Pink Pajamas, Penguins on the Bottom PTR, August 2010 with pics!

So here are some of my trip purchases. There are a bit more but my camera battery died and it took me a while to find the charger. I will try to post some more later this week.

My Mickey Mouse Beach Towel (we already have a few beach towels, most of them being Disney towels. But I just couldn't resist this one when I saw it)
DSC00148.jpg

A pair of shorts I got for the girls on clearance (turns out they only fit AJ so I will have to get Haylee different ones but it works out because them are more AJ's style anyway)
DSC00149.jpg

Some fake crocs I found on clearance for the girls to wear. AJ's are pink and Haylee's are red.
DSC00150.jpg

Some games for us to play on the train ride and also for our Disney theme nights to celebrate our countdown.
DSC00152.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

Did you book a preferred room? I did not. I worry though with my mom. I just don't want to be too far away from the main building and the buses. I am like you though, probably won't have to request for a refurbed room... seems like most are getting done pretty quickly. I think I will watch how it is going and closer to when we are checking in, I might request if it looks like that would be a good idea.

I didn't book a preferred room either. I read something somewhere about the actual distance between all the different sections of the resort and it not being that much different. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post it so you can see it, too. I just remember that it was all about the same as far as distance goes.

So for the new update, I thought I'd elaborate about why I picked Cape May Cafe for our first night dinner. It wasn't my first choice and is actually a replacement for my first choice. On my past two visits to WDW, my first night dinner was at Fulton's Crab House. It kind of became a tradition to eat there and spend the first day/night hanging out at DTD. I love the crab, the watermelon martinis and the oysters that come with jalapeno ice slush. I have never had a bad dining experience there. It is one of my favorite restaurants. However, in the past, I wasn't footing the bill for most things that we did on those trips and the kids didn't join us. My friend, who I went with, paid for most of the trip. So now that I am paying for this trip and the kids are coming, Fulton's is a bit out of our price range. So I found Cape May Cafe's Clambake dinner buffet that now includes crab legs hoping it would be a nice alternative. Plus, Cape May is a part of the DDP, where Fulton's is not. I really wish it would be, even as a signature restaurant where you have to use 2 TS credits and not just one. Though, I am thinking since we will be at DTD for the first part of that arrival day (planning to eat lunch at Earl of Sandwich or WPE), I may go over to Fulton's and get dessert or appetizers and drinks. It just feels wrong to not go to Fulton's at all while we're there. Especially since it's been 4 yrs since I last went. The one upside to going to Cape May for dinner is I haven't even been to the BW area. I had planned on going there during my last trip. I even made a reservation at Big River Grille and Brewing Works for lunch on our arrival day. However, both our planes got delayed so instead we just split a sandwich from E of S. It worked out better since we were having a big dinner at Fulton's. So I have a question for anyone who might have tried both. If you have tried both Fulton's and Cape May Cafe Dinner, what is your opinion on both? I am really hoping to love Cape May but still feel a little unsure.

Next: A few more purchase pics...

I have never been to either place, but the both sound wonderful!!! I think that since you haven't been to BW area (I haven't either) that Cape May will be a nice way to draw you there.

I think that more DTD restaurants need to be on the ddp. I want to try more of them, Fulton's being one of them.

Now though, Cape May sounds like something I should try. MMM... I haven't had dinner yet and it all sounds so good. :laughing:

My Mickey Mouse Beach Towel (we already have a few beach towels, most of them being Disney towels. But I just couldn't resist this one when I saw it)
DSC00148.jpg

Oh no, now you have reminded me that I need towels too. What a pain it was last trip when there were towels for us at the pool. I love your new towel. Do you mind me asking where you found it?

Some fake crocs I found on clearance for the girls to wear. AJ's are pink and Haylee's are red.
DSC00150.jpg

How cute!!! I love AJ's. Those are the ones with the straps, right? Too cute.

Some games for us to play on the train ride and also for our Disney theme nights to celebrate our countdown.
DSC00152.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

I need to find some similar things for our plane ride. It can't be too bulky though since, well...not a lot of space. Where did you find these? You seem to have a knack for finding cool stuff for your trip. I am just not coming across too much. Hope you don't mind me asking where you get your stuff. Course, since I live in the middle of nowhere it might be that there won't be a store close enough...

I didn't book a preferred room either. I read something somewhere about the actual distance between all the different sections of the resort and it not being that much different. I'll have to see if I can find it again and post it so you can see it, too. I just remember that it was all about the same as far as distance goes.

I read that too. Thanks for reposting it though. It helped me to feel like I wasn't being overly frugal. I just want it to be a good place for my mom. I am thinking of requesting 70's section. Maybe that won't be too far away?

Oh no, now you have reminded me that I need towels too. What a pain it was last trip when there were towels for us at the pool. I love your new towel. Do you mind me asking where you found it?

How cute!!! I love AJ's. Those are the ones with the straps, right? Too cute.

I need to find some similar things for our plane ride. It can't be too bulky though since, well...not a lot of space. Where did you find these? You seem to have a knack for finding cool stuff for your trip. I am just not coming across too much. Hope you don't mind me asking where you get your stuff. Course, since I live in the middle of nowhere it might be that there won't be a store close enough...

I got the towel and the 2 big games from Wal-Mart. And the little games came from Family Dollar and were $1 dollar each. The bigger games were clearanced for $2 each and I think the towel was $7. The pink shoes with the straps are AJs and I got both pairs of the shoes at Big Lots for $5 each plus an extra 20% off since the store is moving to a new location. They also had actual crocs and skechers cali gear in children's sizes. However, the girls aren't in kids' sizes anymore when it comes to their shoes. And the only shoes of that type at Big Lots were fakes. But they'll only be using them as summer shoes anyway so it's not such a big deal if they are fakes or not. Besides their feet are still growing so I figure getting them super expensive shoes other than sneakers doesn't make sense.

I read that too. Thanks for reposting it though. It helped me to feel like I wasn't being overly frugal. I just want it to be a good place for my mom. I am thinking of requesting 70's section. Maybe that won't be too far away?

Yeah, the 70s doesn't look as far away as the others. I would definitely stay away from the 90s. That seems like that be really far away from the food court and maybe a bit of a walk for your mom.

After thinking about it and discussing with another DISer, I decided to update my ticker to where it actually should be. I was worried about changing it because it would move Mickey back to the beginning. But being as close as we are to leaving, I think as the other DISer mentioned, the ticker should move fast. Now the reason for the change is to the ticker is it was behind two days. First, after FD was released, I added an extra day to our trip so instead of arriving on the 22nd, we are now arriving on the 21st. I had wanted to arrive on the 20th but decided it was probably better to add 1 day instead of 2. The second reason I needed to updated the ticker was because we actually leave on the 20th since we are taking the train and it takes a whole night to get there. So now my ticker is updated and shows the actual time we are leaving. Yay for 2 months, 1 week and 5 days!!!

I got the towel and the 2 big games from Wal-Mart. And the little games came from Family Dollar and were $1 dollar each. The bigger games were clearanced for $2 each and I think the towel was $7. The pink shoes with the straps are AJs and I got both pairs of the shoes at Big Lots for $5 each plus an extra 20% off since the store is moving to a new location. They also had actual crocs and skechers cali gear in children's sizes. However, the girls aren't in kids' sizes anymore when it comes to their shoes. And the only shoes of that type at Big Lots were fakes. But they'll only be using them as summer shoes anyway so it's not such a big deal if they are fakes or not. Besides their feet are still growing so I figure getting them super expensive shoes other than sneakers doesn't make sense.

You really scored! I will have to make a trek to Walmart. I have looked a couple times, but not really found anything. I had not been looking for towels though. Thanks for the tips!

Ok, so one more update. I am about to work 7 days straight before my next days off so I figured I'd add an extra update today. So we are taking the amtrak to WDW. This has it's own added issues to figure out. Food is just one of them. We are not booking rooms on the train, just seats. Therefore, food is not included. But before I go into the food issue, here is the train schedule:

Amtrak

Leave Home: 12:57pm
Arrive Raleigh: 3:43pm

Departure: Raleigh to Kissimmee

Depart 9:13pm
Arrive 10:55am

Return: Kissimmee to Raleigh

Depart: 6:40pm
Arrive: 8:43am

Leave Raleigh: 11:50am
Arrive Home: 2:30pm

So as you can see we have about a 6 hr layover in Raleigh. No sense in getting a rental car so if we decide to leave the station, we are walking. I thought we may grab an early dinner. Then just eat snacks and breakfast on the train. As for sodas and drinks, I am thinking about getting a small hard plastic rolling cooler I found at Wal-Mart for $15-$20. I am also thinking about getting this to use as my carry-on since it has a cooler on bottom which would be good for snacks and then a regular storage area on top: http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Time-Insulated-Cooler-Backpack/dp/B000O8CWNG

Arrive 10:55am

Will you go straight to Pop or to the parks?

So as you can see we have about a 6 hr layover in Raleigh. No sense in getting a rental car so if we decide to leave the station, we are walking. I thought we may grab an early dinner. Then just eat snacks and breakfast on the train. As for sodas and drinks, I am thinking about getting a small hard plastic rolling cooler I found at Wal-Mart for $15-$20. I am also thinking about getting this to use as my carry-on since it has a cooler on bottom which would be good for snacks and then a regular storage area on top: http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Time-Insulated-Cooler-Backpack/dp/B000O8CWNG

Looks like you have a great plan for on your way down. I love the backpack! It looks very handy! :thumbsup2

I love the backpack, I might have to check one out for myself,even just for summer use since my boys and I go on short hikes pretty often. (I tell them it's training for walking in Disney):lmao:.

I've seem some cute beach towels at WM too. DH keeps telling me we have so many beach towels now that we don't need anymore, but I keep thinking Disney themed ones for the boys would be so cute. I guess we'll see on that one.;)

Taking the train sounds fun. If we ever end up moving down south like my DH wants to, I would love to try that. We are driving down from PA, when we saw the price of airfare, even with staying overnight in GA, gas and food, it still ends up cheaper and we can pack what we want.

Annmarieda, after you mentioned it I looked at the tickers. That's funny how we'll all be there one after the other. We requested the 50's section but don't really care. My boys saw pics of the bowling pin pool and that's all they talk about now so that's why we requested it, also it looks close to the parking lot. We did get a preferred room though.

I love the backpack, I might have to check one out for myself,even just for summer use since my boys and I go on short hikes pretty often. (I tell them it's training for walking in Disney):lmao:.

That's what I did all last summer, too...lol. We lived only a couple of blocks from the park. However, it would be scorching most days. Though we did bring along bottles of water. Everytime they would complain about the heat I'd say "you better get used to it cause this is how it will be at Disney, just with better scenery...lol"

To answer Annmarieda and to post a new update:

Here are my first/arrival day plans:

Provided the train is on time, we should arrive in Kissimmee around 10:55am. We will then be taking a minivan via Happy Limo to Pop to check in and a 15 min grocery stop. I am guessing our room will not be ready by then so we will leave our luggage with the front desk or bell services. Then we will go to DTD for lunch and some shopping. Even if our room is ready, our plans will be the same. Of course we will check out the room before we go to DTD. We are planning on having lunch at E of S or WPE, depending on crowds. If we're really hungry, we may go to PH to use the $15 off coupon. Even though it is no longer a snack on the DDP, we will be going to Goofy's to get a make your own snack. After a little shopping, depending on how we feel after being on the train all night, we will go check out the room at POP (if the room wasn't ready earlier), then we will either go to DHS or Epcot or if we're too tired, we may just hang out by the pool and maybe take a little nap. Either way, we will plan on getting to the Boardwalk at around 7pm or 7:30pm to spend some time there before our 8:30pm Dinner at Cape May Cafe. After dinner, we will go back to POP. If we didn't swim before, we may swim then. Then off to bed to get up for our Chef Mickey's Breakfast and our first day at MK.

Your first day looks really relaxed. I like that you will get to go to DTD and use the pool. For us, those are hard to fit in. My dd tends to be a drill sargent when it comes to getting to the parks.

Hey, I don't know if you got your cooler yet..but I saw that Disney store online had this one on sale. The one you found probably is bigger, but in case you were looking for Disney specific...thought I would pass this along to you.

http://www.disneystore.com/bags-totes-create-your-own-cooler-bag/p/1246844/302504/#

Your first day looks really relaxed. I like that you will get to go to DTD and use the pool. For us, those are hard to fit in. My dd tends to be a drill sargent when it comes to getting to the parks.

Hey, I don't know if you got your cooler yet..but I saw that Disney store online had this one on sale. The one you found probably is bigger, but in case you were looking for Disney specific...thought I would pass this along to you.

http://www.disneystore.com/bags-totes-create-your-own-cooler-bag/p/1246844/302504/#

We have a few days like that. It's kind of why I booked the trip for as long as I did so that we have the option to just chill out and take our time doing things.

Thanks for the cooler idea. I haven't bought either of the ones I mentioned yet. Turns out that the hard plastic one I wanted is sold out at Wal-Mart where I first saw it. I am hoping they get more but not sure. I may have to go to another location to check it out. But I may end up getting the one you suggested instead of the backpack one since it is a bit cheaper. I already have a few bags to use as carry-ons. I will be posting pics of them soon. I have a habit of when I see a bag, I usually go ahead and get it. Especially if it's a good deal.

I also forgot to mention in the update that one of the biggest reasons we are taking it super slow our arrival day is because all the parks close early. Well, at least I think it's early compared to other days. Here's what I mean:

Saturday, August 21st

MK – 9am – 10pm

Epcot –
World Showcase: 11am – 9pm
Future World: 9am – 7pm

DHS – 9am –7pm

AK – 8am – 7pm (EMH 8am – 9pm)

One I realized how close the Boardwalk was to DHS and Epcot, I tried to get an earlier ADR for Cape May but the only one I could get was for 8:30pm. So I just decided it was probably for the best considering we will all be pretty exhausted from sleeping on the train the night before.

Saturday, August 21st
MK – 9am – 10pm
Epcot –
World Showcase: 11am – 9pm
Future World: 9am – 7pm
DHS – 9am –7pm
AK – 8am – 7pm (EMH 8am – 9pm)

I was kinda surprised by the hours. I would have expected that they were open till midnight or something. Same thing is happening the night of our arrival. 9pm is the latest any park is open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter