Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already registered on My Disney Experience, but I don't see anywhere that it will let us choose our color. Do you think it'll only be an option on the site once it's been fully implemented?

Do you have to have tickets or a package purchased to see anything about the bands on MDE? I am registered, and we have a room only ressie and I don't see anything at all about this.

We got back yesterday morning, and had a great time! My fax must have worked, as we were placed in bld. 18! We were on the ground floor so my knee didn't yell as much and we were close to everything!

If I could change one thing, it would be the bus situation. While I loved the resort, and the room is so much bigger and nicer than at POP where we have stayed in the past, the bus pickup is better at the value. There are actual lines, so you know how many people are going where. Instead of all crowding at where you think the front of the line should be only to be run over when the bus shows up and it isn't the one you even want. If they could find a way to separate the lines so you knew how many people were really waiting it would be great. Oh, and if the bus is already full, don't go to the next stop. There were a few buses that pulled up and only one person could fit! But, that was my only real complaint, other than we weren't there long enough!!

I thought I was the only one who appreciated the bus lines at values. The benches sound good in theory.....but if you sit down, you will never get on a bus, because everyone mobs when the bus pulls up. I personally like the lines. No shoving, and the order you got there is the order you get on the bus. Also cant tell you how many times full buses passed us because they had no room. The entire bus situation was stressful, but we are going back because we loved everything else about the resort. If it gets too bad we will just drive to the parks.

Don't forget that as the buses normally do full circuits, there might be people returning and wanting to get OFF at those later stops...

Correct, MagicBands have not been launched yet.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, there are trees between the main-building's parking lot and the river bank pathway. For example, this photo was taken from somewhere along the pathway right next to Parterre Place, looking down the river in the direction of POFQ. The main parking lot is somewhere behind the trees on the right-hand side of the picture.

POR-MB-2009-9809_forum.jpg

Andre

We were typing at the same time! Andre answered my question about bands.

A blog post from Friday regarding the Magic Bands! Looks like Port Orleans will be among some of the first testers :) It also sheds some light on the customization options you might get with the bracelets.

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/03/02/disney-magicband-styles-begin-to-surface/

"Notice the holes on the inner surface of the blue MagicBand above? [.. snip ..] Similarly, there seems to be a rumor that charms (think of those plastic charm bracelets from the 80s we all loved yes, I know that theyre coming back) will also be available for purchase. The charms will connect to the Band, but its unclear as of yet how that will work being that the holes are only on the inside in most photographs. Im sure that Disney will have a special Band with holes for the charm bracelet lovers out there."

I just wanted to mention I 'jokingly' mentioned adding pins a few posts back.....

The reports of the bus service worry me as well. I stayed at ASMu and the buses weren't bad because there were designated spots for each park. There was also only one stop for the resort. I also stayed at AKL and that bus picked up KV as well. Those buses were a nightmare.

With 4 stops at POR, it could be a horrendous experience. I am actually debating changing to PORFQ because of it.

Booked our dining today. We're 180 days out. August 30th can't come soon enough.

The reports of the bus service worry me as well. I stayed at ASMu and the buses weren't bad because there were designated spots for each park. There was also only one stop for the resort. I also stayed at AKL and that bus picked up KV as well. Those buses were a nightmare.

With 4 stops at POR, it could be a horrendous experience. I am actually debating changing to PORFQ because of it.

We shared the bus with PORFQ a few times. They would pick up there first alot of times. The buses weren't horrid, but it just seemed like chaos that didn't have to be, you know? I mean, even if at the main depot they had the spots separated 1/2 for this park, 1/2 for that park so you would know who you were waiting with would have been an improvement. We did stand quite a few times, but the ride was so short it was fine. This was the first time we have stayed at a Mod, and like I said, it was fine, it was just chaos that didn't have to be.

I'm SUPER EXCITED! Hubby and I will be visiting Disney for the very first time and we had an off-site hotel booked because we couldn't afford to stay on-site. Well, it turns out that with the Spring Offer, POR is the same price as our off-site hotel and rental car! So we cancelled our hotel and car reservation and booked POR! We still have 59 days to go but I've been feeling giddy and doing the happy dance all weekend!! :banana:

"Notice the holes on the inner surface of the blue MagicBand above? [.. snip ..] Similarly, there seems to be a rumor that charms (think of those plastic charm bracelets from the 80s we all loved yes, I know that theyre coming back) will also be available for purchase. The charms will connect to the Band, but its unclear as of yet how that will work being that the holes are only on the inside in most photographs. Im sure that Disney will have a special Band with holes for the charm bracelet lovers out there."

I just wanted to mention I 'jokingly' mentioned adding pins a few posts back.....

When it comes to ways to make more profit there are no jokes! :rotfl:

I'm SUPER EXCITED! Hubby and I will be visiting Disney for the very first time and we had an off-site hotel booked because we couldn't afford to stay on-site. Well, it turns out that with the Spring Offer, POR is the same price as our off-site hotel and rental car! So we cancelled our hotel and car reservation and booked POR! We still have 59 days to go but I've been feeling giddy and doing the happy dance all weekend!! :banana:

YAY FOR YOU!!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Generally most of the closest rooms are in Oak Manor, however the very best ones are in the northern wing of Parterre Place. I suggest just requesting a room close to the main building rather than requesting either building specifically, as then they can check both options for you. If you do want to request a building, go for Oak (which is also closer for the main swimming pool). The best category to book for easy access would be Royal Room Pool View by the way, as all of those rooms are very close to the bridge over to the main building.

Andre

Thank-you, Andre. My daughter is thinking of naming her baby Andre if she finds out that she's having a boy.

Is there a taxi stand at POR's main building?

Another thing I just remembered is that you can have multiple magicbands (e.g. if you buy a new themed one later) and you can easily activate new ones via your online account. You will apparently even be able to switch them around if you wish, but only one can be your 'active' band at any given time.

What's the betting that Disney want these things to become the next Vinylmation, with special collectible and limited-edition versions being released before too long?

Andre

Yes, I completely see this being the next big thing in that department. Why have a standard band when you can have a bedazzled, charm filled, character filled, name on the front band? I have yet to read anything confirming that the bands are reusable, has anyone read anything in regards to that? I personally cannot see myself spending the extra money on something that will only be worn just on 1 vacation.

It'll be just my luck that they will come out the day before our vacation. I'm not necessarily opposed to them and don't want to start a debate here - they get heated quick - but since they are having so many problems with the app and web site, now, I fear many problems once they have everyone up and running. Computers are currently so glitchy!! But, we will make the best of it!

Not debating either ;), I think they should make the bands optional for the "glitchy" period. I personally would love to try it, but I understand why someone would rather not.

Are the busses still that bad if you are getting on it early enough to make it to RD?

webstah said:
Booked our dining today. We're 180 days out. August 30th can't come soon enough.

I see you ALWAYS go in September! We went September last year, but planning on August this time around so we don't take DS out of school...

I see you ALWAYS go in September! We went September last year, but planning on August this time around so we don't take DS out of school...

Yes, we go the Friday before Labor day every year. Summer is too hot and crowded, and we go with my sister in law and her family. They live in New Hampshire, so the kids never shared any school vacations (NH does theirs the week after everyone else for the most part) and their kids start school in mid August. They have the Friday before Labor day and Labor day off, so they miss 4 days.
Our son is 25 now, and doesn't usually go with us so we don't worry about the school schedule anymore.

ALD85 said:
Are the busses still that bad if you are getting on it early enough to make it to RD?

We went at the beginning of jan, and always went early....had no bus issues. :)

I can't figure out RD??
I just booked POR for early Feb 2014. I'm getting concerned about the bus issues. We've got a young adult with us who has never been to WDW so I hate to waste time waiting for buses in the morning. Is this a common problem at all times of the day, or just morning?

volunteeralot said:
I can't figure out RD??
I just booked POR for early Feb 2014. I'm getting concerned about the bus issues. We've got a young adult with us who has never been to WDW so I hate to waste time waiting for buses in the morning. Is this a common problem at all times of the day, or just morning?

Rope drop :)

I have yet to read anything confirming that the bands are reusable, has anyone read anything in regards to that?

Yes, they will be re-usable. In fact you can own as many as you like, but you'll only be able to have one of them set as your 'active' band at any given time (you'll be able to switch their status via the My Disney Experience site).

But I'm sure there's still lots more we've yet to find out.

Andre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter