose to go back to POR over any! So it definitely says something about the resort! (They would have chosen AKV again for the savannah view but it was too costly this time.) But, they love it there! 38 days and counting!!!

Hi Andrew & Venomhatch (and some of the other very wise and experienced ones)! Thank you so much for this thread. We are complete newbies to WDW and to POR so this is all very helpful.

I think I asked before but my question got buried so I don't think it was answered (if it was, I am really sorry for asking again).

We are arriving at POR at the end of October (23rd). It is DH, myself and our twin girls who will be turning 7 while we are there (they are SO excited, as are we). We have booked a RGR-River View. I do have a few questions:

1. We will probably request an upper floor so we don't have to worry about noise from above us and possibly a corner room (not sure why). Anything else you think we should request? Our girls will love the pools but we don't mind walking a bit to get to them. I was thinking access to the main building or a good bus depot would be more important. As for the view from the room, I am assuming we'll have a nice one with the River view. Any thoughts on which building to request (if any)?

2. My sister is travelling with us but has booked a standard room (the cheapest room possible) as she is travelling solo. She obviously won't be in one of the two buildings that have the RGRs but what building would you suggest she request to be a bit closer to us?

Thank you SO much again. Our family can't wait to get to WDW and experience it for the first time.

Unfortunately, you have chosen to visit during an off-peak time (hence why Disney offers free dining deals at this time of year) so you do need to expect some maintenance to be going on - they have to do the work sometime, and off-peak inconveniences the least number of people. Sadly though, you are one of those people.

The bridge (well, one bridge out of the three) over to the island is closed daytime-only for a few days for decking replacement. It should probably be done by today or tomorrow I'd have thought. The pool lifeguards (and hence the slide too) usually finish at 8pm, or 10pm during peak summer periods. The pools are still open (and yes, they do have to shut the whole pool at least once a year for routine maintenance) but they do shut the slide and water features when there is no one on duty. The lifeguards might be on duty longer at the weekend, but I can't say for sure.

The campfire firepit is being updated (I believe to fit in with safety regulations, but I'm not sure). It's due to re-open sometime mid/late September after a month's downtime, but the exact date is a bit flexible as some of the work is weather dependent. In the meantime, the POFQ one is lovely and the resort is worth a visit anyway (if you don't fancy the walk ask if they can take you over there for the firepit, or get the water ferry).

The aircon in the laundry seems a relatively small point unless you want to set up camp in there, but I guess on top of the other things it's an extra annoyance for you - however again, they do need to do work sometime.

Towel animals are a nice bit of pixie dust if you get them, but not a listed room feature as far as I recall so it'd be hard to make a complaint based on that.

And do remember that these same sorts of jobs needs to be done at Values and Deluxes, so it could just as easily happen to you there. Well, apart from the pool slide anyway, the Values don't have one to close.

Andre

Love it. Disney cast member training is the best in the world in regards to customer service. However, they are real people too and can't please everyone. I've never been able to in real life:confused3 Sometimes things hit people just wrong though, especially if you are trying to hit a particular benefit and it's not there. At that point one can choose frustration or be flexible and find other hidden magic.:dance3:

Good point! I guess there is a price for everything (no free lunch, right?)

The bridge (well, one bridge out of the three) over to the island is closed daytime-only for a few days for decking replacement. It should probably be done by today or tomorrow I'd have thought.

This isn't that big of an issue. It was however the first day that we were trying to get to the marina for our kids' pirate adventure. I called the front desk to see the best detour route (we did not realize there was another bridge just down the side walk that went to the lobby and bypassed the island) and the front desk told us there was no other way except the island or walking the perimeter. Maybe it was a language barrier?

The pool lifeguards (and hence the slide too) usually finish at 8pm, or 10pm during peak summer periods. The pools are still open (and yes, they do have to shut the whole pool at least once a year for routine maintenance) but they do shut the slide and water features when there is no one on duty. The lifeguards might be on duty longer at the weekend, but I can't say for sure.

A sign stating the times would be helpful, but now we know and hopefully those about to checkin at POR will know as well and not plan on swim/slide time after that like we've unfortunately done.

Again, not a huge deal, but still an inconvenience. The only time we went to FQ at night, we had a hard time getting back to POR. It's more of us being here for the first time and not familiar with all the small details.

This was just my 'proverbial straw.' I was super irritated by the pool and campfire situations that we had just missed (after planning for a 'downtime' afternoon for these things and laundry) and then I get to the laundry facility and its 7 degrees hotter than hades.

Andre

Very good point. Next time I will know more about the resorts in general and what's really important for our family.

We are booking for January, with a royal guest room....location wise is this one of the better choices...and compared to the standard room is it worth the extra couple of dollars?? I am loving this thread, the information is great,

Good point! I guess there is a price for everything (no free lunch, right?)

This isn't that big of an issue. It was however the first day that we were trying to get to the marina for our kids' pirate adventure. I called the front desk to see the best detour route (we did not realize there was another bridge just down the side walk that went to the lobby and bypassed the island) and the front desk told us there was no other way except the island or walking the perimeter. Maybe it was a language barrier?

A sign stating the times would be helpful, but now we know and hopefully those about to checkin at POR will know as well and not plan on swim/slide time after that like we've unfortunately done.

Again, not a huge deal, but still an inconvenience. The only time we went to FQ at night, we had a hard time getting back to POR. It's more of us being here for the first time and not familiar with all the small details.

This was just my 'proverbial straw.' I was super irritated by the pool and campfire situations that we had just missed (after planning for a 'downtime' afternoon for these things and laundry) and then I get to the laundry facility and its 7 degrees hotter than hades.

Very good point. Next time I will know more about the resorts in general and what's really important for our family.

HI
I can understand your fustration but YOUR ON VACATION sit back and enjoy! Its better than being at home. I will be there in 8 days so ezxcited!!!! :)

We are booking for January, with a royal guest room....location wise is this one of the better choices...

You don't really book Royal Rooms for the location (some of them are quite far from the main areas in fact) but for the rooms themselves and the little details. Especially if you have younger children, the Royal Rooms are great fun.

Andre

Sadly, I think we are going to have to cancel our October 19 trip.

Has anyone visited in March? How are the crowds and the weather? Trying to avoid spring break, which for us is mid April.

For the future, calling the "front desk" at any wdw resort does not get you the front desk. It gets you to a call center that is likely out of state staffed by people who might never have even been to Florida. They simply don't know what it's truly like at the resorts.

And also for the future...and please know that I know this the same way you will and I know what it feels like (disastrous stay at Jambo in 2010 then a rotten time trying to get back to resort at universal in 2012 or 2011)), almost all the info needed for a stay is given to you at checkin. The map in your checkin folder should show you the paths around the resort. The schedule of events should have given the info about where things were being held and probably even the slide hours.

And I know from our very first resort stay, at CBR, that their slide closes too at a certain point in the evening. I expect it's the same at all resorts because the lifeguards leave.

When I got home and saw the map of Jambo to Kidani, after the walking path caused the start of big issues that caused my stay to be rather cruddy, I resolved to read what they give us ASAP. And then I realized a year or so later that I'd been neglecting that when I found info I had really needed while at citywalk, in the pamphlet provided to us at checkin. I hope that helps you in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter