Poll -- Should There Be Changes To The Rent/Trade Board?

Should We Change The Rent/Trade Board?

• Yes -- Let's create a subforum for rental questions.

• No -- I like things just the way they are.

Results are only viewable after voting.

calypso*a*go-go

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I was thinking it might be a good idea to change the Rent/Trade Board to include two forums -- one for rental transactions, and the other for questions from renters. The reason for this is due to the many threads that have taken over the DVC/Planning Boards with the same questions over and over again regarding ME, DDE, etc.

There is definitely a line being drawn between the people that choose to rent their points out vs. those that don't. Because so many renters are new to these boards, they aren't aware of some of the trigger points that have caused threads to be shut down.

Why not create a forum where renters can feel comfortable asking questions (without being flamed) that can be answered by members that are possibly looking for a temporary home for their unused points.

What do you think?

Well, so far, I voted, and everyone can see how, I was first (just one vote on the poll)!

Yes, I think it's time some of these renters get their questions answered from people who want to rent point, and maybe it would be easier for them to do the search function on a particular forum.

It's not a big thing, I guess, but I'm tired of seeing questions that seem to be the same ole' thing, wanting the very best room in the DVC building and wondering if they can get the dining plan, oh yes, is there maid service!!

Bobbi :)

I have a very good feeling that things are going to stay as they are, but it would really help the renters to have a forum for their general questions. I was a renter very recently and new to the whole experience. I know it would have helped if there was a forum or sticky outlining the basic questions. However, I never asked about discounted tickets, how many could be on the dining plan, maid service, etc. My questions were more about what to look for and to get the experts to review my point calculations. I know that renters would probably feel a lot safer posting in another area full of fellow renters. I'm probably going to rent some of my points out soon so I skim the rent/trade board a lot to learn how to post my listing, but I see a lot more questions rather than advertisements on there than I used to. That's just my 2 cents

I agree that turning the Planning board into the Rental Question board is divisive.

For those that don't rent points, why should they answer the same questions over and over and not my attitude, but I can see where it is a legit concern.

Those that do rent points, are trying to protect their interests.

There should be a place for renters to ask their questions and many times other renters can help them.

Members have a vested interest in DVC and Owners and Renters have different concerns. To think we should all be one big happy family is a little too optimistic imo.

asked about discounted tickets, how many could be on the dining plan, maid service, etc.

How many Towels ? :teeth:

Personally, i think all these questions should be pm'd to the member that rented the points to them. If members want to rent their points ( I don't have any problem with members renting points) and make the ressies. Then they should pass on all or any info needed. It is not up to the members on the dis board to add dining its up to the member that rented the points to decide if they want to make the arrangements.

or maybe their should be a sticky post at the top of the rent/trade board,
"please read for FAQ about renting" and try to minuim the renting questions.

I need a few points anyone renting, oh i also have a few FAQ too ? :lmao:

There are some changes being planned for the DVC forums, but a Renters only board is not in the plans at this time.

I think a well written sticky on the rent/trade board with the in's and out's of DVCing would be very helpful.

Perhaps we need a person now and then to say "DO A SEARCH!!!"

I think a subforum is an excellent idea. I'm sensing an extreme amount of fatigue on both sides of the equation. I used to browse the R/T boards when I was bored but now I just steer clear of there completely.

I agree. People do not use the 'search' feature on these boards when they should. I remember when we were buying DVC several years ago. I don't think I asked one question (well, back then I was a little more shy). I just searched and searched until I found the answer.

I rarely respond to renters questions. I always WANT to respond when they ask where the best room is :lmao: . But the problem is so many people want to share information that it is getting out of hand. Raises way too many expectations.

Yes, renter's questions should be PM'd to the person renting or put on the rent/trade board. I avoid that board anyway.

calypso*a*go-go said:
I was thinking it might be a good idea to change the Rent/Trade Board to include two forums -- one for rental transactions, and the other for questions from renters. The reason for this is due to the many threads that have taken over the DVC/Planning Boards with the same questions over and over again regarding ME, DDE, etc.

There is definitely a line being drawn between the people that choose to rent their points out vs. those that don't. Because so many renters are new to these boards, they aren't aware of some of the trigger points that have caused threads to be shut down.

Why not create a forum where renters can feel comfortable asking questions (without being flamed) that can be answered by members that are possibly looking for a temporary home for their unused points.

What do you think?
I'm a renter not an owner. I know probably taboo to answer this question. But do any of you owners go to any of the other boards? Its like that over there to, not just here. The same questions and answers over and over.

Plus my owner I rented from is a new owner and is not as knowledgable as some of you "old-timers"

roliepolieoliefan said:
Plus my owner I rented from is a new owner and is not as knowledgable as some of you "old-timers"

They should take the responsibility then and consult their member guide for your questions and provide the answers to you. It's their responsibility to make sure you have all the information you need.

I guess us "old timers" are just getting tired of the same old questions. :bored:

Besides any one that stays around long enough knows we are a crotchety old bunch anyway, even us younguns. :)

I think a sticky or subforum would be very nice, since a new forum is not in the plans. :thumbsup2

or at least a FAQ for Renters:

lisareniff said:
I think a well written sticky on the rent/trade board with the in's and out's of DVCing would be very helpful.

I nominate you, do we have a second. :lmao:

Sammie said:
I guess us "old timers" are just getting tired of the same old questions. :bored:

Besides any one that stays around long enough knows we are a crotchety old bunch anyway, even us younguns. :)

I think a sticky or subforum would be very nice, since a new forum is not in the plans. :thumbsup2

Especially the group from the OKW Retirement Village. ;)

lisareniff said:

I agree a well written sticky would help all of us 'newer types' who are really interested in renting before we buy!

Although, I do use the search function, it is some times hard to find what I am looking for. I feel like I dig and dig and read and read. Sometimes it is just a bit easier to ask the quesiton. I know on other boards questions are asked over and over. I tend to just skip over them if I get tired of answering the same things. :)

Sammie said:

Well like I stated earlier take a walk over to the resort, restaurants, or parks page and on any one given day, you'll see the same question asked over and over again. I sometimes see the same question on the first page by 2 different people.

So its not something new.
I know alot of renters on here try to get all the perks of DVC. I seen a couple questions on here regarding perks of renters and thought, OH NO! Because if I was an owner I would be upset too.
When I did a search I found the answer to my question, but it was from a while ago. I didn't know if things changed since then.
Do what we do in the other forums, if you see a subject asked over and over and you're sick of even seeing the words. Just skip over it. :thumbsup2

I do really appreciate all the info you guys give me. And being new to this, there are things I didn't even know to ask. So when I see it, I think boy I'm glad someone asked that because I wouldn't have even known to.

But a FAQ for renters would be great. It probably would have answered most of my questions.

TCPluto said:
They should take the responsibility then and consult their member guide for your questions and provide the answers to you. It's their responsibility to make sure you have all the information you need.

Amen Brother! Preach on!

-Tony

I'm a first time renter. I would have loved a sub-forum just for renter questions. The Search feature is often not working on the DIS so that's not really a great option.

As for the member answering all the questions, as a renter, I had lots of questions BEFORE I even contacted anyone about renting. I needed to know all the facts before I made a decision.

So YES a sub forum would be awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter