Picky Eater... HELP!

Special needs was irrelevant to the discussion. I didn't say it was okay to judge why the OP was asking. Someone offered up something about making them less picky, and someone else came in with why that wouldn't work because their kid has special needs. Neither matters, but the suggestion wasn't including kids with medical issues. It never does, but it always gets thrown into the mix.

I didn't say to starve a kid. I didn't say to make them less picky. My suggestion was booking restaurants with food the kid will eat. My perception comes from experience reading posts here and having a special needs kid.

I can't keep explaining something that you just aren't getting.

It gets thrown into the mix because people are being judged and people feel the need to defend themselves.

I didn't say that you said that stuff, just that it had been brought up in the thread and the fact that some kids have special needs is not irrelevant if posters are going to go down the road of judging parents and suggesting ways that they can be better parents rather than just answering the question that was asked.

I agree with booking restaurants with food your child will eat (which is what I do) but there are also instances when Disney DOES accommodate picky eaters and this is a great resource to figure that out. Ohana does not have an official kid menu but kid menu items are available even though it is not written anywhere officially. Hoop Dee Doo Revue is the same - they have the fixed price menu but they have other options for picky kids. Pretty much all disney restaurants will make accommodations and changes to their menus within reason and within the capabilities of the kitchen... sometimes people want to ask what those are as it expands the possibilities. It's a vacation, not real life... why shouldn't everyone be as happy as possible with their meals, and if Disney is willing to accommodate, what skin is it off anyone's nose if someone's kid doesn't eat a huge variety? but it outright seems to annoy people that someone might ask for a special accommodation from Disney without a "good enough" reason. Why do you care? (not you specifically, people in general) and shouldn't it only matter how Disney feels about the accommodation and not a bunch of cranky people on an internet board?

c80.gif

Disney is the land of awesome customer service and magical vacations. Why are special accommodations bad? Why does anyone else care if they do or what their reasons are?

I will only post about my son's issues if it is relevant to the conversation. I don't think it is really relevant to the conversation when I am asking questions on a Disney board about his food, and I should not have to share that information in order to not be judged. That is my point. Just because someone is not shouting from the rooftops that their kid has special needs doesn't mean that they don't have them, and especially on the Disney board I shouldn't have to shame someone into being kind and nonjudgmental by bringing that up either.

I can only speak for myself, but I was raised to eat what was placed in front of me. And taught that to ask for anything else was the action of a spoiled child who thought everyone should cater to them. If a child doesn't like what is on the menu then imho the parent should A: Not book that restaurant or B: Feed the child ahead of time. It is pretty entitled to expect a kitchen to whip up something extra for a child who just doesn't like what is offered. Again, just my opinion, but you did ask.

I can only speak for myself, but I was raised to eat what was placed in front of me. And taught that to ask for anything else was the action of a spoiled child who thought everyone should cater to them. If a child doesn't like what is on the menu then imho the parent should A: Not book that restaurant or B: Feed the child ahead of time. It is pretty entitled to expect a kitchen to whip up something extra for a child who just doesn't like what is offered. Again, just my opinion, but you did ask.

I don't think anyone is asking the kitchen to "whip up something extra." The OP asked if they had those items on hand. They don't. There are some restaurants that DO have do have off-menu items on hand. Believe it or not, this spoiled child (who also works very hard for her money) often asks restaurants to "whip up" menu items the way she wants them. I am the queen of special requests for myself and I don't believe it makes me entitled. At places where it is a fixed price fixed menu option I would not ask for anything to be customized that would be a problem... but if there are off menu items easily available, I will take advantage of what is available to me. If Disney is not only able but willing to do it, what bother is it to you or anyone else? Or does it just tick you off to know that it is happening and all of these "spoiled" children are being indulged on vacation? I really can't understand why anyone would care. The question should be what is Disney's policy on it, not what do random strangers think.

I don't think anyone is asking the kitchen to "whip up something extra." The OP asked if they had those items on hand. They don't. There are some restaurants that DO have do have off-menu items on hand. Believe it or not, this spoiled child (who also works very hard for her money) often asks restaurants to "whip up" menu items the way she wants them. I am the queen of special requests for myself and I don't believe it makes me entitled. At places where it is a fixed price fixed menu option I would not ask for anything to be customized that would be a problem... but if there are off menu items easily available, I will take advantage of what is available to me. If Disney is not only able but willing to do it, what bother is it to you or anyone else? Or does it just tick you off to know that it is happening and all of these "spoiled" children are being indulged on vacation? I really can't understand why anyone would care. The question should be what is Disney's policy on it, not what do random strangers think.

Then the OP should ask Disney what their policy is, and not random strangers on a message board, who can only tell you what we have encountered.

Not to mention the huge difference there is between asking for a menu item to be altered, and asking for something not on the menu to be procured and then cooked to order.

Hey OP, both my kids used to be picky eaters when they were young so here are a few of my tips:

Vacation is not the time to try and change your child's eating habits but our kids were more receptive to trying new things on vacations. That said... I was the mom who always carried ketchup packets and little containers of peanutbutter in my purse! My kids would always eat a plain chicken breast dipped in ketchup or a roll with peanutbutter on it. Many disney restaurants will serve a plain chicken breast if you ask.Sometimes they were willing to taste something new/unusual if they had ketchup to dip it in.

At Disney if I knew we were eating somewhere that might be challenging for my kids I would make sure they ate something before we went in the restaurant, maybe a yogurt, granola bar or something similar to take the edge off. We encouraged them to try new things but no threats, there were a few times when a filling milkshake was offered up after dinner. Kids need to eat at Disney to keep their energy up.

I would not take a QS meal into a TS restaurant, just don't think it is right (just my belief I know people think it's fine).

My DS was super picky for years, one trip at the tepan restaurant in Japan he was offered seaweed salad, his older sister proclaimed "gross, not touching that" , as a sibling just to lord it over her my son ate a bit and this was the very beginning of him not being so picky! That seaweed salad incident is ledgendary in our family :rotfl: Now at age 20 he is a very adventurous eater and fun to go out with!

Good luck!:thumbsup2

Picky children (those without special needs) turn into picky adults, and you see embarrassing posts such as "my adult child/husband will only eat chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, and plain pasta." I can't imagine anyone tolerating this behavior from a healthy adult person. I truly think it's unhealthy - and best dealt with in childhood.

Good luck and have a great time :)[/QUOTE]
You kind of assume that just because a child is picky (ie has strong preferences) that they are all unhealthy. My kid will not touch mcdonalds (or any processed) nuggets with a 10 foot pole, likes some fries (but not most), won't eat 'soft' white bread or jelly (does like peanut butter in moderation but not enough to make it a meal - actually prefers sunflower seed butter... go figure!) That said sometimes when you are in a strange place with lots of very strange foods, some go-to things can make life a whole lot easier. Just because someone is looking for that on vacation does not mean that it is all they feed their kids at home.

I'm also not sure why it is irrelevant that kids have special needs. I think more and more we understand that the "weird little kid who is really smart but doesn't get it socially" of a generation ago is the aspie kid of this generation or that the kid who just couldn't control himself or sit still of the previous generation is the ADHD kid of this one. Not every kid who doesn't behave as you think they should is doing so due to bad and overly permissive parenting and I have found it is generally better to be empathetic and nonjudgmental of other parents rather than telling them everything they are doing wrong.

Mine is on the autism spectrum (what would have been aspergers before they simplified the DSM) and has sensory issues that go with that, but I rarely bring it up. Why should I? I don't feel the need to constantly excuse or apologize for my child - if someone is going to be intolerant I don't wish to shame them into being tolerant. I especially love going to Disney because there are so many kids of so many walks of life and they treat kids so well there... I never feel pressured into explaining why my kid dropped his milk or why he needs to eat a certain way. All kids are accepted for who they are for the most part there - at least by the CMs if not by all other guests. And I have posted questions asking about my "picky" kid... that's enough info for the sake of a forum about WDW.

I have found that buffets are great with mine because he can try new things with no pressure. No pressure that mommy just spent $x for a meal he won't eat, no pressure that if he doesn't like something he can't try something else. I learned the hard way that applying pressure to my child to get him to eat things did more harm than good and created a lot of anxiety I had to spend years undoing. Now at 7 he asks to try things and I am always proud of him for trying even if he doesn't like it... and he is still picky as all hell. Proteins have always been tough but sliced proteins at buffets are generally fairly bland when unsauced, have no weird lines and no heavily seasonings - if they are crusted the seasonings can be cut off, and also are texturally more pleasing because they are thinly sliced and not huge chunks of meat. That plus some kind of starchy side (rather than making mac and cheese his whole meal) and he does pretty well there. No he won't touch fruits or veggies (although recently has started being ok with apples so I am super proud of him!) All of the Disney buffets have enough kid choices that he feels comfortable trying new things but there is plenty to eat if nothing is a winner. The best advice I got was to take all pressure off and just keep offering, enjoying yourself with meals and offering at every opportunity with no pressure.

Good luck and have a great time :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
My point is that it is none of anyone's business why someone else's kid is picky and parents shouldn't have to feel the need to justify it to anyone, especially not on a message board dedicated to helping people have their dream vacations at Walt Disney World, but really no where. You don't know WHY someone is picky and how a parent chooses to handle it is their business. The OP didn't ask for suggestions about how to make her child less picky, she asked for ways to accommodate her child's taste in food while on vacation... and a whole lot of assumptions were made about her child and her as a parent.

I am getting personally annoyed that every adult with an opinion on child rearing feels free to share it in the most inappropriate places.
I am getting personally annoyed that people get personally annoyed about people having opinions when they are ASKED FOR THEM. If it annoys someone then maybe they shouldn't ask for them on a message board?

let your DS start looking at the menus and have him assist in the adrs ..quite a few of the counter services now have fantastic options...good luck

Help would be to start making dinner at home with things other than chicken and fries. Put it in front of the 7 year old. They either eat what is for dinner or go to be hungry.

It may sound harsh, but it is what you have to do as a parent to make sure your kids have proper nutrition and you as a parent can enjoy dinner too.

take away their access to snacks as well. After a week of being hungry, your child will decide being picky is not in their best interest. they will soon learn that food is good and they have been missing out.

My parents did this to me, I did this to my kids. It is so refreshing to know we can take an 8 year old and 14 year old to anyplace in the world and they will be able to eat whats on the menu.

I'm pretty certain I did NOT ask for "parenting" tips, I merely asked for opinions regarding the menu. It must be nice to sit on a high horse and dole out whatever you seem fit. My child PER HIS DOCTOR is a very fit/healthy child, so where I thank you for your modest opinion, maybe keep it to yourself next time.

My daughter is really picky too. We have gone to both places. The atmosphere at Beirgarten was fun for the kids but neither of my kids ate much. To be honest neither did. I am also a picky eater. We were able to customize a meal for my daughter at Teppen Edo. She had plain noodles. The same they give everyone else just without the sauce on it. She also had her chicken plain. They were like chicken nuggets without the breading. She ate really good here. Probably the best she ate the whole week. My kids (8 and 9) loved watching them make the food in front of us.

Thank you for the info, this makes me feel a little more at ease!

I am honestly just appalled at these responses. From one parent to another, I simply asked about menu's. Not once did I ask for anyone's close minded and ignorant assumptions. It must be so gratifying to sit behind a computer and ASSume that my child is an unhealthy child, and furthermore that I am an unfit mother for apparently only having him eat processed foods. Maybe all the trolls should be more concerned about their own families/selves since bullying happens to be a huge issue. It starts with the parents, and after reading all the responses, it's a shame what you are teaching your children.

What also is a shame is that this website is meant to be a "magical" experience, full of answers from positive people. I feel sorry for everyone that felt the need to take that away from a simple question asking about menu's.

To everyone that answered my question in a more positive note, thank you and I hope you have a magical day :)

Until we had a child in our family that is a "picky eater." I too thought the answer was just to tell them that dinner is dinner and if you are hungry enough you will eat it. I now know, that for many kids and their families its not that easy. I only wish it was that simple. When I read those kind of responses, I just roll my eyes at their naivete. Maybe it was that easy with their kid, but it certainly isn't with mine.

We fight the eating battle every single day, and honestly, a vacation to WDW is a vacation for her as well. I, too, try to find foods/restaurants where we will ALL have a nice experience.

I hope you have a great time, Esmommy!

Could one of you run to the American QS restaurant once you've ordered and are waiting for your food? Get it to take out and bring it to Biergarten to eat

Help would be to start making dinner at home with things other than chicken and fries. Put it in front of the 7 year old. They either eat what is for dinner or go to be hungry.

It may sound harsh, but it is what you have to do as a parent to make sure your kids have proper nutrition and you as a parent can enjoy dinner too.

take away their access to snacks as well. After a week of being hungry, your child will decide being picky is not in their best interest. they will soon learn that food is good and they have been missing out.

My parents did this to me, I did this to my kids. It is so refreshing to know we can take an 8 year old and 14 year old to anyplace in the world and they will be able to eat whats on the menu.
I'm sure they didn't come on here for parenting advice. :rolleyes:

Could one of you run to the American QS restaurant once you've ordered and are waiting for your food? Get it to take out and bring it to Biergarten to eat

I'm thinking they would be charged for the Biergarten as well, as it is an all you care to eat place. Everyone who sits at a table is charged.

I'm thinking they would be charged for the Biergarten as well, as it is an all you care to eat place. Everyone who sits at a table is charged.
Surely not if you explain the situation in advance? May be worth checking with them though

Surely not if you explain the situation in advance? May be worth checking with them though

No, not even a chance. If you sit at the table of any buffet or family style restaurant you will be charged. They can't police who eats and who doesn't, so they charge everyone who sits. Even people with no intention of eating at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter