POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in on Thursday!!! I stopped by yesterday (the joys of living in the area!) and asked about the King Beds. I was told that all the King Beds are accessible rooms and that it's very hard to get one without a request for an accessible room. Is that really true?? He also said that they are all located on the 4th floor so he took out my request for 70s section/ High floor and kept High Floor and added King Bed. It's interesting since I called and requested a King bed so either only the online check-in requests are being transferred or the CM over the phone never put in the King bed request. We shall see!!!

I hope all the king beds aren't handicapped! We are going to pop next month and would like a king bed but I don't want to take that room away from someone that is handicapped. I am hoping that some of them are regular rooms!

I hope all the king beds aren't handicapped! We are going to pop next month and would like a king bed but I don't want to take that room away from someone that is handicapped. I am hoping that some of them are regular rooms!

I agree! We are going in October and requested a King room but I don't want to take a handicap accessible room away from someone who really needs it.

There are 144 king rooms and 63 of those rooms are HC accessible. My understanding is that on the 4th floor, the king rooms are all HC. On floors 1-3, there are both standard and HC king rooms.

Checking in on Thursday!!! I stopped by yesterday (the joys of living in the area!) and asked about the King Beds. I was told that all the King Beds are accessible rooms and that it's very hard to get one without a request for an accessible room. Is that really true?? He also said that they are all located on the 4th floor so he took out my request for 70s section/ High floor and kept High Floor and added King Bed. It's interesting since I called and requested a King bed so either only the online check-in requests are being transferred or the CM over the phone never put in the King bed request. We shall see!!!

That's actually not accurate. I have stayed at POP 5 or 6 times. I have always called in and requested a king and always gotten one, never had a handicapped accessible room :) I've stayed in the 70's, 80's and 90's sections with a king and have had either first or second floor :)

Okay, not trying to be mean, but that CM doesn't know what they are talking about. Not all the king rooms are HC, and not all of the HC rooms are created equal... ;)

Yes there are some that are regular rooms. Of the regular rooms more are in the standard section than the preferred section though. And those of us who need the HC rooms thank you for not taking them unnecessarily. They are becoming harder and harder to come by! :sad1:

I agree! We are going in October and requested a King room but I don't want to take a handicap accessible room away from someone who really needs it.

We humbly Thank you for your consideration.

Now here is the actual breakdown of info regarding King rooms at POP. This is VERY accurate as I have copies of the HC room locations SPECIFIC TO POP from a room assigner. I have spent 104 nights at POP. And occasionally was getting a room that was not meeting my needs so I was given this info so I could be sure that the room I was assigned met my needs before I left the front desk and I didn't have to come back and redo my check in. So...Here are the stats:
There are 150 TOTAL KING rooms. 89 std 61 pfd Of those 29 std & 9 pfd are non HC in any way. Then there are 8 std & 12 pfd that are HC 'hearing' only (designed w/ modifications for deaf only). Then there are 19 std and 11 pfd w/ tubs but have add'l modifications such as hand rails in the tub and also prob incl a higher toilet. Lastly are the highly coveted (needed) roll in shower rooms which are 41 std & 29 pfd. Bldgs 2, 6, 8 & 9 will not have special needs rooms. And a 4th floor HC room will always have a tub, never a roll in shower.

Hope this clarifies this for you all! Not trying to be a know it all...but I have quite a bit of experience in this area seeing as I need this type of room and I have stayed at POP so much. Just trying to help is all....:)

We just returned from 10 days at Pop in room 9120. I am sad to say that we had a cockroach sighting as well as several dead bugs in the bathroom that were there when we checked in. I called to report, they said they would send someone to check on the roach situation in the morning. It was late, I had just unpacked. I said fine. Well they sent someone at around midnight. So good for them for sending someone faster, but annoying at the same time because we were getting in bed when he knocked on the door. They also said they would have housekeeping do a thorough cleaning. I cleaned up the dead bugs in the bathtub myself, but left the bathroom floor to be swept/mopped or whatever they would do to clean it. Went to a park the next morning and came home to the same dead bugs on the floor. Ended up doing the cleaning myself, since obviously it was not going to be done by the resort staff as promised!

We have stayed at Pop before and really enjoyed it, but this stay was just not the same. The dirtiness of the room was one issue, and dealing with a very rude CM at Everything POP! was another. We did have good times, however. Enjoyed doing the twist in the morning with the food service CM's and the cashiers/sales floor cm's in the gift shop were always very pleasant and my dd loved pin trading with them.

Computer pool was quiet, cool and refreshing. Hippy Dippy pool was busy but fun. Breakfasts at Everything Pop were good (I mean..hello, Mickey Waffles, it's hard to go wrong!). Bus situation varied from decent to downright unacceptable, but that seems to be the same almost across the board, so it's not a Pop issue, but a transportation issue. Walk over to AoA was a quick one, and we actually took an AoA bus home one time because it seemed like a better idea than waiting for a Pop bus. AoA had a great menu and it's a nice option "for a change" if you are hanging out at your own resort and not quite sure where to head for a CS meal, but the dining areas were LOUD and there were lots of kids running around in swim suits or less (saw kids in diapers), so if that is off putting then I wouldn't recommend going during prime lunch or dinner times. I actually liked the standard french fries that Pop serves over the house seasoned fries at AoA. The seasoning was nice, but very overpowering after a few bites. I commented that they were dieter friendly fries because you won't want more than a handful :)

I might consider staying at Pop again, but next year we will give another resort a try.

Thanks for posting! I can't help but wonder, where did you find those mini Naked bottles??

They sell them at Costco. You get 12 bottles for about $15. They are perfect for my two 2-year olds to split!

Glad a few of you are finding the fridge picture helpful, we actually traveled with a big cooler because the board here said the fridge was too small and we were traveling with a gallon of milk. Could have just traveled with a small cooler (to keep the milk cold on the way) because once we checked in we didn't need the cooler anymore.

3 more days for my wife and I!! We were supposed to leave Fri when she gets out of work, but I convinced her to take a personal day so we can leave in the morning! I get off work Fri morning after my shift in an ER so I'll be spent, but I'll take a nap en route. 2 hr drive is enough nap time for me!

3 more days for my wife and I!! We were supposed to leave Fri when she gets out of work, but I convinced her to take a personal day so we can leave in the morning! I get off work Fri morning after my shift in an ER so I'll be spent, but I'll take a nap en route. 2 hr drive is enough nap time for me!

Have a great trip.

We just returned from 10 days at Pop in room 9120. I am sad to say that we had a cockroach sighting as well as several dead bugs in the bathroom that were there when we checked in. I called to report, they said they would send someone to check on the roach situation in the morning. It was late, I had just unpacked. I said fine. Well they sent someone at around midnight. So good for them for sending someone faster, but annoying at the same time because we were getting in bed when he knocked on the door. They also said they would have housekeeping do a thorough cleaning. I cleaned up the dead bugs in the bathtub myself, but left the bathroom floor to be swept/mopped or whatever they would do to clean it. Went to a park the next morning and came home to the same dead bugs on the floor. Ended up doing the cleaning myself, since obviously it was not going to be done by the resort staff as promised!

We have stayed at Pop before and really enjoyed it, but this stay was just not the same. The dirtiness of the room was one issue, and dealing with a very rude CM at Everything POP! was another. We did have good times, however. Enjoyed doing the twist in the morning with the food service CM's and the cashiers/sales floor cm's in the gift shop were always very pleasant and my dd loved pin trading with them.

Computer pool was quiet, cool and refreshing. Hippy Dippy pool was busy but fun. Breakfasts at Everything Pop were good (I mean..hello, Mickey Waffles, it's hard to go wrong!). Bus situation varied from decent to downright unacceptable, but that seems to be the same almost across the board, so it's not a Pop issue, but a transportation issue. Walk over to AoA was a quick one, and we actually took an AoA bus home one time because it seemed like a better idea than waiting for a Pop bus. AoA had a great menu and it's a nice option "for a change" if you are hanging out at your own resort and not quite sure where to head for a CS meal, but the dining areas were LOUD and there were lots of kids running around in swim suits or less (saw kids in diapers), so if that is off putting then I wouldn't recommend going during prime lunch or dinner times. I actually liked the standard french fries that Pop serves over the house seasoned fries at AoA. The seasoning was nice, but very overpowering after a few bites. I commented that they were dieter friendly fries because you won't want more than a handful :)

I might consider staying at Pop again, but next year we will give another resort a try.

I am sorry you had a less than stellar start to your vaca. It is sad all these buggy reports from Pop :/ Did you ask to move rooms?? I think if I would have come back to an uncleaned room I would have made some noise. That is totally unacceptable. I am glad you enjoyed AOA food court and had a great vacation overall!!

I'm so glad I read the Dis! We love our ceiling fan, so this is good to know. Our kids even sleep with white noise!

That's awesome! We sleep with a fan too but I really didn't feel like packing one. How do you go about getting one for your room?

Can I request one at check in or do I have to make arrangements prior to our arrival for a fan?

We have always just called Housekeeping when we get in our room, to get the fan. We have never been told no (at any hotel, really..). And the last time the guy that brought it said they had a good stash of them but rarely are they asked for. So...

You can see bits of Wishes, too!!

I took this video a couple of years ago - it shows Illuminations on the right, and Wishes off to the left!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUw7t9N50dE

In person you can also hear the Illuminations music!

We actually had a room in a different area, but walked over to the top floor of the 50's building to see the show!

While we were there, quite a few people wandered over to catch the show! So if you request a room there, keep in mind that you may have a lot of foot traffic around fireworks time! :goodvibes

That was awesome! Love that you can see both!

Only 79 days WOO HOO!

We have always just called Housekeeping when we get in our room, to get the fan. We have never been told no (at any hotel, really..). And the last time the guy that brought it said they had a good stash of them but rarely are they asked for. So...

That was awesome! Love that you can see both!

Only 79 days WOO HOO!

Thank you for answering my question!! Ill make a note to ask for a fan than when we check into our room. We're not going until October but we sleep with a fan all year round...in PA lol

Two weeks until my first visit to Pop Century. We're traveling with a group and so this is my first time staying value so I'm a little nervous, but hopefully its Disney and I'll love it just the same. This is also fiance's first trip to Disney EVER! We're super excited to get a chance to do as much as we can in just four days! Any hidden gems about Pop Century that we wouldn't otherwise know? I know about catching Illuminations, but just random bits of advice about the resort would be helpful.
Thanks! :thumbsup2

Two weeks until my first visit to Pop Century. We're traveling with a group and so this is my first time staying value so I'm a little nervous, but hopefully its Disney and I'll love it just the same. This is also fiance's first trip to Disney EVER! We're super excited to get a chance to do as much as we can in just four days! Any hidden gems about Pop Century that we wouldn't otherwise know? I know about catching Illuminations, but just random bits of advice about the resort would be helpful.
Thanks! :thumbsup2

I like getting my picture taken with my birth year along the path near the lake. There is a sign with the year and a little tidbit about what happened during that year. :)

I like getting my picture taken with my birth year along the path near the lake. There is a sign with the year and a little tidbit about what happened during that year. :)

I just wanted to point out that the signs along memory lane do not cover every year. For example, there is a sign for 1952 that talks about Lucille Ball and a sign for 1992 about NAFTA. So, unless you were born in one of the years identified, you might need to settle for the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter