Please- more ?s from a newie considering...

Tracyplus5

Mouseketeer
So I "slept on it" and thought of a few more...

How long are points good for? Are they only good until the last day of the month before the beginning of your UY?
What happens if you don't bank those points?

Is banking points for saving them to a specific year- or for saving them period. For example, if I have a UY of Feb. and I want to use my 2010 pts for a trip in 2012-(along with my pts from 2011) can I bank those pts for that? Or is it only for the following year?

What is the banking period- the time frame that points for a specific year must be banked by?

If I have 200 pts at BCV and later aquire another 50 at BLT- how does that work when making a res. for either? Can I only call 11 months out with the pts specific to that resort? Or can I make a res 11 months out for BCV using my full 250- even though 50 of those are home BLT pts?

I appreciate the help and thanks to anyone willing to answer- I'm sure the info has been covered before but it can be a bit daunting trying to sift through so much info for specific answers (and the actual Disney site gives me a headache- it's so difficult to find any one place of comprehensive info.) Thanks again!

Banking points allows you to save them for 1 additional UY. So, your 2010 points, if banked, would be good for travel during your 2011 UY.

If you don't bank points, then they are good for travel for only that UY, and yes, the expire at the end of it. So, with a Feb UY, 2010 points not banked would need to be used by January 31st, 2011.

If you buy at a different home resort, you can only use that many points at the 11 month window. Owning 200 BCV and 50 BLT points would allow you to use only the 200 BCV or the 50 BLT points at the 11 month window, unless you have banked points or want to borrow points from each of the resorts. You can not combine the points until 7 months. However, if with banking and borrowing, you can end up with up to 3 years worth of points to use at that 11 month window. Some with different home resorts do this and end up alternating between the resorts each trip, or do split stays every time.

If you add on the BLT from Disney, you will have the same UY. If you buy resale, you may or may not. If it is a different UY, then you can't combine the points for a single night without completing a transfer as different UY's give you different membership #'s.

HTH!!!

So I "slept on it" and thought of a few more...

How long are points good for? Are they only good until the last day of the month before the beginning of your UY?

Points expire the last day before your next use year unless you bank them.

What happens if you don't bank those points?

You lose them.

Is banking points for saving them to a specific year- or for saving them period. For example, if I have a UY of Feb. and I want to use my 2010 pts for a trip in 2012-(along with my pts from 2011) can I bank those pts for that? Or is it only for the following year?

Feb. 2010 points are good until Jan. 31, 2011 or until Jan. 31, 2012 if you bank them. So only a trip in January of 2012 could use the 2010 points. If your use year were later in the calendar you could use the points later (e.g. Dec. 2010 points could be banked and used until Nov. 30, 2012.

What is the banking period- the time frame that points for a specific year must be banked by?

Points can be banked anytime during the first 8 months of your use year.

If I have 200 pts at BCV and later aquire another 50 at BLT- how does that work when making a res. for either? Can I only call 11 months out with the pts specific to that resort? Or can I make a res 11 months out for BCV using my full 250- even though 50 of those are home BLT pts?

11 months reservations can only be made with points from that resort. You would need to call at 7 months to use points from a non-home resort.

I appreciate the help and thanks to anyone willing to answer- I'm sure the info has been covered before but it can be a bit daunting trying to sift through so much info for specific answers (and the actual Disney site gives me a headache- it's so difficult to find any one place of comprehensive info.) Thanks again!

Good luck!

Thank you for the response! I have another ?...
I looked at the dvc site and saw that there are discount annual passes...since I'd probably only go every other year- that wouldn't do anything for me.

Are there weekly pass discounts for dvc members? If so, would someone be willing to post what they are like?

Thank you for the response! I have another ?...
I looked at the dvc site and saw that there are discount annual passes...since I'd probably only go every other year- that wouldn't do anything for me.

Are there weekly pass discounts for dvc members? If so, would someone be willing to post what they are like?
No discount on theme park tickets except for the Annual Pass.

Feb. 2010 points are good until Jan. 31, 2011 or until Jan. 31, 2012 if you bank them. So only a trip in January of 2012 could use the 2010 points. If your use year were later in the calendar you could use the points later (e.g. Dec. 2010 points could be banked and used until Nov. 30, 2012.

So, if I usually vacation in May- would it be better to pick a UY in Dec then in Feb? if I want to bank & borrow from the years surrounding our trip?
How does borrowing work then? Is there a time frame on the trip reagdring points borrowed from the following year?

Annual Passes are currently priced at $489 per adult and $432 per child under 9 (this doesn't include tax) if you live outside the state of Florida. They are good for 12 or 13 months. There are websites for discounted multiple day passes. You can get ParkHopper tickets, which allow you to visit multiple parks on the same day. Then you can add the Waterpark and more option which gets you into Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, plus Disney Quest. You can pay extra per ticket and get the No Expiration option. Then whatever days you don't use one year can be used another. The largest amount of days per ticket is 10. And with the No Expiration, they are technically good forever... So you pay for them now and can use them on numerous future vacations (even after the cost of park admission rises - you are visiting the parks on today's dollar)... It can actually be mind-boggling until you have done it a few times...

Seriously? Can anyone tell me what are the prices like for the annual passes for a family of 7?

New DVC Discounted Annual Passes:
Adults (ages 10+) $389.00
Children (ages 3-9) $344.00

New DVC Discounted Premium Annual Passes:
Adults (ages 10+) $494.00
Children (ages 3-9) $436.00

Excludes separately priced activities and events.

Prices do not include tax.

Annual Passes are currently priced at $489 per adult and $432 per child under 9 (this doesn't include tax) if you live outside the state of Florida. They are good for 12 or 13 months.

These are the non-discounted prices. DVC members currently get $100 off of the non-discounted adult price and $88 off the non-discounted childs price.

Annual Passes will expire 1 year from the date of purchase. If you purchased today, the passes would expire on 12/30/2010.

Could you tell me what a "premium" anuual pass is vs. a regular one?

Thank you for your patience with me! :)

Every Walt Disney World Annual Pass provides:
  • Unlimited admission* for 365 days to the four Walt Disney World Theme Parks
  • The flexibility to go from Theme Park to Theme Park on the same day
  • A wide array of Passholder benefits, such as special Passholder events throughout the year
  • Theme Park parking
*Excludes separately priced activities and events.

Every Walt Disney World Premium Annual Pass provides everything a Walt Disney World Annual Pass provides, PLUS:
  • Unlimited access for 365 days to Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course**, Walt Disney World Water Parks, Disney's Blizzard Beach and Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, Disney's Wide World of Sports® Complex (days of operation depend on event schedule: some events require a separate admission charge), and DisneyQuest® Indoor Interactive Theme Park (excluding prize play games)
**Tee times are required and subject to availability. For tee times, call (407) WDW-GOLF (407-939-4653) or visit disneyworldgolf.com.

So, if I usually vacation in May- would it be better to pick a UY in Dec then in Feb? if I want to bank & borrow from the years surrounding our trip?
How does borrowing work then? Is there a time frame on the trip reagdring points borrowed from the following year?

Both Dec and Feb UY's will work for a May travel--but so will March and April (and probably would be better in the long run). And, I would vote for an April UY, if your typical travel would be in May.

But, I also think that it all depends on when you first want to travel on DVC and when you buy.

If you are not planning to travel on DVC prior to May 2012, then buying in now, regardless of the UY will give you points, even when banked, that will expire before that May 2012 trip.

For example, buying today direct from Disney, will most likely get you 2009 points, regardless of UY. Even banked, these points would expire before that 2012 trip.

Once you are a member, you will always have up to 3 years worth of points to use for a trip (unless you buy a stripped resale contract and then it could take a few years to get to this point).

The current UY points at the time of your travel, banked points from the UY prior, and borrowed points from the UY after travel.

Thank you Sandi. I was actually looking at resale bc I want BCV. I would most likely not be traveling before 2012- unless I bought a resale that had enough pts that would expire otherwise.
I've seen it mentioned somewhere else on this board that having a UY close to when you want to travel is a bad idea. But your saying it's a good idea. Why do you think that April or March would be better?

Break even is about 10 days BUT AP's have other advantages
10/20 percent discount on merchandise at most Disney shops - not all and always pays to ask, 20% discount at some Disney restaurants and access to the Tables in Wonderland program 75 bucks for a year but is a 20% discount at all property restaurants which accept the dining plan which may be a better deal than the dining plan in some cases and only one of you needs to have a TIW card.

On Cash ressies AP is good for 40% pct off at Value and Moderate and 45% at Deluxe and Villa resorts which is better than our DVC discount at same.

If you eat at disney restaurants and buy Disney products you may break even on the passes even without including park admission.

Also if you LOSE your AP Disney will reissue it for free with a photo ID.

So yeah an AP is worth it in many cases.

This quote is from the planning board. I didn't want to hijack the OP and I think my ?s regarding it are more appropriate here. If I'm wrong just tell me and I'll move it ;)

OK- so what I'm wondering is- given all this info and the fact that I'd only be going every other year at most...wouldn't it be more cost effective for me to get an AP in those years and then use the AP related discounts to book my room and instead of the DDP? Either that or wait for the 4/3 deals? I'm wondering if, after a closer look, the DVC would really be right for us?

Thank you Sandi. I was actually looking at resale bc I want BCV. I would most likely not be traveling before 2012- unless I bought a resale that had enough pts that would expire otherwise.
I've seen it mentioned somewhere else on this board that having a UY close to when you want to travel is a bad idea. But your saying it's a good idea. Why do you think that April or March would be better?

You can bank your points during the first 8 months of your UY. Traveling during this time gives you a lot of flexibility if you have to cancel or want to make changes. Plus, if you are traveling on borrowed points and have to cancel, it gives you the remainder of your UY to rebook.

I have a June UY and travel mostly in August. If I ever had to cancel a trip, I would still be able to bank points and if I had borrowed points, I would have 10 months to use them up.

If you are looking at resale, try finding a UY that falls right before travel, although Feb UY will be fine for you as well.

This quote is from the planning board. I didn't want to hijack the OP and I think my ?s regarding it are more appropriate here. If I'm wrong just tell me and I'll move it ;)

OK- so what I'm wondering is- given all this info and the fact that I'd only be going every other year at most...wouldn't it be more cost effective for me to get an AP in those years and then use the AP related discounts to book my room and instead of the DDP? Either that or wait for the 4/3 deals? I'm wondering if, after a closer look, the DVC would really be right for us?

Even with an every other year plan, DVC could work out for you, given that you have such a big family and will need the larger accommodations that DVC offers (ie: 2 bedrooms) and then you would not have to count on the deals that may or may not continue for Disney.

As for tickets, I agree, the AP might not be the best deal for you on this plan. A non expiring ticket might work out well, depending on the days and length of the trip.

I have read that some get one of the non expiring water parks and more ticket as a way to save for future use at the water parks. For example, if you have a 10 day MWY park hopper with water parks (non expiring), you get 10 days to the parks AND 10 days to the water parks. Even if during your first trip you use up 1/2 the park days and only 1 of the water park days, it would still give you 5 park days and 6 more water park days for future trips (if those are part of your plan and with kids, they might be).

There are ways to make it work in a more cost effective way.

I have read that some get one of the non expiring water parks and more ticket as a way to save for future use at the water parks. For example, if you have a 10 day MWY park hopper with water parks (non expiring), you get 10 days to the parks AND 10 days to the water parks. Even if during your first trip you use up 1/2 the park days and only 1 of the water park days, it would still give you 5 park days and 6 more water park days for future trips (if those are part of your plan and with kids, they might be).

There are ways to make it work in a more cost effective way.

So what your saying is that the non-expiring MYWPH & water park tickets are really like 2 tickets- 1 non-expiring for the parks and 1 for the water parks. So if I use 1 of those tickets on Epcot- I can still use it a different day/trip at Blizzard beach?

That's right. It's like getting 20 park tickets. The only thing is the price of a no-expiration ticket is really high! We have a family of 6 and I've been trying to find a loop-hole in tickets to make it cheaper. The problem is Disney's marketing is smarter than me and have it all figured out! I've found it to be expensive no matter what I do! The no-exp deal is probably the best but I can't get myself to cough up 3 grand for tickets even if I can use them for 2-3 trips!!!

TGM recommends waiting till the end of your trip to add the no-exp option so that you're not paying for it on tickets you'll use that trip. Now I understand that to get the 20 tickets in 10 out of it you'd need to do it upfront. But let's say you know you're going to go to the water pak once this trip...if you go the 1st or 2nd day and then pay for the no-ex on the remaining tickets- that'll save some....right?
Or, can you not do this when you buy tickets through the discount sites?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter