Pictures of things No Longer Seen at WDW

Here are a couple more pictures that I remembered I had from 1972. I contrasted the HM picture with a similar picture from 2012. It is amazing the amount of trees that have grown or been planted around that area. Also, I think it is interesting that it looks like there is a frame for some sort of awning, but that it hasn't been put up yet.
scan0001.jpg 100_2959.JPG

In this one of the castle, you will notice there were more trees at that time than there are now. The face of that area is currently changing again with the Hub construction. Also, the statue of Walt and Mickey was obviously not there at opening.
scan0003.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures that I remembered I had from 1972. I contrasted the HM picture with a similar picture from 2012. It is amazing the amount of trees that have grown or been planted around that area. Also, I think it is interesting that it looks like there is a frame for some sort of awning, but that it hasn't been put up yet.

These are very nice.

Thank you for taking the time to find and share your items.

I like the mansion views. You can see the tree just by the waterline lower right (left of ladder) is the same tree. Cool! The two in front of the mansion may also be the same.

Thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to more.

FigmentIsTheBest (OP)

Sure

1f5b3a41c82db0ab8f8f0b4206c1d29a.jpg

Never seen the Santa hat, but used to love the ghost "costume" they used to put on the tower for Halloween. Anyone got a pic of that? I never managed to get one, but remember it vividly.

These are very nice.

Thank you for taking the time to find and share your items.

I like the mansion views. You can see the tree just by the waterline lower right (left of ladder) is the same tree. Cool! The two in front of the mansion may also be the same.

Thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to more.

FigmentIsTheBest (OP)

I love that early HM pic @pollyanna30 !

Thanks! That HM picture was taken on the first trip my grandparents and parents took to WDW a few years before I was even born! It is neat to look at the trees and think that some of those are the very same ones in that picture with forty years of growth. I took that recent picture on my last trip before I even knew the old picture existed! I took mine from the Liberty Belle and I am assuming the other one was taken from the riverboat also.

I am fortunate that grandparents on both sides of my family took lots of pictures on our trips and that I have been able to get my hands on some of them. I enjoy seeing the photos others post and am glad I get to contribute. I have a few other pictures from that 1972 trip but they are on slides. If anyone has a good online recommendation to get those slides converted to pictures, I would be interested!

I'm feeling nostalgic today. I went through my scrapbook of my first trip to WDW, which was in Sept 1995, when I was 19 years old. I so wish digital cameras were around back then. There's so much I've forgotten, especially about the original Epcot attractions.

Hopefully, the picture upload works...

Mickey Mania Parade - at the time we thought this was such a weird parade. But now, we think they don't make parades like this anymore. So many more floats and performers.

View attachment 83614 View attachment 83615 View attachment 83616

And then Mickey's Starland
View attachment 83617 View attachment 83618

Swept away by the memory of my then 2.5-year-old DD tapping foot singing, "what, what, Mickey Mania, Micky Mania"

This post actually makes me sad because of all the stuff I miss and my kids will never see. Also I miss Leagues under the Sea but will admit it freaked me out when I rode it.

From Surprise in the Skies in 1992, afternoon entertainment in the World Showcase featuring an air show with kites and gliders piloted by characters over the World Showcase Lagoon. Also, in front of each of the 11 country pavilions was a giant box that opened up during the air show and a giant balloon character dressed in that country's costume inflated. There was a different character balloon for each country. In my photos are Chip & Dale in front of China and Goofy in front of Norway. Also, a photo of the air show but it's hard to see the glider which appears very small due to the short lens. ( I shared the brochure that was given out for this show & Illuminations last night.)
Surprise in the Skies-China-1992.jpg
Surprise in the Skies Epcot Norway  Jan 1992 .jpg
Surprise in the Skies glider Epcot 1992.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter