pick a pearl setting

it does come in a small box

Im wearing a dolphin w/the pearl I picked out in Aug. Going back 7 wks from today and have the dolphin encounter booked on my 50th birthday

My Stepdaughter did this in August and got an 8mm pearl...unfortunately we didn't have it set (she wanted a ring but knows she'll outgrow it yet) but plan on it soon. I may *steal* it from her and have it set for XMAS and wrap it to give as a gift.

We had so much fun doing this and it was one of her must dos for the trip. We will do it every trip from now on as it is a fun experience.

My Stepdaughter did this in August and got an 8mm pearl...unfortunately we didn't have it set (she wanted a ring but knows she'll outgrow it yet) but plan on it soon. I may *steal* it from her and have it set for XMAS and wrap it to give as a gift.

We had so much fun doing this and it was one of her must dos for the trip. We will do it every trip from now on as it is a fun experience.

When you have it set, just be sure to let the jeweler know that it's for a young, growing girl. He can then guide you to settings that will be easily upsized. Some designs make this impossible or difficult to do.....for instance bands with design on the band, you'll never be able to upsize properly....thin bands can be difficult to upsize also. Then when she's outgrown it she can keep the same setting that she's grown to love (and has the memories of a stepmom who loved her enough to steal it, lol).

One quick word of warning about the rings: I did the pick a pearl in Japan a couple weeks ago, and it was so much fun! I picked out a ring to have the pearl set in, and since I don't know my size the girl guessed and picked a size for me and it fit perfectly on the first try. When I got home, the ring is too big! It was really hot outside and hot in the Japan store, and my fingers must have been swollen from the heat. I can still wear the ring on another finger, but I'm not used to wearing one on that finger and it feels weird, and it's not where I wanted to be able to wear it. So make sure your fingers aren't swollen from the heat, or go in knowing your ring size!

Also, it seems that they slopped some glue on the pearl and I can't get it off. I didn't notice this until I got it home, because I picked it just a couple days before coming home and they said not to wear it for a couple days to let it set. I'm pretty disappointed because the pearl is beautiful, but now it has smears all over it.

I noticed when I came back to pick up my ring that the customer in front of me bought a gold setting, and hers was wrapped in a pretty little Disney box. She did not ask for any special box, that's just what they put it in. Mine was a less expensive sterling silver setting, and they just put it in a plain white cardboard ring box. I guess you get a nice box if you spend more money. It doesn't really matter, but it was kind of a let down after I saw the other lady's cute WDW box, I was looking forward to having my own cute little WDW box and didn't get one.

When you have it set, just be sure to let the jeweler know that it's for a young, growing girl. He can then guide you to settings that will be easily upsized. Some designs make this impossible or difficult to do.....for instance bands with design on the band, you'll never be able to upsize properly....thin bands can be difficult to upsize also. Then when she's outgrown it she can keep the same setting that she's grown to love (and has the memories of a stepmom who loved her enough to steal it, lol).

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely remember that when I bring it. I have to be real careful when I sneak it out of her room---hopefully she won't be looking for it---I'd hate to have to tell her I took it and ruin the surprise which would be better then the panic attack she'll have if it is truly missing! :scared:

I have two DS who probably won't want to pick out pearls...I guess I'm on my own with this one. I can't wait to see the settings in person!

How much are the Mickey cages?

There are Mickey cages? When I was at the Japan pavillion a couple weeks ago, I didn't see any settings that had Mickey on them. Maybe they are at DTD? I would be interested in seeing what they look like. I love jewelry that has a subtle Mickey on it!

I have two DS who probably won't want to pick out pearls...I guess I'm on my own with this one. I can't wait to see the settings in person!

I used to have pick-a-pearl parties at home years ago - my DS, between 7 and 13 I'd say during those parties, LOVED to pick out the oysters and then poke around inside to find the pearls! You never know...

I used to have pick-a-pearl parties at home years ago - my DS, between 7 and 13 I'd say during those parties, LOVED to pick out the oysters and then poke around inside to find the pearls! You never know...

Oh yeah, the prying open and digging the pearl out part was pretty gross. I imagine that would be right up a boy's alley!

hmmm..perhaps they will be interested. :laughing:
Do they open the oysters or can we? One of the pictures in this thread showed the CM opening the oyster.

I'm hoping they wash the pearl before they set it ? :confused3

There are Mickey cages? When I was at the Japan pavillion a couple weeks ago, I didn't see any settings that had Mickey on them. Maybe they are at DTD? I would be interested in seeing what they look like. I love jewelry that has a subtle Mickey on it!

I know people got them on DCL, so I presumed they'd have them at WDW.

Great tread loved reading and looking at the photos. I plan to do this next week.:cheer2: :cheer2:

It came in a box with a can with the oyster in the can. DH got it for me for my birthday on the cruise. I think it was $29.99 or maybe $39.99. I love it and wear it all the time. After seeing the other choices at the world, No way would I trade mickey. I would like to get the miney one also thoe. She was just like mickey but had a red bow inbetween the ears. I have never even taken a pic. of it. I would have to figure out how to post one here, by uploading it to the dis sight and all but might work on it. Mum

It came in a box with a can with the oyster in the can. DH got it for me for my birthday on the cruise. I think it was $29.99 or maybe $39.99. I love it and wear it all the time. After seeing the other choices at the world, No way would I trade mickey. I would like to get the miney one also thoe. She was just like mickey but had a red bow inbetween the ears. I have never even taken a pic. of it. I would have to figure out how to post one here, by uploading it to the dis sight and all but might work on it. Mum

Hmmm..yet another reason to get my husband to go on a DC.

This is from 2003. It is 7 1/4 MM and we had the mount added when we bought the pearl. The push pin is for size comparison.

IMG_1198.jpg

I LOVE this!!:goodvibes Plain and simple, and yet somehow elegant! Thanks for sharing!

Two questions ...

1. Has anyone used their pearl as a charm on a charm bracelet?

2. Is it true that they "pre-load" the oysters w/the pearls? I thought I read/heard that the oysters were dead and they opened them up and placed the pearls inside them. Anyone have any idea if this is true or not?

It is my understanding that the oysters are "seeded". They are then xrayed to ensure that a pearl is inside. I don't think they are "pre-loaded".

Also, by the time the oyster gets to the tank, it is dead. There is no "oyster killing" going on at Disney! LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter