Pictures of things No Longer Seen at WDW

View attachment 87502 View attachment 87503 1998:called Countdown to Extinction & Now called Dinosaur... It also seemed much darker & scarier in 1998....Am I right?
Changes since the release of the film
Shortly after the release of the film on May 19, 2000, the attraction underwent many changes. Though originally named "Countdown to Extinction," its named was changed to "Dinosaur." The original logo was taken down from the entrance building and replaced with a new sign from which protruded a small statue of a Carnotaurus. The original statue of the Styracosaurus in front of the building was taken away and replaced with a statue of Aladar. Now that the attraction was marketed as a tie-in to the film, more children would be riding. Because of this, the movement of the enhanced motion vehicles was changed to be less intense and the ride was also given a less frightening soundtrack. In the original soundtrack, after the encounter with the first audio-animatronic Carnotaurus, the footsteps and roars of the dinosaur could be heard directly behind the vehicle, giving guests the feeling that they were being pursued. Now, during the same moments of the ride, the roars of the Carnotaurus can be heard far behind the guests, implying they have safely escaped.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/DINOSAUR

I'm pretty sure they got rid of this because of my brother and I. We would pile that stuff high on our hands and cause the sinks to overflow with suds. Sorry..we were young!!

I used to love this stuff, too. I was disappointed when they removed it, and I think it was because of all the anthrax scares after 9/11. Anything powdery freaked people out:scared1:

23tmgsx.jpg

All of these pictures are making me feel nostalgic. :) Especially the River Country ones... I always wanted to spend all my time there when we were in WDW as a child, shame to see it the way it is not... I think I may dig out some of my old pictures to post sometime this week.

All of these pictures are making me feel nostalgic. :) Especially the River Country ones... I always wanted to spend all my time there when we were in WDW as a child, shame to see it the way it is not... I think I may dig out some of my old pictures to post sometime this week.

Welcome to the DIS.
Hope you find good information and fun memories on the site.

I look forward to any pictures you find and care to share with us. Thanks for going to the effort.

Thanks to all that have searched to find their old pictures to share with us all.

FigmentIsTheBest (OP)

Yeah, it just doesn't look like the Poly anymore. I showed DH the pic of the new lobby and he was interested at first "Where's that? How did we miss the tiki?" but as soon as I told him it was the new lobby he said "But that doesn't look Polynesian at all! Where'd they put my waterfall?"

I think the Poly has been knocked down a few pegs on his resort list.
and the fire - I remember fire - perhaps it is still there at nighttime

ID card needed for Disney Transport from the Poly in 1980. We had a room that year on the ground floor overlooking the beach in what is now Hawaii. Oh the good days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 98
I found a few. :) First time posting pictures here so hopefully this works
88446-d00188f7e3e3eb968745595926335b27.jpg
I actually liked when when they decorated the castle like this, loved the little golden characters around the castle! :)
2015-04-14 18.15.37.jpg The stitch bus, uhh.. 2015-04-14 18.19.15.jpg This one not so much, but i was a pretty snazzy dresser.. :lmao:2015-04-14 18.27.22.jpg The Hercules 'Zero to hero' parade at MGM, I think it was around 97?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter