Police Chief Indicted in Westfield, Ma child Uzi Tragedy.

DH says that it has a very short barrel, its powerful and when you pull back on the trigger it continues to fire. If its recoiling, it recoils up and he probably panicked at the force and continued to squeeze it. DH has seen soldiers on the firing range have difficulty handling the recoil and not letting go of the trigger.
It seems that a police officer who trains others in the use of this weapon would understand it more than anyone.

Does the police force in Westfield Massachusetts get trained in the use of Uzis?? Or do you mean he trains people at the gun club to use Uzis?

Being an expert in treating patients doesn't make one an expert in the capability of firearms. It was a huge misjudgment but someone who handles these type of weapons and is involved in training others to handle them, should really be the one who exercises better and informed judgment.

I think the parent is ultimately responsible. I guess we just disagree.

How horrible for the little boy's family...how horrible. :sad1: I saw the child's photo on another website and he is absolutely a doll. :sad1:

So was the chief right there handing the gun to the child? Or was he just a producer of the event?

MIkeeee

So was the chief right there handing the gun to the child? Or was he just a producer of the event?

MIkeeee

From what I understand the Chief was not. I understand it as the dad was one of them that handed him the gun.
The dad turned to get his camera just as it happened.
But I still think should charge the dad.

Was the Chief actually there? I imagine that that will have a bearing.

I'm another that feels the father is at least partially responsible. At the same time, I agree that he will in a way pay for this for the rest of his life. It's just horrible.

From what I understand the Chief was not. I understand it as the dad was one of them that handed him the gun.
The dad turned to get his camera just as it happened.
But I still think should charge the dad.

Then you misunderstood the articles that have been published.
Furthermore, it is doubtful that anyone not directly supervising or shooting would have been allowed in near the firing area.
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-uzideath1205.artdec05,0,1671869.story

Excerpts from the above article that are notable:

As Christopher fired at a pumpkin, the Uzi's rapid rate of fire — 1,700 rounds per minute — caused the gun's barrel to climb and the boy lost control of the weapon, said William M. Bennett, the Hampden, Mass., district attorney who announced the indictments Thursday.

A flier advertising the event read: "No age limit or licenses required to shoot machine guns, hand guns, rifles or shotguns," and "It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required."

The grand jury did not indict Christopher's father, Dr. Charles Bizilj, who was standing nearby preparing to snap a photo of his son when the accident occurred. Bennett said Bizilj will be punished each day for the rest of his life.

Bennett said Bizilj selected the small weapon for his 4-foot-3, 66-pound son to fire after being assured it was safe. Bennett said the father was not charged because he was a layman and based his decision on information from others who should have known it was too dangerous.

The district attorney said a 15-year-old familiar with guns, but not a certified instructor, accompanied Christopher to the firing line and was there when he shot himself. The boy will not be charged, Bennett said.

Furthermore, it is doubtful that anyone not directly supervising or shooting would have been allowed in near the firing area.
QUOTE]

I find that ironic since after all they were letting a CHILD shoot the gun. I know its for safety reasons, hence the irony. They are well aware of the dangers and the accidents they may happen, why on earth would an 8 year old be allowed to handle such a weapon is beyond me.
JMHO but I do think the father should have been charged with something. Ultimately it was his responsibility to keep his child safe, and it was him who gave permisiion for his son to shoot that gun.

QUOTE]

I find that ironic since after all they were letting a CHILD shoot the gun. I know its for safety reasons, hence the irony. They are well aware of the dangers and the accidents they may happen, why on earth would an 8 year old be allowed to handle such a weapon is beyond me.
JMHO but I do think the father should have been charged with something. Ultimately it was his responsibility to keep his child safe, and it was him who gave permisiion for his son to shoot that gun.

I think the DA answered your question when he said;

"Bennett said Bizilj selected the small weapon for his 4-foot-3, 66-pound son to fire after being assured it was safe. Bennett said the father was not charged because he was a layman and based his decision on information from others who should have known it was too dangerous.

I don't know. I'm a layman too but I would never allow a child to handle such a gun. It just doesn't seem sensible.

"Bennett said Bizilj selected the small weapon for his 4-foot-3, 66-pound son to fire after being assured it was safe. Bennett said the father was not charged because he was a layman and based his decision on information from others who should have known it was too dangerous.

Well I think the DA missed the boat on not charging the dad. He should have known better.
If the father drove drunk with the child in the car and the boy was killed he would have been charged.
I

Like I said it is my opinion. As a parent I am responsible for teh safety of my child. If it had been me and someone told me that was a safe weapon for my child to shoot, I still would not have let him do it. My instinct and common sense will never come second to someone else's assurance when it comes to MY child. Unfortunately for that child, and his family the father didn't use either in this case :sad1:

Well I think the DA missed the boat on not charging the dad. He should have known better.
If the father drove drunk with the child in the car and the boy was killed he would have been charged.
I

For some reason what you are quoting shows it was posted by myself :confused3 but that isn't correct. I believe that your quote was originally posted by Dawn

DH says that it has a very short barrel, its powerful and when you pull back on the trigger it continues to fire. If its recoiling, it recoils up and he probably panicked at the force and continued to squeeze it. DH has seen soldiers on the firing range have difficulty handling the recoil and not letting go of the trigger.

A friend of mine who is in the service said the same thing. Apparently it is a common reaction even among adult men. I can't imagine handing an 8 yo a weapon like that!

I have to say that I am shocked that the Police Chief owns the business that co sponsored this event. Those who have experience with firearms, are involved in training, etc, should know the limitations of a child and weapon of that size.

I agree! I can understand an uninformed parent who doesn't really understand the difference between a gun like that and the hunting rifles and handguns that he's probably more familiar with making a bad decision. I can't understand trained, experienced people making the same bad decision.

I also feel the dad should have been charged. Of course I bet the mom will just take care of that, I know I would. ;)

A flier advertising the event read: "No age limit or licenses required to shoot machine guns, hand guns, rifles or shotguns," and "It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required."

Since it was completely legal for that child to hold the gun, I'm kind of confused why that man was indicted? :confused3 Yes, a young boy was tragically killed, but he was allowed to hold that gun, anybody could, even a toddler since there wasn't an age limit. (I know a toddler would never be able to handle a gun, but it's just an example.) Should a little boy have been holding an Uzi, no but that was the father's decision to let him hold that, not the vendors. I know that that father will live with this horrible event everyday for the rest of his life and I'm sure he wishes he could go back and change it.

I'm also wondering if there was a disclaimer on the fliers, like saying that the organization who runs the event and the vendors aren't responsible if there is an accident?

I don't know. I'm a layman too but I would never allow a child to handle such a gun. It just doesn't seem sensible.

Dawn is clearly on the side of the father, no matter what. Poor, ignorant man (a doctor, no less!) who had no clue an UZI was dangerous for his, what, 3rd grader? Who probably wasn't allowed to walk to school alone or ride his bike more than a couple blocks by himself. I said it on the first thread, and I'll say it again...this was STUPID and horribly negligent. I don't care how many people tell me something is safe for my children, I am supposed to know better and protect them. Of course they aren't going to find him criminally negligent, but he is proximately responsible for this accident, in my opinion. I can't imagine what the poor mother is going through. I love my husband with all of my heart, but I don't know that I could ever look him in the face again if he had let this happen to one of our children. YES I would blame him. It's pure stupidity. And now a little boy is dead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter