POP Century~Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #7~Sept 2012

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Janet B, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marla1106

Marla1106 Mouseketeer

That is true. We have an 11 hour car drive down though. So if they don't sleep much that night, they will get plenty of sleep in the car. Also, my boys are only 7 and 4. They pass out at 7pm every night. LOL So while they may be very excited they will still fall asleep quickly.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. pooksma

pooksma <font color=red>Can't help it~there is something a

I wish my 12 yr old would do that :lmao: This is our second time "surprising" him and if I tell him the night before, he won't sleep.

4. Marla1106

Marla1106 Mouseketeer

LOL LOL That is funny. My kids are very good sleepers so far. Now, YDS is only 4 and still has a hard time with what tomorrow means. LOL So he probably won't completely understand. Plus he doesn't really remember the last time we went. He had just turned 2 the last time we went.

I had thought about telling the morning we leave, but we are getting up like at 5am and I know they will be so tired and out of it. LOL I won't get any reaction at that time. So I will tell them the day before b/c otherwise they will wonder why I'm packing in such a hurry. LOL

5. Megsie1000

Megsie1000 Mouseketeer

We leave Thursday morning at the buttcrack of dawn! :cool1:

Traveling will be me, DH, DD (9), DD (7), DS (4). We have two rooms. Traveling with us will be my friend, who is a Disney World virgin, and her two kids ages 9 and 7. They have one room. Also my BIL and my niece who have one room and my Mom will have her own room. So, 5 rooms altogether. :) My BIL arrives the day before us but has not put in any room requests and didn't get his reservation linked with ours. I linked mine, Christina's and my Mom's reservations. So BIL may end up far away from us but he doesn't seem to mind. Maybe that's the idea. ;) We'll see where they have put him when we check in, I guess.

I am sure we are looking at crazy crowds but we are excited anyway. Trying to avoid the 24-hour day at MK so we had to switch around a couple park days and deal with the ADR headache that entailed. Our annual passes expire June 2 so we had to squeeze in our trip between when the kids get out of school and that deadline. We won't be renewing for financial reasons, so this is a last trip for a while.

I am hoping we end up in the Lady building near the classic hall. But we didn't pay for preferred ($250 extra for our two rooms to upgrade), so I realize that is only a request. Crossing my fingers!

6. jcarwash

jcarwash DIS Veteran

There's plenty of standard rooms in building 1/Lady, so good luck! I think you may get your request! :goodvibes

7. cbeeindisney

cbeeindisney DIS Veteran

Is it true that you can see a bit of Illuminations from the 4th floor of the 50s buildings, if so, that is where I'm requesting to stay next time?! ::yes::

8. acwsmom

acwsmom Mouseketeer

It's true! You can see it on the 3rd floor too. :goodvibes We've stayed in the 50's and the 70's, lakeview for both, and could see the fireworks and hear the music from our room on the 3rd floor. We always knew it was 9:00 when we started to hear the fireworks!

9. cbeeindisney

cbeeindisney DIS Veteran

Yay! Thank you, that's exciting, that's where I'll be when we're down there :)

10. acwsmom

acwsmom Mouseketeer

In the 70's, you have to be on the side facing the bridge. If you are in the 50's, you have to be on the side of the building facing away from the bridge. But don't worry if your room is somewhere else - plenty of people head that way when the fireworks start. We had several people stand on the balcony in front of our room last time we were there. We all had fun just watching them together. :thumbsup2

11. FancyNancy

FancyNancy DIS Veteran

That's great to know! I won't bother bringing mine with me I'll just note on my ressie that I need one :)

12. Kat016

Kat016 DIS Veteran

Can I request one at check in or do I have to make arrangements prior to our arrival for a fan?

13. Robin K

Robin K DIS Veteran

Just returned from our 5 night stay at POP! We had building 2 in the 50s section which is one of the areas we requested. We were on the back side facing the trees/parking lot. We were on the 4th floor. It was SO quiet. I was shocked at how little I heard. The day before we left we heard some workers outside...they were hanging plastic getting ready to paint. But it was 9 am..we had a late start that day.
    The buses were wonderful, no long waits at all. We only had to stand once and that was to Magic Kingdom. The only bus complaint is the bus stop is right in the sun. There should be some overhead thing..I think anyway!
    The food court was pretty good. We grabbed a pizza our first night since we arrived so late. The last day we ate the build our own nachos (wonderful) and a pork sandwich...mom enjoyed it. I thought the honey mustard had a kick-not terrible but nothing I would order again.
    Any questions..I am here to help!

14. DisneyDork712

DisneyDork712 DIS Veteran

You can see bits of Wishes, too!!

I took this video a couple of years ago - it shows Illuminations on the right, and Wishes off to the left!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUw7t9N50dE

In person you can also hear the Illuminations music!

We actually had a room in a different area, but walked over to the top floor of the 50's building to see the show!

While we were there, quite a few people wandered over to catch the show! So if you request a room there, keep in mind that you may have a lot of foot traffic around fireworks time! :goodvibes

15. Janet B

Janet B DIS Veteran

That's too bad ... was the times it was closed late in the evening? I know that POP usually only has one drink station when we have returned from the parks.

:yay: Bring plenty of Disney music to keep your mind off the driving :)..You need a sign in the window.. "POP or BUST" :hippie: :rotfl2: Safe travels!! :goodvibes

Congrats on recovering your ring!:yay: Happy that your perseverance paid off. :goodvibes And that's funny about getting the snail mail saying that they will be continuing to look... :upsidedow

stitchlovestink, nice of you to help out..:goodvibes

Minnesota, Thanks for the info..:thumbsup2

Plans seem great!! Your Aunt sounds so sweet (and up to the challenge of Disney! :goodvibes) If you are looking for suggestions we like the french bakery (which has been expanded), Mexico, England or Sunshine seasons for CS in Epcot.

Also, depending on the timing of your Mama Melrose ADR, you might want to eat light ... we like Starring Rolls at HS. Did you book the Fantasmic! package? If so, typically the ADR times are earlier and the meal does includes the appetizer, so lots of food. :)

Wishing you loads of pixiedust: for getting into BOG fairly quickly! And congrats on getting O'hana, we love it for both breakfast and dinner. :thumbsup2

hmm... wonder if that is not the norm and tranpo pulled the POP bus over to AoA due to scheduling issues...really hope the sharing will not continue... Both resorts are big.

16. ClendeninHouse

ClendeninHouse Earning My Ears

My family and I are headed to Pop in September and I'm so excited. My DH and I stayed at Pop for our honeymoon in 2009 and loved it. Now we'll be taking our 2 and half year old and 1 and a half year old for their first trip. I cannot wait! I've been reading up on this thread and I can hardly contain my excitement for our trip.

17. Jimmysmom0703

Jimmysmom0703 Mouseketeer

Im so excited to stay at POP. Its our 1st time there.my original date are 8/25 to 8/30, but I.might change it to 8/27 to 9/1..the flights are CRAZY priced right now n I figured I get up Sunday n fly home!!

18. cbeeindisney

cbeeindisney DIS Veteran

How exciting! You'll love it there! We stayed August last year and intend to go back :)

19. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

Well my experiences in March and May (but it was slower and low occupancy levels according to my CM friend there) they rarely had all of the soda dispensers operational. I believe there are 8 sets. I mostly only saw 6 open...and sometimes only 4! and Yes, late at night after about 11pm, it was down to just 2 dispensers (always the two closest to the gift shop).
    I don't think the whole time I was there I ever saw ALL of the seating areas open! They always had sections closed off. I'm guessing to make it easier for the CMs and I'm figuring so they didn't have to staff as many working the dining room.

We shared a bus with AoA on one of my trips in March. It was a mid morning trip to MK. There were only 6 of us at POP...When we left there, the driver made a right and went the back way over to AoA! Their queue was packed!!! We filled up and there were still people left! On my May trip I was on a bus to MK and a driver was training another driver. There were only 3 of us guests on the bus (me and another couple). The trainer came and sat down once we were in route to MK. So I struck up a convo with him! I asked him about the two resorts sharing buses and he said it was an extreme rarity. When it happened, it was pretty much always a case that AoA was horribly back up. If the driver arrived at POP and had a fairly empty queue there, and AoA was swamped, they were sending them there to 'fill up' and help alleviate the waiting issues. They try not to do it, but on occasion it does happen. I used the buses a TON in January (12 days there!) and in March (7 days there) and only once did I experience this. I only rode the bus a handful of times in May because it really wasn't a pleasure trip, but it never happened then.

20. brooke789

brooke789 Mouseketeer

Just wanted to update with a pic of the fridge now that we're home
    [​IMG]

21. mjperry

mjperry One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of

I think sharing a bus is a good idea, if pop has three people and AOA is packed or vice versa then it's the responsible thing to do, and for Disney saves money so why not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.