• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. We are here now and got back to the room temp at 75. We tried holding the power button and down arrow to try and override but it didn't work. Any suggestions as we have also been hot at night. Thanks!

We were able to get our room down to 68 at night with the thermostat once we got back to the room but that was the lowest. We did have some balloons in our room for dd's birthday which we placed on the table next to the thermostat to trigger the sensor at night.

I also have a question....is a pool view considered an upgrade from a lake view in a standard area or are they equal?

I also have a question....is a pool view considered an upgrade from a lake view in a standard area or are they equal?

Price-wise a pool view room is considered an upgrade, as there is a different higher rate for preferred pool view (60's section) and standard pool view (50's and 80's/90's) rooms.

Currently all lake views rooms are standard level bookings.

Price-wise a pool view room is considered an upgrade, as there is a different higher rate for preferred pool view (60's section) and standard pool view (50's and 80's/90's) rooms.

Thanks for the info. I had requested a lake view but ended up with a 50's pool view upon check in as well as when they moved our rooms after the pipe broke. She said that they didn't have any availability for a lake view :confused3. I appreciate them wanting to give me a pool view (I thought I had just paid for a plain old standard room when I made the ressie??), but I really wanted a lake view away from the pool and was curious how the pricing/upgrades worked. Thanks again for the info, jcarwash.

Hi all~

We are arriving in 6 days to POP! The last time we were there, it was recommended to wait until less than 10 days out to fax in a specific room request. So, when I made our reservations back in Sept, I didn't make any recs at the time, thinking I would do that later. So...after reading here, it seems that faxing is not the best thing to do anymore. Should I contact POP or Disney in general to make our request?

Thanks for any help!!

I always call and talk to someone through the Disney reservations line and I have always received my preferences:) plus I do online check in also!

I hope they never figure out that the lake view rooms are "preferred" by many of us!

Hi all~

We are arriving in 6 days to POP! The last time we were there, it was recommended to wait until less than 10 days out to fax in a specific room request. So, when I made our reservations back in Sept, I didn't make any recs at the time, thinking I would do that later. So...after reading here, it seems that faxing is not the best thing to do anymore. Should I contact POP or Disney in general to make our request?

Thanks for any help!!

Call Disney reservations and ask them to note your requests on your reservation. Nothing is guaranteed, of course.

Thank you so much for the welcome, Janet B!!! I hope you are able to take advantage of the free dining BB!

I am hoping someone can help us with a room request. The past few years we have always booked a first floor preferred to be close to Classic Hall. I have mobility problems so the closer we are the better. Last year was my first time renting an ECV and without that our vacation would not have been possible. Anyway, now that i use the ECV while at Disney I was thinking of not requesting a preferred room. I would still want to be close to Classic Hall so my husband wouldn't have such a tough time carrying our soon to be 5 year old back to the room after a long day in the parks.:) What would be a good room request to make? Which building? Maybe with a lake view or a chance to see the fireworks from Epcot? Also, would an upper level floor room be poosible with an ECV?
TIA for the info!:flower:
We always request a standard room in building 10 (70's Big Wheel) because it's near Classic hall and the buses.

FIL will be using a ECV this time and I'd also like to know about an upper level floor with that.

We always request a standard room in building 10 (70's Big Wheel) because it's near Classic hall and the buses.

FIL will be using a ECV this time and I'd also like to know about an upper level floor with that.

My mother had an EVC back in January & we requested a handicap assec.room-
it was on the upper level.:)
No problems-she just rode the elevator with it.
I was surprised-I just assumed the room would be on ground level.:confused3
All was well.

My mother had an EVC back in January & we requested a handicap assec.room-
it was on the upper level.:)
No problems-she just rode the elevator with it.
I was surprised-I just assumed the room would be on ground level.:confused3
All was well.

Nope not the case at all... The HC rooms are located in the exact same spot on each floor in the building and are basically "stacked" on top of one another. So if you are in a room that has Handicap facilities in the bathroom the room above/below you does too.
Now the only thing that may be different is POP also categorizes its rooms for hard of hearing and a few others special needs as HC rooms and there are a VERY LIMITED number of those throughout the resort. Those numbers seem to be backwards though as there are only 8 standard and 12 preferred which is really strange. Because usually it's the other way around...LOL!

But there are HC rooms in EVERY bldg at POP! :thumbsup2 So they are available in every category.

Get me excited about pop! Spending NYE here and I've only ever stayed at sports.

Wow! NYE at Disney! have an amazing time!! :cool1::dance3:

POP is alot of fun, full of energy with all that nostaligia all around you... take time to walk around the resort, check out the lobby memorabilia shadow boxes, and oh, you get the added bonus of walking over to AoA too. :goodvibes

Did NYE last year. It was amazing. As long as you know there is going to be chaos when everyone tries to leave the park at midnight you are fine. We stuck around 45 minutes or so in the park and things were fine getting the bus back to POP.

hmmm ... its usually chaos whenever we leave MK so I should be used to crowds, right?? :upsidedow (we go during the summer FD ... :) Oh, someday to be at Disney during the holidays!!

We are back from our stay at POP! Thanks again everyone for this wonderful thread. It is so helpful!

A while after arriving in our first floor room, we took off our shoes only to discover soggy wet carpet on one side of the room towards the bathroom as well as on the bathroom floor. We found wet drywall as well. Apparently a pipe had broken. Luckily we only had a small backpack on the floor that was soaked on the bottom. Maintenance took care of it right away and POP switched our rooms promptly. I'm grateful this happened on the first floor and didn't trickle down to other rooms from an upper floor! Other than that little hiccup, I enjoyed my stay at POP (dh is not a fan though, not sure what's wrong with him :rotfl2:).

The Pop Warner groups were a little loud in the pool area one night until about 11pm at night (where I was at anyway) and then all was quiet. The groups in my area seemed to be younger children (I'd say an average age of 10 maybe ?). They had a special counter set up for them the first day I saw them there just past the concierge by Everything POP and the second day they had a table set up across the way with times and other information. I don't know that I would've noticed them that much if it weren't for the signs/info table and sports/cheer shirts (and the pool noise the one night). They were pretty quiet and behaved well in my experience. A few dance families left on the ME when we did.

There was a woman celebrating her 100th Birthday at WDW. We saw her at POP and at MK. People were wishing her a Happy Birthday everywhere she went and a teen choir group sang to her. She said that she was enjoying her special stay at POP. Way to go POP pixiedust:

Welcome back!! :goodvibes Happy to hear that POP fixed your glitch and it was mostly smooth sailing afterwards. Even though POP Warner was at the resort, it seemed that POP had things organized.

How nice that Disney recognized that women's monumental birthday in such a special fashion... she and her family must of been so pleased. :thumbsup2

Hmm... now you need to get you DH back to POP, for another stay, and maybe he will see the light ....:goodvibes

I hope they never figure out that the lake view rooms are "preferred" by many of us!

Sandi, I second that!! :thumbsup2 Although the way Disney has gotten a little crazy with room categories, it may be something Disney catches on to and make this a water view category ....:sad2:

I'm booked. I even got the Passholder rate at Pop Century. It's going to be a short, crazy trip.

See ya tomorrow Disney. :banana: :banana: :banana:

:yay: Short, Crazy is great!! Enjoy!! :cool1:

Thank you so much for the welcome, Janet B!!! I hope you are able to take advantage of the free dining BB!

Your welcome .. and thanks!! It will all depend on my DD and if she joins the marching band... :)

I am hoping someone can help us with a room request. The past few years we have always booked a first floor preferred to be close to Classic Hall. I have mobility problems so the closer we are the better. Last year was my first time renting an ECV and without that our vacation would not have been possible. Anyway, now that i use the ECV while at Disney I was thinking of not requesting a preferred room. I would still want to be close to Classic Hall so my husband wouldn't have such a tough time carrying our soon to be 5 year old back to the room after a long day in the parks.:) What would be a good room request to make? Which building? Maybe with a lake view or a chance to see the fireworks from Epcot? Also, would an upper level floor room be poosible with an ECV?
TIA for the info!:flower:

neverlandfamily ... other posters have given you great advice on the ECV. :thumbsup2 Note if you wish to, you can charge the ECV at luggage services (first come, first serve); yes, you would need to walk to your room.:upsidedow This is just an option, of course you can charge it in your room as well.

For a standard room, our favorites are bldgs 3, 4, or 5 ...standard in these bldgs would also mean a lake view room. :goodvibes From upper floors of bldgs 3 & 4 you can see the top of Illuminations. Convenient to Classic Hall. We love these areas.

But as Zandy noted below, 70s offers some great standard rooms that are convenient as well (and most likely a little closer to busing). :)

Some areas of bldg 9 (80s) are very close to busing (the back part of bldg closest to Classic Hall and near the 90s parking lot). You can reefer to the 2012 map here.

::yes:: :thumbsup2

Janet B said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by neverlandfamily

Your welcome .. and thanks!! It will all depend on my DD and if she joins the marching band...

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverlandfamily

I am hoping someone can help us with a room request. The past few years we have always booked a first floor preferred to be close to Classic Hall. I have mobility problems so the closer we are the better. Last year was my first time renting an ECV and without that our vacation would not have been possible. Anyway, now that i use the ECV while at Disney I was thinking of not requesting a preferred room. I would still want to be close to Classic Hall so my husband wouldn't have such a tough time carrying our soon to be 5 year old back to the room after a long day in the parks. What would be a good room request to make? Which building? Maybe with a lake view or a chance to see the fireworks from Epcot? Also, would an upper level floor room be poosible with an ECV?
TIA for the info!

neverlandfamily ... other posters have given you great advice on the ECV. Note if you wish to, you can charge the ECV at luggage services (first come, first serve); yes, you would need to walk to your room. This is just an option, of course you can charge it in your room as well.

Janet,
they have changed the policy about scooter rental companies just dropping units off....
now only certain companies can do that. They must be a preferred provider. If they are not, and Disney finds an ECV unit just 'sitting around', WDW now retains the right to confiscate said unit and the rental company must pay a fee to retrieve the unit. There is alot of speculation as to why this changed but one of many thoughts was that units were being damaged either by a guest or WDW and each was pointing the finger at the other when the rental company questioned what happened. And finally WDW said enough. So I'm not sure Bell services is still willing to charge ECVs anymore since they won't accept them from many of the rental companies. If you (a renter from a non approved rental company) leave it at bell services (luggage dept) to be charged and they change staff, it might be too risky that they confiscate it as 'abandoned'. I wouldn't do it.
I plan on checking into this when I go back to POP in January. But I am thinking ECV users are going to need to charge ECVs in their room now not at bell services anymore.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

DD will be checking in Jan 21 for the College Program.. I chose to stay at POP Century.. first time for me. This trip is not being used as a WDW park visit since we will be busy getting her organized for her move into the Apartments and begin with her program. I have a couple questions.. Is there a bus/transportation schedule chart thingy that will show how to get to each resort from say POP C? When DD is doing her move in into her apartment I am hoping to wander the Resorts and do a sort of scavenger hunt in the resort shops clearance shelves. I want to try and check out as many of the resorts as possible when Im there. I will be at POP Jan 20-23, DD processes Jan 21.
Second question is simply what is the best way to try to get a room with a King bed. Also what is the best place that is NOT Pool view. or is there a good "Adult" section to be in ?

jmqidoc said:
DD will be checking in Jan 21 for the College Program.. I chose to stay at POP Century.. first time for me. This trip is not being used as a WDW park visit since we will be busy getting her organized for her move into the Apartments and begin with her program. I have a couple questions.. Is there a bus/transportation schedule chart thingy that will show how to get to each resort from say POP C? When DD is doing her move in into her apartment I am hoping to wander the Resorts and do a sort of scavenger hunt in the resort shops clearance shelves. I want to try and check out as many of the resorts as possible when Im there. I will be at POP Jan 20-23, DD processes Jan 21.
Second question is simply what is the best way to try to get a room with a King bed. Also what is the best place that is NOT Pool view. or is there a good "Adult" section to be in ?

Waving Hello!!! My DD checks in on the 14th for the DCP but I'm going to hang out awhile since MY parents will be in FL at that point. Plus my body (medical condition) feels so much better in the warmer weather of FL so I am planning on hanging out until the 23rd so we will be there at the same time!!
There isn't a good way to get from one resort to another unless you have your own vehicle. Now you can take the bus to the MK and hop on the monorail and hit all the monorail resorts pretty easily and then take the ferry over to WL. Then take the monorail to the TTC and take a bus to one of the Epcot resorts and then use the ferry (or if you don't mind some walking) walk amongst the Yacht & Beach Clubs & Boardwalk. After that, I think you are pretty much stuck taking a bus to a resort then back to a park or DTD and then to another resort...very time consuming and a HUGE pain IMO. I think you would be better to try and hit the Disney outlet stores if you want deals, but that's JMHO. As of lately I don't find that the resort gift shops do very much in the way of sales.
Did you book a std room? you have a better chance of getting a king bed in the std category. If king is the most important thing I would make it my ONLY request.
Good Luck to your DD!! And maybe we'll cross paths while we are there! :)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

We did this on one of our last days, to look at the Christmas decorations and pick out where we wanted to stay on our next trip. We took a bus to DHS (the first bus to arrive) and walked from there to Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin, and the Beach/Yacht Club. We walked out the bus area and took the first bus to AK where we caught a bus to POFQ/POR. After there we took a bus to MK and did the monorail resorts. Took about 5 hours, then we had to head back to Pop for ME.

Emily

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter