Please- more ?s from a newie considering...

I think DVC would be a great option. You said in an earlier post that you had priced 1 trip in 2012 at $14000 (unless that was a typo). Now I'm sure part of that is travel costs, which don't ever go away, but 160 points right now at AKV are going for around $18000 (give or take a few $$). BUT you can save $$ by eating some meals in the room. Yes, you'll need more than 160 points but if you buy in 2010, you can take a small vacation in that year. A 2 BR villa or a THV (with 3 bedrooms) at SSR can be had for a Sunday to Friday trip for about 145 points in October... There again, home resort has it's advantages. THV's fill up fast so being an owner at Saratoga Springs will get you 11 month booking advantage... Then you bank 2011's points, travel in 2012 and can borrow 2013's points if you need more than 320 points.

So what your saying is that the non-expiring MYWPH & water park tickets are really like 2 tickets- 1 non-expiring for the parks and 1 for the water parks. So if I use 1 of those tickets on Epcot- I can still use it a different day/trip at Blizzard beach?

Keep in mind that the Park Hopper option only applies to the Theme Parks. The Water Parks & More option is number of entrances. If you go to a water park and disney quest on the same day, that would use 2 entrances.

So what your saying is that the non-expiring MYWPH & water park tickets are really like 2 tickets- 1 non-expiring for the parks and 1 for the water parks. So if I use 1 of those tickets on Epcot- I can still use it a different day/trip at Blizzard beach?

Yes, that the way it works. The biggest drawback, as PP said, is the upfront cost of the tickets. However, if you spend $3000 for the tickets on your first trip and it covers your park visits for two trips and the water parks piece for more than that, once its paid, you won't be spending it for 4 more years.

And, you may find that you can even stretch it to cover 3 trips by doing 4, 3, and 3. With the park hopper option, we do always do one park in the AM and one park in the PM so we get to all the parks without having to have a ticket for each day. For us, it is a great way to see what we want all the time without worrying on our 6 night trips each year.

Plus, with DVC, and the times you will go, you will find that doing a commando style tour at the parks become less important because you know you will be back (so those non park resort days or water park days become more of a must each time)

Discounts on park passes (annual passes or otherwise) are merely "perks." The perks may change over time -- or be taken away completely. I'm glad you are evaluating the "costs of ownership/use" including your activity costs -- but do not assume the various discounts will always be offered. (Just saying ...)

the $14k was not incl travel costs...but it did incl park-hoppers and the DDP for 8 ppl.
It didn't incl tax but it also didn't incl any discounts. Disney always offers some sort of discount and I can't imagine in this economy that they'll respond by taking that away- who in their right mind pays rack-rate for a room?
Here's what I'm seeing...a resale dvc in BCV (which is where I would want it) for 200 pts is going for about $17k. That resort is currently $5.15/pt MF which would be $1030/yr. Over the next decade, without being a dvc member, I'd probably go 2-3 times, always with a decent deal or else I just wouldn't go. So that $14k incl mywph & ddp would really be more like $8-10k..depending on the deal. (Based on what I saved on the last 4/3 deal or the option of getting the AP and using the 45% off)
So let's say I'd spend roughly $31k on those trips over 10 years. INCLUDING food & PHs and being able o book 11 (or is is 12 when paying cash?) months out at ANY of the resorts.

In those same 10 years, as a DVC member, I'd go every other year- bc if I didn't- I'd be throwing money away on that $1030 MF. Of course, I'd be spending $$ too- on the food (We'd at least eat dinner out at the parks or resorts and eat cs at any parks...I don't "brown bag" and I don't run back to the room for dinner on vaca- it's just how we roll ;) ) and on those tickets- $2500 minimum- more as the younger ones get past that 9 yr mark (my 6 yr old will be 7 in April and I already have a soon to be 13 yr old. The twins will be 3 in June.) and that price is a minimum regardless of AP or MYWPH- NOT incl the waterpark option bc we'd only even consider that for the oldest 2 at this point.

So- I'd go 5 times:
$17K + $1030/yr currently + $2500 (Lowest poss price) each time= $39800 over 10 years- this does NOT include food and I can only book 11 months out at my home resort.

So, does anyone still think it would be a good deal for us? I'm not being snarky- I'm sincerely asking, and if so, why?

Oh, and, from what I'm reading here- it seems like availability is better when paying cash over dvc?

the $14k was not incl travel costs...but it did incl park-hoppers and the DDP for 8 ppl.
It didn't incl tax but it also didn't incl any discounts. Disney always offers some sort of discount and I can't imagine in this economy that they'll respond by taking that away- who in their right mind pays rack-rate for a room?
Here's what I'm seeing...a resale dvc in BCV (which is where I would want it) for 200 pts is going for about $17k. That resort is currently $5.15/pt MF which would be $1030/yr. Over the next decade, without being a dvc member, I'd probably go 2-3 times, always with a decent deal or else I just wouldn't go. So that $14k incl mywph & ddp would really be more like $8-10k..depending on the deal. (Based on what I saved on the last 4/3 deal or the option of getting the AP and using the 45% off)
So let's say I'd spend roughly $31k on those trips over 10 years. INCLUDING food & PHs and being able o book 11 (or is is 12 when paying cash?) months out at ANY of the resorts.

In those same 10 years, as a DVC member, I'd go every other year- bc if I didn't- I'd be throwing money away on that $1030 MF. Of course, I'd be spending $$ too- on the food (We'd at least eat dinner out at the parks or resorts and eat cs at any parks...I don't "brown bag" and I don't run back to the room for dinner on vaca- it's just how we roll ;) ) and on those tickets- $2500 minimum- more as the younger ones get past that 9 yr mark (my 6 yr old will be 7 in April and I already have a soon to be 13 yr old. The twins will be 3 in June.) and that price is a minimum regardless of AP or MYWPH- NOT incl the waterpark option bc we'd only even consider that for the oldest 2 at this point.

So- I'd go 5 times:
$17K + $1030/yr currently + $2500 (Lowest poss price) each time= $39800 over 10 years- this does NOT include food and I can only book 11 months out at my home resort.

So, does anyone still think it would be a good deal for us? I'm not being snarky- I'm sincerely asking, and if so, why?

Oh, and, from what I'm reading here- it seems like availability is better when paying cash over dvc?

I think that if you would feel forced to go to WDW because you owned DVC, then it is not the right move for you at this point.

We bought because we visited almost every year since 1994 and knew that would continue and once they built BLT, knew it was time.

But, in your situation, while it might save money upfront when thinking about it terms of applying the cost of your next trip toward the purchase of DVC, I think it would put you in to a vacation pattern that you are not yet convinced is one that is right for your family and IMHO, is a reason NOT to buy in to DVC at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter