Pick Pocketed

I was actually thinking about this the other day. They check people's bags but don't pat you down. It seems like someone could easily carry a folding knife in a pocket.

Or is this just during off-peak? It's been about 15 years since I've been there during the summer. Has anyone ever been frisked going through security?

I have never been frisked down. I've also noticed that sometimes they really dig through your whole bag to get to the bottom, and other times they just peak inside and say thank you. I didn't even think about people carrying a knife in their pockets!:scared1:
I believe they do it all the time now since 9-11. (Meaning checking people's bags...not carrying knives!) :)

My husband used to keep his wallet in his back pocket but was getting lower back pain from sitting on it (since it caused him to sit unevenly). He has since moved it to his front pocket where it is safer and more comfortable! At parks, he carries a fanny pack (I know - dorky-looking but useful). I carry my wallet in a sling bag that's always on my side or in front of me. I get nervous wearing it around my back where I can't keep track of it.

i hate ppl who steal. My dad has his wallet pickpocted just walking down our street, and My mom had her car window broke in when she left her purse in there for less then five min stop at walgreens. the guy got away with 900dolelrs. My rent and my dads. she was paying bills that day. i got kicked out apartment becouse that incedent, sucked.

My Fionce wears his in his back pocket and it has a chain, he aleready said hed wear it in the frount pocket at disney.

What are travelers checks?
Im trying to think how i can take 1500 with us this year and not be scared of loseing cash or soemthing..

I am relly sorry it happined

That really sucks!!

I'm always one of those "exceptionally stylish" moms, with that fanny back right in front.

I'll have to ask dh where he keeps his wallet. He's always had cargo pants on at DL, with all the many pockets. I think he keeps it in a hard to reach pocket.

I never carried anything except FastPasses in the pouch of my lanyard. I had it fall off more than once, and I didn't want to lose anything I was going to regret, like our park tickets, money, debit card, etc.

At parks, he carries a fanny pack (I know - dorky-looking but useful). I carry my wallet in a sling bag that's always on my side or in front of me. I get nervous wearing it around my back where I can't keep track of it.

Hey I resemble that remark! ;) We wear our fanny packs in the front. I love it because it keeps us hands free and I don't have to worry about people reaching into my purse. Seriously, with a fanny pack, the only thing to worry about is if someone cuts it off of you -- as long as you wear it in front and not behind. That's my excuse for wearing it in the park and I'm sticking with it!;)

What are travelers checks?
Im trying to think how i can take 1500 with us this year and not be scared of loseing cash or soemthing..

Traveler's Checks are issued by banks, and companies like American Express. Basically, if you go to the bank, give them the cash and pay them a small fee, they will exchange it or order Traveler's Checks for you. It works the same as cash. You will sometimes need 2 forms of ID to use it depending on the merchant's rules. Also, not all merchants accept traveler's checks, so you should make sure you have some $$ in cash. If TC's get lost or stolen, you can get them replaced by AmEx by calling them and giving them the numbers on the checks; not sure how the regular bank ones work... I haven't used TC's in years, so I hope this is still accurate regarding AMEX TC's. Check with your bank, credit union, etc. Sometimes they wave the fee.

Most hotels have a safe. Maybe you could convert 1/2 your funds into travelers checks to keep in the hotel safe. Then divide up the remaining half into $200 - $300 increments and use money belts.

Well lessons learned I suppose. I didn't even think this could happen at Disney World so now I treat anyplace I travel like a foreign country. Had two twenties in the outer zipper pocket of my camera bag. I was bumped in a line for a ride at Animal Kingdom but didn't think anything of it. I went to pay for something later and the zipper was open and the money gone. Ticked me off because I kept thinking I must have left it open but then after I thought awhile about it the money wouldn't have fallen out of that compartment anyway. And I'm not that absent minded especially when it comes to something like that. Then I recently read something about "pirates" other than the caribean at the parks and knew for sure it had to have been lifted. :::sigh::: Now i carry it around my neck or in my travel bag/purse that goes across the body, which you have to physical open one flap to get to another flap that contains the money in a zippered pouch. Its designed so you can't get to it in any easy, fast or smooth action. Funny how many places I've been in my life and they got me at Disney!!

Another thing guys...don't carry more than you have to with you in the parks. I tend to carry little to no cash hence why they only got what they got and use my cards. I take a primary and a backup leaving one in the safe. I put both numbers for the card companies in the cell so I can cancel quickly if need be.

Sad when you have to worry about that in hte happiest place on earth!
Just be careful and aware.

LOL, Cleavage holder. I did the same thing. We had lanyards with the plastic holders and the friend i was traveling with had hers break off. It had her entrance tickets, credit card, drivers license, hotel key card and money. Fortunately someone picked it up and turned it in. I have one of those neck wallets and kept that and my cell phone in my bra. My dd was mortified but i later saw her doing the same thing.

Dad has worn the military clear ID holder...similiar to a lanyard but with a velcro pounch instead of the ziploc thing, with cash and cards in it. We were advised one time going through the turnstiles to put it under the shirt so it was not visible visible (even though card/cash were between other things and not visible) because some had had them physically ripped off by thieves! I was surprised that a CM would say that but hey, was glad to be advised that stuff had happened.

I'll have to ask dh where he keeps his wallet. He's always had cargo pants on at DL, with all the many pockets. I think he keeps it in a hard to reach pocket.
Probably with buttons or velcro closures, too. That's another reason I like cargo pants or shorts; not only are the pockets lower and often in the front, but they are much harder to reach into.

I just came back from an overseas trip and even over there they were recommending that everyone (including the men) carry their bags in front of them, and put their wallets in their front pocket if they didn't have a bag. It was funny to see people wearing their backpacks in front of them :laughing: but they said that people have literally had their bags cut off of them from behind, and by the time they realize what's happening, the bag, and the theif, is gone. :sad2: This probably wouldn't be a concern in Disneyland since they do bags checks at security (How would they get a knife in the park?:scared1: ) but it's good to know for personal safety anywhere ,that we live in the real world, even in Disneyland, and bad things do happen to good people sometimes.
Sorry to hear about it though...

Where were you, incidentally?

I was in Vietnam in April, and had my camera in a cross-the-shoulder bag. One day it was pouring rain, and we stepped under an awning to look at a map...we were there no more than 20 seconds and someone ganked my camera from my bag. I realized it maybe a minute after it happened, but of course it was too late. I lost over 175 pictures. I was more upset about the pictures than the actual camera...I figure it probably fed a family that night. Oh well.

It's amazing how good they are though.

Has anyone ever been frisked going through security?

There have been many discussions about what, exactly, bag check is for, mainly on other boards. And the main thing is...it's NOT security. It's bag check.

Part of the purpose is to make people *feel* safer. Another part, reading between the lines from people in the know, is to slow everyone down so the *real* security forces of Disneyland Resort can spot the bad guys.

All I've had people look for is glass bottles, really. I think when bag check finds something bad, like a knife or gun, it's by accident. :upsidedow

My Cousins Just got back from a 5 day Disneyland Vacation and On the line for the second ride he felt his wallet move and later when he went to get money his wallet was missing. He lost his 120$ a credit Card and his Drivers License. Weird being pick pocketed in the Happiest Place On Earth.

And didn't turn around or feel his pocket or anything at that moment? :confused3

I hope he reported the crime to security. He could file a police report if he wanted too as well.

And didn't turn around or feel his pocket or anything at that moment? :confused3

I hope he reported the crime to security. He could file a police report if he wanted too as well.

Dreams, the OP is from 2007. Doubtful you'll get a response from that poster. ;)

Anyone else notice this is a 2 year old thread that was bumped???

LANYARDS!! around your neck. that is the only way we carry around cards, cash, hotel keys etc.

Dreams, the OP is from 2007. Doubtful you'll get a response from that poster. ;)

Anyone else notice this is a 2 year old thread that was bumped???

Eeeeesh! - hits self on the head - I usually catch that. Thank you for pointing it out.

anlashokna, what were you searching for that pulled this one up? :goodvibes

Of course it's a nice reminder for all of us: People are people. Everywhere.

Ah, Danger, I did NOT notice that! Drat!

However, I will mention that just for the sake of your health, it's best to not carry wallets in back pockets. That'll mess up a spine like not much else...

hmmm, that's another old thread that people have bumped up for some reason or another...weird...

Anyway, I'll still answer. :) I wear a cross body bag that hold all my "goodies", from extra pins, to my wallet, to my phone, to my camera. DBF carries his wallet in his front pocket most days, it bothers him when it's in his back pocket. But, maybe I'll get him a small wallet for our DL trips, so he can just carry something smaller. He's also carried his wallet in his pin bag but he forgets and freaks out thinking he's lost it. Sometimes I also carry it for him. :)

When I travel, I carry a small sling backpack that has a little zippered cell phone pocket on the strap that falls right on your chest when you're wearing it. I put my cell phone somewhere else and use that little pocket for my cash, credit cards, entry tickets, etc. It's perfect and pretty much impossible to steal out of, unless the whole bag was cut off.

There have been many discussions about what, exactly, bag check is for, mainly on other boards. All I've had people look for is glass bottles, really. I think when bag check finds something bad, like a knife or gun, it's by accident. :upsidedow

We told our niece they were looking for chocolate. She asked the bag check lady if she'd found mine. It was a funny (have to be there) moment. So now, in my mind, they are looking only for chocolate :).

Somebody *attempted* to lift my husband's wallet from his fanny pack 16 years ago. They didn't get it, luckily, and he joined the rest of us in wearing his fannypack in the front. (Ugly things, those, but I do have a dedicated DL fannypack!)

It did teach us a lesson, though, and we always bring traveler's checks, small amounts of cash, and disney rewards cards, leaving CC at the hotel safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter