Please delete this thread

I am in a worrisome position this year also....my dad and mum are coming with us and I have booked a seperate studio for them. My mum just received a call from her doctor....she has to go for a colonoscopy next week. My mum has already had cancer twice (the most recent bout less than 11 months ago resulting in a complete hysterecomy and the first go around...colon cancer). Needless to say we are all concerned. We travel in less than 4 weeks. Our only fall back if they cannot come will be my dd's boyfriend...he'll have a whole studio to himself...he's only 16. Great kid and they have been dating for a year but other than that we will be in a bind. Planned this trip for my parents because of my mum's health....hoping all turns out.

Good luck to your mom. Thinking of you and your family.

I would reserve what I needed when I was ready to book for me.

I throw hints if there was a possibility of me inviting someone (and mention the possibility of not booking early and getting same resort). Get a feel of how excited or committed they are at that time. Depending on those responses, I might wait as long as possible before officially asking and then reserving something for that party.

I have found that not everyone is as excited about going to WDW (unless of course you are paying for everything) as we are, lol - shocking :) I know.

They do not seem to appreciate the value, the rules, the committment that comes with it. In inviting and actually coming with us, I have had some great, some okay, some so-so and one that I regret asking (and coming) to wdw.

You will ask someone again because we want our friends and family to experience what we get out of it.

I have a trip already booked for the end of August using my DP's and also on points for our first trip home to BLT. Last week DB and DSIL informed me that they wanted to travel at the same time. :scared1:

So I have done all of the research for them, and have given them pages of info to go off of, but am leaving the booking (and paying ) up to them. We aren't going to be staying at the same resort either. I didn't offer my points for fear of getting left holding the bag, since knowing them I would be!

I love my DB and DSIL (and my nieces of course) but there is no way I'm going to book a trip for them! I planned my entire first trip going by what they hated at WDW. If they hated it, I knew I would like it. So we'll meet up for some things, and I'll book some group dinners/ activities so we can touch base and that will be that. Family is great and all, but I work for my DB and don't really want to spend an entire trip listening to him whining and complaining. DSIL and my DN's are another story! :goodvibes

I am in a worrisome position this year also....my dad and mum are coming with us and I have booked a seperate studio for them. My mum just received a call from her doctor....she has to go for a colonoscopy next week. My mum has already had cancer twice (the most recent bout less than 11 months ago resulting in a complete hysterecomy and the first go around...colon cancer). Needless to say we are all concerned. We travel in less than 4 weeks. Our only fall back if they cannot come will be my dd's boyfriend...he'll have a whole studio to himself...he's only 16. Great kid and they have been dating for a year but other than that we will be in a bind. Planned this trip for my parents because of my mum's health....hoping all turns out.

I hope it turns out, too.:grouphug:

Bobbi

OP: It may take awhile for family to understand the constraints of "timeshare." Don't give up too soon. I hope this blows over quickly and you are able to soon look forward to sharing travel and vacations together.

No, no, no. Op give up, give up. It took me 5 attempts and a lot of frustration before I finally took the hint, that my sister can't committ to a trip to the walmart.:headache: and unfortunately I ended up eating the points.
You should have seen my post on the very same topic 2 years ago.

No, no, no. Op give up, give up. It took me 5 attempts and a lot of frustration before I finally took the hint, that my sister can't committ to a trip to the walmart.:headache: and unfortunately I ended up eating the points.

ITA!:thumbsup2 My sister, nieces and brother in law, struggle to get to our house, which is 10 mins from their own house, so I hear ya. My hubby keeps saying it would be cool to have them come with us, and then I bring him back to reality. Our sibs think that DVC is free, no penalties, etc., despite us trying to explain. They don't 'get it' at all, and this is a fire waiting to happen, so since I like to put fires out BEFORE they happen, they won't be joining us anytime soon.

Tiger

:headache: AgggghhhhH!!! I could CHOKE my brother. Last year we invited him, his family & my dad on our first trip "home" this June. We had points banked from the contract we bought, and with this years' pts and some borrowed from 2010, was able to book 6 nights in a 2 BR + a studio at BCV.

In Jan, DB said he's worried about his job (understandable), and can't go because he's afraid to ask for time off. Fair enough. We ask if it's OK if our nephews go cause grandpa still wants to go to WDW with all the grandkids. We're covering the room, grandpa is covering the tickets & we're going to split food expenses, so it's NO money out of DB's pocket. They said yes, that would be fine.

This morning I called Member Services to inquire about cash rate to add 2 nights to the 2 BR and while I'm on the phone, I cancelled the studio that I'd never gotten around to cancelling and banked the rest of our '09 points to 2010.

4.5 hours later, my brother informed me that the boys aren't going now because he and my SIL want to go with them on their first WDW trip. I can understand this, but come on -- you're just now thinking of this?!:headache: :headache: :headache:

So here we are less than 4 months out, stuck with a 2BR for 4 people, and nothing smaller available at BCV. We don't want to stay anywhere else because it's our first trip "home", and we don't want to use all those points for just 4 of us.

We ended up having to book 3 studio nights at SSR and cancel 1 night at BCV to free up some points. We still ended up having to borrow 31 pts from 2010 to cover the difference since I just banked pts this morning.

Lesson learned -- we will NEVER invite anyone to join us again. It is just too much stress and hassle if they back out.:headache:

Here's the thing: You can successfully travel with friends and family IF you go in with the attitude that they may not come.

We book 2 bedrooms for our family of 3, then start inviting people. If they come, GREAT! The more the merrier. If not, GREAT, then we have more room.

We just got back from 8 days at OKW. We had 7 people join us for various nights. One family had to cancel because of job issues. We just took that opportunity to put DS in the other room.

Over the past 12 years, we've had marvelous times with friends and family, largely because we don't lock them into the same constraints that we have. WE KNOW it's a timeshare and is less flexible. Other people don't get that as well.

Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned, but just go with your family of 4, and spread out. Or see if any body else might like to join you for a few days.

I attempted to plan a trip for this August with extended family to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. I gave notice about the plan 18 months out to everyone and told them we would be booking this January at our 7 month window. I figured this was plenty of time to plan (budget) for it for them. In the fall sometime I researched current tix prices plus the avg. price for CS meals etc. and emailed it to them so they could make informed decisions as to whether or not they could afford to go.

The first obstacle was money for everyone. We can only cover accomodations. They have to be able to get themselves down there, feed themselves and buy their own park tix. The next obstacle was the date(s). I wanted to wait for Aug. 16 when the points drop so we could get more for our buck so to speak. Plus my parents anniv. is actually Sept. 5 so I wanted to get as close to their anniv. date as we could...but our DS's school starts the week before Labor Day...so we have to go in Aug. Well, late August doesn't work for nephews that play HS football + one is graduating this spring and joined the Army & leaves for boot camp by Aug. 1 so why can't we go in July (our DS has swim team thru July so that doesn't work for US.) Then another one leaves for college in mid-August. It was just turning into a logistical nightmare to try to please everyone AND have enough points to afford to go. In addition to the lower point costs starting in mid-Aug. we wanted to buy AP's and be able to use them thru summer 2010 too - which means planning to go at least a week or two earlier, throwing us back into "Magic" season. In order to work around summer swim team etc. we didn't want to go any earlier than mid-August so we'd have the time on the passes. :sad2:

My brother showed his true colors to me about it over the Xmas holidays so I decided I was not asking him again. He was very ungrateful & I don't need THAT. Far as I was concerned he made his own deadline on Dec 25 and I crossed him off my list right then. I could feel my parents hesitation in their voices every time I talked to them. So the week before the Jan 16 deadline I offered an alternate choice to my parents that I thought would be cheaper for them (since the whole point was to celebrate their 50th). I told them I could probably get them a studio at HHI for a few days in mid-Sept - just for them to get away. Since we don't own there I didn't know if we could get Labor Day week but I figured probably the following week we could get something. They sounded interested but still were afraid to say yes. So come Jan. 16 I said that's it "times up". We're booking OUR vacation. I cannot do any more. I cannot plan it FOR them and I cannot pay for them. All I can do is offer. But I'm not going to put our points out there and book something "iffy" and then get stood up. I stuck to my orig. 7 mo. booking deadline as deciding yes or no one way or the other. (I did tell my Mom that she could wait until March to change her mind about HHI as we do have enough points left that we COULD still try for something for them if they change their minds.) But I don't think they will. I am not sure if we will ever try this kind of plan again or not. Nobody wants to plan ahead and I can't deal with the indecision. I felt really bad that my grand plan that I'd been working on for over a year fell thru.:sad1: But there's just no way to work it out right now.

My dh and I have discussed this a few times and we will most likely invite family members at some point. We will do it wih the full understanding that we might wind up "eating" the points we spend to accomodate them.

It's not something we'll do lightly.

I am going to be the voice of consent. While I have been in a similar position with inviting friends. I do believe you brother has given you at least 5 month notice? You are technically can adjust your plans and save points. While you may not get to stay at the BC he really isn't costing you anything if you change resorts and bank your points.

I don't think you brother understands how hard it is to get BC this short notice for you to change your plans. That is unfortunate. If he is having money problems or fears a job loss he is doing the right thing. Plus, I also understand them not wanting to let their kids go with someone else for the first time. While I think it is VERY generous of you to offer and pay. I would want to be there for my children's first time.

While this whole situation is unfortunate I don't feel you brother is doing anything wrong by giving you 5 months notice. Most non-DVC/Disboards people do not plan this far in advance. I would be happy if someone gave me 5 months notice.

Well, we've invited my sister to go this year in November with us. She seems really excited to go. She knows she's responsible for her own tix and dining, and whatever else. And she's paying us per point fee for the studio. I hope we'll have a nice trip. It's her 1st ever to WDW. I'm hoping having seperate rooms will work out better. Give us some space.
I've explained to her how DVC works, and we have to cancel the room at least 35 days before the trip to get our points and have enough time to bank them (I know it's 31, but wanted to give a cushion). So, hoping for the best! I am really excited for her to go to WDW, and I know my 2 boys are so looking forward to show her everything. After all, they're experts! :thumbsup2

Yes, I remember your Walmart comment ;)

[soapbox]
On the other hand, my greatest memories as a child were from family (immediate, extended and multi-family) vacations. While these outings were likely non-trivial to arrange I'm greatly thankful for trips to the Jersey Shore each summer in the same rental beach house; multi-family caravans to Schroon Lake; long, lazy days fishing in the Gulf of Mexico while visiting my great-Uncles' and Aunts' vacation home in Biloxi (co-owned by multiple households of the same generation). My husband's stories include roadtrips in "the BUS" -- an RV belonging to his grandparents. Where would we be without the time, effort, monies, patience and love invested by others?

So ... it is our privilege to invite others along. We've only been involved in "timesharing" since 2000 -- but have already built up a collection of priceless memories: Weekends in Oceanside (beach), Palm Springs (desert) and Big Bear (mountains) with my FIL before he passed away; semi-spontaneous trips to Grand Lake (OK) and Branson with my MIL; large family gathering in San Diego just before my youngest brother left for Iraq and a similar gathering to celebrate his return; a tour of western states and National Parks with my folks using various 2BR timeshares along the route; several family gatherings for weddings, 3 last year alone - living well in timeshares; etc.

I'm really quite convinced that our connections to immediate and extended family are strengthened by the times we've shared travel together. Sure, there is a learning curve for all involved. Patience, communication and forgiveness may be exercised (more, perhaps, for some invitees than others). But the return is great!! Keep trying ...
[stepping down from soapbox ....]

Reasons timeshare is a great tool for hosting family, extended family, multi-family and friends:
  • Plenty of locations. Choose a place familiar or new; local or distant; exotic or comforting.
  • The timeshare is neutral territory. Neither "your place" or "theirs." The neutral space defeats the stress of making space for visitors in your home or tip-toeing around someone else's home. This is especially important around the kitchen - everyone is welcome to pitch in as the kitchen isn't "personal territory" for any single family group or member.
  • Clean on entry. No work involved cleaning your place before family descends.
  • Cleaned after exit. No work involved cleaning your place once family leaves.
  • Away time builds better memories. Don't know why this works -- but it seems that we enjoy each other more when we are pulled away from our normal places and routines. (FWIW, our favorite timeshare has no TV, no phone, no alarm clocks or radios in the rooms. This sorta forces us to interact with each other and we love it.)
  • More space than hotels. More space and in a useful, home-like, arrangement.
Just a few ideas!

While I can certainly identify w/ OP's sentiments, we have learned to keep lengthy amounts of time between large group trips for our family-only trips.

Thanks for scaring the heck out of me!!! We have brought my brother in law with us, and we are now bringing my mom and stepdad (in 4 days :banana: ). Next year we are planning on bringing my stepbrother and his entire family to stay with us in the treehouse villas..

I just called him this past weekend to make sure that he is all the way in.. I was going to rent about $1000 worth of points to swing it.. he said he is about "75%" in.. I told him that I was not going to get stuck here. I have decided that I will make him pay me in advance to make sure that I don't get hung out to dry.. that way if he backs out.. I'm still in the clear, and I'm sure that we'll be able to find SOMEONE to come with us!!!

We have learned who we can invite and plan on and who we can't. If you leave us in the lurch, don't expect another invite. Instead, we'll invite teh tried and true ones who always commit and keep their commitments. Now of course, sometimes we reserve a 2 bedroom with no real plans, and if we don't get anyone to come along, we change that to a 1 bedroom just prior to the 7 month window. Sometimes we even wait until the 7 month window and book somewhere other than our home resort too. That's the beauty of DVC. As long as there is time to bank the points or change things, there's no problem. It's those last minute canceller's who are the problem!

Yes, I remember your Walmart comment ;)

[soapbox]
On the other hand, my greatest memories as a child were from family (immediate, extended and multi-family) vacations. While these outings were likely non-trivial to arrange I'm greatly thankful for trips to the Jersey Shore each summer in the same rental beach house; multi-family caravans to Schroon Lake; long, lazy days fishing in the Gulf of Mexico while visiting my great-Uncles' and Aunts' vacation home in Biloxi (co-owned by multiple households of the same generation). My husband's stories include roadtrips in "the BUS" -- an RV belonging to his grandparents. Where would we be without the time, effort, monies, patience and love invested by others?

So ... it is our privilege to invite others along. We've only been involved in "timesharing" since 2000 -- but have already built up a collection of priceless memories: Weekends in Oceanside (beach), Palm Springs (desert) and Big Bear (mountains) with my FIL before he passed away; semi-spontaneous trips to Grand Lake (OK) and Branson with my MIL; large family gathering in San Diego just before my youngest brother left for Iraq and a similar gathering to celebrate his return; a tour of western states and National Parks with my folks using various 2BR timeshares along the route; several family gatherings for weddings, 3 last year alone - living well in timeshares; etc.

I'm really quite convinced that our connections to immediate and extended family are strengthened by the times we've shared travel together. Sure, there is a learning curve for all involved. Patience, communication and forgiveness may be exercised (more, perhaps, for some invitees than others). But the return is great!! Keep trying ...
[stepping down from soapbox ....]

Reasons timeshare is a great tool for hosting family, extended family, multi-family and friends:
  • Plenty of locations. Choose a place familiar or new; local or distant; exotic or comforting.
  • The timeshare is neutral territory. Neither "your place" or "theirs." The neutral space defeats the stress of making space for visitors in your home or tip-toeing around someone else's home. This is especially important around the kitchen - everyone is welcome to pitch in as the kitchen isn't "personal territory" for any single family group or member.
  • Clean on entry. No work involved cleaning your place before family descends.
  • Cleaned after exit. No work involved cleaning your place once family leaves.
  • Away time builds better memories. Don't know why this works -- but it seems that we enjoy each other more when we are pulled away from our normal places and routines. (FWIW, our favorite timeshare has no TV, no phone, no alarm clocks or radios in the rooms. This sorta forces us to interact with each other and we love it.)
  • More space than hotels. More space and in a useful, home-like, arrangement.
Just a few ideas!

Wow....I've decided to save this, so much is how I feel, and about our experiences, traveling with others, at our Cape May home and at our DVC.

Thank you for expressing your thoughts!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Yeah having people back out on you is a pain. I try to be real clear with people on if "we are doing this". Sometimes you just have to know who you are dealing with and expect complications. I like having family n guests around for trips but actually making it happen..........:scared1: Good luck to all when it comes to being the group organizer!

I am going to be the voice of consent. While I have been in a similar position with inviting friends. I do believe you brother has given you at least 5 month notice?

I believe you mean "dissent". ;) Technically, you're right -- 5 months' notice is plenty under normal circumstances. However, we'd had numerous discussions about how this is not like a normal hotel reservation, yadda yadda. We also had the "are you absolutely sure??" conversation probably 10 times before I made the reservation.

You are technically can adjust your plans and save points. While you may not get to stay at the BC he really isn't costing you anything if you change resorts and bank your points.

I was on the phone with MS within 30 min of his news trying to change things, but BCV is very small and has perpetual wait lists for the summer. Realistically, that would never come through.

I know we could save SOME points by switching resorts entirely, but we didn't buy at BCV and call right at the 11 mo window to end up resort hopping or staying at OKW or SSR (the only two with 1 BRs and studios available for the week).

Like I said, we did some changing around and have made the most of the situation, but will plan future trips for just our family.

When I was making plans for this years trip ( made them last summer for this June ) some of my friends who had bailed out on me previously had asked about joining me again ( again? ) this time. I told them I was going with or without them , I booked the room I wanted and let them know the dates. I booked my airfare last week and then sent them an email letting them know what flights Im on . If they join me great , if they dont it wont spoil my one vacation this year !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter