Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Bldg 14 is the only preferred building that has been renovated. 36-38 are far away from the main building.

We have two reservations coming up at POR - 1 room-only on Sunday, 1/1, and one AP rate room plus dining for 1/2-1/6.

Few questions I'd really appreciate some feedback on:

1. We've reserved a garden room on both ressies. Trying to figure out which building I can expect, in Mansions, if we've requested a room as close to the main building as possible. We stayed in Oak Manor last year and loved it for the convenience. I know renovations there will start early in 2012 - anyone know if they're starting next week? If so, and it's unavailable, what would you recommend we request if we specifically want Mansions, will not be doing a Royal Room, and need easy access to the main building? (Access is both for convenience and ease/comfort for my DH who will have just undergone back injections this Friday - ouch.) We'd love a newly renovated room if one is available in Mansions with the garden room classification.

I dont know for sure the start or end date on renovations, but can say that I would call POR and tell them you are wanting a specific building and let them know why being close is important for your DH. I get about 25 injections in my back every 2-3 months and know it can be a little uncomfortable for a few days after. I schedule mine 2 weeks before each WDW trip!
2. We'll be arriving at POR by around 11 or 12 on Sunday, and are toying with the idea of a lazy first day swimming at the resort, then taking the boat to Downtown Disney for dinner (have reservations at Raglan Road at 6:00). My in-laws are staying off-site. Will they be able to park at POR to visit with us, and then take the boat with us to Downtown Disney? Or is POR strict about visitors and time limits on parking? Would it be better for them to park at Downtown Disney and then take the boat over to POR for the afternoon, then ride it back at dinnertime?
We always make our first day at POR lazy. We usually get unloaded, rest a little (while older children can swim if they want) then kids take showers, we take showers and then we take the boat to DTD. Our first night tradition is going to Planet Hollywood. Then we will shop around and hangout there. And YES, your friends/family can come to POR, let them know they are a visitor at the gate, then they can park their car at the front and ride the bus/boat with you. Our good friends who live in FL meet us there every time and do this with no problem. Thanks so much for your help! :flower3:

Have a great trip!

We have a reservation for the RGR first week of March. My parents now want to go for 3 nights but there are no RGR rooms available, only waterview... what are the chances of requesting a mansion room so they can at least be on the same side of the resort as us?

Yeah, you can put in a request, but do remember that these are not guaranteed. Your Royal room in March will be in Oak Manor, so get your parents to request a Magnolia Terrace room as close to Oak as possible.

Andre

Does anyone know if Building 14 in AB has been renovated?

I called to make my room request and the CM didn't quite understand what I was requesting. I would like to stay in the newly renovated part of AB. The 2nd part of my request was that I would like to be as close as possible to the lobby/food court, while in a newly renovated room. I finally just gave her building numbers (36 -39). I'm not really sure what she ended up putting in the request so I think I'll call back and try again! Any advice on how to say this request in a way the CM will understand clearly? I'm sure I'm making it more difficult than it is!

The CM I worked with had to look up the info for the refurbed rooms and she didn't have correct info. I would do exactly what you did...request a specific building or buildings. From what I understand and Andre will correct me if I'm wrong, buildings 36-38 are refurbed and building 14 is done or almost done. Next they are moving on to the royal rooms in the mansions. Hope this helps. :)

The CM I worked with had to look up the info for the refurbed rooms and she didn't have correct info.

Since the change from working on building 39 to building 14 before Xmas, the info available to the CMs at the reservations center (if indeed they even check it) is out of date. As far as I know, the schedule on the CM computer system has not been updated to reflect that change as yet.

From what I understand and Andre will correct me if I'm wrong, buildings 36-38 are refurbed and building 14 is done or almost done. Next they are moving on to the royal rooms in the mansions.

Correct. AB 14 and 36-38 are all complete now, and the two Royal Buildings will be next. After that, the rest of AB will be done.

Andre

My family has been to wow several times, but my sisters family has never been. We are off site for the first 3 days but I wanted them to experience Disney magic so am treating to 3 nights on site at por riverside. The rooms are riverside and one room will have 4 college age kids. Is there a best location to be closer to pool or transportation? Can they fit a rollaway. I don't think the Murphy will fit as the shortest is 5.5. I am so excited to show them Disney and am obsessing a bit on trying to make things perfect. :cool1:

We are going in early June. :banana:

I understand building 14 is renovated. I am traveling solo with my 3 kids and my Mom and she has mobility issues. We want to do the alligator bayou section. We are willing to pay for a preferred room.

What do you think our chances would be of getting a refurbished room if we pay for preferred and request building 14? We are torn between wanting the convenience and wanting a refurbished room. I am sure everybody else is having the same difficult choice. ;)

Thanks DisneyMom82!

I know - when I heard about DH getting the injections this Friday, I about had a heart attack. Same thing happened before a previous trip a few years back. He couldn't getting for the consult until last week, and this Friday had the LAST appt available for the week. We'd planned on either doing a laid back day at Downtown Disney, or maybe a short day at AK, but in light of the injection, I think a laid back day by the POR pool sounds perfect. :thumbsup2 I'll call today to see about arrangements. I need to call anyway because, although I requested Mansions/ground floor/close to main building, all I'm seeing online is "ground floor." Not sure what happened there, but I want to be sure our requests are at least in place somewhere.

And thanks for the info on POR parking. I know it gets tight around the MK resorts, especially around busy times. Having them park and take the boat with us would be so ideal - hope we get the same nice guards at the gate that you've had. :goodvibes

My family has been to wow several times, but my sisters family has never been. We are off site for the first 3 days but I wanted them to experience Disney magic so am treating to 3 nights on site at por riverside. The rooms are riverside and one room will have 4 college age kids. Is there a best location to be closer to pool or transportation? Can they fit a rollaway. I don't think the Murphy will fit as the shortest is 5.5. I am so excited to show them Disney and am obsessing a bit on trying to make things perfect. :cool1:

I don't believe they allow rooms with 2 queen beds to have a rollaway, as it's against fire codes. The murphy bed is meant for kids - I think it has an unwritten age limit of 12 and under, something like that. I don't think someone who's 5'5" would be comfortable on it.

I don't think any building is too far from a bus stop, since there are 4. There are also multiple quiet pools. If you want to be near the main pool and/or food court, you can pay an upcharge and book a preferred room which will be in AB and guarantee you a short walk to the main buildings and pool. If you don't want a preferred room, you can check out the resort map and request one of the other buildings that looks good. Someone on here may have some recommendations. We've stayed in Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace on the mansion side and didn't find either of them to be too bad of a walk.

We have a Royal Themed room also checking in the 24th. But we have a river view upgrade booked until the 3rd. Maybe you will see my DIS LGMH hanging on my back pack.

We are checking into a Royal Themed room on the first day (2/17). I will try my hardest to snap some pictures and post here that night for Saturday AM. Getting sooooo excited.

I'm paying off my trip tomorrow for our 2/17 check in and want to do a building request - which will be most convenient to the food court and main pool area? Also, I've never stayed on this side - is this the one with elevators? Trying to decide if I should do 1st or 2nd floor request.

Thanks

I'm paying off my trip tomorrow for our 2/17 check in and want to do a building request - which will be most convenient to the food court and main pool area? Also, I've never stayed on this side - is this the one with elevators? Trying to decide if I should do 1st or 2nd floor request.

Thanks

if your checking in on the 17th of feb only one royal themed building will be done by then and that will be the Oak Manor one.

So - to clarify ... Will the Alligator Bayou rooms (to fit 5) be refurb'ed by the end of march? I have paid for a preferred room and am hoping to have a newly redone one... what can/should i expect??

So - to clarify ... Will the Alligator Bayou rooms (to fit 5) be refurb'ed by the end of march? I have paid for a preferred room and am hoping to have a newly redone one... what can/should i expect??

Well building 14 is a preferred and refurbed. It will fit 5 no problem because of the Murphy bed in there below the tv area. Fit a 5ft, 5" person I believe and comfortably. As to more preferred buildings being done by then well I hope they keep to there progress ahead of schedule or at least on schedule.

Can I request a specific end - lol. If so, where do I want to be:thumbsup2

Are there elevators?

There are elevators near the central area of the building. Those rooms can have a great view of the court yard with a fountain. Red Area Elevators. But if you want rooms with a view but close to the elevators then I highlighted them in green. Elevator area of building has three floors. So up to you.

BigPlan-Oak-Copy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter