• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poly to moderate...POR, PFQ or CSR?

snorkelyn

Mouseketeer
Our family of 5 spoiled ourselves at the Poly in 2010. We are going again in September for 10 days with my parents, and will need to stay Moderate this time. I am torn between POR, PFQ and CSR. Our kids will be 5, 7 and 9. We are willing to pay for preferred buildings, if needed. We want a family friendly place to have a couple cocktails at the end of a busy day. We really loved the pool bar at the Poly because the kids could play in the sand while we relaxed at the end of the day. We are also concerned about the bus service- which is why we are willing to pay for preferred. Food court is not important, since we will be doing a dining plan. It will be at least 2 years before we go again, at which time it will only be the 5 of us, and we will probably stay at an Epcot deluxe. Based on our wants...what would you suggest?

Por or csr. I love the piano player in the lounge at POR and the pool bar at CSR is great. We are deluxe snobs but when we do moderates these are the 2 we switch between. Fwiw we never upgrade to preferred and have had better luck w/ bus service at POR than AKL or CR.
At the end of the day I would price both out.
Heather

Ps. Wait I forgot to add we prefer POR w a bigger party because of the trundle bed. But I heard its now a Murphy bed?

We LOVED POFQ! We are trying to stay at all the different resorts and that is the only reason we aren't staying there again this Sept and chose POR. It is smaller, fun pool and beautiful.

I will have to say CSR. I love the pool bar there. I have stayed at all three resorts you mentioned and like the set up at CSR the best. First, the bar is right by the playground and the pool. We liked having drinks and being to watch DS run around playing and swimming. You can also get pretty good food at the pool bar. Finally, the beach with hammocks is close to the main pool and you can easily bring your drinks there. POR and POFQ don't have a beach area.

OP i notice you've left out CBR from your list of mods that you're considering. Since I'm seeing good rates for it for upcoming trip just wondering if there was a reason.

btw PORFQ is really nice:)but it's been pricing out higher for our dates.

We did the exact same thing! LOL:rotfl2:! I'm really trying to figure out where to go for our next trip. I was pricing it out yesterday, and it told me that our party size was too much for POFQ? Is that true, or website issues? That's the one I was considering.:confused3

I will have to say CSR. I love the pool bar there. I have stayed at all three resorts you mentioned and like the set up at CSR the best. First, the bar is right by the playground and the pool. We liked having drinks and being to watch DS run around playing and swimming. You can also get pretty good food at the pool bar. Finally, the beach with hammocks is close to the main pool and you can easily bring your drinks there. POR and POFQ don't have a beach area.

Hmmm...The beach with a bar next to it could be the dealbreaker. DH loved that about the Poly...the kids can unwind in the sand while the adults unwind with an adult beverage. Sounds good!

OP i notice you've left out CBR from your list of mods that you're considering. Since I'm seeing good rates for it for upcoming trip just wondering if there was a reason.

btw PORFQ is really nice:)but it's been pricing out higher for our dates.

CBR is out because I have read it is just too big. POR alligator or CSR are the ones appealing to me right now.

We did the exact same thing! LOL:rotfl2:! I'm really trying to figure out where to go for our next trip. I was pricing it out yesterday, and it told me that our party size was too much for POFQ? Is that true, or website issues? That's the one I was considering.:confused3

Yes, POFQ has a max 4 people/room.
We are traveling with my parents this time, so we will send our daughter into Grandma and Grandpa's room. Hopefully we will get the attached rooms per our request. This may be another reason to try CSR...we would normally not be able to stay here as a family of 5.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am leaning CSR...now I need to figure out what building to request!

I just noticed that your youngest is 2. I don't think they count kids 2 and under. Right? So, POFQ should work.

I just noticed that your youngest is 2. I don't think they count kids 2 and under. Right? So, POFQ should work.

He is now, but unforunately he'll be 3 in July :(. And even though he would most likely sleep in a pack-n-play or on a kid mattress in the floor, Disney doesn't care!

Yes, POFQ has a max 4 people/room.
We are traveling with my parents this time, so we will send our daughter into Grandma and Grandpa's room. Hopefully we will get the attached rooms per our request. This may be another reason to try CSR...we would normally not be able to stay here as a family of 5.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am leaning CSR...now I need to figure out what building to request!

We've done this in the past. They always made sure to connect our rooms with grandma's room. Good luck!

My travel agent told me that if Coronado Springs Resort was on the monorail it would be considered a Deluxe as it is SO nice. The pool and pool bar are amazing and 1 of the best pools at Disney (besides the volcano pool at the Poly). They also have their own buses that do not stop at other resorts.

I have stayed at CSR about 8 times and just got back last week from my first stay ay POFQ. I liked both but prefer CSR as it has a real deluxe feel. I think the pool is much nicer at CSR and the pool bar there is great. I did not use the pool bar at POFQ because on this trip I was a chaperone for a student group but the set up did not look great. You can't see the playground area from the bar area at POFQ but as CSR you can and their playground is much nicer.

Things I liked at POFQ: proximity of rooms to central building, double sinks, size of room, table and chairs in room, and food court, boat to DTD (huge plus)

Things I did not like at POFQ: bed spreads, smallness gave resort a crowded park feel vs. a relaxing feel, grounds not as beautiful as CSR, theming was very nice but I prefer theme at CSR

Things I like about CSR: pool area, playground, beautiful grounds and paths to walk/run, food options, beds and bedding, bus transportation very good and does not share, many bus stops, resort gift shop, health club

You can't go wrong with your choices. It just comes down to your personal preference in style and amenities. The poly is great but I think you will love the mods too. Good luck.

Hmmm...The beach with a bar next to it could be the dealbreaker. DH loved that about the Poly...the kids can unwind in the sand while the adults unwind with an adult beverage. Sounds good!

CBR is out because I have read it is just too big. POR alligator or CSR are the ones appealing to me right now.

We've stayed at all the moderates except POR. CBR and CSR are almost identical in size. CSR is quite large too!
My favorite for size and is POFQ.
Favorite pool for young kids: CBR
Favorite pool for older kids and deluxe feel: CSR

POR and CSR are my favorite mods. I would stay at CSR this time since like you said you won't be able to stay there as a family of 5. We're also a family of 5 and I wish we would have stayed at some other resorts back before we were a family of 5.

Thanks for all the replies! I think we were sold on CSR. I was excited about the siesta pool bar...thinking we could end each day there and the kids could play for a bit while the adults enjoyed an adult beverage. But, upon further investigation, I found out that it closes at 6pm! Bummer!
Does anyone know if there is any appeal for the kids at the other CSR bar, Laguna's? An adjacent beach or something? I suppose we could always bring a nightcap over to the playground area...good for the kids, but not as good for the adults.

Hope you enjoy the taco-bell style theme and the out of the way location. I'd recommend port orleans or swan/dolphin!!

blackacex2 said:
Hope you enjoy the taco-bell style theme and the out of the way location. I'd recommend port orleans or swan/dolphin!!

Ha ha a little harsh but I'm with you on POR. I have stayed at CSR, CBR, and POR and ONLY recommend POR. We stay at the Poly as much as we can but when we can't afford it we stay at POR no questions asked. If the OP is use to deluxe accommodations or just the Poly in general, everywhere else is going to feel like a downgrade. To me POR has the deluxe feel on a smaller budget. Especially if you're interested in the various lounges/ pool bar, POR has a great lounge with fun entertainment that the kids will enjoy too. You can also order yummy appetizers there as well. If its not too late to change reservations, consider POR again. I know there are plenty of people who love CSR but I would be heartbroken to sub it for the Poly.

Oops I forgot to add why I didn't enjoy CSR :( the convention center element made me feel like I wasn't at Disney, pool was very crowded, there's not really a beach just hammocks on a patch of sand (kind of misleading), gift shop reminded me of something that would be at an airport, quick service option was a headache (definitely not an in and out meal and the area for refillable mugs is tiny), the rooms reminded me of any standard hotel room, and the pool at night brought a more adult crowd (assuming this was because of convention guests). I know these seem like small complaints but when you're use to the Poly and all of the true Disney magic it has to offer, CSR felt like a nice La Quinta Inn. Some of this might have been a result of what time of year I was there but my experience is one that I have heard repeatedly on these boards. Okay I'll get off my soap box, I just can personally relate to the decision you're making and I wish I hadn't stayed at CSR. Either way you'll have a magical trip and there is no such thing as a bad day at Disney especially if you're staying on-site :)

We have not stayed POFQ of POR but we are completely in love with the Poly and we spent our last vacation at CSR to save money.

What we liked about CSR:
-Rooms are beautiful. Nice decor. Love the solid wood sliding door (vs curtain at other mods) to close off the bathroom vanity area. Mousekeeping was good.
-Bus service was great. No long waits and we always had a seat. Bus Stops are covered with some bench seating, overhead fans, music, and vending machines.
-Pools are fantastic. The Dig Site pool is awesome with a great slide, nice pool bar/CS poolside, playground area poolside and very nice, large, clean restroom facilities. The "quiet" pools are also very nice. The Casitas quiet pool was great since it is next to the fitness/spa area, there were both towels and a restroom.
-Nice variety of food and drink options.
-The theme/decor/landscaping is stunning and feels very deluxe.

What we did not care for:
-Rooms were much smaller. We knew this going in and planned ahead with hanging shoe and shelf organizers. It became an issue when I got sick our last night there and we needed to extend our stay a day. Such a small room made for an unpleasantly close environment when I needed rest and the kids and DH were tired of hanging out around the resort.
-There was a lack of urgency/importance at the food venues regarding my daughters food allergies and our last meal was almost a complete disaster when she was served egg noodles when I had been promised they didn't even HAVE any noodles containing eggs during our first visit when talking with the chef. It was not true.....
-The above as well as some issues with the front desk during my illness may have been complicated by the fact that most of the workers at CSR seem to speak English as a second language. Just be aware.
-Resort is very large. We stayed in a preferred room in Casitas and were so glad we did. It made the trips to the bus stop and El Centro much easier but it was a hike to the main pool. Because the main pool was only visited once a day, it made more sense.

For your problem related to drinks in the evening, you could have one adult go to the laguna bar and get a round to bring back to the main pool or one of the quiet pools. There is nothing super interesting for the kids at the laguna bar area other than looking at the water in the lake or sitting at one of the tables and playing with some brought-along toys, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter