Please Help.. I'm so confused.. Poly of GF for honeymoon

TamaraJean

Earning My Ears
Okay.. I am so confused.. we have NEVER been to DisneyWorld (neither of us).. we have been going back & forth on so many different resorts.. we thought we had our mind made up to stay at the Poly.. then we went back & forth with BC/YC.. now we have narrowed it down to GF or Poly.. the price difference isn't enough to make a difference to us.. I just love the look of the Poly but I always hear that the GF is "the best".. What is your opinion?

Thanks

If you love the looks of Poly go with that. Everyone has different tastes. You will get opinions good and bad for both resorts. I personally wouldn't let anyone's opinion decide for me. You know what you like go with it.

My husband and I actually decided to spend a night at the poly on our honeymoon(20 years ago) at that time one night was all we could afford. We loved it, the ambiance of this resort left me with warm memories that last to this day.

Last summer my family and I returned to the Poly and stayed in the concierge bldg. and were truly enchanted. I think that the Poly has a romantic tropical feel to its guests, I also enjoy its laid back atmosphere and friendly cms. Grand floridian looks beautiful but seems a little more upscale, which is fine for those who enjoy that type of setting, but the lovely landscaping, the evening tikki torches, the lovely scents of the flowers just combined to equal a a tropical paradise and oasis.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you won't be disappointed and may you be blessed with many happy years together:wave:

I agree: go with your instincts. I had the same dilemma on our first trip and I finally decided on the GF becuase it appealed to me more than the Poly and it turned out to be a good choice for us. I don't know about one resort being 'better' than the other. It depends on your tastes. I think the Polynesian is more popular than the GF, at least it seems to be on these boards.

The GF is very elegant with light and airy decor and a much more 'formal' feel than the Poly. Some people think the GF is 'stuffy', but I don't find it to be that way at all. I feel very at home there and my kids love it (they actually prefer it to the Yacht Club). On the other hand, the Poly is casual, laid back with a very lush and tropical feel. The Poly has better transportation options because you walk to the TTC and take the monorail to EPCOT. Both are equally convenient to MK.

My wife & I went to GF for our honeymoon. As never having been to the Poly, I can't say what it's like, but the GF was awesome.
Plus at the time, the GF had the only 24 hr/7 pool & jaccuzi in WDW. That was a nice treat to go for a late night/early morning swim after walking all day & being out in the sun. Best of luck & have a great time.

ps- stay healthy, I got sick 2 day into out honeymoon and was tough to have a head cold in 90 degree weather when you're supposed to be having fun.

Hi Tamara,

I am just going to give you my vote. I love both resorts but for different reasons. The elegance and victorian accents of old Florida at the Grand Floridian is truly special. This is your Honeymoon and this resort will make your time truly incredible. Service is excellent and rooms quite charming.

The Polynesian is a family favorite in my house. We love the tropical atmosphere, beautiful fragrant flowers on the walkways.. Casual, lots of families, lively.. we do like that as well... Eating at Kona Cafe or O'Hana at the Polynesian, good food and fun, cannot be beat.

Good Luck in your decision....either one I am sure you will be happy with. Marsha

My vote would be for GF but everyone is different.
If you like a truly deluxe resort - along the lines of a Ritz Carlton - bright, fresh, elegant decor. Fabulous dining, a more upscale feel, piano player in the lobby in the afternoons - go w/ GF.
If you prefer a more tropical, LUSH, laid-back feel with excellent transportation and good dining (don't forget, 'Ohana means "family" and the restaurant hosts hula hoop contests and coconut/broom races :jester: ) and darker colors, go with Poly. People really love the Poly. I think you'd be happy with either. Good luck and Congratulationsprincess:

We just honeymooned at the GF in April.

It was amazingly romantic. And relaxing.

There's nothing stuffy about the place.

We walked over to the poly each day. We walked through the building with the shops and we wandered around the paths enjoying the flowers.

It's a very short and pretty walk from the GF to the poly.....so which ever one you chose, you can enjoy the other one too.

Look at photos of the rooms and of the pools.

Those are the only two parts of the resort you can't enjoy if you chose the other one.

Pick the room decor you like best.

You can sit in either lobby, dine in either's restaraunts..etc.

but when it comes time to go back to the room....pick the one that appeals to you most.

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter