Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone else it seems our little one is turning for the better. We just went to the food court and she ate a full meal. No sicky. Quiet night up here at he food court.

Happy to hear that, Venom! Hope you have a great rest of your vacation.

Never stayed in a disney resort (good neighbor hotels only) but booked the Port Orleans Royal room for our 1st World visit after telling the Disney Reservation lady we wanted the "Disney-ist" room possible in our budget. Very excited after seeing all the pictures! We will not be going to the park our first day (april 15) so any reccomendations on activities at or near POR?

You could do mini golf at either Winter Summerland or Fantasia Golf Course.
(I believe you get one or two rounds free if you are on the dining plan.)

What linens are on the beds? I know a comforter, as we see them in the pictures (and I assume they are the generic stiff polyester that every hotel uses), and pillows. Can someone list from comforter down and a basic description of the items?

And are extras provided in the room or do we have to call for them?

Venomhatch said:
Ok so we are on day two and I got pics and videos of the requested areas only because our little one got food poisoning from "Be Our Guest", the only thing she ate the night before and the Disney referred clinic confirms the Cornish hen was not cooked properly. So today at 3:15 am our little girl started getting sick constantly. Around 4pm she finally was able to eat some grapes and drink some power aide and keep that down. We returned to the room right after where we woke after a nap and she has now been since 12 noon no sick moments just tired. Point being avoid the Cornish hen for now. I had the strip steak and my fiancé had the same and we're fine. I am sorry I have not been on here more today but its been first priority to her and when she was settled down this morning and resting I went out and snapped the photos and vids real quick. PM me if you have more photo requests and ill see what I can do.

Oh also for future guests... If you or someone in your group is not well, they will cancel your dining and tour ressies on that circumstance alone for no charge on the same day. So if your not well they won't force you to keep your same day reservations.

Oh no!!! I hope the worst is over, and you can all go back to enjoying your vacation.

Venom !!! Wishing the little one all the best (and you too of course) for someone who helps so many karma should be nicer !!! Hope tomorrow on is clear sailing and disney magic !

What linens are on the beds? I know a comforter, as we see them in the pictures (and I assume they are the generic stiff polyester that every hotel uses), and pillows. Can someone list from comforter down and a basic description of the items?

Under the comforter there is a sheet and fairly thin blanket. They are, well, sheet-like and blanket-like...

Andre

Looks like things are looking up for the little one. Ready to restart the vacation.

Thank you all showing your support and wishes!

And are extras provided in the room or do we have to call for them?

Mousekeeping stops by daily, unless you put out the DND sign. In that case, you can check with a Mousekeeper working in that area for extra supplies.

You can also call by pressing the Mousekeeping button on the phone, if you need additional supplies or items that may not have been restocked that day or if you need extras.

I always need extra pillows!

Mousekeeping stops by daily, unless you put out the DND sign. In that case, you can check with a Mousekeeper working in that area for extra supplies.

You can also call by pressing the Mousekeeping button on the phone, if you need additional supplies or items that may not have been restocked that day or if you need extras.

I always need extra pillows!

One thing I noticed since the refurb, the DND signs do no stay on the handles too well with the slightest breeze they come off.

So stick them on there some how with those free Mickey stickers as you check in

Venomhatch said:
Looks like things are looking up for the little one. Ready to restart the vacation.

Hopefully, today will be much more magical than yesterday was!!

Venomhatch, I am so glad she is feeling better today!! We've been at WDW 2 times with stomach illness (airborne in our case, not food poisoning) and its so sad. :worried:

Here's hoping the rest of your trip goes smoothly!! :wizard:

And thanks for the info about Magic Band testing (if anyone has seen me on the Theme Park Board, you know its an obsession of mine :blush:)

So glad to hear she is feeling better. We had multiple illness during our stay with our extended family, and my daughter got strep throat unfortunately. Enjoy the rest of your vacay. :goodvibes

I have been reading these posts for months. We are leaving next MOnday for 5 days in a royal room at POR. We will be celebrating our daughters 5th birthday, our 4th anniversary as a forever family and her first real Disney trip after extensive surgery on her feet. I am not sure what room we are getting but just looking for advice. I am looking at renting a good stroller while there as I know she will get tired from walking. What kinds of things can we do for some down time at POR? Any advice on making the best trip possible? We will be getting there on a Tues morning and will be heading straight to MK after checking in. Sweet girl has experienced a lot in her little but blessed beyond belief. Just trying to created some sweet memories for her!

Ok so we are on day two and I got pics and videos of the requested areas only because our little one got food poisoning from "Be Our Guest", the only thing she ate the night before and the Disney referred clinic confirms the Cornish hen was not cooked properly. So today at 3:15 am our little girl started getting sick constantly. Around 4pm she finally was able to eat some grapes and drink some power aide and keep that down. We returned to the room right after where we woke after a nap and she has now been since 12 noon no sick moments just tired. Point being avoid the Cornish hen for now. I had the strip steak and my fiancé had the same and we're fine. I am sorry I have not been on here more today but its been first priority to her and when she was settled down this morning and resting I went out and snapped the photos and vids real quick. PM me if you have more photo requests and ill see what I can do.

Oh also for future guests... If you or someone in your group is not well, they will cancel your dining and tour ressies on that circumstance alone for no charge on the same day. So if your not well they won't force you to keep your same day reservations.

Venom, so glad your little one is better. I am so sorry you and she had to experience that, but I'm glad your vacation is getting restarted. Been there and done that with the sickness. 2009 just was not our year....each kid got sick for about a day and a half. Thank goodness my MIL was there and didn't really want to "tour" (she was happy sitting by the pool while the kids rested).

Happy rest of your vacation.

Thanks to all on this thread for making our trip a wonder one. Andre and Venom, your knowledge and willingness to help so many people is truly appreciated. I just wanted to give my impressions of POR on a pretty busy week crowd wise. You can find my full trip report at this link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3073321

We enjoyed our 6 nights at POR (Feb. 14th-20th) and were quite happy with our room ( AB, Building 17, 2nd floor, Bayou View). Very quiet location and close to laundry, a plus for a longer stay.

The room was comfortable and clean. One thing that had me scratching my head is how quickly the motion activated exhaust fan in the shower/toilet area turned off. I found myself in the shower doing some type of interpretive dance every 15 seconds so the fan would restart and evacuate the room of the steam. This may have just been the room we were in and not a resort wide thing. Anybody else find this?

The grounds themselves were very nice and it was a relaxing and relatively quick walk to the main building and Ole Man Island. I never felt like the resort was packed while walking around though I'm sure it was fully booked.

Food court choices were excellent and plentiful. I enjoyed the open feeling of the dining area and didn't feel at all crowded there even during busy times. I stated this in my full trip report above but I will ask again. Why are food courts not in any of the Deluxe resorts/ DVC's? They offer such a variety of good food that is reasonably priced by Disney standards. We enjoy our table service meals but it was nice to just get a good meal in a fair amount of time without having to book a reservation.

Ole Man Island was quite nice and a favorite of my DD8 (Shocking ,right?) Water taxi to DTD was delightful and a nice break from the other forms of transportation.

Ah, transportation. One of the sticking points to some while staying here. I will preface this by saying that we did have a rental car for our stay so the trips by car to Epcot, DHS and AK were timely and efficient. This is our preferred mode of transport around the World especially during busy times.
We thought we would leave the car keys behind for our 8 am departure to MK on Friday the 15th. Should have kept the keys in my backpack! Lines for the MK bus at the south depot were snaking back through the DHS/ Epcot shelter and towards the main entrance.(At least 100 people) We saw several buses from the other parks come and go and 1 completely full MK bus pull up and go. Even though we were fairly close to the front we thought it might be a few more buses at least before we boarded and decided that a cab to CR was the way to get to MK before opening. Got through the turnstiles just as pre-show was beginning. Didn't affect our day but I'm sure some were not happy.

Overall besides the minor issues listed above the entire stay was a great experience. Being DVC members affords us the opportunity to sample many different options on property but we enjoyed this resort so much we are staying here for 4 nights of a VWL/ POR 8 night stay at the end of August. We thought this would be an awesome way to wind down the vacation and expect to be completely satisfied again.

Thanks for reading

Bob

We have a one night garden view room only stay booked for May. We will arrive mid-afternoon by our own car and will be checking out the next day to begin our package stay at the CBR. But, we want to eat in the food court at POR and check out the resort and it's amenities that afternoon and the following day until it's time to check into the CBR.

My 79 year old mother will be with us and, while walking isn't a really big deal for her, I would like to request something a little bit closer to the food court, pool, etc. We live in a log home and the furniture in the Alligator Bayou rooms look very very similar to our son's bedroom furniture so booking preferred is out. The furniture in the other rooms look very very similar to what is in our bedroom.

All things considered, I'm wondering if it would be best for me to change our reservation to a royal room even though our son is 15 and there are no little girls in our party. This way, we'd at least be guaranteed a room in one of the two royal room buildings.

If we don't book the royal room and just keep the garden view we have booked now, do you have any suggestions on a location to request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter