• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Podcast Cruise 6.0!!! Official Info

Ok, so please correct me if I'm wrong....on My Time dining, I pick the time I want to eat and where? And with the set time, we would go to the same place each night? On DCL we sat with the same people and a had the same servers ( I liked that because they knew what we liked)
But I also like the idea that we can pick where to eat on My Time.....guess some more research is in order.
The "where" on ships I've been on was the main dining room. I haven't been on an Oasis-class ship, so I don't know if any other dining venues are an option.

Ok, another dining question....(sorry I don't mean to keep comparing to DCL, but that is the only experience I have) on DCL with the rotational dining, each dining room had a different theme and difference food....When you go to the same dining room on RCCL do they change the food options each night? Also, is there a buffet that is usually open most of the time? (like for Breakfast or lunch)

This is one of the big debates in the cruise community: assigned dining vs. open dining. There's no right answer. It is very much personal preference.

We've sailed 3 times on Carnival, which has assigned dining. Our last cruise was on Norwegian which pioneered the concept of "freestyle" dining. We didn't like it at all! At least on that cruise, we found that it doesn't really measure up to the publicity: Eat when you want, where you want. More than once, we went to the dining room only to be told there was a 45 minute wait for a table. That doesn't happen when you have an assigned dining time and reserved table. A couple of nites, we ended up eating at the burger place or poolside grill because we wanted to eat then, not 45 minutes later.

So I'm glad that RCL still offers the traditional plan with a set time. Also, as Cheri noted, it's nice to get to know your servers. If they're good, and most of them are, they remember your preferences. If your kid cuts the crust off his sandwich the first day, chances are that on subsequent days, it will be served with the crusts already removed. If you always order an iced tea when you sit down, by the 2nd or 3rd day, there will be an iced tea waiting for you when you arrive. That kind of stuff can't happen with open seating.

I think I will be changing to a set time for dinner....I don't like the idea of being told it will be a 45 minute wait....not saying that "will" happen, but I don't want to risk it. And as some one else said, we don't have to go if we don't want to as there are many other options.

There are multiple ways to eat on My Time. You can book in advance of sailing for what time you want each night....can be same time or different times. You can book for the week once onboard, again same or different times. You can book in advance each day, once you know what your schedule is, or you can show up at the restaurant and get seated at the next available table.

To me this is why I love My Time Dining.

On DCL I have one set time to eat every night, no matter what my plans are for the day, port or sea day, etc. if it doesn't work for me, my choices are room service, buffet restaurant (depending on the night) or chicken fingers from the pool deck!

On RCL, there is one dining room, with one level dedicated to My Time. The menu does change, BUT, if I don't want to eat in the dining room I have multiple options around the ship. I can eat when I want, the ultimate in flexibility for my cruise style!

Thanks for the My Time dining info, Tracey. I was confused about whether it meant you had to eat at the same time each night, which would seem to defeat the purpose. I also found this on Royal Caribbean where you can get a discount for booking ahead if you're planning to eat at several of the restaurants that cost extra.

http://royalcruisesonline.com/promos/Sp_res_1213.pdf

Also, is there a buffet that is usually open most of the time? (like for Breakfast or lunch)

It looks like there is more than one buffet option for breakfast and lunch (Windjammer and Solarium) and that Windjammer's buffet is available for dinner (although Solarium is sit down for dinner and costs extra)

Lots to learn. Fortunately, there's lots of time!

Laurie

Thanks to all for the replies......and you are so right Laurie....lot's of time to get familiar with this ship.

OK we are trying to decide on things for this cruise. Do they have special guest like they do on the podcast cruse on DCL. In additin did I read correctly that a drink package cost 399.

thanks

OK we are trying to decide on things for this cruise. Do they have special guest like they do on the podcast cruse on DCL. In additin did I read correctly that a drink package cost 399.

thanks

From what I saw on the RCCL website, that is the cost of one of the premium packages. This is something we are going to look into very carefully. For me personally, it's not worth the cost. The lowest package (without alcohol) is $19 a day.....that is the one I might get for myself and grand daughter.

From what I saw on the RCCL website, that is the cost of one of the premium packages. This is something we are going to look into very carefully. For me personally, it's not worth the cost. The lowest package (without alcohol) is $19 a day.....that is the one I might get for myself and grand daughter.

There is one that is just soda that is 6.50 per day for adults and 4.50 for kids.

What I have done on previous RCI cruises is tape a luggage tag on a twelve pack carton or soda and have it delivered to my stateroom by the luggage handlers at the port. Then, I ask my cabin steward to keep the ice bucket filled all the time.

As I look at that picture some more I think I'm actually more mid-ship looking back towards the aqua theater area.

Well I've never been on the oasis so I have no idea where this would be. My husband told me he wanted to do the zip line, I said I'd video him on the zip line.

SAnd on the rccl website they talk about the dynamic dining(corky441 I see that you just mentioned it) what is that exactly. Although I understand it is currently not in place anything can happen in this time frame.

The first thing to understand about the planned changes to dining on the Oasis is that the heart of the plan is a shift from the "Main Dining Room concept" and divide the big multilevel room into different restaurants that have fixed menus.

The new complimentary restaurants that take over the dining room space will be:

American Icon Grill: New Orleans’ famous gumbo. New England clam chowder. Southern buttermilk fried chicken. All your favorite comfort foods homespun in our kitchen with a few creative twists—and freshly served up in a welcoming surround of natural landscapes, iconic photography and décor accents emulating the classic American roadster.

The Grande Restaurant: You are cordially invited to dinner at The Grande Restaurant, where every night is formal night, and every night is a special occasion. From Beef Wellington to Chicken a l’Orange, Roasted Scallops to Sole Almondine, the world’s favorite classic dishes come together in pure opulence at Oasis class’ most elegant dining establishment.

Silk: Weave your way through a vibrant tapestry of pan-Asian flavors as diverse and nuanced as the Far East itself. Turmeric, cumin and red chili in a slow-cooked lamb curry. Ginger and sesame on crusted tuna. Sake-glazed salmon and teriyaki steak. On an eclectic yet balanced menu inspired by Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and Indian cooking.

As well as a new complimentary suites only restaurant that is in space previously occupied by the Viking Crown Lounge:

Coastal Kitchen (Exclusively for Grand suite and above guests): Coastal Kitchen fuses Mediterranean influences with the unmatched riches of California’s bountiful farmlands. Enjoy Pacific Coast favorites like sea bass ceviche or Med-inspired tastes such as fig and prosciutto flatbread, and pair them with an extensive selection of vintages from the golden hills of Napa and Tuscany.

Originally all of these were to operate on a "Make a reservation" kind of approach (the same as My Time Dining). Due to feedback from early guests on the Quantum of the Seas (where this was first introduced) Royal Caribbean has delayed the introduction of Dynamic Dining on Oasis (although all the construction work was done during its recent dry dock in Europe), and has introduced some changes to Dynamic Dining.

There will now be a choice between Dynamic Dining Choice (which operates as described above - make a booking for a given restaurant on a given night at a given time all of your choosing), and Dynamic Dining Classic, where you have a fixed time for dinner, seated with the same people throughout the cruise, and with the same waiter, and that you would rotate through the complimentary restaurants.

This is a new project, and will probably change a little over the next 18 months - but thats how it is working at the moment.

Hope that all makes some kind of sense!

BTW - I'll be coming along too - Cabin 9260

Matt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter