• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Plans?We Don't Need No Stinkin' Plans! Dorky Disboutiquing Diser Sista UPDATED! 9/13

I let Corey sleep
DSCF5472-1.JPG

I told the girls they could lay back down if they wanted to. They were too hyped up to sleep though!

OK, I'm just going to say it

They were

TOO EXCITED TO SLEEP!!!

Shortly enough, Denise's alarm went off and I woke up Corey. Denise laughed when I told her what I had done! Corey and Denise got around quickly and then we were on our way. In the van, Denise told us that the hotel where she made reservations had a shuttle from the aiport we could take if she wasn't back yet. Then, in the mornig we could walk to a restaurant and eat and hang out at the hotel until she came back to pick us up, or she said we could take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and get on the blue line to downtown. She stressed not to take the bus. I was just confused. The El? the Blue Line??? The bus?? how do you pay?? How do you know where to go??
I will not stress, I will not stress...

Brian said, "What? You aren't going to pick us up?"
Denise replied, "No, this was the plan, remember? "
Brian proceeded to give her a bit of a hard time about the whole thing, even though I had told him not to before we got into the van. But, sometimes he just can't help himself and he likes to give his little sister a hard time.
Denise told Brian that she didn't know when they would be getting back from Mackinaw, it could be Saturday or Sunday. She didn't really know when she would be able to pick us up on Sunday either. So, we made sure everyone had cell phone numbers, and I tried not to think about it much. It was too early in the trip to think about the end of it.

Denise didn't live too far from the airport and we got their quickly.
2814168213_a2f9360fd3.jpg

We pulled up to our termindal, got all our stuff, gave Denise hugs and thanked her. I was very grateful that she had offered to let us stay at her house and then leave our van there too.

I've never flown out of Ohare before and I must say they were not as friendly as Detroit. (we live about halfway between the two).

The lady at the Spirit desk was grumpy.

2752779736_fd0ce35496.jpg

(just pretend there is a grumpy lady behind the counter and people standing in line, ok?)

Yes, it was early, but for goodness sakes, be nice! Thankfully she was grumpiest to the people ahead of us! I felt bad for them. The lady had a purse and then a plastic shopping bag. The lady at the counter made a big point of the customer having two personal bags. Of course this was easily fixed by the customer putting her shopping bag into her purse, but the customer was looked pretty embarassed. I felt bad for her.

Brian always brings one of his fishing poles with us when we go on vacation. He breaks them down, takes off the line and the reels and then twist ties them together. It makes them pretty small by the time he is done. We've taken them on the plane for the past two years with no trouble. However, the lady at the Spirit counter told us, "THEY are not going to let you get on the plane with those. You are going to have to come back here and pay for me to check them, I guarantee it."
Brian told her that he had always taken them on the plane and she retorted, "Well was it with Spirit?"
Nope, it hadn't been, and she gave us a knowing look.
It was very annoying.

She also seemed very confused by the concept of my taking a carseat onto the plane for Lydia to use. I had to explain that one to her a few times.

Instead of taking our luggage there, we had to take our checked luggage (two bags) around the corner and hand them off to someone else. She didn't tell us this, so we started to leave the luggage with her, which did not please her.

Little side not here. Carry on luggage is pretty big! I would urge anyone who doesn't mind carrying their luggage on to look into the size regulations for your airline! I think we could have packed all our stuff into the carryons! I didn't realize that though until I payed for the two bags though.

There weren't many people waiting to go through security, but there was only one line open, so it took sometime.
As we were waiting, with our one personal and one carry on apiece, two carseats, one stroller and a fishing pole, the ladies sitting watching the line (maybe they were security??), kept eyeing us. One of them came over and told Brian knowingly, "They aren't going to let you on the plane with that fishing pole." Brian said he always had before and he would just see.

They kept eyeing us, I could see that they were tyring to count how many items we had.
(Because she was pointing her finger at each item we had and I could see her lips moving)
Actually, we could have had one more carryon if I'd wanted to (and knowing this I had packed an extra carryon bag in one of my bags). The stroller and carseats do not count towards the luggage. Neither did the camera I had strapped to my neck. I had read the Spirit baggage rules very carefully.

One of the ladies came over to me looked at two carseats stuck in the stroller and said in a rather snotty tone, "Where is the baby?"
I laughed and told her that the babies were right in front of me and I pointed to Arminda and Lydia.
The lady said, "Those two? They are to big for carseats! No one puts kids that big in a carseat!"
Decision time for Teresa!
I could go one of two ways,
snotty
2.gif

or nice.
11.gif

I thought it was in my best interest to go for nice.

I replied, "I know, isn't it sad? You know, when my oldest was a baby, they didn't make carseats that were big enough for older kids, I had to take him out of his carseat when he was only 3."
And, this started a friendly conversation about kids and how fast they grow up.
5.gif

Brian commented later that he was really proud of me how I had really turned that whole situation around!

When the slow moving line finally got up to the security,
108662.jpg

we took all our stuff put it in little grey tubs and sent it on it's way. However, Lydia's carseat wouldn't fit in the little x-ray scanner, so they had to inspect it manually. Of course, they didn't figure that out until it got stuck in their machine. I was worried that Arminda's carseat wouldn't fit either, but amazingly it did.

As they were inspecting the carseat, a pilot and crew went through security. I figured that was a good sign that we weren't late for our plane!

As Brian carefully placed his beloved fishing pole into the gray box, and sent it on through the x-ray scanner, we all held our breath.
You could feel the tension in the air.
3.gif

Would they accept it? Would they stop us?
Would 10 agents jump out and wrestle Brian to the ground for daring to bring such a thing onboard the sacred aircraft???
As the box slowly inched it's way to the scanner, we all saw that the security agent was taking a special interest in it.
We were on pins and needles...
Then, it happened
The security guard looked Brian square in the eye and said, "Sir, is this your pole."

Say NO Brian,
Say NO!!
RUN!!!! RUN!!!!
I'll cover you sweetheart, just RUN!
2.gif

Brian ignored me and said, "Yes, sir that is mine."
Oh no, oh no, oh no!

I'm going to have to go on vacation with the kids all by myself while Brian sits in jail!!!
1.gif

(Because there is NO way I'm cancelling MY vacation!)

You could cut the tension with a knife as the security guard drew in a breath and then said,
"I've been thinking of getting an Ugly Stick, have you been happy with it?"

2.gif

PHEW!!!!

Brian briefly chatted with the security guard about fishing and we were out of there!

ohare_airport_chicago.jpg

Finally, we made it to our gate! We still had 1 hour before takeoff, so we took the time to take a potty break and fill up our water bottles for the ride. There was absolutely no way I was going to buy drinks and food on the plane!
I was missing Southwest with the free baggage and free snacks.

We were all mesmerized by the toilet seats at Ohare. If you don't know what I mean, let me explain, they have AUTOMATIC seat covers!! You wave your hand in front of a little sensor when you go in, and a new seat cover comes around the side of the seat and there you have a nice neat seat to sit on!
ohare.jpg

Seriously, how cool is that!!!

We broke out some of the snacks I had brought, Lydia wanted a banana
DSCF5354.JPG

Brian also got up and I assumed he was taking his potty break too, but instead he came back with a coffee for me!
3.gif

I had tried to find a coffee pot at Denise's, but she didn't have one!!! Can you believe that???
Anyway, he is so sweet, he went and bought me a coffee!

Soon, they announced it was time to get on the plane!
We were in one of the first groups to board,

3258006405_742822bf6b.jpg

so it wasn't too hard to carry Lydia's carseat down the aisle without bumping anyone in the head.
3.gif

I'll say it again, they should let people with carseats on FIRST! Not because I want the best spot, but for the safety of all the other passengers. I had printed out our boarding passes the night before and was very pleased when we all had seats together.

After I got the carseat buckled in and the girls situated, I looked up to notice that the plane was just about EMPTY!
3540805660_120b62a18f.jpg

I did a count and there were not even 50 people on the plane. I was thankful that no one was sitting in front of Lydia, because being in the carseat she didn't have much legroom, and if someone were to sit in front of her and put the seat back, she would have none.

The plane took off nice and smooth and when I looked over Lydia was already fast asleep.
3.gif

Actually, almost everyone on board was fast asleep.
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

One person, however decided that they needed to find a new row to sleep in so they could stretch out across the seats. In an almost empty plane, with many many rows to chose from, where do you think this person decided was the best spot to lay down and put the seat all the way back???? Can you guess, can you???

Yep, right in front of Lydia! I was a little peeved, but she was asleep anyway, so she didn't mind. I was almost hoping she would wake up and start kicking the seatback!

At one point, I went to lean forward to get my bag, and I felt my shirt slightly sticking to the seat back. When I later had to get up and use the bathroom, Corey told me, "you know that stuff on your seat? It's all over your back now." When I looked in the bathroom mirror, sure enough, there was something green and sticky all over my back!
GRRRRR
I had only worn the shirt once or twice before this so I was not pleased! I really didn't like having to walk around with a mysterious green sticky substance on my back.
When the plane landed, I told the flight attendant about it. She looked and said, "Hmm, looks like gum." Then she got off the plane. So, I'm sure whoever sat down there after me also got up with green sticky gunk on their back too!

Lydia had woke up just before our plane landed, so I didn't have to worry about waking her up to get off. As usual, I waited for everyone else to get off before I got off, since I hate bonking people in the head with a carseat. And, you know what? I have a feeling they don't really like it either.

On the way out, one of the flight attendants made a point to come over and say,
"You KNOW, once a child is over 2 they don't need a carseat anymore."
I thanked her for telling me, but let her know that I preferred her to be in a carseat.

WHY do people feel the need to tell you that you don't have to put your kid in a carseat?? Why doesn't it occur to them that some people would like to keep their children as safe as possible? It annoys me.

But, then, we were off the plane and in Florida!!! Yeah!!
:banana::banana::banana:

NEXT

This is by far the funniest TR I have read so far. You have me on the edge of my seat.

Thanks for sharing your bbb story. I think we will pass on that this trip. Not because of your bad experience their (everyone is entitled to a rough day right?). We are skipping because of the disreguard to your experience by the CM.

Yes, Southwest is by far my fav. airline also.

I had never seen pics of your family until now and I must say your kids are beautiful!

Can't wait to read more.

Well, you know you don't need to tell me twice about the carseats. I am so with you on that! We got so many wierd stares going to California with the carseat. They just look at you like you are an alien or something. I can't remember our October trip but I know in May they kept trying to talk me into checking it at the gate. No thanks! I drug it this far through the airport I'll put my child in it!

I am thinking you had the Nautilus with you? It irks me that it never fits through a machine and everyone tries to jam it! Really folks, is that necessary?

How sweet of Brian to get you some coffee. If Lin didn't drink coffee I am not sure if we would have a pot or not. I am kind of one of those folks where you have something just in case though.

So smart to bring your own snacks. Food at the airport always ends up costing us around $50 on the way home. Seems we hit it at a bad time and no little snack will keep me for 5 hours!

Did you enjoy spirit besides the cranky lady? I always wonder about the little guys in this world.

UGH! Why did the guy pick in front of Lydia. Glad she was sleeping. Another great plus of the carseat! And why do people think it is okay to do things differently on vacation vs at home??? As in the carseat thing.

Okay, I better stop or I'll keep rambling about the carseat. I assume the fishing pole went on with no issues.

So, I see my son is not the only one that sleeps with his ipod glued to his ears.....

That lady at the Spirit counter really does look grouchy..... and she really should've run a brush through her hair before coming to work!

Now I have to see these cars seats! Wanna post a picture so we can see why they would stir up so much commotion??

Yes, you forgot about the fishing pole update! What happened? Did they send you back? Confiscate them at security? I can't wait to hear!

The car seat thing bugs me too. Now, it's the front seat. Apparently ALL of Jacob's friends get to ride in the front seat. Not you, buster!

Ya and did you see that not only did she not brush her hair properly but she has little horns sticking out of the sides of her head. The completely clash with the the Spirit Airlines uniform. hmmmmm.....

Now this lady who felt compelled to talk to you in security and question the use of carseats.... :confused3:confused3..... I would have chosen the completely sarcastic mode so I am impressed that you went with the higher road. You are so sweet!!! :lovestruc

OK glad you got there safe and sound....:woohoo: May the trip begin!!!!

I am so with you on the car seat issue! Nikki is 9 and only just 60lbs so I am so not ready for her to be out NO WAY! all her friends are out but so what! Even her ped said I could take her out but I am not ready I think she is too tiny. Same with Kyle NOPE! Thankfully my mom has car seats in Atlanta so we won't cart them on the trip since ours aren't airplane safe:scared1:

You've pulled me in!
:goodvibes
Those toilets kinda freak me out.

LOL! I have never seen a toilet like those before!! I think I live a rather sheltered life though!

This is by far the funniest TR I have read so far. You have me on the edge of my seat.

Thanks for sharing your bbb story. I think we will pass on that this trip. Not because of your bad experience their (everyone is entitled to a rough day right?). We are skipping because of the disreguard to your experience by the CM.

Yes, Southwest is by far my fav. airline also.

I had never seen pics of your family until now and I must say your kids are beautiful!

Can't wait to read more.

Thanks Deb!! You really are just too sweet! I'm glad you are enjoying the TR! I think my kids are pretty cute too!

Well, you know you don't need to tell me twice about the carseats. I am so with you on that! We got so many wierd stares going to California with the carseat. They just look at you like you are an alien or something. I can't remember our October trip but I know in May they kept trying to talk me into checking it at the gate. No thanks! I drug it this far through the airport I'll put my child in it!

I am thinking you had the Nautilus with you? It irks me that it never fits through a machine and everyone tries to jam it! Really folks, is that necessary?

How sweet of Brian to get you some coffee. If Lin didn't drink coffee I am not sure if we would have a pot or not. I am kind of one of those folks where you have something just in case though.

So smart to bring your own snacks. Food at the airport always ends up costing us around $50 on the way home. Seems we hit it at a bad time and no little snack will keep me for 5 hours!

Did you enjoy spirit besides the cranky lady? I always wonder about the little guys in this world.

UGH! Why did the guy pick in front of Lydia. Glad she was sleeping. Another great plus of the carseat! And why do people think it is okay to do things differently on vacation vs at home??? As in the carseat thing.

Okay, I better stop or I'll keep rambling about the carseat. I assume the fishing pole went on with no issues.

I knew I would have you at "carseats"!
Spirit was fine, I would definitely fly with them again. I was worried, since I was too cheap to buy pre-assigned seats, but then when I printed out the boarding passes the night before, we were all together, so that was really nice. They got us there safe and sound, so that's what I am most concerned about! Other than the goop on the seat, they were as comfy as any airline seats I suppose!

So, I see my son is not the only one that sleeps with his ipod glued to his ears.....

That lady at the Spirit counter really does look grouchy..... and she really should've run a brush through her hair before coming to work!

Now I have to see these cars seats! Wanna post a picture so we can see why they would stir up so much commotion??
Yep, he always has those things in his ears! I am VERY impressed that you noticed that though!

Yes, that lady really should have been more well groomed before she came to work! can you believe it!?

Yes, you forgot about the fishing pole update! What happened? Did they send you back? Confiscate them at security? I can't wait to hear!

The car seat thing bugs me too. Now, it's the front seat. Apparently ALL of Jacob's friends get to ride in the front seat. Not you, buster!

Oh man! I can't believe I forgot about the fishing pole! I will go back and update that part. I'll try to put it in a different color so you can all find it.

Ya and did you see that not only did she not brush her hair properly but she has little horns sticking out of the sides of her head. The completely clash with the the Spirit Airlines uniform. hmmmmm.....

Now this lady who felt compelled to talk to you in security and question the use of carseats.... :confused3:confused3..... I would have chosen the completely sarcastic mode so I am impressed that you went with the higher road. You are so sweet!!! :lovestruc

OK glad you got there safe and sound....:woohoo: May the trip begin!!!!

Oh, you guys are crackying me up about the Spirit lady!
I kind of surprised myself by taking the nice route too! Although, you know, I AM

TERESAJOY! ;)
So what happened with the fishing pole???? :rolleyes1
Give me a minute, I'll put an update in there!

I am so with you on the car seat issue! Nikki is 9 and only just 60lbs so I am so not ready for her to be out NO WAY! all her friends are out but so what! Even her ped said I could take her out but I am not ready I think she is too tiny. Same with Kyle NOPE! Thankfully my mom has car seats in Atlanta so we won't cart them on the trip since ours aren't airplane safe:scared1:

I am so glad to hear that so many of my friends still use carseats for their older children!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana: My Mom just bought a carseat that will hold Lydia and Tessa (but not at the same time :rotfl2:). Last night, my Dad went and picked the kids up for me after school (I had gone to Tessa's graduation and then just stayed at Mom's house for our Friday Pizza Night) and then when I went to go home, I didn't have to switch my carseat from their van to mine!

As Brian carefully placed his beloved fishing pole into the gray box, and sent it on through the x-ray scanner, we all held our breath.
You could feel the tension in the air.
3.gif

Would they accept it? Would they stop us?
Would 10 agents jump out and wrestle Brian to the ground for daring to bring such a thing onboard the sacred aircraft???
As the box slowly inched it's way to the scanner, we all saw that the security agent was taking a special interest in it.
We were on pins and needles...
Then, it happened
The security guard looked Brian square in the eye and said, "Sir, is this your pole."

Say NO Brian,
Say NO!!
RUN!!!! RUN!!!!
I'll cover you sweetheart, just RUN!
2.gif

Brian ignored me and said, "Yes, sir that is mine."
Oh no, oh no, oh no!
1.gif

I'm going to have to go on vacation with the kids all by myself while Brian sits in jail!!!
1.gif

(Because there is NO way I'm cancelling MY vacation!)

You could cut the tension with a knife as the security guard drew in a breath and then said,
"I've been thinking of getting an Ugly Stick, have you been happy with it?"

2.gif

PHEW!!!!

Brian briefly chatted with the security guard about fishing
1.gif

and we were out of there!

I love it when the cliff hangers come to happy ending! But please.... tell me you all went merrily on your way while pointing fingers and laughing at the people who told you it couldn't be done! ;)

I love it when the cliff hangers come to happy ending! But please.... tell me you all went merrily on your way while pointing fingers and laughing at the people who told you it couldn't be done! ;)

I'm glad you liked the happy ending Karen!!!
Unfortunately, I couldn't see the neigh sayers by the time we were all through! But, I was laughing and pointing in my heart!

Hey Teresa! I was a lurker on your last TR but now I have to just come and join in on the fun. It sounds like a, ummm..., interesting way to start the trip. That CM, though. Really rude. I wonder if she forgot to take her Disney magic pill pixiedust: the days she talked to you. :confused3

Well, welcome out of lurkdome!!(they should really have a smiley for that!!)

Hi Teresa!

Lookin good so far! You make me laugh, your too funny! You have such a lovely family and I think kids grow up way too fast too! Looking forward to more.
Thanks Jessica!

Yay another trippie! We were there just after you!! Love your sense of humor!

Aww, I love people who love my sense of humor!!!
which, probably would explain why I have so few friends.....

I'm glad you liked the happy ending Karen!!!
Unfortunately, I couldn't see the neigh sayers by the time we were all through! But, I was laughing and pointing in my heart!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: You slay me!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

LOL! Well I KNEW he wasn't in jail; he came over to my house, but I enjoyed the suspense all the same.

You can carry on with your trip report now Teresa!

Great update.I am totally with you on the carseats. All of my DD (5) friends are in carseats with the seatbelt instead of a 5 point harness. Hello, my DD is 43 inches and 37lb. She will stay in the 5 point as long as posssible. I think it was Jessica that mentioned the Mautilus-that is our next seat when she outgrows in one she is in-I got 3lb

You can carry on with your trip report now Teresa!

Thank you Steph! :thumbsup2
Great update.I am totally with you on the carseats. All of my DD (5) friends are in carseats with the seatbelt instead of a 5 point harness. Hello, my DD is 43 inches and 37lb. She will stay in the 5 point as long as posssible. I think it was Jessica that mentioned the Mautilus-that is our next seat when she outgrows in one she is in-I got 3lb

Lydia is in the Nautilus now too. Arminda is in the Britax Regent. I think Arminda will outgrow it before Lydia needs to use it, but it's a pretty close race at this point. Arminda grows slooooowly and Lydia grows so fast! I was shocked that the Regent fit in those scanners and the Nautilus wouldn't.

Yay! Glad you ruffians made it through security with all your suspicious items!!!

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Yes, we are just rebels, aren't we! :cool2:

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: my next question is....after all this trouble...did Bryan use the fishing pole at all????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter