Please help with SSI, my mom is having problems

Jessd

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Goes into NASCAR mo
Hi.

I just don't know what to do. My mom gets SSI, she is disabled, an amputee, kidney transplant. We have another house and rent it to her for less than 1/2 what we pay on it. Reason for this is that I couldn't get the rental amount in the current market. She just started renting it a few months ago.

My grandmother is old and herhouse is un my uncle's name and they decided to put my moms name on there just in case something were to happen. She has nothing other than that to do with the house.

So social security has audited her three times in the past years and never said anything. She just had an appointment with them and they told her that they are going to cut her benefits in half because her name is on that house. They said it would be worse for her to take her name off becuase it then would look like she is trying to hide something.

She was receiving just a little over 500.00 a month. Now she will get about 260 a month. And with this she is suppose to pay rent, utilities and food. She has tried to get assistance for the utllities in the winter and food stamps but nothing.

I just don't know what to do. She was crying and I just feel so bad. She cant afford rent and I know she won't take money from me, not that I have any to give.

Does anyone out there have any advice? Is there anything we can do? Can you even appeal something like that? I am desperate for help right now.

Who put the her name on the house?

Was it done without her knowledge? If so, would someone swear to that in court?

She has been audited 3 times - and they just saw it now? How long ago did it take place?

Yes - you can appeal any SSI or SSD decision.. She would likely need a lawyer that specializes in that though..

I don't see how (or why) they are cutting her check in half if she's not currently receiving any "income" from that house.. That's crazy - $250 a month? Shoot - the $500 a month was crazy!!

There is someone who posts here that works for SS.. Hopefully she will see this and give you some helpful information..

Best of luck to your mom and you.. You're a good DD - trying to help her out..:hug:

thanks. It is so stressful, especially right now with the holidays. My poor mother has had nothing but bad luck all her life. During the kidney transplant, she was given a blood plasma product and contrcted hiv. And of course, we went to a lawyer and nothing can be done about it, they followed all the testing, the doner gave right before the virus was detectable.

I don't understand how social security thinks someone can live on practically no money at all. She was struggling to make ends meet before, now she is depressed.

She receives absolutely nothing from the other house, my grandmother still lives in it. Her name was put on it about 10 years ago after my grandfather died. It was done as a precaution.

I wish that poster would pop in here.. I "think" her user name is Cindy B - but I'm not sure..

Your poor mom.. Neither one of you need this - and especially with Christmas a few days away..
:sad2:

Yes, appeal.

However, I am clearly at a loss because SSI benefits are supposed to be based on what you paid in. Income shouldn't be an issue. Now those benefits could be taxable if she has too much outside income, but it shouldn't impact the benefit itself if she is medically qualified..

The problem is that the OP's mother is getting SSI, not SSDI. SSDI is based on what was paid in over a person's working career. SSI is a welfare program for those who are disabled but who didn't work enough to earn the credits necessary for SSDI. Since it's a welfare program, they take assets into consideration. If the grandmother and brother have enough money, they could possibly buy the OP's mother's share of the property from her. She could use that money to live on until her assets are low enough (>$2000 IIRC) to again get her SSI.

She could use that money to pre-pay for a funeral and for a few other things.

contact a ssi advocate. this is what they live for.

OP what state is she in? I'm currently volunteering with a group here which helps seniors, I can ask tomorrow if anyone can refer you to a similar agency where your mom lives.

The problem is that the OP's mother is getting SSI, not SSDI. SSDI is based on what was paid in over a person's working career. SSI is a welfare program for those who are disabled but who didn't work enough to earn the credits necessary for SSDI. Since it's a welfare program, they take assets into consideration. If the grandmother and brother have enough money, they could possibly buy the OP's mother's share of the property from her. She could use that money to live on until her assets are low enough (>$2000 IIRC) to again get her SSI.

She could use that money to pre-pay for a funeral and for a few other things.

No longer an SSA employee, but this is a great explanation. SSI and Social Security Disability are TWO different things. The field offices handle SSI whereas all payment centers (7 in the country) plus the field offices handle SSDI or disability.

Has she applied for flat Social Security disability? (NOT SSI). Has she applied for Social Security retirement cash benefits-- the ones you get after age 62?

Is she retired?
Divorced?
Widowed?

All those family situations may have an impact on your Social Security CASH benefits. When I worked there, I was amazed at how many people would not know they were entitled to benefits because they had no idea.. no SSA employee told them.

Here's a phrase to use when talking to SSA employees: "DIRE NEED". That is a code phrase to really get things done. I'll repeat it again- DIRE NEED. That phrase should get their attention. Don't be afraid to ask for an appointment with a manager or supervisor. And mention DIRE NEED to them as well.

Forgot one more thing: Write a letter to your local congress person explaining your situation. Your congress member does report all these inquiries to Social Security. Truth be told, congressional inquiries go to a specialized department and in theory do get done faster than regular cases.

Not SSi or SSDI, but I must say that it was only after I contacted my 2 Senators' offices that a similar situation was resolved with my MIL. My FIL had been a government employee. After his death, my MIL, who was disabled and in a nursing home, did not receive her survivor's/pension check for SIX MONTHS. I agree that contacting your Congressperson and/or Senators is a great idea.

Oh, and 'dire need'. Sounds like best intentions have really done a number on your mom...so sorry about all this OP.

agnes!

No advise, but I feel your pain and send prayers that this can be resovled for your dear Mom and she gets all the benefits and assistance she needs. :hug:

Don't give up, the squeaky wheel gets the oil! :thumbsup2

Well, I'm sorry to say but you need an attorney who is well versed in these matters.

As I'm sure you now realize, putting your Mother's name on that house was a huge mistake. Did somebody advise you at the time to take that course of action?

thanks. It is so stressful, especially right now with the holidays. My poor mother has had nothing but bad luck all her life. During the kidney transplant, she was given a blood plasma product and contrcted hiv. And of course, we went to a lawyer and nothing can be done about it, they followed all the testing, the doner gave right before the virus was detectable.

I don't understand how social security thinks someone can live on practically no money at all. She was struggling to make ends meet before, now she is depressed.

She receives absolutely nothing from the other house, my grandmother still lives in it. Her name was put on it about 10 years ago after my grandfather died. It was done as a precaution.

Wow, I would appeal on the grounds that your mom did not own the house and it was placed in her name as a precaution. I am so sorry to hear of all the things that have happened to your mom. That is truly heartbreaking. May God bless and keep her and your family during these times:hug:

I am so sorry your mom is going through this. In retropect your uncle and grandmother shouldn't have put her name on the house, instead they should have done a quick-claim deed where the house would only pass to her if the original owners died. She would have no claim on house before then and it would not be counted against her ssi. Don't know if they can go back and do this now without problems from SS.

No longer an SSA employee, but this is a great explanation. SSI and Social Security Disability are TWO different things. The field offices handle SSI whereas all payment centers (7 in the country) plus the field offices handle SSDI or disability.

Has she applied for flat Social Security disability? (NOT SSI). Has she applied for Social Security retirement cash benefits-- the ones you get after age 62?

Is she retired?
Divorced?
Widowed?

All those family situations may have an impact on your Social Security CASH benefits. When I worked there, I was amazed at how many people would not know they were entitled to benefits because they had no idea.. no SSA employee told them.

Here's a phrase to use when talking to SSA employees: "DIRE NEED". That is a code phrase to really get things done. I'll repeat it again- DIRE NEED. That phrase should get their attention. Don't be afraid to ask for an appointment with a manager or supervisor. And mention DIRE NEED to them as well.

Forgot one more thing: Write a letter to your local congress person explaining your situation. Your congress member does report all these inquiries to Social Security. Truth be told, congressional inquiries go to a specialized department and in theory do get done faster than regular cases.

Thank you so much for all your replies.

My mother is 60 and divorced. I am definitely gong to do the letter to our Congress person. We live in Colorado.

Would a letter to a Congressperson help with SSDI? I have a lawyer and have been denied once.

Hi.

I just don't know what to do. My mom gets SSI, she is disabled, an amputee, kidney transplant. We have another house and rent it to her for less than 1/2 what we pay on it. Reason for this is that I couldn't get the rental amount in the current market. She just started renting it a few months ago.

My grandmother is old and herhouse is un my uncle's name and they decided to put my moms name on there just in case something were to happen. She has nothing other than that to do with the house.

So social security has audited her three times in the past years and never said anything. She just had an appointment with them and they told her that they are going to cut her benefits in half because her name is on that house. They said it would be worse for her to take her name off becuase it then would look like she is trying to hide something.

She was receiving just a little over 500.00 a month. Now she will get about 260 a month. And with this she is suppose to pay rent, utilities and food. She has tried to get assistance for the utllities in the winter and food stamps but nothing.

I just don't know what to do. She was crying and I just feel so bad. She cant afford rent and I know she won't take money from me, not that I have any to give.

Does anyone out there have any advice? Is there anything we can do? Can you even appeal something like that? I am desperate for help right now.

Would it be possible for your mom to live with your grandmother? At least she wouldn't have to pay rent then. Don't know if they live in the same geographic area or if that is possible.

I guess the problem is that you say your mom has nothing to do with the house, but actually she is an owner of that asset. Why was her name put on the house in the first place? You said it was in case something happened...like what? :confused3

I am not that familiar with ssi but my concern would be about your mom's application. Did she have to list her assets and if so did she list her house that she is part owner of? Would social security be able to recover the amount she was "overpaid" before they discovered that she owned the property?

It sounds like your mom needs a lawyer to straighten out this mess.

I am so sorry for your situation and you are being a good daughter trying to help out your mom.

Would it be possible for your mom to live with your grandmother? At least she wouldn't have to pay rent then. Don't know if they live in the same geographic area or if that is possible.

I guess the problem is that you say your mom has nothing to do with the house, but actually she is an owner of that asset. Why was her name put on the house in the first place? You said it was in case something happened...like what? :confused3

I am not that familiar with ssi but my concern would be about your mom's application. Did she have to list her assets and if so did she list her house that she is part owner of? Would social security be able to recover the amount she was "overpaid" before they discovered that she owned the property?

It sounds like your mom needs a lawyer to straighten out this mess.

I am so sorry for your situation and you are being a good daughter trying to help out your mom.

She did in fact list everything about her name being on the house, she never tried to hide anything. When she asked them about that, they said they have been backlogged and are just now getting to it. She was told that she has to pay back two years of overpayment. So on top of living on less than $300 a month, she has to pay them back.

She could probably live with me or my grandmother. Right now she is living with my brother. He was recently released from prison (stupid and I pray to got he has learned his lesson) but he only has a part time job because he can't find a job. He feels so incredibly bad for everything he did and I know he would do anything to make it up to my mom and he wants to take care of her. If he could find a full time job, I think they would be ok, but needless to say, it is really hard to find a job with a criminal record. if they had to move out, I don't know where he would go.

Quick question about writing the congressman. What if any personal information about my mother would I need to include besides explaining her situation?

Would a letter to a Congressperson help with SSDI? I have a lawyer and have been denied once.

As a Disability Adjudicator with SSA, I would warn against getting a lawyer until you are appealing to a judge. A lawyer does nothing for you on the initial appeal of a denial except take some of your money if the inital application is reversed. Also, a letter to a Congressperson does nothing to motivate an adjudicator, we are bound by the laws and requriements set up by the government in the 30's.......then messed with for almost 80 years by each new Congressperson or Senator who has a "great" new solution, this is why it is soooooo hard to understand everything about SSI and SSDI. A judge, on the other hand, can make his own decision without all the weight of proof or severity that a disability adjudicator has to have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter