POR or Cornado Resort

BigGoofball

Earning My Ears
What are your opinions on these 2 resorts? I'm taking a 3 year old and just wondering which one is the most accomodating, and which one you guys prefer overall. Thanks! or would you recommend another Resort to stay at?

There are a lot of POR lovers! I feel POR is in a great location. I hear that Coronado feels more like a convention resort.

CSR is our "disney home". I'll give you one story as to why I LOVE it when we took our at the time 9 month old DD.

Our Mousekeeper for our stay noticed we had our DD with us and we had talked to her several times. A very nice young woman with a DD about ours age. We had told her it was our first time traveling with a baby and she wasn't sleeping too well. Everyday when we came back to our room, she had cleaned our DD bottles, cleaned our room, put leis on ours beds, hung our DD's stuffed animals in the windows, gave us extra ice bags for diapers, and would leave us notes wishing us a magical day. Needless to say she got an amazing tip and a great appreciation note at the service desk.

I loved CSR for our night time walks we would take around the property with DD in her stroller. Such beautiful scenery and sitting by Casitas with the fountains put her right to sleep.

I would recommend CSR to anyone. I've never been to POR, but we are staying in Feb at POFQ. CSR always seems to grant our requests and a woman named Miriam is more than willing to help with any issues you have.

Good luck choosing & have a MAGICAL:wizard: vacation!

We've done POR twice. What I like about POR are the amenities. They offer at certain times of year a marshmallow roast in the early evening and they also offer disney movies on a big screen outside. Our guy has always gone to bed early so we haven't always taken those options but we've seen them in progress and would love to fit it in. There are surrey bikes and you can put DD in the front basket and ride around the grounds or even take a carriage ride in the evening before bed. They have boat service to POFQ and DTD so if she just needs a quiet boat ride to calm her down or relax that's there too until 11 pm.They also have lots of quiet pools plus the regular splashy pool witha slide. We enjoy quiet pools. Our DS would use his Nemo water wings and swim peacefully when he was smaller. We actually brought our own but one popped and the gift shop had wings to buy which was great. The resort is spread out but we always request a certain building that fits our needs for location and have never been denied. The staff are very friendly and helpful especially in emergencies. First trip my dad was recovering from a broken ankle and overdid it and wound up in a wheelchair which the resort provided for the remainder of our stay and this trip my mom got a heat rash on her ankles from the heat reflecting from the pavement and while the gift shop was out of the needed supplies we were able to order from a pharmacy and they promptly called as soon as it arrived. The food court can be crowded in the morning but is managable and the buses run in atimely manner and we've never had a terrible wait. As soon as we see the bus coming we fold up the stroller and I take the DS and my husband takes the stroller. We've had a good expereince overall. they've made towel figures, arranged stuffed animals, and even came quickly when DS threw up at midnight on the carpet, floor, and all over the dressing area.

I've never stayed at Coronado so I can't compare but we never stay at a resort twice and we did with this one. It was great.

I've stayed at all of the Mod level resorts on multiple occaisions. But I find that I always return to CSR. I've not once ever felt like I was at a convention. Of course I've seen conventioneers wandering around the resort (Feeling sorry for them in their business suits at Disney!) but that's all. I absolutely love the Pepper Market for it's wide variety of choices, Maya Grill was super yummy, and we love the pool!They also have movies at night and 'smores, and every day they have games and such at the main pool. We always stay in Cabanas 8b. Very close to the main pool, 5 minute walk to the lobby, and there is a bus stop directly behind the building. It's quite nice to have the option to catch the bus at our building stop or to catch the bus at the main building after breakfast. I will admit that the rooms at CSR do feel a little bit nicer than others. The rooms were renovated quite nicely. The beds have white duvet covers instead of polyester spreads. The pillows are nice and there are sliding doors to close off the bathroom if everyone else is still sleeping. Every resort has pros and cons, but once again I always come "home" to CSR! Have a blast wherever you decide to saty!:goodvibes

Now that the rooms at POR are being renovated, I would recommend POR. It has always been one of our very favorite resorts (in any category) but in recent years the rooms have seen a bit worn and shabby. With a newly renovated room, I would stay there in a hearbeat.

We stayed at CSR a couple of years ago and the room was gorgeous. Beds were comfy, sliding door to the bathroom was fantastic and everything was very clean. However, I was not a fan of the Pepper Market and much prefer the ambiance of POR.

I don't think you can go wrong with either! THe boat ride from POR to DTD is very nice. I like teh theming and landscaping at CSR better, but I am from The South so POR is nothing "special" for me. Food at Pepper Market was surprisingly good and always fresh when I visited in August. I really like the build your own pasta in POR. If you are going to stay at CSR with a 3 yr old, _I_ would pay extra for the preferred room location.

I would go with the theming you are more interested in.

CSR is our favorite resort. :lovestruc We all love the theming. DH and I love the relaxed atmosphere and all of my kids love the pool/playground area.

POR really doesn't appeal to us so we've never stayed there, but I constantly see posts on here about how wonderful it is and it seems to be a popular favorite. Since my youngest is over 3 now and POR is the only moderate that accomodates 5 in one room, we're going to try it next trip.

I vote POR, I love it, never had a bad stay there. I have also stayed at CSR and just didn't love it as much. I know you have a lot of votes in both directions, however i feel that the smaller resort of POR will suit your child's age the best. Even though you will probably be using a stroller, the smaller resort is just more convenient. I hope you have a great trip :)

Tough decision! Both resorts are great and have a lot to offer, but having stayed at both within the past 18 months I'd vote for POR. There's just, in my opinion of course, more to do for younger children. DD was 18 months when we stayed at POFQ and I found the size of POR and POFQ combined to be manageable, she loved the pools and playgrounds and the Clydesdale horses. We stayed at CSR two months ago and while I loved the overall feel of the resort and the rooms, it definitely does have a convention feel. On our second morning there a convention was just checking in and the crowd was massive. If it were just me going, CSR it would be, but with DD in tow I'd pick POR any day of the week!

It looks like you are going during the summer. If you plan to do much swimming, you might want to choose POFQ over POR. Your 3 year old will be able to do the poolslide at POFQ because it is short and you can stand at the end to catch. You get all of the benefits of POR and can use those amenities, as well, but POFQ is smaller and you will have shorter walks to the pool and restaurant no matter where your room is. POFQ and POR share a boat shuttle to DTD, as well.

I was just going to post this exact question. I'm still torn. We are actually going on a cruise so we are only staying at Disney for one night before and two nights after the cruise. These are the two resorts I'm considering. Maybe I should do one before and one after?

They're both great. Are you traveling with kids? If so, what are their ages and are they
boys or girls?
The reason I ask is because if the kids are older, I'd definitely say CSR. Teens and Tweens love it.
POR has princess themed rooms which would probably appeal more to girls.
POR has the boat service to DTD.
CSR has a lounge that may appeal to the adults.
Sometimes people comment about CSR being a convention resort. We have never had a problem with that. Also, we have seen many more conventions during our stays at the GF, CR, and YC.
The Dig Site playground is a lot of fun for the little ones.

Just returned from CSR yesterday and loved it! On check in the wonderful CM upgraded us to a preferred water view because we looked like a nice disney family! :cool1:

Room was spotless and service was top notch. The bus service was unbelievable. Once, we had to wait 20 minutes on the bus, the rest of the times (at least 15) we waited no more than 5 minutes and often not at all!!!

We liked the Pepper Market and the smaller CS place as well. There were all sorts of people there including a lot of marathon runners. Everyone was friendly.

NOW---if you happen to get stuck in a room far away from the main building it could be an issue. There are bus stops throughout the VERY large resort but only one place to fill mugs, eat etc.

There is a very nice playground, and two pools that we did not use.

Though I am a big fan of both, I think that there would be more to walk around and see/do at PO... (I would pick FQ over Riverside for the better pool). The boat to DTD is a bonus activity that's fun to do... and you can always walk down to POR from POFQ (or vice versa) and check out the other resort. The pool at CSR is super cool for older kids and adults I would say.

Well it seems that all the regular rooms at CSR are booked and we can only get a junior suite, which costs as much as some of the deluxe resorts, so that settles that!

Sounds Like we're going to book POR with the added royal room theme. We have our mom and dad going as well along with my brother law and his GF. So I figured a nice boat ride could set a mood and experience for all of us plus the themed room for my daughter will be a nice touch. Thanks for all of your feedback. It sounds like I can't lose with either almost like buying a camera on this one "should I get a NIKON or CANON" Lol. Another thing we got a 30% coupon in the mail yesterday too for a moderate hotel, that knocks about 50 bucks off of our room so it was an easy choice! I will post a review in about 7 months :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter