Poll: Should Disney Ban iPads From the Parks?

Should Disney ban full-size iPads/tablets from the parks?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 200 40.2%
  • No, thank you!

Votes: 104 20.9%
  • Just in certain areas like parades, shows and rides...

Votes: 187 37.6%
  • Other (because someone once said you should always have an other option)

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they are sitting in front of you at a show and they hold it up in front of you, then essentially you're watching the show through someone's ipad. That's the problem.

Also, not everyone feels comfortable complaining about it. Maybe there were people around you who were annoyed, but they didn't say anything. Some people just aren't confrontational.

I'd like to think most people would be considerate if you asked them to lower their iPad, but you just never know. The unknown reaction that some people may have to being asked, can be stressful.

True, I can't control their response, but I can control my approach. The point I was trying to make is that asking doesn't always equate to being confrontational or complaining, like I took your post to mean. Things can always be handled respectfully and in a non-confrontational manner. However, if people are not comfortable with asking nicely, then it's on them to be annoyed through a parade, show, concert...

Yes, they block views during parades/fireworks and it is annoying (main reason). Also, they don't even take the best pictures, so I have never understood or wanted to bring an iPad. Plus, they are much larger than a phone or camera!

Yes. Exactly.

On my last trip there was a lady with a full size iPad recording wishes. She was half way blocking my view.

I don't get it. It's annoying and inconsiderate.

I don't see why everybody cares so much about what other people are doing. If someone wants to record with their iPad what's the big deal? I enjoyed using my selfie stick on my last trip and outside of one person at wishes I got no complaints about it.

If you want to be able to tour the parks without being annoyed at other guests than pony up the $10,0000,0000,000 to rent MK for a day for yourself. But as long as we're all in this together we should be considerate of each other. If a person wants to tape a ride/fireworks/parade with their iPad that is up to them. Why do you think you should be able to criticize them? Just mind your own business and leave other people alone.
If the person holds their iPad in front of their face instead of where it blocks the view of others that would be fine but that is not what happened to the previous poster.

Well they also ban coolers and bags over a certain size so there is no reason they can't ban electronic devices used for filming over a certain size.
Hey, if you want to look like an idiot holding up you ipad, go for it. When your idiocy turns to inconsideration for those people behind you then you or your device need to go.

Yes, the 'say' they ban them (just like heelies) , but every trip we see some of each - don't know how they get through the baggage area, but some are pulled behind with a handle and could be 'very' dangerous in a crowd!

Last edited:
I love my ipad, but I don't take it into the parks. Quite frankly, the picture and video quality on iPads isn't all that awesome. I'm not sure why people think it's worth ruining other people's experiences just to get a crummy video that they'll probably never want to watch again. I'd be all for banning them (as photo/video devices), but it will never happen.

True, I can't control their response, but I can control my approach. The point I was trying to make is that asking doesn't always equate to being confrontational or complaining, like I took your post to mean. Things can always be handled respectfully and in a non-confrontational manner. However, if people are not comfortable with asking nicely, then it's on them to be annoyed through a parade, show, concert...

I agree. Approach is everything. And good for you for speaking up.

But I guess, you always have to be aware that the party you're talking politely to might not take nicely to you suggesting to lower or move the iPad. I did speak up once (about a different issue - people were talking loudly to one another at a show) but when I tapped them on the shoulder, they suddenly didn't speak English and they ignored me. They were speaking English at first and then switched to Spanish when I asked them to be quiet.

Things can always be handled respectfully and in a non-confrontational manner. However, if people are not comfortable with asking nicely, then it's on them to be annoyed through a parade, show, concert...

I've been a public school teacher for over 20 years so I'm well practiced being polite and respectful when dealing with difficult situations with both parents and older children. I'm actually quite good at it- saves a lot of stress.

When I tried to do this at the MK, it resulted in an angry woman who permitted her family to then be rude to me and my daughter. Her teenage son then followed us around until I went to a cast member. Later we discovered they were staying at the BC where we were when the boy began harassing my daughter in SAB. The lifeguard didn't know how to handle it and the boy's mother said we were harassing them in the park. I had to go the the hotel manager. They moved us to the WL and gave us a club level room.

Even though Disney was nice to us, that trip is one we don't like to think about now. Never again will I respectfully complain to another guest there unless they are putting me or my family in danger.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected this to happen. You just don't know how people will react in the world we live in today.

I've been a public school teacher for over 20 years so I'm well practiced being polite and respectful when dealing with difficult situations with both parents and older children. I'm actually quite good at it- saves a lot of stress.

When I tried to do this at the MK, it resulted in an angry woman who permitted her family to then be rude to me and my daughter. Her teenage son then followed us around until I went to a cast member. Later we discovered they were staying at the BC where we were when the boy began harassing my daughter in SAB. The lifeguard didn't know how to handle it and the boy's mother said we were harassing them in the park. I had to go the the hotel manager. They moved us to the WL and gave us a club level room.

Even though Disney was nice to us, that trip is one we don't like to think about now. Never again will I respectfully complain to another guest there unless they are putting me or my family in danger.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected this to happen. You just don't know how people will react in the world we live in today.

Interesting (and scary) comment. I'm so glad they moved you.

I agree though, I don't confront strangers. It's just not worth it. Most people won't go nuts, but you never know who will become enraged.

I hope this frenzy of recording everything stops. You can't ride a dark ride anymore without the ambient light of some camera, phone, or iPad screen. Funny thing is that most people will eventually erase the video anyway when they discover how lousy the recording quality or to free up space.

I hope this frenzy of recording everything stops. You can't ride a dark ride anymore without the ambient light of some camera, phone, or iPad screen. Funny thing is that most people will eventually erase the video anyway when they discover how lousy the recording quality or to free up space.
Couldn't agree more!

Maybe I should've shared what happened in my story above. The woman was with 4 kids, 3 tweens and one older teenage boy, and another adult female. They were sitting on the ground in front of us during the pm parade and we were standing. All 6 of them started blowing bubbles in the middle of the parade. The breeze from the floats going by blew the bubbles back onto us and the other people around us. It was also getting on our cameras while we were trying to take pictures. It was a sticky mess. Everyone was getting irritated so I politely told the mother what was happening. She told me we were welcome to move if getting a little wet was going to make us melt. Then they began blowing more bubbles even faster and joking about it. Another guest then spoke up and wasn't so nice about it. It was a big guy and I think the woman felt intimidated. However, she shot us a nasty look like it was our fault for starting something.
So that's the story!

I voted "no" not because I own an iPad, and not because I have never been annoyed by them, but because it's possible to get entirely TOO carried away banning things.

Banning selfie sticks made sense, because they were causing ride stoppages, potentially threatening the physical safety of guests, and also because numerous other tourist venues had already banned them, so there's less expectation among visitors that they would be welcome at Disney. People are starting to learn that they can't bring them into museums, theme parks, galleries, etc.

Banning iPads does not make sense, because they are not causing ride stoppages and they are not a threat to anyone's physical safety. Also, people do use them to access MDE. And I can't think of any major venue anywhere that has banned iPads. It's reasonable to expect to be able to bring your iPad to the park.

Similarly, though one family might have been jerks with their bubbles, you will never see Disney ban bubbles in their parks. Cast members blow them in the Future World breezeways. Disney sells bubble wands from carts. Multiple shows (Great Movie Ride, Muppet Vision, Little Mermaid, Mickey's Philharmagic) feature bubbles as part of the show. Christmas "snow" is nothing but soap bubbles!

I understand the desire to issue bans. There've been times I'd have liked to ban everyone over six feet tall from curbside at parades, ban jerks who make ook-ook noises at the gorillas in Animal Kingdom, ban people who wait half an hour in line and STILL don't know what to order when they get to the cash, ban slow walkers and path blockers and everyone who thinks their ECV is a formula one race car.

But then I realize that the list of annoying things people do is endless, and in short order I'd end up banned myself.

So best to be judicious when it comes to handing down bans. The fewer rules the better. It increases the odds we'll actually abide by them!

I don't see why everybody cares so much about what other people are doing. If someone wants to record with their iPad what's the big deal? I enjoyed using my selfie stick on my last trip and outside of one person at wishes I got no complaints about it.

If you want to be able to tour the parks without being annoyed at other guests than pony up the $10,0000,0000,000 to rent MK for a day for yourself. But as long as we're all in this together we should be considerate of each other. If a person wants to tape a ride/fireworks/parade with their iPad that is up to them. Why do you think you should be able to criticize them? Just mind your own business and leave other people alone.
For every one person who spoke up, I guarantee there were twenty who were equally annoyed, if not more.

Anyone using an iPad to video or take pictures is an idiot. MOST of them aren't even close to resolution on people's phones

Banning bubbles? Never intended to go there! My post was about speaking up respectfully!

:rolleyes:

In one day at MK we had two shows destroyed by an ipad, my child couldn't see a thing. It's awful that people are so rude, and I wish they would at least attempt to discourage the use at all shows. They could have an announcement asking people to be considerate and not to hold their screens up blocking others. I'd prefer a ban but if that's not happening, then at least an attempt to remind people they are not alone in the parks would be something. It stinks to wait an hour for a show and have it destroyed like that. Many public places, schools, auditoriums do this now. I am sure rude people would still do as they pkease but maybe those who do it without realizing the problem they cause would think twice.

So then you think it's "considerate of others" to put your selfie stick up in the air in front of others? The problem is that many others don't see it that way.

I don't care if someone wants to use an ipad to record things. I only care if they hoist it above eye level in front of others. And unfortunately there are far too many who seem to think that's not inconsiderate.

I don't even care if they hoist it above eye level if they do so when they claim their spot, so I know to find a better place to sit or stand before the place fills up. At least with tall people you know what you're getting. It doesn't "sneak up" on you at show time. But the ipad crowd waits until the very last minute to hoist it up, leaving no ability for the people around them to find a new spot.

In one day at MK we had two shows destroyed by an ipad, my child couldn't see a thing. It's awful that people are so rude, and I wish they would at least attempt to discourage the use at all shows. They could have an announcement asking people to be considerate and not to hold their screens up blocking others. I'd prefer a ban but if that's not happening, then at least an attempt to remind people they are not alone in the parks would be something. It stinks to wait an hour for a show and have it destroyed like that. Many public places, schools, auditoriums do this now. I am sure rude people would still do as they pkease but maybe those who do it without realizing the problem they cause would think twice.

I agree. There's a certain number of people who will comply if there's an announcement is made. Sure there are some who won't, but why not try to at least diminish the numbers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter