Places to go in Vero

fsubigdogs

Mouseketeer
My dh and I are talking our two kids 6 mos. and 2 1/2 year old to VB next week and we are looking for some ideas of places and resturants to go to off the property.

If anyone has any suggestions... it would be very greatly appreciated!

:earboy2:
Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer. I'll apologize in advance, as many of these places may not be the best for young children. I'll post them anyway, as someone else may find it useful.

The absolute best restaurant in the area is The Ocean Grille. That being said, I would not recommend it with young children.
If you and your man want a nice evening out sometime, you won't be disappointed.

I also found Sonya's to be very good, but that is on property.
On the same note, Shutters uses the same kitchen, and is much more kid friendly.

Lobster Shanty- marginal, but okay for kids.
Bobby's- good
Captain Hyram's- pretty good, and good for kids.
Black Pearl (Riverside)- good, but may not be in existance after hurricanes.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Vero! :drinking:

MG

I second Capt. Hirams - we have 2 boys - 18 months and 3 years. That is a great place.

We also love Orchid Island pizza - it's a carry out - but it's good and cheap

Have fun!
Jenny :earsboy:

I went to the lemon tree a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent, it's just past the ocean grill. It's not a kids place but it is fairly informal and seems like a local place. The menu is excellent and the food is also. If you call ahead for reservations they give you a free glass of wine. The service was good and quick so I think that it would work for a 2 year old (although it's been 17 years since I've had one).
Good luck and enjoy. The pool area at vero has all kinds of activities for kids.

Captain Hiram's without a doubt! ;)

It's our favorite resturant!! we also have 2 small kids :)

I also vote for Capt. Hiram's. I'm not a big seafood eater. They have a great steak sandwich and their lime slushies are wonderful.

As far as something to do, I would suggest the Environmental Learning Center. It's near the resort right off of 510 just near the bridge. They may be able to give you some info on it when you check in.

Have fun! :sunny:

Although I wasn't overlt impressed with the Ocean Grille we did take our boys and at the time they were 8 and 10. We saw much younger children there and no one seemed to mind. That being said it would not be the place I would chose with toddlers who need naps or who don't sit through meals well.

Another vote for Capt. Hiriam's and I would suggest the Patio! The Patio looks like a dump from the exterior view but nice inside and good food.

I love to visit the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach Florida as well as Worth Avenue and the drive or walk by Mar a Lago. I remember visiting as a child as when I visited as an adult it was a great memory. If you happen to be driving this works, otherwise it is at least an hour away. Also for a driving trip, at stop at St. Augustine, Palm Beach and Key West gives you the whole Henry Fagler story of the development of the east coast of Florida! I know, too far but fabulous at least once!

We loved Disney Vero so much when we stayed there that we bought a retirement home on AIA (the beach road) about 10 miles south of Disney last year. :cheer2:

I just made a list of restaurants and things to do for my daughter who will be going for a week the 11th of June.

McKees Botanical Garden is a walk through and is beautiful. They are open most days, even holidays but are closed on Monday. It was about $6.00 a person and they have a great little cafe that serves sandwiches. They have kid's menu.

We like Lobster Shanty for their early bird specials. The prices are right and the food is good.

On the corner of Route #60 and 58th Street near the Indian River Mall (in a plaza on the right) is the Italian Grill. Small but delicious.

Another vote for the Lemon Tree and the Ocean Grill. We have never seen any children at the Lemon Tree and very few for dinner at the Ocean Grill.

Vincent's Italian restaurant in Miracle Mile Plaza is expensive but has good food and great pizza.

Waldo's at the Driftwood Inn on Ocean Road has fantastic food but be prepared to wait because it is not very big. They have inside and outside dining. Outside is on the deck, overlooking the ocean.

Cafe Caribe on Rt 1 South. Take AIA south to Beachland BLVD, take a right over the Barber Bridge. Follow Route 60 West until you come to RT 1. Take a left. Cafe Caribe is on the left. They take reservations for 5 or more.

Lots of fast food and casual dining on Rt 1 South. IHOP, Denny's, Carrabba's.
Chili's is way down on Rt 1. Think there was an Outback too but I can't remember where that was.

TGIF, Bob Evans (similar to Perkins), Firehouse Subs and I'm sure a few I forgot at the Indian River Mall on RT60. And KFC, McDonalds, Burger King near by. They also have a movie theater and a DISNEY STORE!!!

West on Rt 60 right after the 95 overpass is the Vero Beach Outlets. They have a Steak & Shake and a Cracker Barrell as well as a wonderful Book Warehouse plus many factory outlets.

Check with the front desk about things to do in the area. When we stayed at the resort, we went to the Enviromental Learning Center, and to watch the Manatees at the Vero Beach Power Plant at the end of the 17th Street Bridge.

A1A and Ocean Road (south of Disney) have many parks right on the ocean that have children's playground. Jaycee Park is on A1A South right after the Vero Beach Inn and they have one. They have grills to cook out on, a boardwalk, picnic tables and a little restaurant. They also have a lifeguard and rest room. Get there early if you want a picnic table.

At the end of Ocean Road north is the Red Onion and the Boadwalk Ice Cream.
The RedOnion serves sandwiches and dinners.......tiny place but very good.
Boardwalk Ice Cream, serves all kinds of ice cream delights. You can call them for directions but they are right down the side street from Jaycee Park.

SnowWitch Wrote:
I would suggest the Patio! The Patio looks like a dump from the exterior view but nice inside and good food.

Thanks for posting this about the Patio restaurant. We've always seen a lot of cars there but have never ventured in because it does look like a dump!! Next time we go, we'll give it a try.

May/June is a great time to be there. All the 'snowbirds' have gone home and the weather is gorgeous.

Have a great time!!

Glad to help!!

We were there for 2 weeks earlier this month and won't be going back until September. I miss it already!!

One thing I forgot to mention is to be really careful of the rip currents. They were pretty bad at the beginning of the month, but calmed down some right before we left. A couple of days they had the signs up for no swimming.

Try go to a beach with a lifeguard or if they don't have one, pay close attention to the signs posted. I forgot whether Disney has a lifeguard or not.

Someone mentioned the Black Pearl Riverside Restaurant. That building was severly damaged in the hurricanes and is being completely remodeled. We were told by a friend of the owner that the Black Pearl will not be re-opening in that location.

Can one of you experts tell me how to get to Hiram's from the resort? THanks bunches!!!!

I really bite at road names so bare with me. Take a right out of the resort. Get in the left turning lane at the 1st red light. When you reach the next red light after crossing the bridge take a right, its maybe 10 minutes up the road on the right. If you see Wal-mart on the left you have just passed it!!

SnowWitch said:
Take a right out of the resort. Get in the left turning lane at the 1st red light. When you reach the next red light after crossing the bridge take a right, its maybe 10 minutes up the road on the right. If you see Wal-mart on the left you have just passed it!!

The right out of the resort is Highway A1A.

The bridge road is State Road (SR) 510 and you are going over the Wabasso Bridge.

The right at the light is US Highway 1. :goodvibes

Have fun!!!

And there's an entrance to Cpt. Hiram's parking lot right on Rt. 1, so it's easy to get there. We enjoyed the food there so much, we went 2 nights in a row, out of 3!

Bobbi :flower:

Another vote for Capt. Hiram's! It was damaged by the hurricanes, but it is now back to normal. We were there in December when it was only partially reopened and really enjoyed the food and entertainment. They have a website: http://www.hirams.com/

Here's the site for "The Patio."

http://www.veropatio.com/

We haven't eaten there in over 2 years - but we have always enjoyed our meals there. The early bird specials were a very good value!

I went to the Patio web site and it looks great. Will you please tell me price range of appetizers and dinners, thanks....we're going with 3 of our kids and their significant others our treat so I'm really planning ahead. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter